ITT: old Google services that were eventually cancelled

pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

theintercept.com/2016/11/26/washington-post-disgracefully-promotes-a-mccarthyite-blacklist-from-a-new-hidden-and-very-shady-group/
theintercept.com/2016/10/11/in-the-democratic-echo-chamber-inconvenient-truths-are-recast-as-putin-plots/
counterpunch.org/2017/02/24/the-only-fake-news-that-probably-threw-the-election-to-trump-was-not-russian/
counterpunch.org/2017/03/28/fake-news-the-unravelling-of-us-empire-from-within/
counterpunch.org/2016/12/06/post-fact-politics-reviewing-the-history-of-fake-news-and-propaganda/
thelibertybeacon.com/counterpunch-russian-propagandists-washington-posts-shallow-smear/
truthdig.com/avbooth/item/joel_whitney_cia_propaganda_cold_war_scheer_intelligence_20170317
truthrevolt.org/news/truthrevolt-makes-universitys-fake-news-warning-list
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

pic unrelated

froogle.com points to Google Shopping, which is so gimped it's almost useless.

Remember Google Knol? It was supposed to be a paid wikipedia in which articles had a single author that could choose to display ad content within his page.

no

code.google.com

google.com

Google used to have a search engine that returned useful results

dont-be-evil.google.com

This.

Google Wave. It was the SystemD of Google products. So much mission creep.

Scroogle was cool too, but it got attacked one day.

Remember Google Gnoo? It was some open source sharing thing that never really took off, iirc. Released a couple of funky compilers and tools.

Googoth

Google Video. So many fucking videos that were only on Google Video whos creators didn't bother migrating to YouTube.

There were so many google services I used when I was a normalfag. I thought "if I get this account I should fully utilyze all it has to offer!"

I uploaded everything to Google Health, I used Google Docs to upload files before it rebranded as Google Drive, I used Google Video when it existed and even after Youtube was invented. Google Calc, Google Plus, Google X Y and Z. Remminissing about this shit isn't productive, it's terrifying. This thread is just a "Remember when?" thread that nostalgicly looks back at a successful Jewish invention.

Google Video was great when I was in public school and the admins had sites like Youtube and Dailymotion blocked. That was back when there was some semblance of competition between community driven video sites. RIP.

I miss the standalone Google Talk client. Shit was convenient. Now I have to have the EXTREMELY bloated and frequently-crashing Firefox browser open if I want to accept IMs.

google search. it used to let you search for strings of alphanumeric text n sheeit
(tfw never even supported full ascii or even just the printable ascii chars)
they replaced it with a service which only provide a handful of state sponsored answers to questions i dont even care about,
and can only be easily viewed over clearnet

Yeah, every major change they make to "fight spam" or whatever ends up making the results more lame. Lots of advanced syntax no longer works as expected.

Also as they increased indexing speed it often reduced results quality. Say some major news story happens and you want to find prexisting web history of some person related to the story. You go to Google and search for "Hans McDick" the person in the news story (or maybe "Hans McDick" -keyword from news story to eliminate new related articles ). You get ten trillion results, all of which are unrelated news articles because Google already reindexed every page on the internet, and when reindexing old news articles it brought in the keywords from the new story because the new story appeared in the sidebar. So you get literally every news article ever made in the search results and cannot find the old blog posts or whatever that Hans McDick personally made because they are now buried on page 13000

And I would pay good money to be able do searches on old indexes. That's probably reserved for the alphabets but IMO would be the true ultimate google feature. As it is, results are too ephemeral. Anything can be wiped from the internet and when the pages get reindexed in another five minutes it's gone. Which also makes me think about how much more reliable "cached page" feature used to be.

Google Spaces

You mean the first page didn't just consist of the same old 10 sites?

I meant Code Search.

I hate this so much. There needs to be some kind of operator that means "don't include pages with this phrase simply because you found any of my other search terms within it". It'd probably be hard implement, but it'd be worth it.

Oh God this. Google Talk worked so well and was super lightweight. This Hangouts faggotry is awful.

Yeah, about that, have they been tweaking their search algorithm again? I can't seem to get proper hits anymore. Never had issues before, but for some reason it became harder in the past 4-6 months.

Muh fake news, mostly.
They've punted a lot of blogspot & similarly based news sites as well. Like Pamela (((Gellar))) got shut down by the original Shut Downs.
I needed a story about muzzies invading latin america so went into my bookmarks and the whole site was suspended.

