Why is animation so lazy now? Just look at those boring shapes and lack ot design

Why is animation so lazy now? Just look at those boring shapes and lack ot design

w-why would you ever set up layering so that could even do that

Why would you bring up the bad animation of steven universe and not mention how the character's proportions are frequently inconsistent

Cause it's cheaper to animate and people aren't allowed to criticize or dislike it

We don't really need yet another thread about this garbage.

The hipsters who write and create these cartoons don't care about the animation quality because they think having a "good" story is the most important thing in a cartoon.

I'll keep posting this until you like it.

Make a webm to prove you're not a shill.

Playing devil's avocate here, that shit is 20 minutes long.

80s and 90s animation will always be superior!

I thought it was both.

Lazy companies and cheap "animation" software combined with SJW calarts types that work for nothing.

Because doodling is so "offbeat" and "real", especially if you're the target audience

I've been soliciting artists for (well) paid animation and character design work lately across a couple different sites, I haven't picked one yet though I've had quite a few applicants. The only real problem is that the best and most experienced candidate thus far-by far is a literal female SJW with a Calarts style, and my project is going to be contrarian/politically incorrect (though it won't be readily apparent at first). Where can I find a good artist that will respect my privacy as I intend to respect theirs? One that isn't all but guaranteed to retroactively out me for having the wrong opinions in front of people I otherwise get along with?

Maybe I'm worrying too much. If I'm firm in my own convictions I shouldn't give a shit what anybody else thinks should I?

find someone else or you're fucked lol

I want to cuddle with 1980's.

The question is whether you think she'll "expose" you or not do you really want to give money to someone like that either way?

Edit is obvious

Butthurt is obvious

Because it's cheap.

I'm going to go ahead and call bullshit on this. There is no way you're offering to pay people $22+ an hour to work on your shitty bitch fit cartoon.

Bait is obvious

You're still biting, stupidass.

Lack of experienced artists and animators.

Yeah, I'm planning on spending thousands of dollars to make a 20 second cartoon and upload it to newgrounds, you got me.

Actually I have commercial applications in mind so yes, if they're good I'm willing to pay $20/hr or so for the one full day of work a week I can afford to get out of them-with much more to come if things work out, of course.

I thought so too, but I think the main problem is that they're using the wrong mindset for animation, as they think that in order to tell a story you need to act like you're spreading a message so the animation doesn't mater and everybody eats it up. When in reality it takes more than just words to tell a good story with a show, you also need a look that's aesthetically pleasing to they eyes of the viewer, which is quite lacking form most new shows

Well, with "creator-driven" cartoons they can always use the "just my style" excuse. They also want kids to think they could draw them too.

That excuse fails to fly when you see so many other shows that almost all have the same goddamned style.

Y'know what really pisses me off. One of the animators said that they didn't want to use graphs and say this is all on purpose because cartoons should be off model like Spumco or other golden age cartoons. This argument doesn't hold because they don't look like characters stretched to exaggerate a pose but like amateurish drawings. This really pisses me off because it's pretty much disrespecting actual talented animators.

What I don't get is that animation has always been done on a budget, so now that it's even more efficient with digital coloring and the like, how is it even worse than before?

That's a good point, but I think they realized somewhere along the way that they don't need to produce Japanese-OVA style animation to appeal to their target audience (mentally ill SJWs from dumblr). All of what was once the animation budget goes to the executives and voice actors.

What was once the animation budget, now goes to the writers (who are the producers or into the producers cabal) (because cutting costs) and hiring Nicki Minaj to do one role.

It's because writing is more desirable than animation quality today. I don't know what it has to do with hipsters or SJWs.

Considering every cartoon nowadays has shit writing, this is not the case.

Let me help you. I am seeing this from every modern american cartoon, even in slapstick cartoons, remarkably by the calart tumblr tits. Everything from a storyboard writer stand point and control.

-Seconds close-up scenes, especially in conversations
-Standing doing nothing
-Copy action scenes from existing movies( or animes)

This is shit and autistic writing. Very repetitive, very cheap and that is why I don't watch them.

Thanks for reminding me of that user's channel. It's nice to see a entertainment /video essay channel that has more conservative view.

that's not really writing, that's mostly storyboarding and scene direction. The problems with writing are that there's never any real growth or consequences. whenever problems are inteoduced, they're either immediately resolved or never mattered in the first place. Characters are often 2-dimensional at best, and literally just plot devices that do whatever the script wants them to at worst. Character consistency is usually the worst, writers seem to just not care what a character "would do" and only write what is most convenient or relevant to the plot, regardless of the character themselves. this has been sort of common in animation, as it makes it easier to write jokes in shows where the character themselves are just vehicles for comedy; like tom and jerry or ren and stimpy.
However, there's another problem that's new to cartoons, which is melodrama. it began with rebecca sugar (and considering the worst offenders are AT and SU i suspect it might just be her), and is characterized by meaningless displays of emotion that have no consequences and don't develop any of the characters in any way. Something happens, people yell/laugh/cry/emote, everybody makes up, and it's never brought up or impacts anything ever again.
It's like these writers are trying to write fucking Shakespeare but all they have to go off of is bad sitcoms.

Could it because storyboard driven 10 minute stories don't lend themselves so well to this style?

No just shit writing. Steven Universe could be easily fixed with better writing, the 10 minute time limit usually don't ruin anything, and they can just make two parters when they need to, so it's mainly the fact that the writers are hacks, not the ten minute time limit.

This sentence was horribly put together.

What gets me is that there are many ways to fix SU without sacrificing the cutsey feelies bullshit the writers seem to love so much.

>MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN. ANYTHING. DON'T JUST MAKE IT ALMOST HAPPEN. INVASION, THE CLUSTER ACTING UP, SOMETHING. SOMETHING THAT'LL GET THE CGS' LAZY ASSES IN GEAR AND THE TOWNIES TO ACT LIKE HUMAN BEINGS. MORE THAN 100 EPISODES AND THEY'RE JERKING OFF LIKE IT'S SEASON 1. NOT EVEN THE EARTH'S IMMINENT DESTRUCTION COULD PUSH STEVEN OUT OF HIS LITTLE BUBBLE.

They did 20+ minute episodes already, nothing changed or fixed the gaps despite having more freedom.

How long before Takashi0 and the Calarts defence force find this thread?

What if they want the series to end with lollygagging being the group's downfall, the main characters never taking action during the finale could lead to them dying, but we all know that this show would be all melodramatic fluff to the very end and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the series finale and the rest of the episodes

They'd have to lead up to that moment. They can't just pull that out of their ass at the last moment and expect us to suddenly like and forgive all the stupid bullshit the group has done up to that point.

Who?

Someone who defends calarts without hesitance like they think that without it animation would be dead