Buying fucking TV

inb4 muh resolution. only dumb goys buy into fullHD or 4k meme. 720p video at 40-50" 16:9 looks great and sharp, still good at 60-70"
projectors are small, mobile, cheap, efficient. they let you easily change size and position of where your "tv" is.
only problem could be noise, but you use high volume for audio when watching videos anyway

k

Get your ears checked

Maybe if you have a setup complete with canvas and dimmable room, sure. Otherwise lolno.
You're going to get absolutely shit contrast in most cases, and unless the room is properly dimmed you're not going to be able to see shit.

Yes because more pixels is obviously a bad thing.
I'm not saying you should dump thousands of dollars on paneling that's currently in its infancy, but claiming that 720p is "good enough" and that everyone who wants higher res are "dumb goys" makes you look as stupid as Bill Gates with his "640k is enough for everyone" spiel.

Only if you buy the shit ones that break cause cramped.

Not more so than your average 4K tv.

Draws about the same amount of power as your average LCD TV, sometimes more depending on projection system.

Sure, everyone loves getting tinnitus while still being able to hear the woosh woosh of the projector mixing with the sound.

>>>/g/

good goy, work more at corporation to buy fancy tv

You watch videos at night and with curtains on windows so it's totally dark

I'm saying 720p projectors are great, resolution is enough. More pixels is better but you won't see them unless you have huge tv/projector. Also there is problem with source - even today not everything is made in true fullhd 1080p, in 4k almost nothing.

even medium sized projectors are 10 times smaller than TV

less, much less
and if you want to compare 60" DLP then compare it to 60" plasma or CRT. LCD is trash and doesn't have viewing angles or black color

when you watch videos, movies, games, events, sports, you want to watch them loud
and projectors don't have to be loud. use ECO mode, do fan swap

CRTs offer small screen size
they are huge and heavy
use much electrical energy

There is no point using CRT TV when we have plasma TV

most sources are 16:9 anyway. do you want to watch black bars on top and bottom?

And what about when you don't? Not everyone wants to turn their living room into a coffin the moment they need to watch the news.

Why the fuck would I compare projectors with an old display device that's not even manufactured anymore.
No, how about we stick to modern times and compare it with OLED or LCD.
Yes plasma is more power hungry but why would you get a plasma when you can get an OLED for the same price and none of the burn-in.

Speak for yourself. I sure as hell don't.

Or I could just buy a normal TV and enjoy not having to void my warranty or listen to endless fan droning.

You do realize that plenty of people have 40"+ 4K TVs as monitors? I have one. Just because you're poor and can't afford one isnt a reason to make a thread.

Plasma TVs also use boatloads of electricity you dingus.

only dumb goys buy tvs

sure i want to give up the 70inch TV with home cinema-esque features that i'm living with right now for a small century old fuzzy quality pile of poo projector

it makes sense daddy-o

reported

i didn't buy my new linux OS just to see it run on a crappy projector screen that's for sure

I never understood the 1080p meme

480p is good enough quality to watch shows on a 60+ inch TV

Remember to refill that coolant

Projectors are patrician hardware for basement lounges ( dual projectors are better imo).

I dont run linux unless i'm forced to. And all the linux stuff I run are commercial products (Cisco Prime, Virtual Wireless LAN Controller and Adaptive Security Appliance, VMware vCenter Server Appliance). Everything else is Windows.

Maybe your eyes are shit? Seriously, it makes a very obvious difference. Really looks a lot more clear.

how much are replacement blubs, how long do the blubs last? What are the estimated lifetime costs for owning a projector with daily multiple hour usage? I ask because it was thousands of dollars more ten years ago, has the tech or cost changed since then.

inb4 muh shows. only dumb goys buy into shows or movie meme. infinite resolution at infinite" ∞:∞ looks great and sharp, still good at ∞+1
imaginations are small and big, mobile, free, efficient. they let you easily change size and position of where your "imagination" is.
only problem could be having a shitty imagination, but you use high thinking for mental stimulation when watching imaginations anyway

What if I want to play multiplayer with my imagination?

that's called 'hanging out with friends'

It's like you guys are gay or something.

Why would you buy that when the human eye can't even see

You're retarded, right?

Why?

That'll go well with those Coconut Audio cables you use to render those 320kbit MP3s with 90% fidelity.

>the human eye can't see even see

Modern projector bulbs have official lifetimes of 2k-10k hours, and like projectors themselves vary wildly in price (under $50 to over $1k). Note that bulbs practically never "die" (and if they do, that's covered under warranty), but instead become dimmer, with their official lifetimes being the point when they're supposed to hit 1/2 original brightness.

Much as with CRTs, though, this all depends on your personal standards, and the brightness of the material you view. For instance, I have a used projector whose bulb I've never replaced, and run for 2-6 hours every day for about 6 years, that I have no complaints with.

Laser Projectors have a 50000 hours lifespan, consume less power, have higher resolutions and the best colour gamut available right now regarding any screen technology.

Because not everyone can spend their entire life staring at command line windows and jerking it to cartoon girls.

I've heard there are basically two different sorts of laser projectors. One uses lasers/VCELs/LEDs indirectly as a light source in place of mercury/xenon bulbs, with the rest of the projector being conventionally fixed-pixel in design (DLP/LCD/LCoS/etc & prisms/mirrors). The other uses lasers more directly as part of a CRT-like scanning system.

Is the latter pure vaporware?

LG and Hisense are pioneering it, and they don't disclose the method. I think they aren't going full laser right now due to problems with the green and blue - they then decided to use a potent red laser combined with blue and green leds to create an approximation. It's still better than anything around, but far from fully developed.

Isn't blue just a helium laser?

Shill or fanboy detected. I own multiple projectors and the bulbs die all of the time.

You're dreaming, you have to buy them yourself. I've spent $500+ on bulbs for just one projector I have in the last 3 years. I ask more of it than my others since it stays in a smokey environment that ranges between 100F in the summer and below freezing for 3 months in the winter. But if it had these so call in destructible bulbs that shouldn't matter

I don't have to replace the bulbs on the ones indoors as often but they go out all of the time too. It's by design. They want you constantly replacing the bulbs of giving up and buying another projector.

Holy jesus fuck that's probably not covered anyway by any warranty I can imagine. Are you one of those people constantly dropping your phone on cement and complaining about how easy the screens crack?

It's in an outbuilding (barn) faggot. It's a private bar that isn't heated in the winter unless there is a party or people in it (which is about 6 hours a night). People smoke in it but it's such a large space that it doesn't matter. It gets dusty until I do a deep cleaning too because it's a space that sees use. My barn is no worse than a typical sports bar.

Your warranty is going to at best cover one bulb replacement. Then it's $200+ every time one goes out in the future or you have the option of buying a new model from them.

I think he means that the human eye only sees red, green, and blue, and not all of the colors in between.

Projectors belong in the garage when you're having a hangout/party. Anything remotely interesting or serious and they're useless garbage

Boy do i feel sorry for you

Aside from the intuitive evidence of looking at a rainbow and seeing many distinct colors, fact is that in a normal healthy person's cone cells, while there are three different pigments, their partly overlapping spectral responses fully cover the 390-700nm band, and the brain's interpolation allows distinction of any color within that band to within 1-10nm accuracy depending on wavelength. Although there is one exception, purple, which isn't a real color, instead being an artifact of the brain wrapping around the top and bottom ends of the visible spectrum together.

not as much as your family feels sorry for your parents