Microsoft active hours, do you feel in charge user ?

ctrl.blog/entry/windows-active-hours
Archive.org link for tor users
web.archive.org/web/20170318060840/https://ctrl.blog/entry/windows-active-hours

Remember to save archive.org page with this tool:
github.com/hartator/wayback-machine-downloader

Other urls found in this thread:

support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/1f68b6f6-32d7-7598-c4f8-056df8d15365/active-hours-in-windows-10
seagate.com/staticfiles/docs/pdf/datasheet/disc/desktop-hdd-data-sheet-ds1770-1-1212us.pdf
blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/10/07/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14942-for-pc/#baABlCqWDJZHzLeQ.97
microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm
askubuntu.com/questions/35869/why-cant-files-be-renamed-by-using-f2-on-the-open-files-dialog-screen
bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=325150
patreon.com/pippin
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantone#Intellectual_property
superpowered.com/latency
voat.co/v/Ancile
quora.com/Is-Blender-used-by-professionals
superuser.com/questions/1110265/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-restarting-the-computer-after-installing-updates/1125051
superuser.com/questions/957267/how-to-disable-automatic-reboots-in-windows-10
support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/18581/lifecycle-policy-faq-windows-products
thepiratebay.org/torrent/12406246/Windows_XP_Professional_SP3_x86_-_Black_Edition_2015.9.12
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Wew? What the fuck do they mean "active hours?" I don't understand this. if I have windwews home edition and I leave something on to torrent or process or whatever for more than 12 hours it shuts down? Or microsoft takes control of it for their own personal bitcoin mining projects? The article said for "Updates" but obviously this makes no sense unless they're updating everyday. They also mentioned you select the hours so If I select the hours of 8 am to 8pm and want to watch something online at 10pm I'm SOL? What the fuck?? I'm actually just laughing at this shit right now, windows users are literally cucking their machines and electric bills to micro$heckel if I'm not being trolled or misunderstanding this

support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/1f68b6f6-32d7-7598-c4f8-056df8d15365/active-hours-in-windows-10
Looks like outside of active hours they reserve the right for unconditional forced updates and restarts on the users. So it's kind of like an "Avoid rape" pass for these select 12/18 hour periods of the day. I assume to really hammer home this rolling release windows as a service shit. Pretty funny really

bump

Active hours is a tool that MS added so that people can say when the updates are going to be done since they don't have a choice to install them or not.

Yes, you can't stop the updates you can only have a maximum of 12 hours of planned use of your computer then if there are updates it will block the use of the pc and do it's shit.

If youre on 10 you deserve everything that happens to you. Literally no excuse to be on that shit

For people who goes on Holla Forums yeah
But most users don't know the difference between a browser and a search engine sooo

I became painfully aware of this today.

Between Windows 10, Android and iOS, the future of mainstream operating systems is so bright you need shades to look at it. Kind of like a nuclear explosion.

This is just like the old time sharing rules on mainframes. What they're saying is by using their OS you agree to time share your hardware. Right now it's updates, later on it'll be some type of software like [email protected]/* */ to shill it to the normalfags

Hopefully it implodes like a supernova and we end up with pre 2000 net again.

I'll make an informative post about what this means so that you can laugh about this (or cry if you are a winfag).

Active hours is a setting in the control panel where you set the time of the day where you expect to be using your computer. If you work at a company, say you arrive at 8 am and leave at 4 pm, you set the active hours to that. This gives Winblows the freedom to autoupdate the computer when you are not using the computer.

How does this work for a "home" user then?
Glad that you asked, when you are not at work, you set your computer's active hours to be from 4 pm to 11 pm, and perhaps 6 am to 8 am if you are an early bird. Great, this leaves all those other hours for autoupdating the comptuer.

How does this work in practice?
I use Winblows 10 for both work and home (because adobe and games) and frankly I am getting real tired of it real fast. Even though I have disabled telemetrics, spying, blocked IPs in the host file, installed registry hacks to prevent Windows from rebooting the computer, the comptuer still reboots. I use my computer at home for different online monitoring (RSS, IRC, notifications (plus torrents)) so instead of turning it off I just leave it on during the night. Lo' and behold, every week the computer at some point reboots by itself and installs updates I have not even approved.

The old days of Windows 7 volunteer updates is non-existent on any non windows server OS. Windows 10 will force update: windows updates, update 1607, service packs, graphic drivers, cpu drivers, audio drivers, monitor drivers and the rest. It doesn't give a flying fuck if you have gone arm's length to install beta drivers, stable drivers, latest drivers for your GPU, it will install drivers when they arrive in Microshit's repo.

This new update OP mentioned in the post, will allow premium/pro users to set their active hours to more than 12 hours in the control panel. Which means that there will be a guaranteed uptime for the computer for those times. If you want uptime, go get Debian and run your shit there, winblows is not an OS for leaving your computer on at night.

You can see the imediate effect of the autoupdate autoreboot feature on YouTube. Many streamers and gamers battle the constant problem of Wincucks rebooting in the middle of a game, streaming event or even when rendering videos.
Luckily, my computer only reboots when I don't use it and it is in rest mode. But it's just a matter of time until it doesn't give a fuck anymore.

Thanks for the post
Really nice

But my autism can't be avoided
krita, gimp, synfig, blender, scribus, inkscapre, pencil.

implying it doesn't send anything.

Implying that windows hasn't already thought about it and won't change it in the updates.

It's like there are unknown backdoors.
Surprising isn't it.

I like being right all the time.
Got any video to enjoy the salt ?

