Before anyone tells me to fuck off to Holla Forums...

Before anyone tells me to fuck off to Holla Forums, this thread is less about playing free/libre games and more about discussing the tools/engines which can be used to create them and, more importantly, methods of supporting the development of freedom respecting video games.

Other urls found in this thread:

godotengine.org/
steamcommunity.com/app/435100/discussions/0/135511259334489582/?ctp=3
hexoshi.nongnu.org/
libgosu.org/
love2d.org/
kesiev.com/akihabara/
github.com/ericoporto/fgmk
github.com/Gigoteur/PX8/
secretareaofvipquality.org/games/
wiki.mozilla.org/Media/EME
gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.en.html
freedoom.github.io/
lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-user/2011-10/threads.html#00018
lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-user/2017-03/msg00009.html
savannah.gnu.org/mail/?group=guile
draketo.de/proj/py2guile/
tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=216881
godotengine.org/article/godot-30-new-progress-report-and-gdc
stellarengine.nongnu.org/
galateaproject.wordpress.com/
itch.io
github.com/itchio/itch
github.com/itchio/itch/blob/master/LICENSE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Fuck off to

I swear that board existed

Agdg retard. Stop ruining the thread.

Agdg* is fine for talking about actually working with particular tools, but not really about the subject more broadly. Nevermind methods of funding said projects.

For making games, this is all you need:

godotengine.org/

Good luck trying to get money for free shit.

The way to make money on libre games is to license the code under free licences, but licence the game assets proprietary. People can share the code, but not the assets. This is the approach that RMS suggests for libre games.

I took what RMS said as him saying it was better than having a game with non-free assets AND code, but was still not ideal.

RMS himself has stated that proprietary art isn't bad since it isn't the same as code, in that it's the artist's vision and not an adaptable tool. He himself shares pictures of him and conferences as nonfree (CC-BY-ND, if I recall correctly), because he doesn't want anyone tergiversating his words.

He is a huge supporter of "unauthorised copying" as well, so I guess he just expects people to pirate art anyway.

The only way is ENIGMA
enigma-dev.org

use unity or game maker studio lil nooby

>>>/leftycuck/

>Everyone who doesn't love being cucked by corporations is >>>Holla Forums
I'm sorry, are you lost? I think you were looking for >>>Holla Forums

Nigger, neither one of those respect your freedom.

Suck my black dick faggot

You must be new here...

Games are the one thing where making money off Free software would be a no-brainer. No one plays games for their programming, people play them for their content, and the content does not have to be Free since it's not something that's executed.

Take Doom for example, the game's code is entirely Free, but the game itself is still being sold to this day. There is FreeDoom, which tries to replace all the assets with free ones, but no one cares about that, people want to play the actual Doom instead.

The reason why we are barely seeing any Free games is because they either use proprietary middleware like the Unreal Engine, or because of "muh secret sauce".

Can confirm. I've bought tons of games from GOG just to run the assets in engines like OpenMW and GemRB. It's essentially the same deal.

You can't respect "muh freedumbs" and expect to make a living out of it, especially when you're making a product and not providing a service. Games don't need to be updated, so there's no reason to support a developer after you get their game, which according to four freedoms of communism everyone must be able to share with everyone for free.

It would make sense if you're an established developer crowdfunding games and people can know what to expect, or if you're using donations to fund the continuous development of a game like MMO or something where people can continue to play indefinitely and the game isn't necessarily ever "finished".

Faggot, why are you even posting in this thread? There are free engines like Godot and you can open the code while keeping the assets non-free. The only reason that wouldn't work is if you wanted to be a Jew and use DRM.

I'm talking about game development, not game engines. Engines don't make games, people do.

It's not a libre game if you have to rip out the assets to make it free. That means your code is free, but not the game.

Speaking of...

steamcommunity.com/app/435100/discussions/0/135511259334489582/?ctp=3

If you want libre code AND assets, there's always crowd funding. Hexoshi (GNU/Metroid) has had success doing this.

hexoshi.nongnu.org/

He doesn't apply the same standards to non-functional works (art), but he does think that you should be allowed to non-commercially distribute unmodified copies.

That's all that matters. It's called Free Software, not Free Everything.

You could also just sell the binaries and people would still buy them even if sauce was available because "compiling stuff is hard"

Who the fuck cares about RMS. We each have our own philosophy.

Where do retards like you keep coming from

Which is absolutely horrible, and the team suffers from Vanilla Doom autism in a time when no one gives a shit about Vanilla.

