Police get search warrant for entire Minnesota city's Google history

Years ago, the reaction would have been mass outrage and chaos. Now, some people on thhe Internet are kind of mad.

archive.is/R3yvO

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/web/
github.com/hartator/wayback-machine-downloader
web.archive.org/web/20170319093118/https://www.extremetech.com/internet/246121-police-get-warrant-entire-minnesota-citys-google-searches-wire-fraud-case
torproject.org/download/download-easy.html.en
google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=google's main ip addresses block&*
browserleaks.com/
web.archive.org
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It gets worse, according to the article. Literally anyone in this city of 50,000 people who typed the word "Douglas" is now a suspect.

That's why you use Tor for fucking everything, all the time. I can't understand why retards, even on tech, still insist that tor only makes sense for onion services.

All this is based on the assumption that the person used Google because everybody uses Google. Dumb as fuck, but also telling of what their attitude about these tech giants are. They seem to already consider them basically an established and universal social institution.

This is unacceptable. Do you guise think it would be alarming if someone who generally doesn't use Tor to suddenly use it 100% of the time? How would you guys recommend making the switch as to not appear suspicious?

accidental sage, heres your bump

So what's the problem? That's valid under the US Constitution.

You think there's probable cause to collect the entirety of 50,000 peoples search history? Wew lad

I don't know how police think but I'd say what is more suspicious is you using Tor only some of the time because that makes it clear that there's something specific you want to hide. I'd also say that an immediate switch would be less suspicious than a rise in Tor usage which could again imply that you're now on some kind of criminal mission. Using Tor all the time just makes you look like a privacy loon instead. But like I said, I don't how they think. I researched this in the past and found nothing.
I myself connect without Tor as little as possible. The only thing I haven't managed to torify yet is time syncing. There are methods for that as well but they are unreliable and you can get fingerprinted over Tor if your system has too much of a time offset so having good time accuracy is more important. Everyone time syncs in the same way anyway so there's very little info to gather about you from this. Would still be nice to go all the way though.

Speaking of tor.
I am on tor and I can't read this article thanks to archive.is
Please use the wayback machine
archive.org/web/
Then save the webpage in case off it gets deleted.
github.com/hartator/wayback-machine-downloader

Also I did it:
web.archive.org/web/20170319093118/https://www.extremetech.com/internet/246121-police-get-warrant-entire-minnesota-citys-google-searches-wire-fraud-case

Really, who cares. Tell me when startpage does it, that will be something.

That shilling about VPNs at the end.
torproject.org/download/download-easy.html.en

Weird, I didn't even notice OP was a faggot and used archive.is, it worked over Tor without cloudflare's attention whoring shit.

The only purpose of VPNs is to recommend them on your shitty tech blog so that you get some affiliate money. Otherwise you would be recommending Tor.

They got it with a warrant dude, presumably every US based search engine is vulnerable to this since we now have a precedent and if you're not a US located search engine they'll probably just do it without a warrant. This is very alarming and is bad news for normies and autists alike.

use the hidden service searx?

I had the thought that all this social media is going to make private investigation lazy. A good thing or a bad thing?

the warrant requests among other things, MAC addresses. one way that google would have this information is if users searched using the google app on their phones and the app sent that information. apps can access lots of information including but not limited to your phone number, IMEI, MAC address, etc. Think that just because you didn't specify your phone number when you signed up on that shitty app that it didn't take it anyway? lmao

It's a solution but this shouldn't be allowed to happen in the first place.

I'm mad that people use google.

because you can't use google services through Tor at all? it's all 403

you use google to some degree every time you use cloudflare or....... just about any website/captcha at all

avast antivirus and Steam also use google to some degree

stop making me mad

You're making yourself mad. It doesn't bother me what other people to do themselves as long as they leave me out of it.

So how do you stay out of google?

How do I avoid the sun's rays?