I don't even give a fugg. My phone is CIA central, my facebook is 1984 central and my Spotify tells me what I should listen to. It's just baseline shifting until the bucket runs over.
I've accepted the imminent doom of my species. Within 300 years, humanity will reset like Atlantis again and the shitposted memes will be like biblical stories for the future.

Anything connected to the Internet is compromised. Any website running JavaScript is potentially collecting info. Any OS with prop blobs is potentially collecting data on you. Use of any website or service that is free makes you a product and if you pay for it you are paying for your data to be sold.

Picture related.

Is following possible:
1. Create script that sets active hours from $current_hour-1 to $current_hour+11.
2. Set it to run every 11 hours.
That would keep PC in active hours permanently.

Well it's your own fault if you're using smartphone, facebook, OS with blobs, browser with JS, and other nasty things. Normies might have the excuse of ignorance, but anyone who posts here only does those things willingly. So it's your own fault.
Probably a lot of people are addicted to those things and related stuff (modern video games, HD movies) and don't even consider trying to resist them. So their conclusion is that it's impossible to do anything. But in fact, it's very possible, if someone actually wants to.

Guess what OP, thats because you're a consumer, and it is rather generous. Look at Seagate desktop drives whos MTBF is calculated using 2400 power on hours per year - or 6.5 per day

seagate.com/staticfiles/docs/pdf/datasheet/disc/desktop-hdd-data-sheet-ds1770-1-1212us.pdf

B-b-but muh HGST you'll say. Yeah their datasheets for DeskStars say 24x7 availability but have superscript stating that

Which is basically the same thing, they assume that the disk will be spun down sleeping most of the time.

Anyways back to your origonal crying about updates, stop being a faggot and run a WSUS or SCCM server. You retards memed windows in to being insecure because people never applied udpates. Now that Microsoft fixed this problem, you're crying even more. You made your bed, now lie in it. It isnt Holla Forums's fault you're too incompent to configure your own OS.

I'm sure you faggots will say muh Linux. Guess what, if you're too incompetent to run a WSUS or SCCM server, then you're far too incompetent to run any Linux distro outside of Andriod which came on your phone.

You have given up without even trying.
I'll give up when I'm dead.

No, it is collecting info.
In security you don't assume that you aren't vulnerable, especially when you have a black box in the middle of it.

True.
That's why tor, gnunet, heads and other exist.

Haven't you understand that there are backdoors in the system ?
If someone finds a trick it will get BTFO when Microsoft estimates that there are too much people using it.

You clearly do since you're in this thread. And since plenty of Linux drivers are just binary blobs.

Linux-libre and Debian's default kernel exist.

for 12 hours your computer is reserved solely for the botnet.

GPEdit.msc -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update

* No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates
- Enable

* Configure Automatic Updates
- 2. Notify for download and notify for install

In extreme cases:

* Specify intranet Microsoft update service location
- 127.0.0.1 in all fields

* Do not connect to any Microsoft update service location
- Enable

And suddenly you have control again to install updates when you so damn please, and even disable windows update if you want to.

--> >>727487

LITERAL FUCKING BOTNET

I tought this was an april fools joke, but it's kinda too early for that. If this is true, we have reached the next level of botnet.
It's kinda nice here in GNU plus Linux land. I can update whenever I want and restart only on kernel updates. How can people even use windows without raging over updates. Updates on windows take way too long to install, think of all the wasted electrical energy. On linux pacman or apt usually takes only about a minute or in most cases even less if you run it daily and even if you don't update in weeks it won't take long to get the latest packages.
Switch to GNU plus Linux today, get back your freedoms and control over your hardware.

Make it not shit first. I don't want to insert a single text command to solve any of the 80 quadrillion problems I'm guaranteed to run into or install any of the software I want.

I'll be hanging out here with updates-disabled-Win7 in the meantime.

Tell us about what we need to fix and someone will try to fix it. Whining that GNU plus Linux is shit whithout pointing out problems won't help. What is so shit about GNU plus Linux that makes system unusable for you?
There is your problem. CLI is currently most efficient way of communicating with the computer. Navigating through menus to change settings is retarded. You need to be able to appreciate the beauty of the CLI in order to use UNIX-like systems efficiently.
There is absolutely no reason to use Windows. Unless you are hardcore gaymer, I don't see how you can't accomplish anything you do now in Windows with GNU plus Linux.

This user was spoon fed all his life, he will die has he lived, without effort.

Navigating through menus is accessible. You can learn how to use a menu-based system just by using it, without reading a manual. That's often preferrable, especially if you want your system to be useful for people who aren't willing to read manuals to do simple tasks, i.e. most people.

Command line interfaces are good, and I use them a lot, but you're delusional if you think they're suitable for every situation and every user.

there should be less users

Indeed. And with that computer literacy goes down the pooper.
Take for example Don't tell me that you know how to do that without looking it up on the internet. Any sufficiently complex software still needs a manual. Of course CLI is not good for absolutely everything, but in case of system configuration editing config file is a lot simpler than navigating tons of menus and flipping tabs like a madman in order to find some burried checkbox that is not even visible if window is not manually resized.

Ever heard of search feature?

this setting is saved upon reboot.

Let me just open up the google.

1. If you can find the registry entry for the setting then yes.
2. If Micoshit is smart, they'll have the setting only affect the computer upon reboot.

The perfect solution would be to block updates being installed with a registry hack that is still not discovered.

Stay desperate user

Again you retards, you do realize that you can do this with SCCM?

