People just don't care about freedom anymore

How do we turn it all around and where did it all go so wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

mises.org/library/isaiahs-job
wikileaks.org/wiki/Steve_Jobs_purported_HIV_medical_status_results,_2008
age-of-the-sage.org/psychology/social/asch_conformity.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Stallman was sperging out before Jobs knew what masturbation was.

fappening 2.0

sooo glad that fucker died of HIV.

liver cancer, my ass. look at the leaked medical records.

What leaked records?

They dont *really* think its actually ok so much as they tell themselves that it doesn't matter. They see it as pervasive and unavoidable, either because they dont know what they can do or are very lazy about some kinds of things, and so make it a distant abstract thing that exists somewhere else and is easy to rationalize.
Its probably the same way germans rationalize living in a country where the government can raid their apartment for questioning immigration policy on facebook.

Its entirely due to the propaganda campaign teaching them that its somehow impossible to protect themselves online.

Literally it runs off the masses ignorance that they will never win and their cowardace to do anything about it.

Individualism cripples them when they out number the elites a million to one, including the army.

He died of pancreatic cancer, not liver cancer or HIV.

If he had HIV, he'd probably still be alive. The medication regimens are quite effective these days.

sage for offtopic

b-but le macfags amirite? xD

A lot of people use facebook because it's the most used social networking platform, and people don't really care how facebook makes money.

As for those recent leaks of CIA/NSA/FBI spying on you, people don't really care about it because no one thinks that they are POIs. People just see themselves as law-abiding citizens despite the fact that people do break laws with most not even knowing.

Also, those who do know that they are being spied upon by every company and government, the convenience of simply sending a message unencrypted outweighs the need to be secure.

Truly we live in horrible times.

Aldous Huxley warned us; if giving up freedom feels good people will line up to do it. No fighting against human nature. We're forever going to be viewed as a tiny minority of spergs, no matter how many people get assassinated, no matter how much government and corporations data mine people. No one gives a shit. We've lost.

Ted was right.
Burn it all down.

Have you seen how crazy /g/ is about smartphones? Kind of makes you think. The most hackable and intrusive device is popular among "tech enthusiasts".

I guess you have no idea what you're talking about. If anything, if you care about privacy, you'd be more open to apple products. They offer plebs good encryption and security measures. It's also proven that iOS is safer than android. If anything, you should show a picture of Mark Zuckerfuck, or anyone who encourages the social media behaviour of showing your shit to the entire world.

Dude, read Island.
Huxley would jizz his pants, were he still alive to see how fucked up things have gotten.

So does Android. Very few OEMs activate encryption, though.

Not really. Most of the Android attacks depend on a ersion ≤ 4.4.

The biggest problem with Andoid is lack of updates and encryption thanks to shitty OEMs, but to say that iOS is better for privacy is a fallacy.

We don't know how how much and what information it sends back, we don't know of they provide a backdoor in their software, or if a huge security hole is already being exploited by non-government crackers.

If anything, smartphones should be avoided and only stuff like Ubuntu Mobile be considered.

As long as you have a sim card in your phone, it doesn't matter which device you use. They're all exposed. And stop it with the Linux worship. It's stupid. It's not secure. The thing is, smartphones are pocket computers, with really really bad security. You wouldn't trust a PC with windows XP, which is about the same level of security a 400 dollar smartphone has. I don't care if you have whatever open source or obscure shit when it comes to your phone, it's all vulnerable. Your best bet is to just not have a phone, or have a really old one without 3/4G.

Did you miss CIA/NSA leaks completely? You can gain absolute control of the device. Listen to calls, see all contacts, all your browser and search habits, see all texts, activate microphone and cameras, track position, track your travel habits, when you leave at home, when you come back and how long you spend at a location and where you live. And the ease of ordering someones sim card and taking over their entire shit is also cause for concern.

There is just nothing good about phones. And it's especially bad when a phone is connected to the internet.

He didn't warn about it, he and his family was part of the power structure, his brother headed up the UN for a while, he was telling us about the NWO plan.

Funnily enough, Leary, who everyone claimed was a CIA agent, was apparently scolded by Huxley for giving LSD and Psilocybin to the plebs. Huxley believed it was a tool suited for only the elite class.

Huxley was probably right that most people misuse them, but I'm still glad as fuck Leary popularized them.

In my opinion, Leary may have unwittingly worked for the CIA. I don't think he worked for them consciously, at least not in the beginning. Some of his earlier works were fucking brilliantly eye opening (even if they do turn out fundamentally incorrect).