Faggot, I didn't buy the game. Just pointing out how hebrew the indies are getting.

Godot seems to be the best engine for 2d stuff (getting better at 3D, but still a lot of work to do).

Kill yourself newfag

A. If you're the OP it doesn't really matter if you namefag since everybody knows your the OP.

B. Showing how low indie devs will sink is not endorsing Steam

C. Everyone here is some kind of fag or another

So in short: As long as your not opposed to DRM, you can keep your assets non-free and if you DO want to have the assets be free also, you'll have to rely on donations/crowd funding. Godot is engine enough for a one man project too.

as long as your fine with not having DRM*

You can use DRM in libre games to protect your assets. Sure, other people could remove it from the source code, but if you only distribute your assets with a DRM enabled build, there's nothing much that they can do.

Except pirate it. Even Denuvo gets cracked pretty quickly these days.

/agdg/ (currently >>>Holla Forums12118236 ) is probably the right place to ask, since they're either familiar with or fairly knowledgeable about freetard engines.

It's like everyone forgets that people crack proprietary games and share it via torrent.
But the company is selling it and still does shit tons of money.

Has long has the developers has promised (stated inside the contract and unchangeable) to release the assets under copyleft in lets say two years after the release, I don't mind if they made the assets non copyleft.

The people selling games with such system should had a system where people could pay in advance but wait only where the assets are copyleft.
This could be a good experience.

I doubt that.
Source please.

Because RMS was always pertinent about software freedom.
Without his autism we wouldn't be talking about it.

This

That's not actually true
The people who care about this is the modding community see fallout 3/vegas for example or even the first and second fallout who reverse engineering the shit out of the game to correct the code.
This is why I find communities around gaming incredible they do shit that nobody would normally do.
I wouldn't play a game if the assets of the game where to be never released.
Because I know that the modding community would dissolve if the game didn't have success.
And the community that build around a game is almost assured customers for the next game.

Bullshit
Because EA did provide service ?
IF you would have READ the CONTRACTS you would know that every non-free/libre game forces you to accept that the company isn't responsible for any shit and aren't forced to correct anything.
Your so called services are bullshit.
The only reason they provide a little services is for reputation.

This is all just bait ain't it, people can't be this stupid.
It's like everyone forgets that people crack proprietary games and share it via torrent.
But the company is selling it and still does shit tons of money.

CIA NIGGER DETECTED

And can impose DRM by the way thanks to it's permissive license.

Already participating m8 ;)
The problem is with the game (from a developers standpoint)
It's the old game engine that it's using.
Plus if it wasn't enough it's made in python.
Sly would have been a better solution imo.
But I am complaining while someone had the guts to make a game like this.
Best of luck to the maintainer.

Are you retarded ?
This is the same shit has asking to get EME in browsers.

You say that like RMS was the only one who ever talked about software freedom.

The problem with EMEs has nothing to do with DRM. It's the fact that they're nonfree code, and the EME providers can prosecute security researchers who attempt to find flaws with it. If the EME is FOSS (which it would have to be in a GPLv3'd game) then these two arguments fall flat. Your only argument then is that DRM is bad, which I will agree with. My post was a thought experiment about the plausibility of protecting copyrighted assets in a libre game, not any statement on the "benefits" of DRM.

Good thread.

Ruby - libgosu.org/
Lua - love2d.org/
JS - kesiev.com/akihabara/
Does it for you environment - github.com/ericoporto/fgmk
Libre PICO8 - github.com/Gigoteur/PX8/
Example of the last one secretareaofvipquality.org/games/

Like I tried to express he's the one who spread it.
There are more than him I acknowledge that.

Here's the definition by mozilla itself
wiki.mozilla.org/Media/EME

It's not only that.
The things is that EME is also a system that doesn't let you know what's being downloaded in your computer.
What else is there besides the video ?
You can't know since the content is ""secured""
Thus you can't audit, copy, share etc....
Of course you can always circumvent this absurd system via external capturing hardware but that's not the point.

FOSS means "Free and Open source".
gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.en.html
GPLv3 is copyleft or free/libre.
Firefox is under MLPv2 witch is almost a clone of GPLv2.
If firefox was under GPLv3 they couldn't include such restrictions.
EME is a HTML 5 API that can be used either has an security system or a DRM one.
It's useless for security because other tools where already existing for that.
The only reason for EME to be introduced was for restrictions via DRMs and it's pushed by communists like Netflix, Google or Microsoft.