I was referring to text editor search feature. Not google. My point was that it's faster to use search feature (e.g. in vim '/') than to navigate menus. Changing 100KB text file with text editor is way faster than with GUI menus. Imagine required size of GUI to edit 100KB of key-value pairs. I don't think you have enough screen space to even display them all at once. Also configs are usually well comented so you don't realy need to use google, information is just there. There are also man pages which work offline and contain other usefull information about the application. In conclusion: text style config files are here to stay. No one will install GUI on servers just to configure apache. Stay ignorant user.

That assumes you know what the parameter is called. And to make an apples and apples comparision, if you knew what the parameter was called than you'd also know the path to the GPO.

Thats why disclosure triangles exist.

Each GPO generally has a description of how to configure it assuming it isnt self explanatory.

Because we're stuck in the 1980s where internet access isnt prevalent.

Because remote management tools dont exist? On my domain controllers I have Server Core installed and it doesnt have a local GUI. I can still use the GUI tools on a remote computer.

Stay jelly that after more than 2 decades Linux configuration tools are still stuck in the dark ages.

But with GPO path you usually need greater amount of information (locate the main configuration program, locate sub-menu, locate n-additional sub-menus, locate correct tab, locate correct entry), compared to config file (file path, parameter name).

You just made the problem worse by further segmenting the entries and increasing number of actions needed to change something.

Good for you. But why install additional programs when editor can do the same? Ahh... Server Core, Windows Server, I assume those programs write configuration in XML format. Now I understand why you need GUIs to edit configurations :^).

But what if I am in some high security data center and need to change something but outbound traffic is blocked? Man pages will still be there.

*GNU/Linux. And using gigabytes of .net frameworks to edit server settings is progress how? There is no need to complicate things that should be simple.

Microsoft didn't fix any problems. Me letting you know what time I'm going to shoot you with a gun doesn't solve the problem of you not being able to say "no" to me shooting at you.

We're not. Explain to all your normie friends why it's bad for them.

le_xorg.conf_faec.jpeg

/this

The Terms of Service for Win10 are so odious that I refuse to participate. I refuse to use MSDN, .NET, MSVS, compile anything for the Wangblows environment, etc. The sooner everyone drops Windows the better off we will all be.

This is retarded logic. Win7 will be discontinued eventually. If you play games you'll need some Windows version for dual boot if you don't want to go through the hassle and incompatibilities of PCI passthrough.

Sometimes I get the impression that microshaft is trying to destroy the PC platform altogether. But since they don't have anything competitive in other areas like smartphones and shit I don't know why they are doing this.

I think Microsoft is wanting a future were you a use device that a thin client for Microsoft Azure.

There are no sub menus to find GPOs.

There are no tabs to find GPOs.

You've never managed group policy for an organization have you?

You've never used enterprise class software have you? Take VMware vCenter in high availability mode. Config files are generated dynamically by dozens python scripts whenever failover occurs. If you want to add a firewall rule to allow external clients to connect to the PostgreSQL database you get to edit python code. Pic related is what I got to locate (its undocumented) and edit so I could pull data in to MSSQL. Stop larping that you've ever done anything with configuration files in any real program. All your examples are literally baby software.

Remote Registry you retard

You do realize MS had remote management long before .NET existed?

Right, which is why you have to install 50 depenencies just to whatever package you want installed.

They did. When was the last time something like Code Red was a problem.

It already was. Mainstream support ended a couple years ago. And none of you retards here have a support contract with them.

There is no hassle. Its simple as fuck. The most complicated thing is needing to set hypervisor.cpuid.v0 = false in the VMX file if you're running ESXi and want Nvidia's drivers to load.

;)

The following are the only 2 citations used in this blog post
blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/10/07/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14942-for-pc/#baABlCqWDJZHzLeQ.97
microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

Neither of these sources provide direct evidence for any of the assertions made in the article pertaining to the control of your computer

You can hate Windows. But can we please be fucking adults and not fall for fake news just because it fits your agenda?

Confirming this, this is what got me to finally ditch Windows and go Linux fulltime (well, that and the telemetry too).

If there is a buggy driver on Microsoft Update, and a newer, fixed driver directly offered by the vendor, Win10 WILL remove the newer driver and install the buggy one because the newer one isn't the newest offered by Microsoft Update.

I meant updates, you fuckwit. Ending mainstream support doesn't mean discontinuing.

They still deserve it.

Because reading a fucking book on computers is hard?

I've been comparing modern computing to mainframes and dumb terminals when a mass majority of society thought it was a good idea to drop every application and use the Cloud.

Just stick with Memenix, broke ass.

The_Future_You_Chose.bmp

You don't even have to use your computer. If you turn your PC on outside that time window, you're SOL.
Whether you're updating your gaymes, backing up shit, mining meme cryptocurrencies, or downloading some shit overnight, it doesn't matter, you're fucked.

Absolutely, botched updates are a myth, power outages never happen, and faulty drivers have never caused hardware damage. I'm also 100% positive forced reboots will never cause losses in productivity (interrupted transfers, renders, compilations, simulations, conferences, malware scans, defragmentations, voice calls, etc.). But hey, my system is up to date, so I can't complain :^)
Also,
pick one.

Lay off the babby duck syndrome and don't be a lazy faggot. It pays off in the end. You'll improve your computer knowledge and stop needing to be spoonfed.

I can tell you that after getting comfortable with an actually usable CLI (Wangblows's is SHIT) and config files that GUIs are shit (think regedit, gpedit, mmc stuff) for most purposes (except maybe drawing, modeling, graphing software). Most GUIs I like are actually just wrappers for CLI programs.
Also, TUIs (e.g. ncurses interfaces) are a thing.

