CPU Thread

Alright, Holla Forums, I know this has been discussed probably a hundred times before - but - CPU security/hardware backdoor thread.
From what I know, Intel is thoroughly fucked past 2008 due to forced IME/vPro shenanigans.
AMD is just as fucked post-2013 due to PSP.
Among major CPU vendors, that mostly leaves ARM. However, AMD's PSP is mostly reliant on ARM's TrustZone.
Now, the question is: is TrustZone a botnet/backdoor/have capability for it? Should we just trust open-hardware projects like RISC V/lowRISC?
Finally, since these are largely unavailable for use atm, is the only real option to use OpenSPARC?
Discuss

Pic related, Intel.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/corna/me_cleaner
media.ccc.de/v/32c3-7352-towards_reasonably_trustworthy_x86_laptops
twitter.com/Snowden/status/837367956229206016
reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5x4hxu/we_are_amd_creators_of_athlon_radeon_and_other/def7ti0/
crowdsupply.com/sifive/hifive1
crowdsupply.com/sifive/hifive1/
github.com/ARM-software/arm-trusted-firmware
lists.phcomp.co.uk/pipermail/arm-netbook/2017-March/013115.html
youtube.com/watch?v=yRxDvkKBMTc
blog.invisiblethings.org/papers/2015/x86_harmful.pdf
gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.en.html
lists.phcomp.co.uk/pipermail/arm-netbook/2016-November/012350.html
coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2017-February/083287.html
coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2017-February/083306.html
coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2017-February/083307.html
coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2017-February/083316.html
coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2017-February/083311.html
coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2017-February/083312.html
coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2017-February/083314.html
coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2017-February/083363.html
youtube.com/watch?v=yRxDvkKBMT
lists.phcomp.co.uk/pipermail/arm-netbook/2016-November/012358.html
lists.phcomp.co.uk/pipermail/arm-netbook/2016-November/012364.html
rhombus-tech.net/rock_chips/rk3288/news/First_Revision_EOMA68_RK3288_PCB_design_19nov2016/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UltraSPARC_T1#Systems
crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop/updates/first-update
libreboot.org/docs/hcl/#supported_desktops_x86amdintel
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Come on I know there's somebody more knowledgeable/paranoid about this here than I am

I don't know, I've heard arguments that all x86 derivatives are not to be trusted. That includes 64-bit, and AMD.
Maybe I'm wrong though.

You can make Intel ME harmless with: github.com/corna/me_cleaner
Thanks Coreboot devs! Their mailing list has more info on the tool.

ME isn't the only problem with x86 though. It's just the most visible form of the cancer.
media.ccc.de/v/32c3-7352-towards_reasonably_trustworthy_x86_laptops

Can we ironically trust chinese Arm SOCs than US technology? Better the enemy you don't know? The fastest server Arm machines are coming from fabs with defense industry contracts... it's getting ridiculous. Move to Brazil, start an open fab!

According to a reddit AMA thread held by AMD recently, they will consider open-sourcing PSP. I don't think it will go anyway though tbh lads
twitter.com/Snowden/status/837367956229206016
reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5x4hxu/we_are_amd_creators_of_athlon_radeon_and_other/def7ti0/

Not to be an asshole, but this demonstrates the point.
When are they going to open source their processor logic and IP core? Sun did it with SPARC.

Honestly this shit all makes me want to break out into autistic screeching.
Why can't we just have a modern open-sourced processor do shit without microcode, without backdoors? It's literally impossible to be free and secure via software until you fix hardware problems. I see /g/ and Holla Forums sperg about free software, while running shit on their Intel Core i7 vPro Intel Botnet Engines. It doesn't make any sense.

Not going to happen famalam, AMD is a business and so is Intel and every other CPU manufacturer. If you want truly free hardware, you best bet is RISC-V/lowRISC

Where can I get my hands on one? lowRISC hasn't done shit, and I don't think RISC-V went past theory.

They were created to accomodate enterprise users who pay Intel and AMD lots of money

Is UltraSPARC all that's left, then?

Exactly. The next best thing to do is to hope RISC-V/lowRISC goes somewhere, use Coreboot, minimize how fucked you are with what user posted or if you're an AMD user, hop aboard the reddit bandwagon and get AMD to opensource PSP.

I currently have an ARMbook, but my suspicion that ARM is no better than the rest made me make this thread.