I understand why developers want to have some form of restriction.
It's all because of fear.
The fear of not at least pay off the money that was put into the creation of the game.
And fear makes anyone pretty dumb and unreasonable.

I think the best way of making some sort of "protection" is to make an indirect DRM.
Sell the assets, then people have to copy them in the copyleft script and binary game engine.
You don't have to say all over your website or marketing campaign FREE FREE FREE THIS GAME IS FREE !!!!
Just put Freedom respecting software, No DRM (witch is true since it an indirect one, it's just like buying a book), the assets will be copyleft in a few years so that the community that builds around it thrives and assures you a new wave or customer and free advertisement for the next game (plus all the ideas that you could implement from the community, just like Bethesda did by integrating mods from fallout 3 in fallout 4).
And if you reuses the game engine I can already see a lot of modders that have contributed to it.

Part of the free software world will be happy, the other part will also be happy when the assets are going to be copyleft.
And if you ask me why I insist of why the assets should be copyleft it's because I think people should OWN what they buy.
Besides what are you going to do with the assets after the game is finished ?
Do like "Serious Sam" and wait fifteen years before releasing the thing ? when the community is dead and nothing of any interest can be produced ?
I say that but I participate in Freedoom...

GPLv3 doesn't mean "DRM is forbidden". The "Tivoization clause" of GPLv3 means that distributors are permitted to convey GPLv3 software when the user is also granted the proper technical measures to practice their 4 freedoms. Nothing that's inside Firefox's "implementation" of EME actually restricts users from doing this because it's not even a real implementation but an interface to allow a third party to implement EME. Even if Firefox had its own native implementation of EME, there is no technical restriction that would prevent the users' 4 freedoms.

Pygame is adequate for making a SNES-style Metroid game. But, yeah, it's not the ideal tool these days. I hope the dev gives Godot a look in the future. I mean, the scripting language is basically Python.

It an interface/API but the end point of it his to restrict people.
It's debatable on jurisdictional ground.
But honestly we all know that it's just restrictions for web developing fags and corporations.

Well it's just a bit old and unmaintained.
They had difficulties with other languages/translations because the symbols weren't recognized.

The engine is very advanced indeed.
The only thing that repulses me is the license of this tool.

MIT means you can still make a GPLv3+ game with it.

Who lets faggots like these in?

I dunno, probably the same guy who lets thread derailing niggers like you in.

It makes sense to have a game engine under a permissive license at this point. Personally, I'd have gone with the Apache license.

So what's the story with Pygame? I never looked at it too closely/

You keep the assets (3d models, textures, etc) copyrighted, and make the code GPLed. That's what John Carmack does.

FreeDoom is not a source port or reverse-engineered engine, it's a game based on the Doom Engine that tries to replace all the copyrighted content (levels, graphics, music) with custom ones:
freedoom.github.io/

Basically a new WAD that doesn't depend on the official Doom WAD. But people want to play the official WAD instead.

Is Sly any good? It's written in Guile Scheme, isn't that even slower than Python? I haven't tried it, so I might be just talking out of my ass here.

Sly is great if you know how to code in the functional reactive paradigm. If you don't, you can try using Chickadee by the same author.

There isn't much to tell.
It's maintained since a few years now.
Know bugs aren't fixed, problems with ASCII and more shit.
The Hexoshi dev choose it because...
I don't know.
I am personally feed up with python

Sly is still in development.
In development with a skilled hacker maintainer that hasn't abandoned the project.
That's why I say that the Hexoshi dev should have used it.

It was a problem in 2011.
see this thread
lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-user/2011-10/threads.html#00018
And now
lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-user/2017-03/msg00009.html
And they are still developing it to make it better.
the language is far from dead or slow.
Guile isn't completely finishes and still needs some work.
And working with it and the guile team is the only way to find improvements.
see the mailing lists
savannah.gnu.org/mail/?group=guile

For python my criticize about it is that I think the community suddenly became too big and introduced so much shit at one time that I find it now sluggish and hard with dependencies.
Python reinvented the wheel ten thousand time without having a better solution.
But that just my rant and biased opinion because of the failure of a project so don't take too much of it seriously.

i suggest that you see this nice guide who I stumbled on when in my despair I was looking for anything other than python.
draketo.de/proj/py2guile/

May randomness find a good path to you and
Happy hacking user

This

I assume you mean 'unmaintained'... But the repo seems to have decent amount of activity.

The Hexoshi dev has made games with Pygame before, so I assume that's why it's what Hexoshi is being made with.

That's what John Carmack used to do.

