Distro/DE general

>ctrl-f "distro" actually search bar -> distro
Alright boys lets have a distro thread, I'm fairly new and have been using Mint and used a bit of Ubuntu before but Cinnamon sucks and so does its file browser. What should I try next? I'm thinking either Kubuntu, Debian, or maybe going back to Ubuntu.

things I give a shit about

things I don't give a shit about

Other urls found in this thread:

trisquel.info/
gentoo.org/
parabola.nu/
heads.dyne.org/
gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html
ffmpeg.gusari.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3038
linuxfromscratch.org/
debian.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=dsDUtzMkxFk.
openingupnorthkorea.com/downloads-2
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Try Antergos

What exactly is supposed to be appealing about this?

I wanted a system without timed-releases, with the most up-to-date packages, and that would just werk. So far it has met all of those needs of mine, and I've been using it for about a month now.

Well I'm sure it works well for you but given what I wrote in the OP I can't see why you recommended it.

then for these reasons alone I would just continue to use ubuntu/mint

Alrighty then, I'll try both ubuntu and Debian. What DE would you recommend for Debian?

Do you want CIA infected distros or not ?

Anyway here's the list of non infected distros
Trisquel
trisquel.info/
Gentoo (depending on what you installed)
gentoo.org/
Parabolla
parabola.nu/
Heads
heads.dyne.org/
This list in general
gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html

For infected CIA distros:
Everything else.

Someone running Mint is in a much better position than a Windows or OSX user. Also, shit that is bad for you comes from free software as well. Disable any services that make network connections and are not absolutely necessary. The latter is going to fuck you up far worse than some non-free firmware. Things like Avahi. sudo netstat -tuapn

Debian with XFCE

You're describing Mint MATE. Go try it in a VM.

Xface for lightweightest solution
LXDE for something lightweight yet similar to binbows
Cinnamon for something very similar to windows but with some bloated and slow loading applications and memory leaks
Mate similar to LXDE but just more conservative greyish look
Gnome for if you love smartphone UI and want your computer to look like a smartphone / windoes 8
KDE Plasma if you love to install graphically pretty things that will eat up tons of resources

okay you convinced me. Does trisquel have support for installing encrypted file systems in LUKS just like plebian?
Will my network card just werk or will I have to spend days trying out nonfree drivers and settings?
What is the exact problem with systemdick? I know it is privacy related but I never really followed the threads until now.

t. Plebian user with cinnamon desktop and some LXDE standard applications

Your problems don't sound distro related, they sound software related. Most of these you could look up, but I did the work for you because I'm bored.

Give MATE a spin on Mint, I think it allows this. You can install it without reinstalling since it should be available in your package manager.

Caja? XFE? I'm sure there are some others.

I think MATE has this.

Install a theme on pretty much any DE. Again, I know MATE does this.

imgur-screenshot, screencloud, and apparently you can automate uploads with scrot. Not sure on this one since I prefer to upload it myself.

Pic related says XFCE uses more memory than Mate. I do prefer XFCE's task bar over MATEs though.

Is Manjaro non-CIA niggershit?

fuck you for using such an old faked deprecated image, not even gonna bother reading your text

The problem with a lot of these distros like Manjaro is that people behind them are not sufficiently paranoid or simply don't care, often they're also incompetent or understaffed. I really wouldn't rely on them.
I eventually came to the conclusion that there is only one sensible distro choice if you consider all possible aspects: Debian.

Where do I get thick 3D buttons like pic related?

mmmmm m ""# ""# mm #
# m mm mmm mm#mm mmm # # ## m mm mmm # mm
# #" # # " # " # # # # # #" " #" " #" #
# # # """m # m"""# # # #mm# # # # #
mm#mm # # "mmm" "mm "mm"# "mm "mm # # # "#mm" # #

mmmmm m ""# ""#
# m mm mmm mm#mm mmm # #
# #" # # " # " # # #
# # # """m # m"""# # #
mm#mm # # "mmm" "mm "mm"# "mm "mm

as someone on xubuntu who wants to go Debian/xfce, which version and repos repos should I use?

Grab the weekly updated testing release.
That's up to you and depends on what you want.

Slackware.
Xmonad.
4lyf.