Also, if you're really concerned about PSP (and only PSP), just get a Vishera-line. They don't have 'em, and are Libreboot supported.

Just found this; apparently somebody is making RISC-V processors.
crowdsupply.com/sifive/hifive1
What can be done with this? How would one begin to turn it into a full system?

RISC-V is happening all over the place. We're still in early days but it's definitely being used in practical applications for the future.

crowdsupply.com/sifive/hifive1/

ARM isn't any better but TrustZone looks less shit than ME and PSP.

Libreboot seems to feel that the RK3288 is safe.

I've heard good things about OpenSPARC T1. Would rigging up a Sun Fire T2000, for example, be a good idea until RISC-V really takes off?

I'm running it right now. It's got the Cortex A17, which has TrustZone baked into the design by ARM. Also, it's made by Chinks.

There needs to be openness requirements enforced at least by social contract. Until now most people have been utterly complacent about the realities of making our lives dependent upon a society where one has no privacy of thought. Intel and AMD both have tech to disassemble each other's parts. They don't need to because property laws enforce it. It would not alter their business model in any way to be required to release their code. This goes for Apple, MS and everyone else.

Yes
It's again basically the same shit it's an OS with hardware priviliges.
It's DRM.
It's Botnet.
Plus the software is "opensorce" under the BSD-clause 3 witch lets manufacturers tivoize that shit, thus amd locking everyone.

github.com/ARM-software/arm-trusted-firmware

That's because the X86 architecture is considered too old and not very well made..
lists.phcomp.co.uk/pipermail/arm-netbook/2017-March/013115.html

This
Also watch this:
youtube.com/watch?v=yRxDvkKBMTc

And the work of Joanna Rutkowska
blog.invisiblethings.org/papers/2015/x86_harmful.pdf

Buzzword
If someones use the word open source either they use it for marketing purpose either they really want something opensource thus probably witch a permissive license or not completely free of binary blobs (see olimex for example) or they are just ignorant and don't know the difference between libre and opensource.
gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.en.html

You mean the Eoma68 team
lists.phcomp.co.uk/pipermail/arm-netbook/2016-November/012350.html

Francis is desperate.
Everyone has dropped him since his shameful fiasco.
Everyone who was making libreboot happening jumped in the librecore band wagon.
He even tried to lie (again) to the coreboot team
coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2017-February/083287.html
coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2017-February/083306.html
coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2017-February/083307.html
coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2017-February/083316.html
coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2017-February/083311.html
coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2017-February/083312.html
coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2017-February/083314.html
coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2017-February/083363.html

>youtube.com/watch?v=yRxDvkKBMT
panic.jpg

Top fucking kek
Tranny on suicide watch

Welp, there goes ARM.
Any opinion on SPARC?

Dig more you just have to love this compagny

Not everything is to throw out the window tho
see
lists.phcomp.co.uk/pipermail/arm-netbook/2016-November/012364.html
rhombus-tech.net/rock_chips/rk3288/news/First_Revision_EOMA68_RK3288_PCB_design_19nov2016/

it works great with java
And the other problem now is ORACLE

Forgot this
blackmailing the company that funded him? that kind of completely
inappropriate and completely unethical behaviour doesn't end well.

I've heard some nasty stuff about Oracle selectively releasing firmware updates only to "subscribers"
The question is, are Oracle firmware updates really something that you should install? IIRC, OpenSPARC/UltraSPARC T1 came with OpenBoot. How could Oracle possibly improve on that?

Also, OpenBSD runs great on SPARC, from what I gather.
how the fuck do I edit posts

I know of libv's woes. I wish he'd just release what he has at this point, and maybe let others pick it up. I know shit sux, but he'll have to get over his ego because the situation now is not getting anywhere and has not in years.

Anons I'm fine with all the larping and arguing but can you actually list where to buy an open source CPU that can be used in an actual computer?

Stay far away from Oracle m8
You don't want to deal with them.

I know of libv's woes. I wish he'd just release what he has at this point, and maybe let others pick it up
He has given it to the arch/parabola team a while ago.
The eoma68 could use 2d acceleration correctly and read h.264 codec and more.

You can't user.
This isn't facebook.

