External drives

Didn't see anything about this in the sticky or in recommended hardware suggestions.

Are there any companies you'd recommend to use or not use?

I have a seagate 2TB portable USB drive and it's been decent so far, I'm just running out of storage.

What about OWC?

>inb4macfag

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B01MZBWCKL/ref=twister_B01MSI8UXY?_encoding=UTF8&th=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

enjoy waking up to find that it died and your data is now inaccessible

Any brands you'd recommend? I've heard that about Seagate before.

none tbh famalam, all hard drives use proprietary firmware that could contain botnet for all we know

WD externals are shit. I had to help somebody with a MyBook external recover his data. The miniusb connector broke (like they always do when soldered directly to a circuitboard) and you couldn't just take the internal drive out and slap it in the PC, it would show unformatted because it was encrypted. However the user never explicitly chose to encrypt his data, so it encrypts it by default using a key that you are not given. WD does not offer any software to recover data or the key, they offer some $700 "attempted data recovery" service where they probably just recover the data easily using the key they wont give out.

I had to buy a controller board of the exact same type off of ebay then had to use R-Data software for like 24 hours to get the data back because something with the filesystem was still fucked even with what seemed like the same controller board.

R-Studio I mean

And frankly if it was me I would get some generic enclosure and whatever internal drive you want

Use the consumer advice sticky.

I have two 500GB WD ext HDD's and they work fine without weird encryption whatsoever.

Though I agree, MyBooks are trash.

So seagate is okay?

Mobile test post

Buy a SATA to USB adaptor, user.

hitachi, IBM , HGST, Toshibe
see pic

WD is better than seagate when it comes to external drives. seagate is terrible

seagate drives:
samsung
transcend
other obscure shit

That problem could've been easily be prevented if you:
leave the cable plugged in
handle it with care
your friend is a pedo
you could've easily recovered it if he did not fell for their proprietary backdoored encryption and used dmcrypt+testdisk instead
technical skills..

this is the best thing to do plus you won't have problems when the enclosure dies
hitachi or HGST is recommended

nopa.

is this post a joke? seagates are the absolute worst hard drives on the market. they always have been. WD are, generally, only slightly better than seagate. WD makes some enterprise shit that might be okay, but why bother? they have different "lines" of drives, some of which might be okay but i can't be fucked to decipher their bullshit titles.

the best hard drives, as far as i can gather, are made by hitachi. anything else is shit.

Right. There was an earlier post that said WD was trash.

Who should we believe and why??

Be careful about getting cheap Chinese ones though. I had one start smoking on me once, completely warped the cheap plastic connector. Apparently there was a short on two of the SATA contacts but luckily the HDD itself was in-tact, I of course still backed up the HDD because I didn't want to take any chances. Just don't cheap out or better yet go for an enclosure instead of a plain old adapter

Last time I checked hard drive failure rates, Seagates were the worst, WDs were mediocre, Toshibas and Hitachis were above average. I've been using a couple of cheap Toshiba externals for a couple of years without problems. That's what I'd buy again. YMMV.

that really is a good question, given the shills nowadays.

nine is fine. once they got rid of classic, it was the beginning of the end.

Wew lad. Couldn't you just solder in a new USB connector?

I'm just gonna get a lacie.

Apple+F: "Binned"
Not found
Is this place improving?

any guide on how to do this? what would i need? the internal hard drive, the case, and what else? do i need a cable to connect my laptop to it and then another to connect it to my blu ray?

any cheap recs?

No, I recovered the data and there was nothing pedo. He wasn't even aware that his data was being encrypted. That's the fucking issue to begin with, if you don't set a passphrase of your own it uses some default one that you don't know that is baked into the controller board in the enclosure. I'm assuming so that if you later explicitly decide that you DO want encryption, it can be done quickly by swapping the key rather than taking hours/days to encrypt all of the data. It's still retarded and a fucking racket for the "WD Partners" that do data recovery.

Feels like I'm in 2013.

If you retards bothered to research, you'd find out Seagate today has lower failure rates than WD or Hitachi

Had the same exact problem, but mine was, in the end recoverable and I had backups anyway. Ended up having to reformat and put the drive into a new ex-hdd case.

is this a good deal? amazon.com/dp/B01MZBWCKL/ref=twister_B01MSI8UXY?_encoding=UTF8&th=1
is there a better bang for the buck? even buying the case and the drive for separate doesnt cut it

www.tweaktown.com/articles/6028/dispelling-backblaze-s-hdd-reliability-myth-the-real-story-covered/index.html
educate yourselves

turn sleep off for any drive you have so that thermal degradation or whatever the term is takes longer to deform it

just buy a slim drive and container yourself user.

ok user, but which one? idk which brand or model works or if i need a cable or connector, and for all to be less than 30$

I was saving up to buy a new computer but after reading this thread I'm about to deplete my disposable income on an HGST 6tb instead before it's too late.

I'm using a 9-year-old WD Green :^)

(transcend actually contains samsung HDDs and they are essentially a seagate subfranchise of some sort)
seagate is shit. I've heard it fail like 15 times in my circle.

old WD drives are good tier but most of them now have proprietary hdd controller board that is a fucking shit mess.
hitachi is the best but tech stores sell them rarely.