GNU Guile 2.2.0 released

On the birthday of or lord and savior and one of the conceptors of scheme Guile 2.2.0 is out.

gnu.org/software/guile/news/gnu-guile-
220-released.html

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Programming-in-C.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Call me when:
-They have an amd64 JIT
-Emacs Guile is finished

The most I want from Guile is noob learning guides.
Like, imagine that Ruby Wizardry book, but with Guile.
Simple example code of GTK hello world applications would be fine.

GTK is crap and must die

No.

how the fuck else are you going to make GUIs?

or are you just one of those g kids that blows hot air about how everything should be in the terminal but ends up doing the majority of your work in browser.

m8, GTK isn't the only toolkit. GTK2 is pretty good, from the user pov, I think. GTK3 is horrible cancer.

why is gtk3 worse than gtk2? honest question, not trying to argue.

I understand that you should always use the newest software to avoid security bugs, isn't sticking to gtk2 dangerous in that respect?

gtk2 is still maintained, the number just shows a change in the api
the gnome developers (who also develop gtk3, but not gtk2 if I recall correctly) like to change the api randomly, essentially breaking lots of interfaces, and recently they began some sort of campaign about trying to get every application using gtk3 to do things "the gnome way" even if it makes no sense for the application at hand (e.g. it's multiplatform and gtk is used inside a wrapper only for the gui part)
gtk2 is more consistent and looks decent out of the box without themes

thanks for the information!

Yes, for someone who already knows Scheme the manual is sufficient, but for anyone else the suggested bibliography is a joke. SICP is great, but it's not something I would point people to if all they want to do is write a simple script. You know, like one would want to do with an extension language.

What's with that girl? Is she the Scheme equivalent of the Lisp alien?

Don't forget that GTK+3 also has a hard dep on fucking dbus.

No way! I can't believe that a general GUI toolkit would require some way to marshal messages from program to program! I hate GTK3 now.

SJW/feminism programing user.

What kind of software is made in guile anyway ?

(double checked) bless this day

Isn't shepherd made with guile ?

It is.

I've been messing with ECL recently. does Guile do something similar?

part of the point of Guile was to do something similar, and you can read about it here: gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Programming-in-C.html

but man, if you're going to use some random incompatible bitrot language, why not Lua? The big win with ECL is the CL.

Well my dream is to write low level functions in C and then live call them with a higher level language. I've only just begun trying to get this working. But with CL I had a hell of a time writing a FFI, passing structs took me a day to figure out. Lua doesn't seem like it has any live abilities. And ECL got me a repl in 30 mins.
Maybe I'm going about this all wrong but it seems like something that'd be really cool to use.

If GTK2 is still maintained why did MATE just released a new version completing the port to GTK3 and dropping GTK2 entirely? If GTK2 is really maintained they should be the ones more interested in that.

That's just your opinion on design.

So, it's GNU "JAVA"

If you're going to put it that way, then every interpreted language is just "Java": Python, Ruby, Perl, Lua, and so on. If you are going to compare Guile Scheme to a language, then compare it to those other scripting languages.

But it is finished with this version.

Not that user but isn't virtual machine != interpreter?

I don't know about the exact terminology, but any interpreted language worth shit (Python, Ruby, Lua, Javascript) is compiled to bytecode which then runs on a VM. It used to be that Guile didn't have a VM, so the raw source code was interpreted, but since 2.0 at least it is first compiled to bytecode. I know some people also consider bytecode running on a VM to qualify interpreted as well.

Source?