I feel like you think people actually care if you switch. FOSS is like an open island that's kind of hard to get to but rewards the people willing to swim to it. If you want to stay in a proprietary cage and live at the mercy of private companies go for it, you're only hurting yourself.

Ok look here then nigger:
askubuntu.com/questions/35869/why-cant-files-be-renamed-by-using-f2-on-the-open-files-dialog-screen
bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=325150
I reported it in 2005. They "fixed" it in 2017, but it will take another years before new apps will use this. All existing apps still have this bug.
For 12 years nigger linux devs were telling me that I don't need that feature. Linux niggers want to tell me what I need and what I don't need. commies.
Open source doesn't care about consumers because they don't pay them. So linux devs just implement what they want and force you to do what they want, not what you want. Open source is a failure.

And this is basic functionality that even windows 95 had, maybe even 3.11.

For example, I want all system settings and app settings to be made in dialogs with mouse, not stupid text files.
Also, I want all software to look native, not half software made in QT and other half in GTK.
I want drag'n'drop, for example I want to drag n drop application to start menu, just like on windows.
I want expert music player with huge features yet simple and native looks, it's called foobar2000 on Windows.

No, nigger. CLI is worst way of communicating with computer. To use it you need to study manuals for 10 hours for each app. Then if you not use app for month you forget commands and need to read manuals again.
GUI shows all options on screen, you don't read manuals written by nigger linux smelly shits, but just click on buttons and get stuff done with single click. If you want to use feature you didn't use you just click on it, instead of study manuals for 10 hours.

There is not a single reason to use Linux. I am not a gamer, even if I played some old game I am sure it will work on Linux. But linux is garbage useless for any productive purpose.

Maybe linux nigger devs think their apps are so important and they are so important that you should spend 10 hours to read their crap manuals.

And? They will remotely uninstall it?

Games died in 2005. Also, they could create something like Wine for old Windows.

GUI shows all options on screen, you don't read manuals written by nigger linux smelly shits, but just click on buttons and get stuff done with single click. If you want to use feature you didn't use you just click on it, instead of study manuals for 10 hours.
Alright well have fun with your GUI that will always have less user configurability than the actual backend does. Sure you can include all the switches into the GUI, we all know how great a cluster fuck is.
Someone doesn't want to waste money do they, oh wait.
But some people may actually want to save money without breaking laws.
You don't even need to use half the commands for the application most of the time

Then fix it yourself. Or pay someone to fix it for you. And you call us commies, have you ever even donate to canonical?
All this assuming you can't be arsed to write "mv old-name new-name" in a terminal.
Really now? ever tried using a modestly complicated program like photoshop without a manual? As I used it sparingly I had to look up how to do basic shit whenever I forgot it every few months.

For a normal person, there is zero fucking difference, because in either case the user is just going to google search "how the fuck do I do X" and then follow the instructions. Why the fuck would anyone waste time reading man pages when they they just want to do a one-off task?

Mainstream support is updates you retard. You dont get bug fixes unless you have a support contract with Microsoft. Go read their lifecycle policy before you post again.

It's not a cluster fuck, it's clear and good. And even if only most common options were in GUI that's still 10 times better than crap linux config files. But most windows software have 90% of options in GUI.

You don't waste money on Windows, you buy it on torrents.

So you are a lawcuck?
Also the only advantage of linux is that this crap is gratis? Well, quality is proportional to it's price then.

How do I know what I need? Where to write them and store? And what when I need to use additional feature that I didn't use in past? How will I know that this software even has that feature? By studying fucking manual for 10 hours?
On windows GUI software I don't need to remember a single command. All commands are on GUI. I click and it does what I want. My time and effort is limited and important. But linux users are basement dwellers who have 15 hours of free time to watch their anime, so they don't mind using 5 hours to research how to play fucking anime.

Fuck you. On windows I don't need to fix it myself

No because canonical nigger put spyware and backdoors into their products. And I am not going to pay someone for such shit as linux

Yes. I just click on buttons and menus and see what happens, in 90% cases it does what I intended to do.
To use most functions of photoshops and others you don't need manuals, GUI's are self-explanatory. On crap linux you need manuals for basic things.
On windows you need manuals if you need advanced or expert features.

Difference is, on GUI windows software you will remember how to do something. On crap linux CLI you will forget in a month.

s/need to/can't

have fun paying rent to the digital jew

Your arguments are shit and it's clear you don't know what you're even talking about. From your whole post here it sounds like you tried to install Ubuntu once, fucked up the install, got mad and now feel like gnu/linux is just bad because you haven't even used it.

Too bad there aren't like different projects or assemblies of Linux maybe "distros" to choose from or anything. You're just forced to use that one distro you tried and didn't like because you can't tell the difference between a fucking OS and a DE. You are right about one thing though, most of the devs don't really give a shit about you.

This is your brain on wincucks

the closest thing to a "safe" win 10 version and I only use it because certain work software is required.

You do realize this is easy to disable on non-LTSB editions with AppLocker?

They still exist.

Something makes me think you dont even have a switch capable of SPAN.

How to activate the LTSB version?
Is it required to buy an expensive Enterprise copy?

That's going to be hard seeing as Microsoft continuously registers new domains using privacy guard services for the sole reason of making this specific way of blocking telemetry useless. And Windows Update appends to that list with a few new domains each time you update.

so this is how spyware and backdoors are called these days?
but guess they are certified spyware, so need to have another name

You're absolutely right about everything but spergs live in a bubble where they believe Gimp is a suitable alternative to Ohotoshop. You can't reason with them.

oh look
Someone who is not a developer is trying to make a comment about how developers are mean to users because they don't give the user what they want.