CIA nigger agent*

Soz fam.

this is why we keep fighting

yo yo i just trie ta provide da secure comms for me and my fams and spread good knowledge of da propa opsec 'n im thinken you's should be doing da same thang know wut im sayin dawg

Excuse me I read it on Holla Forums and Holla Forums is always right okay?

There on fbi.gov i think.

The way that we win is we make free software convenient. Im not saying that you need to dumb it down but better usability and normies will flock due to how easy free software is to modify etc. The problem is usually the people who do that then just make it proprietary anyway.
Looking at you Jewbuntu

One time. ONE TIME they protected someone; a mudslime terrorist, no less. When the coverage of that wasn't even completely out of the news cycle, they had already turned around and gotten someone v& for torrenting. A few years ago, they also got caught with a file in the iPhone that was storing logs of the GPS location of the user. When the media blew up about it, a release was rolled out quickly and the file was encrypted. Apple never addressed it and people eventually forgot.

Apple is a shit company and should be boycotted.

What if we just make the same distro then release normie/Regular version and autism/Advanced/Expert edition? With different package managers, preinstalled/not preinstalled DE, etc.

Apple is better for your privacy than Google, if only because Apple doesn't actually make money by analyzing your personal information. But it's easy to make Android more private than iOS if you want to.

How is that the same distro?

The usual "Desktop Environments" aka Gnome and KDE are massive shitpiles that should not be used by anyone. Just saying.

Let me elaborate on this.
ShitLinux Regular Edition:
- Ligtweight but usable DE (xfce, lxde) with a compositor to attract normies
- apt/yum/rpm with a graphical frontend (similar to ubuntu software center)
- Be as retard proof as possible, i.e. make "regular" installer which is like windows 7 installer and "advanced" installer which includes shit like encryption and what packages to install, don't remove settings but dumb the interface down and hide the other shit behind an "advanced" switch and show a warning telling them they can fuck themselves over
- Include a small program set similar to what's found on a regular Windows install (paint, media player, browser, accesibility shit)
ShitLinux Expert Edition:
- No DE by default, live installer
- Portage as package manager
- Preconfigured DE kits available as meta packages, i.e. you can get an exact replica of regular edition by emerging shitlinux-regular-full
- No nonfree software on repos. Default portage ACCEPT_LICENSE is "-* @FREE"
- Allow users to add the official gentoo overlay

Where?
Oh really? Why?

wew
double wew

The only way we can be saved is if some sperg like Stallman finds a way to upload his mind into a computer.
Soon he'd take over every device and become unstoppable.

In my experience most people just don't understand it.

Be grateful that we are still a relatively large site that has reached a self-sustaining critical mass which talks about this stuff. 99% of the internet simply can't because of the level of censorship and control

Holla Forums is dead, long live Holla Forums.

The only solution is to hack and leak private info of reagular people and to claim that this was possible because of vulnerabilities software vendors put.

You cannot expect that people will care about stuff that does not affect them.

Have you ever tried to take out your battery and put it in your wallet. put the battery in when you have to call someone using torsocks VoIP on Replicant. That way your panic how doesn't get hacked at home due to the gsm module because of no battery.

A cancer patient can also have HIV, just saying

look at the following quote:

blissfully clueless. real privacy implies the device owner is also safe from the tech vendor himself. You are the equivalent of a woman defending her rapist Islamist husband (and his college drop-out friend and co-perpetrator Mr. NSA), for the virtue of being ultra-jealous and overly-attached.

The only way to go forward is to go back to the time before man.
Kill erryone son

Has anyone in this thread ever dealt with normies? No, they won't install your linux distro regardless of how normie-frendly it is. They will not use your encrypted chat application. They will never, ever drop facebook even if it shits on their faces. Convenience is king for normies.

This guy gets it.

But in reality, if that happened to, say, facebook, they would just release some apology and normies would still use it. Normies absolutely cannot live without facebook.

Can't wait for the latest leaked memo confirming this is something that has happened since at least '08

It sucks when even Linux is a minefield. I've been trying to migrate to Gentoo but the handbook is only enough to get the base system installed. I'm stuck on enabling my wi-fi card with the right kernel modules and software and then installing a DE.

Stallnet is our Overlord now

Do you have javascript enabled on this site?