It depends on what you want. RISC-V, as itt has shown, is beginning to be built by hipster devs. Nowhere is it at the stage of actual system integration.
lowRISC is, at this juncture, noRISC. They haven't done shit besides shore up sympathy at this point.
There's OpenPOWER/POWER, but it's prohibitively expensive.
That leaves OpenSPARC, or more precisely UltraSPARC T1 and T2, which was integrated into servers in the mid-2000's. From what I've heard, T2 is fucky (sketchy crypto accelerator that might or might not be able to be disabled). That leaves T1. Note that SPARC is an extremely autistic and somewhat outdated system to set up. Nonetheless, if you feel like getting one, look at the list here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UltraSPARC_T1#Systems and try to find one of these on eBay. Preferably within driving distance so you could pay with cash (shipping is expensive, these things weigh a ton). My personal reccomendation is the T2000, the T1000 honestly has NO PORTS - and only one PCIe slot. Meaning, you have to choose between a video card and USB ports.
That's as much as I know from my digging. Hopefully anons will correct me. Godspeed.

I'm on Arch right now. Do you mean the armsoc-veyron-rockchip shit? Otherwise I don't know what you mean. There's no free Mali drivers that properly implement libGL on any level within any Linux at this point. It's all glorified software rendering, or getting reamed by proprietary software. Mind you, some software rendering is faster than others but its still not great.

If I remember correctly, cuckchan had post editing before the first exodus. I could be mistaken.

If I get involved in the SPARC shit, I'm hoping to never interact with them on any level.
Hopefully I can just set up a /comfy/ nearly-default install OpenBSD box and use it to shitpost/read esoteric books.

Permissive licensed software can run on ORACLE slaver/overlord hardware.
Surprising isn't it ?

I mean this
crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop/updates/first-update

Also regularly code audited and far more secure than the multi-million-line Linux kernel.
Besides, Theo is autistic about not working with companies that don't cut them some slack in regards to free software, see: nVidia.
It was made by Sun, entirely open sourced by them, then Sun went bankrupt, Oracle bought them and shut it down.

But you already know this.

Network your system with every different core and let the botnets argue it out.

I know
Theo has a east good standart when it comes to code.
To bad that it's only that part.

^^
But it doesn't change the fact that they own it now.

Looks like it's for Allwinner/Raspberry Pi only. That's a shame.
Apparently disabling Arch's implementation for my card and letting solely software acceleration do the job actually increases framerates. Huh.
Source: https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ4_C9f_D08

How do they "own" it? The documentation is publicly available. Oracle pulled the plug on Fire development long ago (hell, it might've actually been Sun themselves, shit's old)
Yes, the new SPARC is Oracle-run, but it's also not open sourced.
Also, if you accept an Oracle update to a beautiful, pristine, open sourced Sun machine, you're probably an idiot. Not that they'll let you without paying them "subscriber"(TM) shekels anyway
It's the only reason to use it over Linux tbqh
Everything else is shittier. But man, those code audits and autistic security features are delicious.

whats going on with olimex?

Olimex does some nice cards but the problem is that they label it has fully opensource when they still requires blobs.
For example with the Lime2 you have mandatory blobs for GPU and NAND.
And the creator is a bitch when it comes to be sincere.
Otherwise he has some skills but no ethics.

From what I heard the AMD FX series is one of the most "recent" CPU lines that does not have PSP. I'm currently looking at the FX-8350 and calculated system upgrade costs. It turned out to cost almost as much as my current i7 6700K build. My question is, is that worth it just to try to avoid hardware level backdoors? If there are more powerful desktop CPUs without ME/PSP/TrustZone then what are they?

This thread is full of lunatics. Just ask yourself: how is open source/hardware/anything doing anything for your privacy? The argument that you can't study a binary is a very shallow one, given that in our current situation nobody can study open sourced stuff either, at least no to the point were security threads can me ruled out. Neither one of you does. You're always relying on "the smart but good guys" who claim they studied it and found it safe.

Let's face it: Google is one of the main contributors to the linux kernel. Without the push of the US military and secret services things like BSD would remain all proprietary to this day. It's those big companies that control the code and who controls the code will always be able to sneak in backdoors, disguised as bugs or features into programs. Intel could just as well release all their blueprints and you would be no bit more secure. You're up against an army of eggheads that are shaping our everyday technology, open or not, as you read this.