Your post is the epitome of why everything went to shit in the computing world 20 years ago.
You want to be asswiped by every automated functionality in existence.
That's what you want, being treated like a lifeless fagot won't doesn't give a fuck about his tools has long that it just works.

Your are the type people who complains that the shovel is rusted while you haven't greased it after use.

because you don't live in your own bubble for not listening to people who are competent in computing ?

I do listen to people capable in computing. Those who suggest open sores shit as replacement for Adobe tools do not belong to that group.

Blender, gimp, darktable, krita and inkscape can do anything adobe suite can. Go ahead try to prove me wrong if you can.

You're lying so I won't bother. I'm sure you think Libreoffice is a replacement for Excel and Ableton Live has something comparable in Linux.
There's no cure for people like you.

Gimp wasn't even fully compatible with Pantone the last time I tried it, let alone its shitty Windows 98 like interface.

On windows GUI software I don't need to remember a single command. All commands are on GUI. I click and it does what I want. My time and effort is limited and important. But linux users are basement dwellers who have 15 hours of free time to watch their anime, so they don't mind using 5 hours to research how to play fucking anime.
Alright, just get ffmpeg and make a GUI front end that includes all of the commands, not the main ones that most people are going to use, I mean every switch that you can find in the man page. You do realize the menu that contains those check boxes and switches and input boxes is going to take a lot of screen space and a lot of scrolling and reading just to click a button. If you could just take the time to use your brain for once and try to remember something, you would just need to type in the command you needed from memory into the command line and be done with that. But with a GUI you have not only have to search for what you want, but you have to do it in the right order, assuming the GUI doesn't do shit to make your experience good. If it does, great that's amazing, but I bet it's telling you what each function does every time you're selecting a command and so you don't need to remember what each one does. I bet they tell you what each one does, but they don't tell you how it should be used. Alright, that one is weak, but still, if you tried using something like Avanti, you would still be learning the same amount of shit that you would with ffmpeg command line. Except with the command line, you see the entire string of command in one screen rather than many.

Implying you know when someone is competent in a domain that you don't master.

There is no way for someone who isn't working in a specific area of work to know how to recognize someone who is competent in the said area.

If someone says that Photoshop is a good or bad software, how can ""competant"" person know it ?
Because it just works ?
Because it has satisfied the one who is going to use it ?
Or because he has access to the code ?

When you judge software you don't judge the "it just works part", you judge how it's made and what it does.

To have a correct opinion of a software you need to be able to:
-Debug it (access to the source code is required)
-Verify it's functionalities (access to the source code is required)
-Correct it, make new functions, or make it by someone else(access to the source code is required)
-Extend user experience (access to the source code is required and a experienced user in the said domain is necessary)
-Have the legal right to do the above things cited.

With adobe you don't and can't have any of those except half of the Extend user experience.
The only reasons you consider adobe shit is because you are used/forced were trained to work with only adobe software.
This is your user experience.
From a sysadmin/developer/security standpoint your augmentation is incoherent.

Even if lets say gimp isn't has good has photoshop.
Instead of wasting 100$ month for the complete DRMed adobe cloud suite that will upload what you do and analyses you work to see if there isn't any copyright infringement give it to the gimp project who is trying to hire a permanent developer
patreon.com/pippin

Sorry, I'm not a basement dweller. I judge software by its ability to help me generate money. I don't give a shit if it costs me $100 a month if it nets me >$3000 a month.

So far open source software is not better in that metric compared to most closed source software. Sure, it's probably different in the server market but I don't deal with that.

No I'm not lying. Libreoffice Calc is viable alternative to Excel for 90% of the tasks. For other 10% you can always use python with numpy + matplotlib, which together can to things Excel can only dream of. DAWs are area where there is still a lot of improvement needed but Ardour can probably do anything small studio would need. There is even great range of plugins (EQ, reverb, compressors) available - calf plugins, but you can always use VSTs through wine if you realy need that specific sound. In case of Pantone problem lies elsewhere en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantone#Intellectual_property go complain to the company it's not developers fault.

Did I say it's Linux fault? The reality is open source it's just not there for a lot of use scenarios. I'm not interested in coulda shoulda wouldas. The Linux sound stack is preposterously horrendous and that fault lies squarely on Linux devs.

I bet you pulled that 90% from your ass. Care to show me how can I install the Capital IQ plugin on Calc?

Audio on GNU/Linux works fine for me.
There is no that particular plugin available for Libreoffice, address your complaint to the Capital IQ company, or stop being lazy and write your own data analysis programs. They have HTTP api available, the rest is just fucking around with the numbers, it's not that hard. Besides working with large data sets in Excel is next to impossible. If you look around in the financial industry you will see that tools such as R or Python are heavily being used in financial sector, which are both open source / free.

Top tier open source customer support.

How do people like you end up here?

So you want inefficiency? GNOME is just for you.

Pic #1 related
Pic #2 related
By installing Windows 10 over it, yes.
Pic #2 related

Pic #2 related
Because Windows is magical and can plant shit inside your brain? Actually, that's plausible. Fuck.
Bad goyim!
pic #2 and #3 related
Pic #2 related, also perfect bait
The big guys do it for you. For the little price of your freedoms.
Just chanting /g/ memes at this point

I agree.
Pic #1 related, do you think linux is this single giant project that comprises a full OS?

Verdict: Hang yourself, you waste of oxygen.

No, only a specific kind. Telementary is when they collect usage statistics and such, like how Microsoft has that page saying "x number if images takes, and so forth"

Please leave.

BSD has decent sound. BSD is like linux, except sane. Of course you're gonna run into a different bunch of problems though.