I'm interested in this as well. Right now Stretch (current "testing") is in full freeze which will go on for about half a year until it is released as the new stable, replacing Jessie (current "stable"). What's the security of testing like in the freeze period? Should I already install Stretch at this point if I want to stay with it when it becomes stable?

Please spoiler NSFW files.

sorry holmes thought I was on b.

you are not looking for a distro, you are looking for a DE

I am, but I don't like any of the mint ones. Gonna try out GNOME on Debian though.

GNOME is only for tablets, it won't be usable on a computer. Have you tried window managers yet?

I get if you don't like it, but this is just plain false. Have you even used GNOME?

Do give GNOME a try, even though it's not to everyone's tastes.

I have tried it, yes, but I don't own a tablet or a touchscreen display to really utilize it the way it's intended.

GNOME tries to be usable with a touch screen, and I believe it adds a few touch screen shortcuts, but it also has a lot of keyboard shortcuts and design based around the mouse (for example, moving the mouse to the top left is one of the fastest, easiest things to do with a mouse and triggers the overview).

It hasn't abandoned the desktop metaphor to the extent true touch screen-centric environments do. A touch screen gives you a bonus, it's not necessary to get the intended experience.

I'm not so sure, the way UI is layed out is great for touchscreen but it's very very impractical for mouse movements. For example, if you have three files opened in gedit their tabs will be spread along the whole width. This makes it reeeally painful to quickly switch between them with a mouse. This is just from top of my head, there are many things like that. Another example are "header bars", which again are really useful for touchscreens because it would be a pain to drag windows with small window borders. They also have buttons and menus separated into both left and right corner so that you can easily tap on them with both of your thumbs. But again, on a normal computer header bars just waste a lot of screen space and make it a pain to use those buttons and menus.
Since I refuse to believe that GNOME designers don't know what they're doing I can only conclude that GNOME is a touchscreen environment.

To have a just werks machine and also software availability so you won't need to compile anything yourself you'll have to go with an Ubuntu or Arch based distro. Ubuntu has PPAs and Arch has the AUR and yaourt. Don't listen to the people saying that Arch breaks constantly. It's surprisingly stable in my experience. I've ran it for a couple of years and only had one thing break and it was my fault. I was using infinality fonts which isn't in the Arch repos and a harfbuzz update broke it. Now I learned to configure freetype 2 and am better off anyways.

This won't matter in choosing since you will have a choice of DE on any distro

I recommend xfce-screenshooter it's great and will upload to imgur or zimagez for you.

This is an option for every DE as far as I know. Xfce has none of theses effects by default

If there isn't an explicit 'dark mode' setting on the DE you choose just change the gtk/Qt theme

All file managers allow typing the path as far as I know. Typing the path in the file picker is dependent on your browser. Chromiums file picker allows this but Firefox does not.

Why are you asking for distro advice when you're stuck on using Ubuntu? Consider softening your stance on this maybe.

This won't be a problem for and distro/DE

Ubuntu and Arch based distros have the best help. I'd say Arch support is better. Ubuntu is a huge clusterfuck and Arch is more organized and the Arch Wiki is great for all distros but using an Arch based distro makes it much more valuable and relevant

I didn't know what this was but a quick search showed that you can use pulse audio for this. I don't even know of a distro that doesn't use pulse audio.

This depends on DE so your distro won't matter

My honest recommendation for a Holla Forums minded user would be Manjaro or Antergos. They will both give you a base Arch install with a complete DE and also give you an amazing GUI frontend for pacman called Pamac that can search/install/remove from the repos and the AUR, automatically check for updates, show you package details and dependencies and keep track of orphaned and foreign packages, automatically update mirrors, and by default keeps the 3 most recent versions of all packages in a cache and a GUI way to ignore specific package updates making it easy to revert if need be, and more in case you're intimidated by the command line or can't be fucked to familiarize yourself with all of it. Pic related is Pamac.

I want one that can use Ubuntu repositories since I've come across programs that only have them as an option (generally proprietary shit that you wouldn't expect to be on Linux). I think I've settled on Debian + GNOME though, it seems to have everything I'm looking for.

Y'know, if you liked GNOME and hated 3, try giving Budgie a spin. It's a bit appley, but my Vertex-dark theme worked wonderfully on it, and i could transfer most of everything else from my Cinnamon config straight to it without a lot of fuss. Thinking about trying i3 next, but i'm not all that keen on trying a DE that doesn't Just Werk out of the box.