Problem: you are not bringing anything new on the table. All those features and conveniences are already available in an OS that people are familiar with.
What you need is either something groundbreakingly convenient, or good marketing, that shits on all competitors.

Wrong. Normies have no need for advanced software, making it easy to meet their needs. The more annoying and shitty mainstream Operating systems become windows the easier it is to convince them to use stuff that actually works.

Crash this plane .. With no survivors!

I will use my Parabola libreboot thinkpad no matter what/

Vault7 confirms linux is assfuckerino'd.

Nicko van Someren, Chief Technology Officer at The Linux Foundation says that while it is "not surprising" that Linux would find itself a target, the open source project has a very fast release cycle, meaning that kernel updates are released every few days to address issues that are found.

The rapid release cycle means that vulnerabilities can be fixed faster than in other software. "Linux is an incredibly active open source project. Thousands of professional developers and volunteers - including many of the most talented in the world - are constantly contributing improvements and fixes to the project. This allows the kernel team to release updates every few days -- one of the fastest release cycles in the industry. Rapid release cycles enable the open source community to fix vulnerabilities and release those fixes to users faster," says van Someren.

Fixing vulnerabilities is not enough. You need to take any and all steps possible to ensure they don't happen in the first place.

did you try easy mode (ubuntu)? maybe gentoo is just not for you

If you're talking about writing formal proofs for software that exists, it is completely impractical to be done for most people. For the sake of practicality, security in software development happens on a best faith basis that gets updated whenever there is publicity about a certain exploit. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease".

People have no resistance in them anymore. They don't understand why anyone would resist the system, overall they enjoy the system and will side with it against anyone that is resisting it, in the very rare occasion that even still happens.
That's why mass surveillance is completely pointless, there's noone trying to do anything against the system in the first place, noone to catch or attack. At best mass surveillance is merely a really expensive dissuasion program and a giant security theater.

No, I'm not talking about retrofitting proofs. I'm saying that there's a big gap between formal proof and "lolol best faith C update when it breaks lol". You need to be proactive about checking for vulnerabilities. Otherwise you get decades old code that has ridiculous exploits in it. *cough*bash*cough*

I don't really think about proselytising with the intent to convert general public anymore, because it's a doomed endeavour. I think it's better to focus on the minority of people who do actually pay attention.

The hopeful part about that perspective is that they are pretty much always there. It's just that as civilization winds down, they get quieter, but keeping them going and letting them know there is hope beyond the ersatz social world becomes even more important.

Read this, and s/Isaiah/Richard Stallman/g, and you'll start to understand. When you surrender completely the idea or even the desirability of saving "the masses", it's amazing how much freedom and hope it gives you.

mises.org/library/isaiahs-job

No, you don't understand. Normies don't install anything, they just use whatever is the default.

Holy shit user that essay was refreshing and nourishing. Thanks for sharing.

If that's true then it explains why finding worthwhile people feels like stumbling around in the dark constantly. Though thinking we're the Remnant is too presumptuous for my tastes, as much as I like the idea.

You will never get through to normies unless you convince them that proprietary software is inherently malicious, and that free software is not. The problem is, however, that maliciousness is not an inherent quality of proprietary software (it's just an addition), nor does being free software mean it's botnet-free. They don't even know what source code is, so, to them, the only difference free software confers is that they can share it for free, and maybe that some organization can audit it (probably some day).

TL;DR If you can convince normies that proprietary software=malware (e.g. lags your computer, installs rootkit, enables phishing, corrupts stuff) and free software=malware-free, normies will flock like sheep. Problem is those things are not always true.

no, but they will ask other people to.
"hey user, my laptop is really slow. make it fast"
-swap out the drive for an SSD and install ubuntu
"wow thanks, this is so much faster - i can read facebook really fast now"
and they never even realise. if laptop manufacturers ever catch on, they'd make a fortune.

tbh windows 10 does this pretty much single handedly.

tl;dr? please

oh it's nothing, don't worry

You don't, OP. Get ready for the resistance.

I still don't understand why he can pilot a chopper in T4

If you have a weakened immune system it would stand to say you're more susceptible to cancer.

>wikileaks.org/wiki/Steve_Jobs_purported_HIV_medical_status_results,_2008

A cancer patient can also have a cold, but when he dies of cancer, you don't say he died of the sniffles.

This shitshow started when user claimed that jobs 'died of HIV. Even that claim is ridiculous, as nobody dies from HIV. They die from AIDS-related complications/opportunistic infections which are the result of the progression of HIV infection.