Just my two cents on audio: Ardour is not bad at all. Use it with Audacity and you're good as gold. The daunting thing about Ardour was that there are no plugins (or just one synth) when you first install it, so you have to find those, but there are lots out there (e.g. the ones on plugin.org.uk).

Not him, and I disagree with a lot of what he says but he is right in saying that Linux can't yet compete with Windows and OSX for graphic professionals. The issue is system color management, which I think is what he is trying say.

There often are reasons for that, including vendor lock-in, shilling, and indoctrination at educational institutions. Other times the software isn't there yet, but either way, your logic is terrible.

I bet you're the kind of faggot who thinks that OS X is superior for sound and video editing because some pretentious hipster indie artist uses them, Adobe Flash must be an excellent technology according to you.

You mean like color profiles and calibration? There could be some problems if you wanted to calibrate your monitor. I'm not completely sure if calibration tools have drivers for GNU/Linux, but if you have calibrated display #112233 should look the same on Windows, OSX and GNU/Linux. But then again studios like Weta digital use GNU/Linux on render farms and artist workstations as well, so I'm sure color management is good enough for them. Fun fact they transitioned to GNU/Linux during Lord of The Rings 2.

Tell that to Pixar.

M-muh g-games. Fucking normies are pure cancer why did this board go to utter shit. Plebbit ruined every board on this fucking website

You do realize that this board was created as a direct result of Gamergate? I'd say it's impressive how few "muh games" posters it gets.

It's not like it's some kind of chronic problem. It's a small minority.

pretty sure that shitposter is a literal faggot straight out of >>>/cuteboys/

They use Linux now for 3D animation. So do Dreamworks and Disney.

After a day of making money with closed source software I'm back.

Reddit sent me here.

Yeah, like I want to learn 10 years of programming just to add the feature I want.

There are a lot of needs and many of them are not catered by open source software.

Never said that. If you had brain cells instead of shit inside your skull you'd understand.
I openly admitted open source is not there for many of my needs (and that of a lot of people) but you spergs keep on offering shit OSS "alternatives" instead of facing the fact that Linux is shit for many tasks.
I don't mind paying or pirating closed source software.

The saying rings true, OSS is free if your time is worthless.

I always wanted to give BSD a chance but I never really set myself to try it. What's BSD's Ubuntu?

Audacity is so far behind on features. Gonna give Ardour a try though. Thanks

Yeah, I should go with Linux supporters logic: "In my made up utopia Linux is the best thing ever". Too bad reality clashes with your teenager ideals. Here's a hint: if it doesn't exist it doesn't exist. I don't give two shits if it's vendor lock-in or lack of funding. I'm gonna use what I need to use for my needs.

No, OS X is superior because it has Core Audio. You fucking spergs can't even provide basic ALSA support to Mozilla and you need to rely on shitty kludges like Pulse Audio.
Even Windows Vista (onwards) has WASAPI. You have a shitty '90s piece of junk for an audio stack and it took Google to improve its shittyness to a usable level.
But yeah, iOS's low latency is due to hipsters using it, not due to a superior architecture. Sure.
superpowered.com/latency

Way to prove his point. So you need to be a company the size of Pixar in order to make Linux usable in the graphics industry. Sounds about right.

I'm gonna finish this masterpiece of a post by saying I'd love OSS to be great in all areas. I was delighted when Firefox became usable. But in the meantime I'm gonna bitch against Windows 10 cause Linux is more than a decade behind in usability.

To be honest I have more hope in ReactOS's future than in non-Android Linux.

It doesn't translate that well because the main different BSDs are truly different operating systems, not just different distributions, but FreeBSD is the most popular BSD system and TrueOS (formerly known as PC-BSD) is based on FreeBSD and tries to be easy.

step 1: download and run shutup10
step 2: click Activate Deferring of Updates
update as you want.

40 pages of shit instead of just solving the issue. Is linux set up perfectly to our tastes right after install? No. Less whining, more doing.

If you want a one-click solution you could try Ancile: voat.co/v/Ancile

oo-software.com/en/shutup10
this has been outf for 2 years now...

Too bad so sad, life is just so tough sometimes. Most people would probably just get over it or try to improve it. But bitching and complaining to random people on an imageboard is probably a good option too I guess.

All you've provided is you personally don't find the foss graphic design programs sufficient for whatever the hell it is you claim to do. Everyone knows they're notoriously behind in many aspects and not a selling point, but if you knew literally ANYTHING about foss this would not have surprised you.You realize most of the people on this board have replaced 100% of their computing with gnu/linux and find windows and mac insufficient for their personal needs? If you spent all the time it took you to shitpost and rant here watching a 14 year old's tutorial on youtube you'd know more than what you do now and could maybe have solved some of your problems. I know, how dare I imply you should wipe your own ass, mommy's just been doing it for so long now why bother?

Yeah your utopia is obviously more correct, everyone else is just wrong because you're angry and upset and therefore more important. Quick everyone jimmy has something to say and you better listen to his important opinions

That's fantastic dude, I too hope reactOS does well. Thanks for playing

It definitely is!

But that's not what time and time again FOSStards claim. They keep on yammering about how Gimp is just the same as Photoshop and how Calc is just the same as Excel. This is what I'm contesting, not the quality of OSS, which I appreciate exists even if I don't use it.

Fair enough then, I'd consider them usable replacements but by no means competitively comparable

Read a book nigger.

Git gud.

You either have to get a legit copy or use program to emulate a kms server on your machine and point validation to 127.0.0.1 so you self validate.