The enemy you make is not proprietary hardware or software but complexity/nature itself. If you really want to be secure, get some old, open 100MHz-tier cpu, install an operating system that contains as little information (=bytes) as possible, study it all and fix all the possible overflow/sercurity problems. But nobody will do that because even doing this on that relatively simple machine is a ridiculous amount of work, that gives you no practical advantage in the long run.

So what solution do you propose?

He proposes nothing, he's just a CIA shill who tries to discourage anyone gullible or lazy enough to give up.

If their is nobody to study it how can it be created ?

Like any developer, at least it can be found if audited and also corrected.

Yes..., and ?
If it's only the blueprints of course that doesn't change anything.
We need to be able to have access to everything.

We have weaponized autism

He's it his (but not only)

Like literally everything that made in modern day.

Learning is useless, please bendover our new overlords

Thank you CIA I understand your commitment to fucking up people.
I understand that you are afraid of thousands of autistic internet hackers.
But please don't come and sperg defeatist propaganda it can be easily countered.

Have a good day.
I hope that you will cease your bad activities.
Love
user

It's not that fatalistic. the fact GNU patches are released so quickly is testimony to the "many eyes." There are, in fact, many people who may even contribute occasionally to a project demonstrates the value of this approach. The greater point in all this is, we've become so dependant upon these technologies no one wants to give them up, they'd rather accept the rules of the corporations who, in this case, essentially become unelected lawmakers, lords of their property. We need to realize you can't trust any king, but we don't want them to know we know...

OK, so if you realize that this is all not only about how to process instructions but how people do all kinds of social interactions nowadays, it's only natural that institutions try to gain control of this "space".

This leaves you with only 2 basics options:
1. don't use the internet and therefore withdraw from society to a great extent for the sake of your private information
2. use the internet but be aware that the information you exchange can be intercepted by third parties

If you opt for 2:
The amount of info third parties receive from you depends on the effort this party makes. If you assume that there is a party with virtually unlimited ressources (like a government or a global player) then it's impossible to rule out spilling some of your data. But there are also parties that only invest limited ressources (facebook tracking pixel, google analytics, cloudflare, ...) in receiving information about you.

You can interact socially with your computer just like anyone else but limit your data-spills greatly by disable javascript while browsing, manage cookies, spoofing your referer, use encryption wherever possible, spoofing your ip-ad, don't use one acount for everything, ...

Just accept it for what it is and don't buy into that free software-brainwash that feeds on your fears. Stallman is just a fat jew who lives a decent life on your scares. The FSF's #1 sponsor is Google. Just ask yourself: why does Google, your sworn privacy-enemy, participate on all fronts of the open-source world? Isn't this contradicting to the "ethical computing"-mentality? The goal of the open sourced linux-kernel and the open-sourced BSD kernel is to grow a generation of tinkerers that advance computing quickly, not to empower you in any way. This was never the point and never will be.

There are no unemployed or retired mask engineers who might enjoy picking apart open chip designs? Again, the important point is open. Not saying at all MS should not be able to hold their technology, intel, etc. Only that the systems we used be as open as possible. The law will make sure no one steals from another. Meanwhile, college students get to write papers about layout decompilation and advanced reverse engineering. Hobbyist chip designers learn new techniques. In an open environment, intel might benefit one day from his contribution. It's an ecosystem of create competition.

Those "lawmakers" became elected by the dollars people spent for their products because people want to participate and have technological advantages. Beginning programmers often are out-of-touch to grasp how much money, hours and pain it costs to have a somewhat stable, sufficiently powerful and universally usable system today.

Just look at what's actually doable: the software "coreboot" which is the only form of free bios for established systems we have today, is funded by CME, a multi-billion-dollar-company and lately sponsored by Google too AND in this case the motivation was to implement a bios where multiple PCs can excetute network instructions at boot-time. Right now it supports few machines that are at least 10 years old!

BUT: then a "transgender" guy "Leah Rowe came around, called it libreboot and gave that project that obligatory ethic-spin and now everyone perceives this whole project as the effort of a few basement-autists with moral ambitions.

Do you grasp the scope we're talking here? It usually takes beginning programmers about 10 years of actual experience in the job market to realize what a gigantic, massive mountain of ridiculously complex work computing is that people won't start digging on if it wasn't their job. Just as communistic countries end up in shitholes like Cuba, this whole fsf-clusterfuck ends up in everyone using PCs like they do in North Korea.

