Microsoft moves to block Windows 7/8.1 security updates for users with new processors

support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4012982/discusses-an-issue-in-which-you-receive-a-your-pc-uses-a-processor-tha

Is there no level that Microsoft won't stoop to to force shit down their customer's throats? Good luck to everyone who already bought a Ryzen processors and was using it with Windows 7 or 8.1.

Other urls found in this thread:

microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

i expect this will not affect enterprise editions, at least not for a while. i work for a gov department that throws tens of millions of dollars at MS and our win10 builds are still in the testing phase.

feels good

You and I are friends now.

forgot pic

Same. Feels good man.

is there a livecd with linux 4.10 or otherwise capable of booting on ryzen?

Yes, but just Arch Linux currently.

There are no limitations on part of the hardware; they're just blocking the updates deliberately. It's a plain old anti-feature.
This is what happens when you choose proprietary software

Shame that PSP is a thing otherwsie I would have considered Zen even without Windows 7 support as I could just do the sane thing and run Void with a PCIE-passthrough VM if I fell like it.

Void is also an option. Fuck systemd.

Archive.fo doesn't work on this page, it only gets full screen white fill.
Is is deliberately made to make it harder to point to (((their))) previous posts?

Unless they want a PR nightmare Microsoft had better offer free Windows 10 upgrades to those affected. Actually, this might be for the best: early adopters of new CPUs are predominantly gamers, and Microsoft DirectX 12 plus numerous optimizations (including an all-new "Game Mode"!) make Windows 10 the best gaming platform on the market today.

I guess Windows 10 is technically an "upgrade" but it's not the word I'd use.

windows 10 users get cucked again!
News at 11!

Proprietary software and the freedom to choose.
Either you choose to "voluntarily" upgrade to cancer10 or you get screwed. With the bonus feature that you'll also get screwed when you upgrade to botnet10

windows 10 is pc for macfags

Why on earth would a slightly more powerful processor require that you ditch an entire operating system, and not just an operating system, but the most used one before the new one? What is the component that really needs W10 that makes the new processor unusable on Windows 7 or XP?

There's been a constant free upgrade still running:
microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Why do people do the security updates at all? Why do people still run this on the bare metal? Use GNU/Linux as your host OS and run Windows in a VM with a GPU passthrough. Works great for me.

I've been using Debian and OpenSUSE as my primary operating systems for years now. Literally zero problems.

Except for the fact that they broke shitloads of compatibility with software made for XP/Vista/7. I just want to play stuff like the original Halo or Star Wars Battlefront, and as a paying customer the message sent to me buy MS is "go fuck yourself". This is why proprietary software is trash.

Mac OS and Android are some of the last sane operating systems that have significant non-free portions. Even Android has gone to shit on Samsung and certain Chinese devices that heavily skin the OS and pack it with malware apps. Once I get a GNU/Phone and I can run Adobe software natively on Debian based distros I'll switch fully to GNU/Linux.

My bet would be on the PSP.

It's actually the integrated graphics from what people have observed, but you may be correct.

Most PCs out there can't handle that. Both the mobo and CPU need to support GPU virtualization. None of (((Intel)))'s popular gayming CPUs from the last decade do.

Ryzen doesn't have any integrated graphics.

Same exact story here except I didn't even break my Windows partition, I just realized that I was never booting into it because playing the limited number of games that don't work in WINE wasn't worth the effort of booting into Michaelsoft Winblows so I just deleted it to free up space for more shit.

?????? YES THEY CAN AND DO??
Stop trying to act smart online when you dont have a clue what you are talking about retard

You have no idea what you're talking about, m8. Even my shitty Core2 Duo ThinkPad from like 2008 supports GPU virtualization. I use an eGPU on my 2011 MBP when I need to do heavy video editing, and I use that eGPU from a VM sometimes. Also, I'm not sure if Ryzen has an iGPU or not but I know the latest Intel ones do, and those iGPUs don't work if you use an older OS like Windows 7 on them.

buy the Master Chef Collection, goy
buy the new EA Battlefront + a season pass

You don't wanna miss out on all those great quadruple AAA titles now, do you? :^)

actually the "K" series of intel core# CPUs do not support VT-d, and thus no PCI pass-through. Most gaymers bought those CPUs because muh overclocking (like the highly popular i5-2500K)

Also, let's not pretend that setting all this shit up is something the average user could do. When I last tried it I still had to manually patch and compile Xen

hahah, goy, if you have a new processor, better use my admach- i mean my new operating system

Can't wait to see what other things Microsoft has in store to "encourage" users to "upgrade." Cutting off access to Windows Update once support ends?

Joke's on Microsoft, I already blocked their updates years ago.

they change their feauture set every new product launch. the latest "k" does actually support VT

fuck intel though