Do you even read the shit you post?

sage for offtopic again

I don't know--and don't really care--whether Abdulfattah Jandali, Jr. was pozzed, but the faggots posting conspiracy theories in this thread sure are.

"You here to kill me?"

>PROTECT TERMINATE

"Yes."

On topic: Normalfags are a lost cause, if you ask me.

Thanks for your substantive and meaningful critique of the essay.

The tl;dr is "read it, you moron, you are being conditioned by modern media to reject anything that can't be swallowed in two sentences with the word 'fuck' somewhere in it"

tl;dr?

Solid read

the article itself "paraphrase[s] the story in our common speech," you dumb fuck.

tl:dr = Too long;didn't read

Maybe if the FSF and various ass pies had dropped the Marxist bullshit and "hurr durr getting paid for your software product is AXIOMATICALLY WRONG" bullshit, everyone wouldn't have ignored them, and then maybe they wouldn't have sold their souls so easily to companies who actively undermine their privacy.

Also maybe if privacyfags as a community hadn't been so cozy with pedophiles of all stripes, people would take them more seriously.

epic meme

you are free to sell Free Software, that is one of the important freedoms.

cool story bro

the fuck are you on about?

It's way too inconvenient these days to have your shit private and secure.
How the hell do you hide from all the factors at play trying to fuck you over?

You harden your OS they check mate you with some unauditable piece of code you weren't even aware of in your own system.

Your hardware runs on compromised firmware.

Your ISP is in bed with your enemy.

Your VPN provider will cooperate.

TOR is in their backpocket.

What can a normie realistically do to protect himself?

Shill detected

Not an argument.

Don't use facebook?

Install free software and disconnect your Internet connection.

Most of what you listed isn't all that hard to address provided we stop being defeatist cucks and put some effort into helping or donating to people that can help.

This is also bullshit by the way otherwise the abc agencies probably wouldn't invest so much in attack strats

Learn the basics about firmware/software and stop giving up before even trying. You can learn a lot from trying to avoid tyranny even if you end up failing.

If they are a lost cause, then you are lost. Everything revolves around catering to the masses. We need the normies to revolt.

Revolution only happens after something terrible occurs. They're edging and supressing the people lest rebellion is prevented. Wonder why they promote all those feelgood shit to normies?

this
AIDS

Revolution only happens when people can act as external opposition to the system, as in class war, or as in the French revolution. At the current state there is no outside opposition, people are fully and forcibly integrated into the system along with their simulated resistances. We have all become hostages of the system, so revolution is no longer possible. Besides, even if there was something that the system couldn't integrate, its technical capabilities are far beyond that of any possible resistance movement. The system has already won on that terrain. But there's a possibility for some unpredictable event that could collapse the whole system if it pushes it in the right spot. The only strategy left is a strategy of fate.

Human nature. We're funny little creatures, always thinking that we're the best and that we can do it all alone. We have this mentality of selfishness, where it's not our problem until it's hurting us directly.

We don't. Get some popcorn and watch it burn.

Why would you burn popcorn?

Because you like the flavor of popcorn charcoal.

It's Holla Forums stuff, but it's true. It's not Steve Jobs or NSA+Windowse, it's just the nature of cattle.

>tfw you're turning into mental Jew

tl;dr, something like gamergate.

what if we spook people into thinking they can't pirate shit anymore?

That ship has long sailed. Most of them gave up on piracy when google started removing search results. The rest did when their favorite website got taken down.

We would need something harder. There is a general dislike over Windows 10 updates but they will succumb eventually with only few switching sides. It's a tough enemy to crack on. You would probably have more luck taking on the government.

how about a native client for WorldStarHipHop, go for the Cali audience?

meant to say *rebellion instead of revolution, anyway this is right. The enemy is anonymous and hides in secrecy that's why its harder to separate the people from the enemy plus the fucker mason groups' MAJOR requirement for joining is: you must not have violated any laws ever or been in jail which means all the evil bastards are required to be 'pure' so when they join the sekrit club they can do all they want without looking like a criminal and blame all their crimes to lowlifes they call 'livestock' while they enjoy the crooked system with their 'brotherhood that outnumbers even the mafias'.

the only form of revolution now would be toppling down the archonistic world government and installing a fresher one.

it might not be a good method but I'm thinking of framing up and/or exposing the archons although their organization is really huge that you don't even know how large their hierarchy is by now or who is even the leader.

