I always see memes saying Cartoon Network "died" in 2004, and my question is "Why though?". CN City began in 2004...

I always see memes saying Cartoon Network "died" in 2004, and my question is "Why though?". CN City began in 2004, and that's widely considered to be their greatest era, with amazing shows like Code lyoko, Hi Hi Puffy amiyumi, Camp Lazlo, and Ozzy & Drix. So how could CN die in the year where they began their best era EVER?

If anything, I'd peg CN as dying in 2007. After the Boston Bomb Mooninite Scare incident in February of that year, Stu "Jew" Snyder took over as president. CN City ended, the beloved Fridays block was replaced with the poor Fried Dynamite, Toonami was cancelled, the CN Real block was established, Out of Jimmy's Head, Totally drama island, and Johnny test premiered, etc.

So please stop saying "RIP Cartoon network 1992-2004". Really, it's "RIP Cartoon Network 1992-2007"

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=r_1G0iWgGis
youtube.com/watch?v=KsBgHPsD2LY
youtube.com/watch?v=PSJtYR6XRo4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Code Lyoko and Ozzy & Drix was okay but it wasn't enough. The old guard of Cartoon Cartoon Fridays was getting cancelled, on its way out, and even its older stuff was disappearing. 2004 was a decline. 2007 was the deathknell like all other things from other mediums and industries.

Stated perfectly

2004 was the year CN heavily rebranded itself as Nickelodeon lite, rather than the Hanna-Barbera and Looney Tunes network

Shows like Code Lyoko and Hi Hi Puffy were just the start to a weeb era. Camp Lazlo was alright but it was just a watered down Rocko.

The weeb era already began in the late 90s with Sailor moon, Dragon Ball Z, Gundam, Pokemon, and others

This. Toonami was the anime block for Cartoon Network, and when that got success and Teen Titans was allowed to stand on primetime, further weebification was inevitable.

I'd say the weebification began in the late 90s, then lasted until around 2007 or so.

07 was when the anime bubble burst, when the Internet had made it easier to download uncut anime, when Toonami lost popularity because of the shitty new version of TOM, etc.

I'm legitimately curious as to why anyone remembers Puffy Ami Yumi with any fondness. The animation was ass. The plots were far dumber and less clever than average cartoons. The only thing it had going for it was the weeb factor, but they weren't exactly animu girls.

That design had to be internal sabotage.

Fucking really? For me that was the decline of CN. They canceled Samurai Jack in 2004, fuck 'em. Pretty much any show from 1992 up to straddling the millennium was good.

It's strange waifu bait. Grey DeLisle and Janice Kawaye make cute voices.

Op you mentioned Amiyumi, and fucking Lazlo, in an attempt to defend 2004 era CN but no mention of Megas Xlr. Why must you be so utterly disagreeable?

I guess I can kind of understand how a cute voice can make all the difference, but when it's delivering shit material and stupid lines, the appeal is lost.

At the very least Ed, Edd,n'Eddy, K.N.D., and Billy and Mandy were all still alive and well. Saddens me that Dexter and Johnny Bravo began to end around that time. Kickass that when Justice League ended, they came back with Unlimited. DCAU is still my favorite Canon of almost anything.

But their last seasons were terrible.

I think it was a good thing they ended, because the writers had ran out of ideas. If they dragged them on, they would've become zombies like Spongebob, Family Guy, or the Simpsons.

Ozzy & Drix was a pretty decent show. In some ways, it improved on the movie (Maria was a better "stronk female character" than Leah, who was quite simply flat as cardboard)

Don't get me wrong, as long as they have 3 decent seasons I'm glad when shows end before they get stale. What I mean is it saddens me that things like Johnny Bravo and Dexter came to and end and more things like My Gym Partner is a Monkey and Camp Lazlo is what took their place. Which is still nowhere near that state of Decay CN Is in now.

bump

Enjoy
youtube.com/watch?v=r_1G0iWgGis
youtube.com/watch?v=KsBgHPsD2LY
youtube.com/watch?v=PSJtYR6XRo4