Now how about this:
If you want to make a difference, stop blaming dominating tech-institutions for everything evil in computing and start making people aware of the threats of that technology itself. If people start understanding what they're actually dealing with here, what contract they actually agree with, the information-river and therefore monetal interests will decrease and things will turn well by themselves. There's no need in fingerpointing at specific companies or condemn people for not releasing their sources along with their binary. In fact those things will always hurt your credibility.

Do you think really think you're important enough that the fucking CIA would "shill" on a chinese cartoon-sharing website full of retards who believe the companies behind their CPU care about the shitposts they make? And why exactly does the CIA give a shit? Do you believe the government is out to get you? How do you reconcile this belief with the fact that those dirty kikes regularly contribute to FOSS? Do you always call people that disagree with you shills? Do you happen to browse Holla Forums? You should go back to that board and leave Holla Forums alone. This place was better when you fucking retards weren't here.

I pay my AWS bill every month. You're an idiot not to take advantage of social media to earn income. But I don't want AWS (or anyone else) invading my house, my computer, my thoughts. It's an exchange where we need to be more AWARE and can make better informed choices. Use proxies to hide iframes and rewrite intrusive javascript. Use a 65 dollar computer that is reasonably more secure than that $3000 megacore i777. The point is, there are alternatives to be explored and they don't even suck. In fact, they're way more fun for hobbyists than megamind Master Cores.

Google supports the FSF because Google could not exist running a Billion copies of Windows server 20013. Google is #GNU turned against us. So far as money, if anyone knows how to get me some of that send it here. I don't care about your agenda, I care about mine.

Only those who post inane arguments and tries to make them sound good.

Now I can see that the controlled CIA board that his Holla Forums has arrived and has begun to spread constant nonsense.
Very nice
Like always Holla Forums you are impressively the most perseveres anons so that your ""ideas"" are the one and only truth that I know
Please give a hand and go back to your board.
it would save me some time to respond to your inane posts, so that gullible people don't get baited away.

Hello redditor. Allow me to remind you that "saging" isn't downvoting. The concept of upvoting and downvoting doesn't exist at Holla Forums unlike reddit.

Because it's free/libre software that creates the fear, not the people who are putting backdoors in software and hardware. (sarcasm)

Really user you haven't better ?
Inane comment
Because everyone constantly donates to the FSF.
It's not like any other entities are making a life on your addiction to gaming.

False it's IBM

Google does go against free software.
They released android without any GNU software in it because that would have mean that the users could have removed some DRMs.
Google prefers to use software under non-copyleft licensing because they know they can't block people with it.

Like I already said you know nothing.
Not only fag
And when they say sponsored that doesn't mean giving money, it's giving manuals for example there's even intel employees that comes from time to time because they know jack shit about their product.

Bullshit.
Before Francis (real name of leah rowe) came their was already a working team.
Team that abandoned Francis after his mental breakdown.
Francis still and mostly did the libreboot website, documentation and other minor things.

Implying that there isn't any more modern hardware on the way.

What is the free software and hardware movement.

If people could at least know what a web browser and a search engine was.

For once I agree

It can be a good example to do it sometimes.

It all depends on how you say it user.

Implying I don't want to let this shit thread die.

The concept of wanting to let a thread die exist.
Thank you for your great minute paranoia.

They were created with multiple purposes, one of them being backdoors in every computer

Exactly this. One thing I learnt from Holla Forums all the way back in 2014: stay level headed and take most things with a grain of salt.

I use the Intel Core 2 Quad. Stallman said its OK.

Except they take the information. There is no opt-in for data tracking, just use bullshit EULAs (for instance, going inside a webpage that uses Google Analytics somehow means that you're using Google services and therefore they can track you, even though there is no way to know if the page is using it and the purpose of Analytics is not a service to the user).

It's bullshit.

But he doesn't have a lot of money. Maybe you should work more on your argumets and less on your buzzwords.

But that is the point of the FSF you fucking retard. Those are two different communities with different goals: one wants people to only use software that they can study, modify and share; the other one wants to share the source code of certain programs.

Because Jewgle likes to piggyback off the work of honest devs and throw all the goodies into their system before locking it down
See: ChromeOS

do Richland apus have this?

AMD FX cpus are the last known and confirmed cpus that come without PSP botnet. I also read that there are Chinese cpus operating at 1GHz. They might develop better ones because they must have interest in CIA-proof hardware but I would expect them to just insert their own spyware into it.