It's kinda weird that you would expect Faceberg to be the most controlling, due to how their site and content function, but they're pretty free-wheeling in comparison to other pozzed to shit tech companies. All the shit I expected of FB first came out of twitter and jewtube. FB is solely relying on algorithm lately while the others are manually banning and taking down.
I also notice without specific searches some of my anti-libtard leftie mags are getting pushed farther and farther back.
(also related to fakenews BS:
theintercept.com/2016/11/26/washington-post-disgracefully-promotes-a-mccarthyite-blacklist-from-a-new-hidden-and-very-shady-group/
theintercept.com/2016/10/11/in-the-democratic-echo-chamber-inconvenient-truths-are-recast-as-putin-plots/
counterpunch.org/2017/02/24/the-only-fake-news-that-probably-threw-the-election-to-trump-was-not-russian/
counterpunch.org/2017/03/28/fake-news-the-unravelling-of-us-empire-from-within/
counterpunch.org/2016/12/06/post-fact-politics-reviewing-the-history-of-fake-news-and-propaganda/
thelibertybeacon.com/counterpunch-russian-propagandists-washington-posts-shallow-smear/
truthdig.com/avbooth/item/joel_whitney_cia_propaganda_cold_war_scheer_intelligence_20170317
truthrevolt.org/news/truthrevolt-makes-universitys-fake-news-warning-list )

mega RIP/shoutout to DivX's stage6, first to 1080.
Also first to show why no one else did 1080 at the time, lmao million dollar a month bw bill.
Their body was not ready for this level of normie shitposting.
I remember one of the site staff complaining 10% of free account usage alone easily came from 'youtube poops' redone in 1080 (a lot not even re-encoded, just upsized so grainy and bloated) and linked from already 'poop'ular channels, along with "x reacts to y" reacting to those same poops reuploaded
Between preteen pandering autists and black shitposters they were slaughtered. Straight up innernet highway mugging.

Google reader

Functional services that did what I wanted with minimal or no bloat.

I never used it, but I do remember the outcry when they got rid of it. How do other RSS readers compare to it? How does sage compare?

LOL. It's really no wonder that no other site besides YouTube can survive given the terabytes of shit that people want to dump onto the internet without a moment's thought. Youtube poops are one thing but now we have people uploading 10 hour 1080p videos of one Spongebob clip on loop just so people can watch it for 30 seconds, laugh at the concept, and then stop watching.

I'm really enjoying the fact preteen shitposting is costing Alphabet millions of dollars.
Then again, the reason why they can afford it is no laughing matter at all.

1. Being able to share static content plainly from google drive (like static sites)
2. IGoogle. IGoogle was nice despite being spyware.

I used it for a bit, and it was nice to have things synced for me, but my alternative was to just use local rss feeds. Now though, I find that there's very few sites that I actually want to spend time reading, so I don't really use it much at all, just a light weight rss reader built into the browser Safari.

;_;

I'm glad it died. I'm already forced to use google for mail. I don't need anything else wired into the botnet. Host my own tt-rss server on my own linux box at home.

Double-edged sword that one, rofl.
An unfortunate affect of every toddler having a tablet now, no site can truly become 'the new jewtube' nor become as popular because they'd need to enact some form of quality control to stay up.
Damn, I knew I had a good pic for that but I must've thrown it on an external drive during a Holla Forums folder cleanup. I remember a 'reaction guys' meme pic I had that had 3 lolis and Happy Negro that would work great.
And yeah those 10 hour things are nuts. Animation is more common but at least it's on the lower end. The 10 hour music video and tumblr-favourite tv show clips are horrendously large and uploaded in 4k quite often.
There must be so many alphabet techs cursing like mad that shit don't break no TOS.
And lately you have normies discovering shitposting, and making constant Monsters Inc/Bee Movie/Shrek edits, and now even Sean Spicer is a meme.
"Sean Spicer for 10 hours except every time he yells at the press corps his face gets smaller"
"Full Bee Movie except every time Bee is said the movie gets faster and Renee Zellweger is replaced by Sean Spicer with Shrek's face"
man, normie posting is a ride of its own.

this btw, the last 2 years have utterly ruined google's search functionality for good. You practically have to remember one specific sentence from whatever you're looking for now.

All that is needed is a higher barrier to entry, and these tablet wielding normies are marginalized.