Ignore it. If you're paranoid as I think you are, block Google's main addresses in the hosts file

google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=google's main ip addresses block&*

Trust no one.

I think people who care about this stuff have completely written off Google and moved on to less invasive providers (I think G is now possibly the worst for privacy) and taken steps to protect themselves on their end (tor). That's why you don't hear much outrage.

Well, at least they don't know my exact IP.

Sets precedent for other search engines though. This is just the one you hear about on the news, because Google makes for a more clickable headline.

You sound like a disinfo shill but tor alone is not probable cause. Monitoring your tor shit is not as easy as asking Google to hand over some logs. And circumventing tor is so difficult that local police wouldn't bother unless they thought you were a criminal for some other reason.

Blanket surveillance of tor users is just not practical for anyone not alphabet. And alphabet won't share data for no good reason.

kek

What's the point of reading TOS? They all say the same thing: Fuck you.

It depends on what are the security settings you use.
In tor you've got a small onion button up left and you have "security settings" in it.
I use the "High" on and it disables javascript.
Javascript is always the reasons for a anonymous failure or a data leak.
Try this website with different level of security.
browserleaks.com/
It's very interesting.

Wrong, there's a fallback js-free captcha. You have to enable html frames for it, though.

Don't you mean it'll be more difficult if the search engine is not located in the US? It'd have to go through the respective country's jurisdiction.

those are shills

Then don't fucking start using it before you will do something. But start today
You can also hide Tor usage a little by using non-US vpn and then run tor browser / tor.

Like the nsa/cia does? i probably wouldn't count on local laws at this point.

Any foreigner is a fair game. If you're not a burger they can throw you in Guantanamo without question. Although I've heard they can do that now to burgers as well, it always boomerangs.

what's the problem with Duck?

Yep, Obama repealed habeas corpus when he signed the National Defense Authorization Acts of 2012 and 2014. All they have to do now is call you a terrorist here and they can detain you indefinitely without a trial. The good news for you is that near the end of every empire, those at the top always turn their weapons once used against enemies inward to their own populace.

Just don't use sites that need google captcha. They suck.

Never go full retard son

No it isn't. General warrants are exactly what the fourth amendment was written to outlaw.

>It'd have to go through the CIA or NSA.
FTFY

Only if you let kikes interpret its meaning.

Stop posting this retarded picture.

It never ceases to amaze me how retards aren't just content to wallow in filth, but they have to go shill on the board and claim filth is actually better.

If you're gonna use some shit that spies on you because it has features that cater to your babby duck syndrome, fine. We've all been there with Windows and muh vidya. But don't come here and act like the compromises you have made don't real. Fucking grow up and take some responsibility for your decisions.

Friendly reminder to everyone to use searx instead of jew jew go if you don't know what you're doing.

Just start using it.

try using web.archive.org when you get captchas

Why would you possibly think this? I mean, yeah, Tor is a good idea in general, but the thought that alphabets aren't sharing their information to any LEO whore who asks because "terrorism" or "suspicious activity" is fucking brain dead.

I'm the one who made that OC.
I do agree that it's retarded but my main aim was to scare ddg users by throwing random shit.

Friendly reminder that you suck cocks.

This.
Stop using google.

and...?

stay away from dling and some forums that track you then you're good to go.

remember, they only got the silk road leader by his dumbass namefagging and using google gmail.

Why would they? It would be giving up leverage for no reason.

That's the crux of it. If you're a criminal to begin with, Tor isn't the solution, not breaking the law is. What I said applies only to law abiding people who want to protect their privacy regardless.

this.

Yes, just use another search engine over clearnet until they start getting search warrants.

At least you have the decency to admit it. I respect that.

Another retarded disinfo shill. Observe how he acts as if Tor use and not using Google are somehow mutually exclusive. Last I tried Google search isn't even practical on Tor, it makes you do a captcha, plus other search engines are often a superset of Google results AND have better quality search thanks to Google's bubbling.

Wasn't even me, kek