What does Holla Forums think of Alain Badiou and all his platonisms?

What does Holla Forums think of Alain Badiou and all his platonisms?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IE97dwA8wrU
press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/007863.html
versobooks.com/blogs/2033-alain-badiou-mao-thinks-in-an-almost-infinite-way
youtube.com/watch?v=fQ8XadTKa1c
youtube.com/watch?v=74u2_Fg-UHo
marxists.org/archive/bensaid/2004/xx/badiou.htm
materialisttheology.blogspot.fr/2012/10/walter-benjamin-seminar-at-jan-van-eyck.html
youtube.com/watch?v=CvI-jv8bTQ0
mariborchan.si/text/articles/alain-badiou/fifteen-theses-on-contemporary-art/
protevi.com/john/Badiou/
goodreads.com/book/show/16475107-anti-badiou
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I love him, but only in a platonic way.

Srs tho, I've yet to read him but I think he might be onto something when he describes truth as a process but one that is still invariable. Is their any shorter introductory reading upon this part of this theory?

Also, is he the most grandpa looking philosopher alive today? I can definitely imagine him at a café with his grand-kids drinking hot cocoa.

youtube.com/watch?v=IE97dwA8wrU

Just skip the two intros.

Aw shit, spent do much time trying to find the image that I forgot to post: thx.

kek

He and Jacques Rancière have the worst accents I've ever heard.

Badiou is from the south, that's why.

You have videos of the Ranciere? Share plz.

Also, any good intro on him as well?

Rancière is one of the worst I've ever read. I tried to read Proletarian Nights and found it both incomprehensible and boring.

Another reason why Althusser was the worst thing to happen to Marxism, as he inspired such horrid theorists as:

And of course:

And don't give me any crap about Foucault being a "gateway drug" because the only people who actually read him turn to the Right.

This.

As someone who's read nothing but Marx, who do you suggest I read?

Considering how he/she/it devotes extra space for shitting on Foucault there is only one real answer.

Did someone say POSTMODERNISM?

shoo shoo lolbert witch

u wot?

There's a reason why Foucault supported the Islamic takeover of Iran in 79.

Did you even finish the rest of this essay:
press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/007863.html

Foucault is at most ambivalent about it, which is why he poses these questions:

Yes, because questioning Marxist dogmas makes anyone's thought apparently worthless.

I fucking love it when anti-pomos does this, and this is not even mentioning the fact that post-structuralists love to engage with medieval theologians like Duns Scotus.

The point is, Foucault DID come out in support of reactionary governments later in his life.

He also voiced support for neoliberalism towards the end.

But that's a mischarictarization of everything he wrote.

Foucault's analysis of neoliberalism is not an endorsement of liberalism, but rather a way "to expand his analyses of mechanisms of power to the whole society" and a way to emphasize the peculiar notion of freedom functioning at the heart of neoliberal governmental practices. First, a neoliberal political innovation consists in setting up "the economic rule of the law." Second, Foucault argues that neoliberalism is one sort of general framework of biopolitics. Foucault finds in the writings of the Cynics the idea that "truth is revealed or manifest in the material body of life" therefore Foucault discovers in the Cynics an ideal of a philosophical life that could inspire potential forms of political resistance against a neoliberal governmentality, ie "where there is power, there is revolt."

tl;dr It's time for you to stop posting. You've OD'd too hard on Holla Forums's idpol boogeyman.

Moving the convo back to Badiou:

1. Has anyone on this board read Being and Event?

2. Is his whole "idea of communism" stuff legit or just platonist grabble-jabble?

3. Is anyone convinced by the hypothesis that he's really a closeted Christian?

You've been contaminated with the pomo bug - you regard all intellectual history as a bunch of competing readings of various texts. "Sex without the pleasure" as Paglia said.