Too many things are always changing in open source world. I would rather make a game for old console or computer. You can probably sell that too, if bundled with emulator.

lol nigga, we been using the same shit for the last 20+ years

Nigga, I'm not even sure you was alive 20 years ago from saying that.

Just pick versions of software that work and keep them for the entire project.

All the games I have from the first Humble Bundle still works in Arch. Sure, some take some adjustment to get running, but backward compatibility isn't NEARLY as bad on Linux as people like to make it out to be.

Still work*

Not worth my time. I can make NES game, and test it on real hardware. Then it'll run everywhere that has NES emulator, like web browser, and even platforms that don't yet exist.

You going to release the source code? If not, your talking in the wrong thread.

oh yes sorry

Good thinking

The other end of the autistic spectrum is already overcrowded with the likes of skulltag and brutal doom.

>lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-user/2011-10/threads.html#00018
>lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-user/2017-03/msg00009.html
>savannah.gnu.org/mail/?group=guile

Cool. I have actually been using Guile recently for a project, but performance was a non-concern, I was only looking for a language that lets me write math in a math-like way instead of using awkward constructs in in languages like Python. Good to know that Guile is indeed useful beyond that, then I can pick up a worthwhile skill along the way

.>i suggest that you see this nice guide who I stumbled on when in my despair I was looking for anything other than python.
>draketo.de/proj/py2guile/
That guide constantly keeps popping up among search results, but I find it awfully convoluted. The use of an alternative syntax instead of s-expressions is also confusing. S-expressions are weird at first, but it really didn't take me long to get accustomed to it and just roll with it.

Sure thing :)

The platform doesn't care. Actually it was pretty common to make games in BASIC in the 80's (pic related). That doesn't mean you could change stuff and release your own modified game, but to some degree there has been open source for quite some time. At least you could inspect it, learn from it, and so on. Just couldn't do anything that violates copyright (no re-publishing). Some publications like People's Computer Comapany and Dr. Dobb's Journal even went all the way, encouraging people to submit PD code (and not just BASIC).
I'm not much into NES scene but I have a lot of homebrew for 8-bit computers and 2DS. Some have source, other's don't. Whoever makes it gets to decide.

i've been banned from the majority of linux gaming IRC channels for advocating free software lol

If you go like a religious zealot instead of talking about the benefice of having control of tools for the modding community of course you're going to be banned.

Did you also talk about wanting to marry "girl children"?

Most Linux 'gamers' still don't realize Gaben used, and has now all but abandoned, them. Not the brightest group of people.

You're assuming modders are forward thinking enough to give one single shit about having open source tools/engines.

tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=216881

Would I be correct in assuming their "current" engine isn't free software?

I don't ever see Square-Enix releasing any source code. Assuming they even still have it.

It's insane how they bend over backwards to cling to a dead unsupported piece of software, then shit on people who want to make something new and better.

They honestly deserve to be gassed or left to their own devices to rot and die.

Yeah... It would be one thing to not see the benefits to having an open source engine to mod with, but to actually attack the people developing these engines for not trying to improve their ancient binaries and modding tools is just too fucking ridiculous. It's more than just short-sighted, it's fucking retarded!

The original Tomb Raider games are classics that deserve to be preserved. Even if the faggots in the modding community are too up their own asses to understand that.

Even when I was a teenage and had no idea what free software is, I knew that hacking around proprietary software and placing patches upon patches was unsustainable. I think the first time I learned what a source port is was when I bought Duke Nukem 3D on GOG and found out about eDuk32. I had no idea something like this was even possible and I was blown away when I saw how much more fun it was with polished up controls and high screen resolutions (fuck the HRP and the 3D models though).

I really enjoy a lot of old games, but they often suffer from their old tech and clunky interfaces. So many fantastic games are essentially lost to younger gamers because there is no one to given the a proper source-port treatment. Just look at all the quality-of-life improvements that OpenXCom has over vanilla XCom.

And what are this morons going to do when their level editor breaks in some future version of Windows? Are they just assuming it will never break?

There's a difference between "advocating free software" and endlessly pestering everyone about it with memes and insults. I don't believe for a second you were cordial about it.

There are people who just cannot think ahead of time. They will laugh at you for being paranoid, even though it should be obvious that everything eventually fails, and software is no exception.

While I generally agree with you in my own loathing for click-to-move horseshit, you're very wrong from another perspective. Before the mid-'90s or so, DOS developers always used to put in their own special snowflake key mappings with no option for customization. Then you had doujin-imitating indie fuckheads bring this lack of cutomization back again in this decade.

