UN privacy watchdog says 'little or no evidence' that mass surveillance works

The laws are "predicated on the psychology of fear," which prevents the public from "objectively assessing the effectiveness" of privacy-busting measures, said the UN special rapporteur.
ZDNet story:
archive.is/JPeZs

Source document:
assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3514983/UN-special-rapporteur-on-the-right-to-privacy.pdf

Sadly, I think this will make about as much of a difference as the universally acknowledged fact that the supposed justification for what airlines do is empty security theater, but one can always dream this may be the start of top-level political opposition to mass surveillance.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat-tailed_distribution
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Trust us.
We have no evidence.
Like always they are either clueless gullible or complete tools.
When someone points a gun towards you, you don't assume that it's not loaded.

Mass Surveillance has caught thousands of terrorists

Fuckoff tinfoil l00nix tard

Heh.

They're a controlled opposition. A bit of surface criticism made to look like a serious disagreement to divert your attention, while regurgitating the same ideology otherwise.

Hope so, OP. Never thought our supposedly free countries would be taking cues from China/N. Korea on how to handle freedom and human rights.

Mass surveillance has an effect. It's called the Chilling Effect, and it's more about silencing dissidents, investigators, and journalism than actually catching criminals.

and corporate espionage.

you didnt get the message

That's why you might as well think these leaks are a deliberate attempt to scare you into self-normalizing and self-censoring - it's way more efficient for the system if you do it yourself. Not that that's actually their intention, but the effects of these leaks are ambivalent.

If the CIA was told to fuck off with the controlled terrorist attacks and false flags, terrorism would mysteriously drop like a rock. It's always the work of the CIA niggers, terry was right again.

found the FBI

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat-tailed_distribution

Fat tails my man. Single events of terrorism are relatively rare but have a disproportionately negative outcome. The number of US deaths from terrorism in 2001 was zero until september. It then jumped to 2,977 with over 6000 injuries.

/thread

mass surveillance was never about terrorism nor cp nor preventing/solving crime problems. It is just to scan society for potential enemies of the state and preventively destroy them if needed before they can become a serious threat

tell me something i don't know.

the goyim are so easily manipulable i almost feel compelled to help the jews make them all go extinct from how fucking stupid they are.

Know how many people die from hospital malpractice, mishaps, misprescriptions, etc. every week? 5000

For real though most of it is our fault either through direct intervention/causation or through proxy forces we then get to label as boogeymen or heros. Most of our gov officials need to be hanged for constitutional violations, crimes against humanity, blatant fraud and corruption.

I'm not the only one who thinks this sometimes then

Why would alphabet agencies show evidence of dragnet surveillance working? It's a passive measure, the whole point is to pretend that nothing is happening.
Sure, it might be near-zero improvement, or worse, but these people only need the security theatre and security of employment.

but muh
and
EU is better in this instance, too bad they're fags