And who the fuck cares about Duns Scotus? Never heard of him. That's another pomo trick: referencing nobodies they plucked out of a book, and other contemporary nobodies, as if they were all crucial personalities in the history of thought. Nah, it's just that it's ridiculous, given their notoriety, to try to argue e.g. that Hobbes wasn't apologizing for government, and Locke wasn't arguing for personal liberty. Pomos stick to the weeds where the idea that readers create meaning has some plausibility.

is that quote real?

Ok fam. You take it easy with those memes and quotes on fb now, don't want to risk over-exerting your mental capabilities.

Rather than Post-modernists (or rather, post-structuralists) sticking to weeds it think you should stop sticking to strawmen.

not a strawman, read it again

Yes.

I have a hard time seeing Paglia as anything but a reactionary. I think postmodernism is just the 'Emperor's New Clothes" of philosophy, and reject it as anti-materialist nonsense, but Paglia just seems to have a raging hate-boner for this shit. Her arguments against it seem to be a bunch of spooky "muh canon" "muh western civilization" shit. I've never heard of her railing against even more damaging trends in academia, like neoliberal dominance in the study of economics.

I just don't see anything to like about Paglia, although I'll admit I don't know much about her. When she identifies as a 'libertarian' does she mean libertarian in the original sense of the word, or is she referring to modern American lolbert shit?

She tends to vote Democrat or Green. She's just a boring liberal.

This reads like something from Gamergate, or worse, Holla Forums.

Honestly, I doubt your average Holla Forumsak would give a shit about postmodernism, Paul de Man, or the whole École de Yale milieu, much less have the knowledge to connect all that academic BS to modern idpol.

Holla Forums thinks Paglia is an SJW for crying out loud.

Althusser wasn't questioning Marxist dogmas; he was reviving Marxist dogmas that French humanists were moving away from.

Face it: Althusser was to Marxism what Osama bin Laden was to Islam.

Merci mon ami.

Could have fooled me. Really seems like the same sort of obsession with cultural-marxism/relativism, especially with the overlapping buzzwords.

Camille "Putting a Spike Heel in the Lacanian Real" Paglia
Camille "The Gal who Blew up the École Normale" Paglia
Camille "One-Woman Morphine Pill" Paglia
Camille "Not a Shabbos Goy for the Frankfurt Boys" Paglia
Camille "Going Mental on the Continental" Paglia
Camille "Going Psychotic on the Semiotic" Paglia
Camille "50 Shades of Postmodernist AIDS" Paglia
Camille "Michel & bell Straight to Hell" Paglia
Camille "Mass Destruction for Deconstruction" Paglia
Camille "Pushed Michel onto a Car he Fell" Paglia
Camille "Tossin' a Dart at Barthes" Paglia
Camille "Strangle Every Structuralist" Paglia
Camille "Baudrillard Feathered and Tarred" Paglia
Camille "Rhizome Raider" Paglia
Camille "Gruesome Ghoul of Ecole" Paglia
Camille "Panic at the Discourse" Paglia
Camille "Cutler of Butler" Paglia
Camille "Word Salad Tosser" Paglia
Camille "Bustin' a Shell in bell" Paglia
Camille "Willing to Discipline and Punish" Paglia
Camille "Biology Degrees Bring Gender Studies to their Knees" Paglia
Camille "Cutting Open Michel's Trojan" Paglia
Camille "Exposing Gloria's Phantasmagoria" Paglia
Camille "Raping Gloria with Intense Euphoria" Paglia
Camille "Porkin' the Dworkin" Paglia
Camille "Deport Levi-Strauss to Laos" Paglia
Camille "Just Say Nein to Da Sein" Paglia

Any thoughts on Badiou's thesis in this text in particular?

It's time to stop posting.

There's nothing wrong with the idea that racial and gender differences are mostly socially constructed. The problem is that postmodernists never apply their deconstruction to their own beliefs, leading them to the same essentialist conclusions they set out to deride.