Same with the russkies. Fuck this gay earth.

Is the most powerful libre CPU available the FX-8370? Not buying the FX-9590; I don't want housefires.

So is ARM okay? I'd love to get an Arm-Machine and start porting software.

According to libreboot documentation for supported motherboards, it seems that Opteron 4200/6200 series is the best we can get.
libreboot.org/docs/hcl/#supported_desktops_x86amdintel
Then again, I haven't honestly looked at other chipsets at for that socket so I may be wrong. Hopefully someone corrects me.

ARM has TrustZone. I haven't gotten any concrete answers on how malicious it is exactly, but it doesn't look good.

yes, the 83xx series are the power version of the FX line. I think the 8320 is the basic version, the 8350 the overclocked version and the 8370 the overclock+ version. The 9xx0 series seem to be the extreme versions for people with liquid nitrogen cooling systems or something. Most people buy the 8350 so I think it would be enough for you as well. I do not know what the difference is between the models besides the clock speeds.

Keep in mind that those produce shitloads of heat as well and that you will likely need one of those dual tower cpu coolers for operating those at overclocked speed.

also forgot to add:
maybe the 6300 would be an option as well as it can be easily overclocked and the additional cores of the 83xx will only help you with video rendering / editing.

I have no experience with the 83xx series, but wouldn't the extra cores provide a boost when compiling software?

shit was meant for

What about making a router from safe tech as a home firewall? Find a low power PIII type motherboard and...

we need open hardware. it seems to be in the works. we should have decent open shit in the next 10 years i think.

i wonder about the intel backdoors. there are some processors that don't include vPro and all that remote shit. whether those capabilities physically exist on those chips and can be activated, i don't know.

i have heard that the remote shit will only work with the default hardware. if you use a different ethernet or wifi card you can stop the remote shit.

i don't fully know what to make of this stuff. when it comes to nefarious uses of these features we should ask ourselves who the attacker is. what does one get from gaining remote access to these management features?

exploits that target this ME stuff might be overly difficult when compared to traditional methods of intrusion. and a traditional method of intrusion will likely give an attacker access to anything that these ME exploits would. why would an attacker choose to hack the hardware when the software route is easier and provides the same function?

why was nothing mentioned of this in the snowden leaks? maybe this was simply outside of his area of work.

i also wonder about how ME/vPro interact with non-default OS's. yes, it is supposed to provide hardware level access to all devices (ram, disks, etc), but what if it was designed to only work with windows? non-windows OS's will be storing ram and disk data in a way that differs from windows (i'm guessing). the people who design these things are absolute imbeciles sometimes, and i wouldn't put that past them.

I read that as well. One user wrote that if you buy a PCIe ethernet card then the botnet cannot phone home and you crippled its most toxic functions remote controlling your machine. However, if it has root access to your northbridge it is still a risk because you have no idea what it does and you cannot turn it off.

There are already crowdsourced mainboards in production and I am looking forward to open cpus as well. I think there are good chances that it will happen.

Only laptop APUs and maybe Ryzen have the PSP shit.

Snowden worked for the NSA, he wasn't actively working for the CIA.

Oy vey, those Brazillians are acquiring WeaponsOfMassDestruction™! We'd better bomb them now, goyim!

Apparently they do care. I assume because user boards are harder to moderate and degrade. We aren't like reddit where you can infiltrate the moderation and then control the group with downvotes and censorship, we'll just leave.

Maybe if they were a little more transparent I could answer that question.

Well they demand my tax dollars to pay for a private loan I had no say in, they demand I give them rental payments for a house I supposedly own in full and they will throw me in jail if I question basic historical events or spew "hate speech" so yeah call me crazy but I think they fucking are.

He literally pic'd richard stallman known communist freetard. You actually cried "Holla Forums" too early you fucking moron.

There's really no point in doing that. It's not like any of us has a fab capable of compiling that into silicon, and there is no way to check whether commercially fabbed chips actually adhere to the design without botnet modifications.

There's also IBM's OpenPOWER. Closed hardware design, but completely open firmware, down to the CPU microcode level.

Bear in mind that this shit has utterly *horrible* single-threaded performance. It was fine in its time for a server where MT throughput is what's important, but you really don't want a workstation based on one.

It's basically dead outside of the big iron segment.