>TEN YEARS OF FUCKING NOTHING

Holy fucking fuckerfuck BumpTop.. I remember that. Now that was some dank shit back then!

Hell yeah. I remember bump top. I took part in the first round of beta tests.

Orkut was the only good thing Google ever did in its worthless life.

Not only it was a piracy haven, but also a great hook up central (at leat, if you were BR like me or indian). Plus, it had good communities, unlike any other social media we have today.A pity it ended.

orkut had privacy issues bigger than facebook. though yes, facebook never had that orkut vibe

Wave was kind of cool, though plagued by a lack of focus. I wish they had incorporated some of the features into Google Docs.

Looking at some vids and pics of it, I have a very strong impression that it is a horrible idea. Everything looks so messy. My idea of a good desktop is vastly different from that.

uhh the problem with google and bing search (and prob all the others) is that they "quantize" your search into some normalfag bullshit. for example if you wanted to find an article called "just this beaver", it may merely return results about Justin Beiber. there is no way to turn this off. google used to let you tell it to fuck off and find somewhat exact strings, but now the functionality is almost non-existent.

not to mention now you can't disable safe search (who knows maybe normalfags are able to disable this by logging in and using a good guy IP address) and shit is removed for DMCA (yes, fucking _DMCA_ for a fucking text _search engine_)

Web search engines such as google should not be regarded as a utility but a medium for commerce to take place, and any actual usefulness to the consumer arises by accident or by a side effect of the company tweaking its product to increase profit.

underrated

I've had an idea for what I like to believe would be a Google-killer in terms of accurate search results, but sadly I don't think I'll ever sit down and write it, mostly because I just know I wouldn't be able to pay for adequate hosting if it ever got even remotely popular, and it would probably require hiring curators also. The idea is basically that instead of a site like reddit, users still submit links that helped them, but only the ones that meet our criteria make it into the database, and the site also functions like any other fucking search engine website - no social shit whatsoever. Nothing new, nothing fancy. Just real fucking results that actually help people and aren't paid advertisements. Dead links get reported and purged from the database. I probably would add some new features too, like being able to blacklist domains or to optionally use preset filters so certain things never show up in your searches. I believe the domain blocking thing used to be an option for Google users if you had an account, but I never did. Categorizing websites so that search results can exclude entire categories is something I've not seen yet, although searx implements something similar in how it categorizes the search engines it aggregates, and you can also remove search engines from your results. But nothing along the lines of: "Jewgle, don't show me any more Jewish cancer." - "Yes, sir. The customer is always right." - "Thanks, Jewgle." or even as apolitical as: "Stop showing me fucking dictionaries, I'm looking for literary discussion." - "Okay, no more dictionaries. Got it." or "Can you only list sites that work without javascript?" - "No problem!"

The problem would also be getting people to willingly submit enough links. This would be the perfect search engine, but only if people willingly submitted what is essentially their bookmarks - webpages that have a use to them and likely other people. A search engine database has to be fuckhuge to give people decent results when they search for shit. So I suppose if I ever did make this search engine, I would start by pulling up my bookmarks and dumping them in there, most of them. Then every time I find a decent search result on Google, add it to my search engine. But even if I made the source available, people would have to trust me that I'm not jewing them and selling their data to advertisers.

Still, a search engine that has no bullshit padding, only real results, no paid ads, that lets you filter shit, and almost never returns dead links? Take my money.

Correcting for typos, synonyms etc. was a mistake. The reason google got big in the first place was that while everyone else were trying to return as many results as possible, google was good at sorting them by relevance.

This fucking piece of garbage. I'm pretty sick on the new Macs we have now too. Fortunately, I carry a copy of Gentoo on my USB that I boot into or mount as VM.

t. Jewgle Engineer

I feel for you bro. I even liked the fact that I could see the history of wherever I went.

"Don't Be Evil"

Wait, so they actually offer their tracking back to you as a service? Disgusting.

oh god please don't remind me. I had to move certain company's documentation there, it was awful system.

What's so bad about it other then botnet?

I remember half the articles on it were Mormons writing about their fucking religious feelings like it was factual information

They use to have a form of context search, which I forgot the name of.

You'd just offer a list of keywords related to what you were looking for and it would suggest what it could be. Great for when you don't know exactly what the thing you search for is called, but you know what it relates to.

You can sort of do the same with regular search, but it's not nearly as effective.