I like Salix the most for the one application per task philosophy. But there really aren't any good distros.

DO NOT USE MINT PAST 17.3 BECAUSE AFTER THAT IT USES SYSTEMD

Only take care to avoid systemd if you would ever interact with it and know from experience that you don't like it

Opensuse - Leap for 'just werks.' Tumbleweed for those that enjoy a rolling distro.

Fedora - Needs some repositories added, and you're pretty much good to go. Use an XFCE spin, unless you really enjoy Gnome. I personally do not.

Why no love for the RPMs? After all of my distro-hopping, including multiple 'Arch-types' and Mint, I always find myself coming back to these 2.

the hell does that even mean

Why the fuck does every single distro pretend to be lightweight when they clearly aren't?

Most people's definition of lightweight is to be a useable system. Your definition means that you can't do anything at all because all the "bloat" is gone.

searching for a alternative for KDE Dolphin fileexplorer. A filexplorer with image preview
[spoiler]Really miss sometimes the image preview on the sidebar like windows has.

[/spoiler]

If your usage isn't advanced enough that you would interact with systemd (using systemctl, writing unit files, whatever) then you probably don't have a good reason for avoiding it.

That's no surprise. Ubuntu switched to systemd in 15.04 and it was known long before that they'll do it, while Mint 18.x is based on 16.04. So the fact that Mint will switch to systemd in 18.x was known since at least 3 years ago.

If you compare them to Slackware install everything option they seem to be lacking in bloat.

That's because the GTK3 "filechooser", as it is officially called, was turned into shit by GNOME 3 devs like everything else they touch. There are patches out there that fix this shit, it's not hard to apply them yourself if you care enough. You don't have a problem in other software because they don't use GTK3 but something else, in most cases GTK2.

It's like you think only two distros exist: Arch and Ubuntu. That figures, because Arch is full of hipster newbs who just switched from Ubuntu because it was too mainstream for them. Nothing wrong with being a newb, everybody gotta start somewhere, just don't think you already know everything because you don't use Ubuntu anymore.
apt is by Debian which means the OP can use any Debian-based distro.
AUR is even worse than PPAs which should also be avoided completely, if possible.
Manjaro is full of incompetents, as proven multiple times in the past.
Your post is generally a shitty advice because you don't know what you're talking about.

Tumbleweed here.
mfw people still fall for the Arch meme

Tumbleweed is certainly my favorite. If I could get Nvidia to play nicely with it, it'd be on my main machine instead of just the laptop. Recently saw a news article saying that Nvidia is going to be focusing on the open-source drivers like AMD, but I'm more than a little skeptical.

can someone explain to me how exactly systemd is a security risk and what a typical attack scenario would look like?

Same goes with UEFI as well. I read once from one guy that it is not that big of a security risk but just ugly in his oppinion. I know that secure boot tries to lock you down and take a way your freedoms but if I cannot trust UEFI from company X, there is no logical reason to trust their normal bios as well.

and another thing.
I read on trisquel forums that trisquel will likely adopt systemd as well in the future. Is this true?
Does it really come without it?

Also:
When I uninstall systemd with all associated programs on my aptitude, will my system be fucked afterwards? If everything is connected with systemd then uninstalling it will brick my machine. How do I avoid/fix this?

Systemd security issues are mostly hypothetical. It occasionally has vulnerabilities, of course, but so do the things it replaces.

Trisquel will switch to systemd once they base a release on a systemd-using Ubuntu release.

If you remove systemd APT will try to make it work. If it's a bad idea it'll either tell you that it's impossible or show you an extremely long list of packages to remove. Look carefully at the list of packages it wants to remove. I know from experience that Debian makes removing systemd easy but that also removes NetworkManager so you better install a replacement (like wicd) first/at the same time if you need one or you'll be stuck without a connection.

I recommend sticking with systemd in your case, or at least not minding it.

Like what exactly?

I suggest OpenSUSE for desktops/laptops because their KDE implementation is fantastic and zypper is faster than apt. Debian for servers because it's extremely resource efficient, small, and stable.

What's an uber-minimal distro that's pretty much a shell and download utility (like bash/wget) that I could slowly build onto?

thx brudder
are you also this well informed about UEFI?
I would hate to replace my mainboard if there is no real danger coming from it. Like if the 3letter guys need physical access to my machine and cannot do anything from afar.