Pick related is a game I still enjoy very much to this day. The key mappings are adequate enough that you almost never have to even touch the mouse when you learn them. I was absolutely infuriated when I found out Spiderweb Software had removed Numpad movement in their latest Avadon games.

I cannot think of a single game I have ever played that couldn't be improved in some way, whether it's removing bugs, exploits, simple things to enhance the experience, etc. Libre gaming simple makes sense.

Interface is debatable. One thing I really enjoy about old games is they have good keyboard support (example is pic and older Ultima). Newer games (Ultima 6+, remakes, almost all newer RPGs and strategy) want you to mouse around constantly, and I hate that. Joystick/gamepad is ok compromise, if it fits the game.

While I generally agree with you in my own loathing for click-to-move horseshit, you're very wrong in another way. Before the mid-'90s or so DOS developers always used to put in their own special snowflake key mappings with no option for customization.

That game was a major part of my childhood. I found out that it doesn't run on Windows 7 64bit though and the devs have no desire to port. When I switch to FOSS OS's in the future I'll probably download and play it again.

The reason it doesn't work on 64-bit Windows is because Microsoft ditched their 16-bit compatibility layer. Ironically (and embarrassingly), the game runs great in WINE.

Lets not pretend that Wine hasn't gotten way better the past year or so... And at some point, MS is going to put Win32 into legacy status. It'll be really ironic to see Windows users having to install Wine to run old Win32 applications.

I could have sworn we had some sort of free/libre board for this
or series of boards

Nope. And It's not much different than talking about developing and supporting development of any other kind of application.

Godot seems to be aiming to be the open souce alternative to Unity3D. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

godotengine.org/article/godot-30-new-progress-report-and-gdc

Well in the absolute it's good.
But like you said they aim to be a "open source" alternative and not a free/libre software one.
If sony, microsoft or EA want's to take their engine to make games with it and say "fuck off we ain't sharing the upgrades that we made to the engine" they can.
They can because the license is fucking permissive.
The reasons they say that they made it under MIT is because otherwise the people who are making games can't make it under a non-free license.
Which is utter Bullshit

My guess is they want their engine to be used as much as possible. You already have AAA companies using Unity for some of their projects, and they do pay Unity for it. If Godot can become the new Unity they would get paid as well. There is no way any of the AAA companies would use an engine that requires their games to be libre. I'm not saying that's a good thing, but I can see it as a motivation. I'd still say a proprietary game written for a cuck-licensed engine is better (or less bad) than a proprietary game written for a proprietary engine. There is at least some attack surface for reverse engineering.

And if I wanted to take Godot and make a game, I could put it under the GPLv3+. Lax licenses cut both ways. They're not evil, they just don't protect the community the way copy-left licenses do.

Is there a libre alternative to RPGmaker? You'd think that would be pretty low hanging fruit.

I'm pretty sure there's no way for the engine to require your games to be libre too.

That's kinda like Krita saying graphics made with that program must be free, they can't demand that even if they wanted to.

The GPL would often require this unless you add a special clause. There's a special clause in GNU bison that lifts the copyleft for its output, which has a similar situation.

If the finished, compiled/exported/published/whatever game contains, for example, a custom interpreter for the language your engine uses, then the custom interpreter is covered by the GPL and the exported game counts as a combined work.

Graphics are not software, so the rules of Free Software don't apply. The matter of Freedom is about being in control of your computer's execution, but if nothing is being executed then there is nothing to be in control of.

Free (libre) games are like Doom: the source code is Free, but the assets are not. You can take the source code, write your own engine, load the assets in that engine and be in control of the program. Free Software is about letting users have full control over every aspect of their computing, it was never about free content.

A GPL game engine could force you to make your game Free because the final game you ship to players contains GPL code from the engine. This is for example why you cannot use GPL libraries in Unity, the entire game would have to be Free, but since Unity is proprietary you cannot do that.

It's also why the Blender game engine never went anywhere.

If your game is "linked" to the GPL engine, then the distribution must be GPL compatible. Let's say that your GPL game engine is written in C, it includes GNU Guile, and that your game logic is written in Guile. In this scenario, your game logic isn't compiled then linked to the game engine and so it isn't considered a combined work - you can license your game however you wish but the game engine remains under the GPL. Now let's say that you modify GNU Guile to include some functions that you need for Guile. This is a different matter because your modifications get compiled and linked into the combined work.

I was thinking of a Gamemaker-esque monolithic binary that includes an interpreter and halfway-compiled game code.