You can disable updates on win10 ltsb and you can there are lots of people who make lists of servers you should block. I don't set my firewall to block packets, just drop.

Problem with claiming that GIMP and Libreoffice aren't good enough replacements are that you are biased towards their proprietary counterparts. Let me guess. You took some random class on photoshop or excel and think that they are the best things ever made, they're perfect and that nothing could ever compare to them. When you then try gimp for example you loose your mind if one button that is supposed to be 1px left of where is it supposed to be. GIMP != photoshop and it will never be, nor it claims that it's goal is to become a clone of it. Same goes for Libreoffice suite, nowhere on the site I see that they claim to be cloning microsoft counterparts, It's different software, so it requires some learning before it can be used efficiently. There is also LaTeX if Libreoffice is not engough for you. Stop blaming your tools for your incompetence.

There is good reason why GIMP isnt used professionally and Adobe has a monopoly. Keep on pretending your open sores software is in anyway comparable.

Eh shit like Blender is used professionally so shove that up your pipe and smoke it.

Except its not, the only product you can come up with is a joke according to its own developers

quora.com/Is-Blender-used-by-professionals

It's called training. People are trained in the industry standard and they don't care about freedom.

Who are you quoting?

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

You don't need to sperg in such contrived examples. Windows Update fucking up network interface drivers is enough to put you in this position. Yes, this has happened to me. At my job, no less, on multiple computers at once. My employer lost serious $$$ due to that.

Bullshit. UIfags dropped Photoshop for Sketch, which was 1/10th the price and had practically no support/training compared to PS, because it was a better product. People don't use things like GIMP because the workflow is shit. You're full on retarded if you think people want to voluntarily spend thousands of dollars on Illustrator, which they hate, rather than learn a new tool.
t. Someone who's worked in the design industry for well over a decade, not a 'graphic designer' who makes image macros and shitty forum signature images.

That's exactly right. A tool is a tool. It's a means, not an end unto itself. I have actual things to do, not play around with config files and terminal commands.

haha. This is why you have < 1 % marketshare on desktop and it will never ever change.

Is this is final form of sour grapes?

GNU/Linux users can be summed up as
And you fags wouldn't have it any other way.

>This is why you have < 1 % marketshare on desktop and it will never ever change.
No, we have 2%, thank you very much.
But hey, feel free to enjoy paying for piece of shit operating system that barely even works, requires 12h of time to install updates and sends your private information to the uncle Bill. The reason why we have this thread is because of windows issues.
Yes, like calling people wanting to suggest you alternatives to proprietary software autistic, fags and spergs. Why don't you go back to facebook, reddit or tumblr. You have a lot more in common with those people than with "autists" and "spergs" residing here.

How stable is the ltsb though? I know regular win10 is absolute fucking dogshit on this point.

Why don't just use Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro that come without any bloatware???

Right, because Linux has no issues whatsoever.

>haha. This is why you have < 1 % marketshare on desktop and it will never ever change.
Wrong, you utter retard. Firstly your percentage is wrong, secondly linux devs have made it pretty clear they don't give a shit about desktop market share. That's why you have the most amount of diversity in the Linux community with such a small share, because a lot of people want the software themselves, enjoy coding it, want freedom, and don't give a shit about market share. And lastly the only reason apple and microsoft and adobe and all this other shit is so popular is because they LOBBY for their software to be in schools starting at fucking preschool. They advertise their crap on tv, they convince institutions that they NEED their software in order to do shit and it's been like that since the START of the fucking tech industry. I didn't even hear about Linux until I was in the tenth grade for fuck sakes and I took every computer related class up till that point. But once again you've shown you don't know your ass from your elbow and have a hard on for proprietary malware.

Same here m8

consider the following: of course it is absolutely no problem to enter waht you need to be done into a command line BUT: When you want to configure your OS, the command line won't tell you at a glance what features ARE EVEN AVAILABLE to be configured whereas when you have a fucking graphical interface you can skim through the options and decide? Also with menus there is absolutely no chance of fucking up via typos or destroying configurations accidentally.
Is that comprehensible, linfags??
Also: What alternatives do you suggest when it comes to CAx tools like CATIA, Ansys, MatLab, etc.?
Yes I'm mad.

man foo
foo -h

I don't know what the first two are but MatLab works just fine on Linux (no wine necessary) for GUI and even CLI - pic related

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\SettingsIsActiveHoursEnabled DWORD0 = Disable1 = Enable
Oh no, I had to toggle a registry value! How obscene! Maybe I should switch to Memenix, it can't possibly be any harder.

And what exactly have you solved by doing that? Your pc will restart itself in either case.
Yes you should. There are no active hours or forced restarts on GNU/Linux.

Thanks for the pdf from lurksville

So now instead of being fucked for 6h/day you are for 24h/day? ROTFLMAO

My PC never restarts itself, and since I'm not a Memenix user anymore, it can also sleep/hibernate just fine.

Props to you if you figured out how to do it. I'm just surprised at how much work is needed to prevent Windows from automatically restarting. And then winshills say GNU/Linux configuration is difficult. Look at this superuser.com/questions/1110265/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-restarting-the-computer-after-installing-updates/1125051 or this superuser.com/questions/957267/how-to-disable-automatic-reboots-in-windows-10 You need to work on windows as a developer in order to understand what the fuck is going on here and even then solutions don't work for everyone. Your OS is shit and you should feel bad for using it.

this whole thread is is shit and everyone in it needs to be gassed including myself, please end my life

enjoy one year of botnet computing I guess.

support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/18581/lifecycle-policy-faq-windows-products

What did they mean by this?