You have Alpine that's pretty minimal. But what you want is more like Tiny Core or CRUX level.

literally gentoo

What do you actually want to do? If you want to build from scratch, you need a compiler etc. etc.
You could use systemrescuecd (Gentoo based). It also has a lightweight DE if needed.

Alpine uses musl libc so it might be a bit trickier. I haven't used it tho..

That pic is deprecated. KDE is lighter than cinnamon, and MATE is heavier than Xfce nowadays. GNOME is the heaviest.

I'm building some IoT-like stuff for the owner of a farm that I live on. We're thinking about automatic gate latches, surveilance, stats monitoring (amount of feed in bins/temparature in certain areas/general density of some animals per area) and hardware failures. Most of these systems already have proprietary services built in, but the support for them is outrageously shit and it takes days to get a serviceman out for repairs. I've actually done this before for someone else, but it was clumsy and hackish and used a rather slow Ubuntu/Python implimentation. I want to re-write about half of the old Python in C/C++ and use a lighter distro with a smaller attack surface, since this guy wants internet connectivity and I want to do the first guy a favor and offer him an improved setup.

Yeah, I'm going to need GCC/a libc/a good python implementation(pypy?)/a networking stack and some specific drivers to start with, but it's not entirely from scratch. Pre-existing stuff that I'll be using is ffmpeg, ffserver, Motion, VLC, various compilers and drivers and NginX (so maybe I exaggerated a bit in the original post about just how minimal I want to start with).

I'm also thinking about using some mainstream SBCs for GPI/O instead of a PCI riser card, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Maybe I should just start with something like Ubuntu server and rip stuff out as I go...

Go Hardened. Gentoo or Alpine.
Doesn't exist anymore.
B-but it's shit.

Well, shit. I glanced at the website the other day and didn't say anything that I could see. Nginx should still be able to handle what I want to do.

Yeah, kinda, but it's what I know. Do you have a better suggestion for displaying an rmtp stream?

EDIT:
ffmpeg.gusari.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3038

Apparently, it's not being done away with after all. I still don't want to use it after reading that thread, though.

Everything you're asking for is in KDE. Try Neon for the Ubuntu repositories, or OpenSUSE for the YaST experience and the KDE file picker.

I know it's not a popular opinion here but if you think you're going to use Mint you should probably use some Ubuntu flavor instead. Mainly because Mint has poor practices regarding updates and specifically security related updates, also old kernels. The only downside to Ubuntu is the African meme and the ancient (admittedly shitty) Amazon fiasco.

I'm not saying to not use some other distro but if you are considering Mint, you should probably use Ubuntu instead.

You get all updates on Mint just like on Ubuntu. You bitch about "poor practices" like some expert while pretending like you've never heard of the concept of "configuration" as in "you can configure your updates". There are 99 problems with Mint/Cinnamon devs but updates ain't one.

Dolphin is actually really good at this.

I am this close to reinstalling windows

how bout one less back door

I am not highly tech literate, I just help the tech illiterate become more literate

And don't give me the "you can configure it!" Crap. Defaults are important when it comes to a newbie-friendly OS, and Mint developers disable some security updates because they can't test their shit.

You can install Cinammon on Ubuntu and get the same experience without that crap. Or OpenSUSE. Or Fedora. Or Debian. You know why? Because those maintainers actually know what they're doing.

You have never even used Mint, you're just copying the same retarded shit from retarded blog comments by retarded people who never used Mint as well. LMDE is not the same thing as LM and is recommended against. If you ever even visited Mint's website you would probably figure that out in 30 seconds. LMDE is merely an experiment in case their project would ever be blocked from leeching on Ubuntu's servers so that they could eventually rebase Mint on Debian.
The problems with Mint are completely elsewhere: their shitty code. You won't escape them if you use fucking Cinnamon elsewhere. Ditch the whole thing and use some other DE with better and more developers.

kde neon

This. Systemd literally has an http server built in.

systemd the init/service manager, or systemd the collection of tools? Most of those tools go unused on most systems, if they are even packaged and installed together with systemd the init/service manager.

You literally don't know what you're talking about.

Anyone still using awesome? Or is it a meme wm? I decided to go fancy and use a compositor, so I paired it with compton for maximum rice.