You don't have to be a social justice lunatic to think it's a little asinine to treat people differently because they look different.

Second International was the worst thing that ever happened to Marxism. Their revisionism is in root of

Actually, most of these motherfuckers were against SI determinism/teleology.

I have a 56GB collection of Ranciere audio and video recordings which included some hard to find lecture recordings, want me to upload it? Though some of these are in French.

Looks like some Lacanian bullshit. Am I wrong?

Man that's a shit-ton, just make a youtube channel or something. Sharing is caring.

Otherwise, I'd love it if you uploaded one or two of your faves that you think is a good intro.

Be aware tho, I can't use torrents atm.

Yis
Upload french & english separately, plox
mega.nz

versobooks.com/blogs/2033-alain-badiou-mao-thinks-in-an-almost-infinite-way

Shit.

Part 2:
youtube.com/watch?v=fQ8XadTKa1c

Also, am I the only one who thinks Badiou's Event is tacitly theological?

Wonderful, this shit is impossible to comprehend.

You are not supposed to understand it, just memorize some passages and recite them when you want to feel literate.

youtube.com/watch?v=74u2_Fg-UHo

I had the same thought when I first encountered Marxist jargon.

Guess that totally debunks Marxism as such, lol! xD Lel omg

yeah, coz das what people do kek lol omg xd haha like my post plz subscribe

Badiou isn't even much of a Marxist though. He's basically Platonist with some crypto-christfaggotry.

Okay, this legitimately made me giggle.

Sooo… beneficent liberal reformism is the answer… great.

He's the only remotely original Leftist.

Here:

marxists.org/archive/bensaid/2004/xx/badiou.htm

Bumping this thread. Let's talk philosophy for realz.

posting that to r/badphilosophy got me banned

analytics fags got really asshurt over it

I mean, the quote is obviously fake, but really? Plebbit is cancer.

posted the whole collection, probably this user has the full set:

RE: theology - he says the Event ushers in a new logic, meaning it goes beyond the logic we know of today, and revolutionizes every aspect of society along with it. This sounds really close to how Walter Benjamin (a Jewish mystic/messianic) implies that the messianic era holds no continuity between it and the existing time. It's also the case that in his Task of the Translator text, Benjamin holds this idea that at the end there will be a "messianic language", i.e. a restoration of the lost language of G_d.
materialisttheology.blogspot.fr/2012/10/walter-benjamin-seminar-at-jan-van-eyck.html

He's incomprehensible.

youtube.com/watch?v=CvI-jv8bTQ0

mariborchan.si/text/articles/alain-badiou/fifteen-theses-on-contemporary-art/

Advanced biochemistry is incomprehensible to most of us too, that doesn't devalue it.

Lee Kaplan

the thing with leftypol is that they hate SJWs so much that they're ready to worship capitalist scum that have criticized SJWs
Paglia is not a friend of the working class, she's a reactionary jumping on the SJW hate bandwagon there's no reason for any of us to worship her

I picked up Philosophy for Militants on a whim because I liked the title and the cover, but it was absolute shit.

He mostly keeps himself as a philosopher nowadays, and mostly is known as such.

It was his work around of Hegel's concepts?

Here's a link for some lecture outlines of Badiou by John Protevi:
protevi.com/john/Badiou/
Almost all of them are philosophy, I don't see why it's related to this board.

Badiou always has a knack for turning rebellious youths into his evil minions, storming lectures, boycotting, and shit. He's like the Enemy Boss in JRPGs. He wrote an essay about the '68 French/Parisian philosophers movement (I think it's on Lacan.com), citing himself as the French philosopher, sitting on top of the mountain, above and surpassing all the 68s generations. This old man, really.

At least that's what I got out of it. Might have to leaf through it again to refresh my memory. Kinda pissed me off.

retarded

I'd like to attend one of his lectures in Paris though.

goodreads.com/book/show/16475107-anti-badiou

Keep this thread alive.