this

it's almost amazing how people cannot kill the cop inside their head

even mentioning piracy or torrenting shit in internet discussions now can get you banned, like for some reason it's your moral duty to pay for some crap

I notice the same thing when shitty tech blogs recommend VPN over Tor. It always boils down to a desire to play the role of a paying customer because that's the right thing to do if you want to be a good citizen.
Same shit with all of these "services" such as Spotify. As if they're going to put you in Guantanamo if you torrent an album. Not that that would be bad anyway, it must be the right thing if they would do it! Obey the law!
And same shit with the most popular advice regarding CIA leaks: "don't become a target!" In other words, don't do anything that CIA might not like! Be in harmony with the system!

It's your moral duty to abstain if you can't pay.

Correction: Media is telling many thoughtless drones that it is okay.

age-of-the-sage.org/psychology/social/asch_conformity.html

This comic is fucking awful. First, it attempts to downplay the concept of basic human needs by abstracting things like FOOD AND WATER into the resource people obtain them with, money, and then recasts money as a "want", essentially trying to say that getting a job to stop yourself from starving/dehydrating to death is a "lemming behavior", not to mention that it tries to conflate wanting a consistently available source of basic shelter with the rat race of buying bigger and bigger homes.

Next problem is that they introduce a MAJOR FLAW in their system by noting that they have no power to provide these people with even their basic NEEDS (not "wants"), yet seem to completely brush that problem off as if it's silly to ask the people trying to take down the system how I'm going to have even basic food.

There's also this strange moment where they seem to imply that "higher ideals" will help them achieve their basic "wants". The only two things I could think that these "higher ideals" could possibly be are alchemy and communism, both equally reliable in terms performance and in terms of sustainability.

Then comes the part where a reasonably stable person realizes that this is some whacked out cult propaganda when it implies that the only way to a happier world is murdering those within the system.

Fun fact, the leaders of revolutions who unite the people against the system always end up being people who simply wish to become the system themselves.

lol fuck off, it's my moral duty to follow my self interests

Kill yourself.

holy shit we've found another anti piracy retard

I'm not anti-piracy though.

GNUtards had 20 years to come up with some better alternative. They could not put shit together.

Steve Jobs comes out with a well-designed, understandable product. It blows away all the competition out of the water within 2 years.

You faggots had your chance and you blew it. 1984 has become the future because none of you could stop quibbling about trivial shit.

/r/atheism is that way >>>/reddit/

The enlightened spook-free safe space is >>>Holla Forums buddy.

Ego and its own is the biggest spook of them all. You should perhaps start reading other philosophers as well, if you ever really read Stirner in the first place.

that's where im from

it's just a natural development following the generational decline in testosterone and men becoming increasingly faggy and feminized as a result, behaving like a gaggle of office hens bickering

PROVE ME FUCKING WRONG

So men losed their freedom because of industrialized food and lack of discipline ?
This doesn't surprise me.

Because Holla Forums tells the truth most of the time

People have been thrown in prison for doing this. Apparently it's "terrorist behaviour".

FFS, if you're so hell-bent on paying, rent a VPS and run your own Tor node on it. If you provide more resources to the network than you consume, that makes you a paying customer, right?

At least you admit you're a retard.

You mean like AIDS-related opportunistic cancer?

...and two years later, said fixes appear in mainstream distro releases. Two additional years later, non-geek users update to the newer version of their distro.

You wish, Shlomo. You can carry your blackpill with you to the >>>/oven/

They're true enough of the time to use exclusively free software for just that reason.

Security fixes tend to happen very quickly. It is not the distro's problem that users who should control their own system refuse to regularly update.

There's little we can do and I've just accepted that I can only try to make my own life better.
I will probably die of old age before anything else happens to me.
I will be forgotten and the world will move on.
Will humanity ever break out of the cycle of feudalism?
I don't know, but probably not in my life time.

Call it defeatist, call it realism, call it learned helplessness, I don't care.

Basically, yolo. I'm not spending my life whining about things I can't do much or anything about.

But, I won't ignore their existence, either.
I would like to see the torture and murder of innocent people disappear in my lifetime.
That's the one thing I'd like to see happen, even if it's just out of 'their' own volition and no change on our part.

Correction: the article itself says that only the ones interested in something will take the effort to know more about it.

If you ask for a tl;dr you don't need to know what the articles is about.

The implications are strong with this one.

Tim, we missed you. How is that faggot ass of yours doing?