If you believe in the systemd meme while being unable to function outside of a DE or even naming a single daemon thats actually running on your system right now install a BSD and learn yoself nigga

Debians whole naming/structure scheme is so fucked up, especially with Testing that gets into Stretch phase. Obviously anything stable is just old and their documentation on the website is a clusterfuck. Fuck me if I am going to spend a bunch of time figuring this I might as well embrace the arch or gahnoo.

everyone switched to i3 5+ years ago

To be honest, I considered switching to it from i3. The problem is that I spend so much time ricing my distro itself that I want an easy-to-configure wm, which is i3 for me.
That said, I should really try out bspwm.

Might give it a try, but I liked how awesome worked. Does i3 play nice with compton?

Yes, although it draws shadows over window borders which is an i3 bug.

Relatively new to linux but am comfortable adding ppas and repositorys. I'm not gonna do anything special or install hundreds of packages, will I be alright with Devuan? Was gonna use Trisquel but last release was 2014.

no, dont use devuan if you dont actually understand init, retard

Go with Debian, get familiar with it and systemd, then decide if you want Devuan instead.

All I'm gonna do is browse the internet I'm somewhat knowledgeable with tech, but not linux. I'm not a power user, why is learning the ins and outs of the system required? I just want a systemd free, one less backdoor to worry about.

Okay, I'm going to say this from the mouth of someone who hates systemd: You've been memed.
systemd is not a backdoor, the problem I have with it is that it replaced a whole bunch of programs I used to have separately, and does much more in a way I don't like.
While having all that functionality in a huge codebase maintained only by a few people has more attack surface, it doesn't necessarily mean backdoors.
If you don't care about the ability to read a 500-line shell script that details exactly how your system boots up, or don't mess much with systemd beyond starting/stopping services, please don't bother getting away from it, especially if you're new to linux.

just get a mac

While the attack surface certainly is bigger, systemd is not a serious security issue compared to other pieces of software running on people's computers. See: browsers, mostly, but many, many other pieces of software qualify as well. Granted, they usually can't be used to gain root, but that's usually not necessary.

Kill yourself

Opinions on Solus ?

does anyone know what DE/font/WM/WM theme this guy is using?

My point is that systemd has no backdoors, and the security "issues" it "has" are negligible at worst.

Manjaro default?

Debian or Arch for someone who's used Mint for a bit and had it shit the bed on PC already?

Debian, do a netinstall. It's both more minimal than Arch and easier to use, as well as better maintained. Stuff like apt will also be familiar to you.

Can someone recommend a rolling release for someone who can't fix his own problems if they occur

I assume you can substantiate this claim, am I right?

pick one and only one

linuxfromscratch.org/

Strictly speaking there's no such thing. But people say that Debian testing is as stable as a fixed release.

I forgot how comfy TWM was.

too bad debian testing goes into 6+ month freezes before the release of a new stable version, (like it is right now), meaning no packages get updated for half a year

that, and sometimes there's packages that are just missing from testings repos, forcing you to have some ungodly mix of stable, testing and unstable repos. It can work, but since that guy especially said he can't fix his own problems, this is probably not for him

how's that rox-filer working out for you? not bothered by its severe lack of features?

SUSE Leap here.

RPM's work well, but I still prefer compiling from source.

for what I use a file manager for it's fine. I like simple.

pretty good so far.
xinit is gonna be not working when I restart just like the last time but Ill figure that out

Personally, I like using straight Debian. It works well, provides a lot of freedom, and operates without many bugs/problems. It looks great with cinnamon as well.

>>debian.org/

You know that sooner or later that's not gonna work.. atleast without a lot of manual intervention on your part. Sad.

Come join us at the Gentoo side

I want to host a Plex Server and play Windows Video Games using GPU Passthrough. Which Distro is the most suited for this purpose?

I tried it with Fedora and Debian and I had more luck with Fedora except for the fact that I couldn't get the VirtIOSCSI option in the VM manager and when I tried to get the windows 7 to install it wouldn't read the virtual disk properly no matter which ISO I would try. Windows 10 and 8 need VirtIOSCSI so I was stuck before I gave up and reinstalled 7.

I love GNU/Linux but I need my vidya and plex.