Embedded you fool. The most recent version of XP embedded is still supported and will be supported until 2019.

Windows 8.1 embedded is the most recent version and god knows how long its support will last.

Any problems using embedded for gaming? I only need Windows for gaming.

What are you going to do in 2019? It's only two years away.

I'm thinking about transitioning to Linux by 2020. In the meantime gonna enjoy my Wangblows.

I believe that, by definition, ltsb is more stable. ltsb only ever receives security upgrades with no changes in feature set. I have never had any issue with it, less so then even windows 7. The only "downside" is that the OS does not support hardware beyond a certain point. You have to upgrade and reinstall the newest ltsb distribution to use the Nvidia 1XXX cards as the 2015 ltsb does not work with the drivers.

What you install is what you get. Period.

So this will fuck over my dualboot then.
Nice of Microsoft to boot me into GNU/linux when I'm not paying attention and it decides to reboot. Lel.

Oh I didn't realize I'm on Holla Forums. Hi guyz!

Some of us have jobs, loser.

ltsb does get cumulative updates and monthly patches, only feature updates will not be installed on ltsb.
Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Enterprise it's way better.

MUH GAMES
MUH VIRTUAL JAPANESE CP

You should get rid of that shit, a system not being able to run your digital crackpipe is a pro not a con you fucking manchild. If you're a kid, go out and fix your life before it's too late.

Actually this site was created in 2013, try again goobergator.

Some of us don't work as a social media manager.

what the flying fuck

wat...

Is it possible to 'break' the OS clock so that loops say 10PM over and over again?

smh fam

;)

??? that makes perfect since...
^this, is retarded

hopefully reactOS is in beta by then...

Fuck off you nigger.

Best OS coming through. I actually have three monitors but one is out of service until I get that fucking annoying coil whine fixed.

gb2 reddit nigger

Bumped
u
m
p
e
d

At this point I think the only logical reasoning is that Microsoft has discovered that users are now so retarded they can do whatever the fuck they want to their base and normalfags will continue to actually buy their shit. It's just a social experiment at this point.

How new do you have to fucking be not to be able to recognize that line as sarcasm?

I didn't realize this until reading your post. It's 100% true - people's dumbphones, laptops, devices, "desktops", they've all just become terminals hooking up to JewgleFaceMazon's mainframes....

implying personal computing will even be alive in a few years

i didn't ask for these feels

Thanks for bumping this thread. It deserved it.

fucking normies

I genuinely can't believe this.
So if I want to marathon a TV series or play a new video game for, say, 18 hours in a row, then sleep 6 hours, play another 15 hours - my PC shuts down after 12 hours and I cannot access it for another 12 hours???

Also if I choose the usage window to be from, say, 4 AM to 16.00 and then I want to use it at 19.00 - the PC is restarting/updating/shut down?

before you autists sperg out, I'm on linux, it is a hypothetical question

Just disable windows update on services.msc

Only if Windows Update receives an important system update within that time period (and Microsoft gets to decide what is "important"). You have a non-zero chance of that happening, but most of the time you would actually succeed with your plan. It's just not guaranteed. You will also regain control over your rebooted computer as soon as the updates finish installing, which will likely take much less than 12 hours though this being Microsoft... who knows?

Not that this makes it any less outrageous.

What does Holla Forums think of this?
thepiratebay.org/torrent/12406246/Windows_XP_Professional_SP3_x86_-_Black_Edition_2015.9.12

I'm thinking of dual booting an x220 with this so I can still enjoy my few winjoos creature comforts.

So it's not as bad, but it's still pretty bad.

Whatever will we do with video games? I was planning on buying a super PC in about 5-10 years and playing all the awesome games at maximum possible graphics, but given the speed at which things are becoming utter trash, in 5 years I'll probably need to sign an application form to turn on windows.

Is this bait?

>>>/suicide/

Or you could just not play shitty new games that are bloated and require some stupid new hardware or learn how to do GPU passthrough.

The games industry became utterly cancerous in recent years and is only getting worse. I'd wager a guess that you won't see many new "awesome games" worth playing appearing in the near future. The best shit has been made in the past, and it won't be overtaken any soon.

Since Wine tends to become able to run most games near-perfectly within about 5 years from them being released (maybe a bit longer for some extra troublesome titles), I'm pretty sure your super PC will handle those games you want to play running Linux.

If you want to play games just buy a console. Most developers don't care about the pc market, they release their games first on consoles and then a badly patched version of it gets released for pc. Games like GTA 5, Fall Out 4 and Watch Dogs were best played on consoles because of all the bugs and shitty optimization on pc's.

I'll rather wait for a good emulator thank-you-very-much.

Hey, thanks for defending GPEdit. Besides the proper application firewall, it is one of the main reason I still recommend Windows.

However there is a huge flaw in every argument you base on it:
Windows Home Edition does not have GPEdit.

Although you can use the registry editor to set the same settings it is much harder to do.

What the fuck happened to writers?
Just write "Home editions of Windows 10" ffs.

No, that is GNOME. GNOME are the NSA niggers that believe the only way to use a desktop is the way they like it.

You want to use KDE.

I said "this board", not "this site". You do know the difference, right?

The amount of replies this thread got really tells me something about the amount of butthurt windows users that actually populate this board. Heh.

I literally jut ticked the box.
The only problem was that they placed a drive on the computer, which looked like a new drive but was just a partition of my C drive that held my updates.

I use my computer for maybe 15 hours at a time, and it never forced an update on me.

Still a shit system, glad to of stopped using it, but DISINFO won't get us anywhere. If the opposition can fault one claim, they'll use that to tear apart the other claims.