I don't know jack about RPGmaker (never even played those games), but there's a number of open-source RPG engines of various types, so you can probably find one that fits the kind of game you want to make. Pic is one where scripting is done in Scheme.

It seems as though the pygame devs are maintaining the project again. They just recently updated their site after nearly a decade.

The Hexoshi dev previously worked on a 2D engine that uses pygame as a backend called the Stellar Engine and its being used in Hexoshi.
stellarengine.nongnu.org/

In that scenario, the code is linked together to form a whole program. When the engine is GPL, the combined work needs to be GPL compatible. People who find a way to avoid linking the code together are not bound to complying with the GPL to the unlinked code. Nvidia actually found a way to do this with their proprietary drivers and the Linux kernel.

How capable is Godot with 3d? I know it's possible, but last I heard it wasn't very good. Has it improved any in the last few months?

It's not that it's bad at 3D perse, it's just not as feature rich as the 2D side of things, yet. Right now it uses OpenGL 2 with extensions from OGL 3&4. The interesting bit is that the Godot devs plan to implement Vulkan rather than put too much more effort into their OpenGL renderer. It's a very forward thinking plan, but it will probably be a while before we see it bear fruit.

Galatea is an example of a 3D game made with the current renderer.

galateaproject.wordpress.com/

the problem with libre videya is that the only people interested in it are programmers, and programmers always want to write their own engines.
They get maybe a working demo but lose interest because at a certain point they've saturated what they can learn from the project.

My desires for FLOSS gaming have already been satisfied as I'm pretty casual and only play maybe SNES, PSX, MS DOS, or early Windows games.

Not directly related to game creation, but itch.io is a distribution platform. Here's their repo, github.com/itchio/itch It's MIT licensed. github.com/itchio/itch/blob/master/LICENSE

It's sort of like Bandcamp, but for games. It would be good to promote this as a distribution channel so that FOSS games actually get some kind of visibility. If the company running the back end gets Jewed out, the MIT license would let us take the software platform and run with it.

Sad, but true. There may be one exception though. A programmer that really wants to tell a story. However programmers aren't the only ones interested in libre. Writers and even some artists are as well, though more so writers. Artists, on the other hand, often have a penchant for being possessive little shits, even the pleb tier ones. Nonetheless there are some exceptions that understand that it's actually in their own interests to let other people promote them for free.

Itch is basically what Desura should have tried to be instead of a third-rate Steam knockoff. Nice they (cuck licensed) their client as free software.

You forgot modders.
The modding community would ejaculate all over itself if they could hack with copyleft game engines.

I wish I wasn't so autistic so I would just use an engine and make game instead of wanting to write everything from scratch.

You'd think that, but like showed us, most modders have no idea why foss modding tools are worth their time.

github.com/ericoporto/fgmk

Since there is very little activity in /agdg/, I'm gonna ask here:

I wanna make a game of course I'll make both the art and program myself so no problem here.

If I plan on making a 3D only game and a 2D only game for many platforms (Linux support is prioritized):

I'm thinking of going for blender,unity,live2D, good old 2D image maps and OOP
Don't know about engines but I do know that C/C++ based are good if the game is fast paced
I'll also try treading in VR game dev
Like wikidpad. also kinda like pic related
Gonna be reading them in my freetime
Can't seem to find a decent music production in linux or even get MIDI working.

I prefer the tools to be free as in freebies meaning NO purchases necessary during development phase (unless I really need to when deploying stable version).

LMMS is probably gonna be fine unless you're a turbo music autist like me and refuse to work in equal temperament. I think I'm just gonna write one for myself because there is no DAW that has everything I need.

But if you just want to throw some MIDI synthesizers/instruments together in equal temperament you'll be fine in LMMS.

Gaben is still committed to SteamOS. However, the nature of Steam as a distribution platform also means that Gaben is not concerned with freedom.

Are you considering forking an existing free software sequencer?

Probably not as what I'd do would be very different and tailored to me, though I'll take a look at LMMS and Scala's source for reference.

I don't want to make a sequencer, I just want to make music and all the sequencers either lack essential features or are bloated as shit. Mine wouldn't be customizable, wouldn't be tested on anything but my own computer, and wouldn't have any feature that I wouldn't use.

My inspiration is a guy who didn't want to be a musician or an engineer but he hated equal tempered music so much that he learned carpentry, music, and physics just to be able to build instruments and play them since that was the only way to escape equal temperament (outside of listening to classical Indian music which is mostly boring).