There's a lot of trouble involved to get that working, you need a "known good" GPU and mobo combination where miraclously, all the needed stuff (VT-d, MSI-X re-routing, MSR etc) isn't subtly broken.

vgpu is generally the only stable option (this is what Amazon gives you, for example), unfortunatelly you need Tesla card for that. There's also XenGT, but Intel isn't exactly a gaming GPU option.

You need to install the OS using emulated AHCI/ first, THEN you bring in the virtio driver, and only after the driver is loaded you can boot with virtio. You still need to keep AHCI enabled for the bootloader in HVM, but the main OS will then use virtio.

I was able to get 8.1 installed using Debian stretch follow this guide youtube.com/watch?v=dsDUtzMkxFk.
Even if he is a furfag
It's not perfect but it got me 90% of the way.
I'm still messing with the settings in virt manager but I have 8.1 installed and have the latest AMD drivers installed in my VM. Still working on the audio but he has a link in the description to a forum thread with more info. I just haven't gotten time to get farther.

I have a 980 and it has VT-d.

currently after rebooting I can't startx because no logind.
I dont have time to install gentoo tonight and I dont want a distro that has to compile updates on my laptop anyway.
probably moving from arch to gentoo when I get time on my desktop though.

I do not support systemd for many reasons and refuse to use distros that have it, but you are asking him to prove a negative, which is bullshit. Quote the relationship between vault7/snowden/other leaks and bloaty software/ goverment sponsored software, talk about pottering's TSC and involvement with alphabet soup companies, discuss systemd's software architecture or security flaws. Telling someone to prove that something *doesn't* exist is a worthless endeavor and just makes you look like a /christian/ faggot.

Why do you use words you don't understand?

What kind of argument is this?

wut?

pic unrelated.

Linux-lite, worth installing or ignore? What's some good unofficial distros

Systemd actually shit or is this shit being rattled off for the sake of it? For a newfag to Linux, is there a difference between having it or not?

Systemd is shit, but if you are a newfag you probably won't care about why. Just pick a distro that sounds good to you. Even a distro with systemd is better than using proprietary software.

Debian is safe enough for security-oriented distros like tails, whonix, and kali to trust it as their base. All in all it's a good all-around distro for just about anything. And if you really want to obsess about version numbers, like all n00bs everywhere, you can install testing or sid and make it just as bleeding edge, insecure, and unstable as any other distro.

it's shit but not enough to notice unless you're paranoid about NSA shit, at least right now

Antergos is a terribly bloated, if you want an easy Arch install use Archbang

Just popping in to provide a nice distro for those that don't want all of the trouble of installing debian on a laptop and want to avoid systemd.

antiX is systemd free, based on debian, and has easy support for wireless drivers that could be a hassle for a new user. It has a graphical install, yet is lightweight. Any big problems probably have similar resolutions to other major distributions due to its similarity to debian.

I put this on a 50$ dell craptop that I keep at a friends place, and was very pleasantly surprised with the ease of install, working out of the box, and very light system usage. If you are thinking about installing linux and want an easy start while avoiding systemd for some reason, check it out. Or if you just want a minimal debian based system without pounding your balls, it's just as good, I'm really happy with it.

If the driver is free, wireless drivers should be no problem. There is only a problem if you rely on wireless devices that require non-free drivers.

I hate how fluxbox doesn't allow for some kind of 'start button.' I fucking hate having to minimize multiple windows to open the menu. I've never used openbox. It may allow this, but I'd rather not switch.

Red Star OS is the best GNU/Linux distro hands down.

openingupnorthkorea.com/downloads-2

after a period trying different distros on my desktop, I finally realize that void is the best.
xbps is fantastic, simple, intuitive and easy to remember the commands for. xbps-src, the ports like source packaging system, lets you set USE flags like on gentoo, and its easy to make it apply a patch to some file before compiling.
runit is simple and comfy. not sysv, no systmd bloat.
it has more software now than I remember it having the last time I tried it.
it also requires remarkably few packages. my nearly complete desktop with ibus, steam, firefox, deadbeef, a media player, and a bunch of other things only has about 500 packages. My laptop has 450. And thats NOT like Arch where they bundle things that are normally split up into one package either, packages are actually split up very granularly
(though this is using a WM instead of a full desktop enviornment, which'd come with a bunch of its own libraries and smaller utilities and stuff)
despite it being a 'hard' distro, things that I had trouble with on other distros are just working on void. my graphics tablet works without me going and getting the digimend kernel drivers, probably because its using a newer kernel I suppose. And, using nouveau drivers, both my monitors wake up after going to sleep, wheras on arch and gentoo the big one wouldn't wake up until I maved
Downsides I notice:
-Still somewhat limited respositories. anthy is the only japanese IME, no mozc, SELinux or apparmor. no freetard kernel.
-your xbps-src package, compiled with its particular USE flags, will be overwritten by the normal repos version when you update, unless you manually put it on hold. so you have to manually install it again from xbps-src when theres an update, instead of it managing updates correctly. not too much of a problem if you only have a few packages like that, and xbps-query has a flag to list all held packages probably for that reason, but still. as nice as having a ports system is, I have to say its a kinda sucky one for that.

pic related. havn't set up terminal colors yet.

I was using Kubuntu for a while, since 12.04. Friday I went to upgrade to 17.04 and couldn't get into Plasma. Tried wiping everything and reinstalling (after forcing unity desktop and saving docs, data) and fresh installing. Worked fine until I tried the nVidia drivers and then it started shitting itself. Wiped again and installed PCLOS to get away from systemd, but now I regret not going with Red Star OS.

Anyway, fuck nVidia for making my upgrade a day of hell. But it least it got me off *buntu.

I have Alt+Space set for accessing the root menu.

~/.fluxbox/keys
Mod1 space :RootMenu

Hello,

I want to try using i3 for normal home use (internet, vidya) over a debian-based distro. Should I use ubuntu or plain debian?

gentoo, no desktop environment. I avoid anything with gnome or kde because they're slow as fuck and I use computers not phones
i briefly used fedora for a while 10 years ago but it was a slow insecure piece of shit
but Gentoo literally Just Werks (TM). I have my own OS free of *nix nonsense as well but I named Gentoo for your convenience.

Gentoo is not a meme. Once set up it is rock solid.

You're supposed to customize window managers:
A) Make the toolbar smaller so you can always access the root menu with the mouse
B) Use keyboard shortcuts
C) Use something like dmenu to run software

I'm surprised and how many fags seem to be defending it

K D E N E O N
D
E

N
E
O
N

(Or Kubuntu)

I'm French

Is there any way to delete systemd from Ubuntu and install OpenRC or something like that?

Gen too

Void is the best, but Gentoo is even bester.

It has an installer. Plebs can't install Arch Linux nor Gentoo even though it's just a matter of reading instructions and copypasting commands.

I tried gentoo briefly actually, I didnt like it as much.

i can feel the slowness through the screenshot

JUST USE KALI LINUX

I don't want to accidentally hack my neighbours.

JUST

user I need a distro to replace win7 on my htpc, what do.

Mythbuntu?

Mint Cinnamon

Pfft. I'm using pretty old / low end hardware, and it runs better than gnome did.

Mint's package management is retarded.

It's not, you incompetent faggot. It is the same as on Debian and Ubuntu, it uses apt. And if you do want to use Mint's GUI "update manager" for some reason it is trivially easy to make it work the exact same way as you would use apt on your own.

The people behind mint like to rename packages for shits and giggles and then block other packages when their renaming breaks compatibility. Get your reddit meme distro out of here.

Yeah, and which obscure 2 packages are that? Do you really believe that win7 user will install them? You don't know what you're talking about, just repeating the same retarded shit you read in some blog comments.

Oh I'd say lightdm or "mdm" (MInd display manager) is pretty important.

top kek. lightdm is not overnamed at all. mint display manager (mdm) is obviously not what was overnamed, it is itself what overnamed "the middleman system" which has bellow 100 users on debian's popcon.
maybe you should research things on your own instead of believing some bullshit by people who never even used mint.
but i'm sure someone coming from windows 7 will be so much more delighted to shoot himself in the foot with whatever meme distro you'll recommend him and never come back to gnu/linux.

Good luck changing the display manager in mint. mdm is a bitch

at that point you would be installing debian anyway, which is nicer than mint.

although i really wonder why you failed to change the display manager. obviously you have to disable the mdm service and enable whatever replacement you installed. sudo systemctl disable mdmsudo apt-get install lightdmsudo systemctl enable lightdm

Manjaro. It's based on Arch, but has the "it just works" of Ubuntu.

I wouldn't say "it just works" when the devs tell their users to set back time when they forget to update their certs.