Default Android is botnet + crapware from service provider

I guess the proper choice is between
1) Using an ancient device that only does phone calls
2) Custom Android ROM

What Android ROM should be used and recommended and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

hackaday.io/project/19035-zerophone-a-raspberry-pi-smartphone/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Get with the times, Winblows Phony is in the past (and as dead as ever). Nokia has licensed their brand to HMD Global (a new company founded by ex-Nokia people) who are making Android phones now.

You're right, I forgot about that.

Lineage os ROM

An argument as to why a ROM is preferrable is good.

guardian ROM

What really brings my piss to a boil is the necessity of "rooting" a phone just to replace the OS or do anything of substance. I once tried it with mine and it didn't work because it requires a code from Motorola that I was unable to get.

1) it's not hard to do, unless you bought a PajeetPhone.
2) if this was a perfect world, it would make sure your data was safe since you're forced to wipe everything before ever getting root access.

All of this is better than what jailbreaking an iPhone is.

I use Xiaomi.
Replace the USA Botnet for the Chinese Botnet.
Free yourself.

Well it seems hard enough, because I was not able to find any method of doing it.

It's usable and there are a couple of models with it preinstalled.

Unless you need WhatsApp (in which case only iOS and Android are an option), Ubuntu Phone and SailfishOS are alternatives.

It's not.

Yes, you get updates regularly, but unless you are the lucky owner one of the very few models with an active development and available drivers, you will find a lot of bugs and/or find yourself deleting all your information to update.

Using a stock ROM or a community ROM is the difference between using an outdated version of Fedora and a broken, non-fixable Arch install.

Mobile OSs are a fucking joke.

Replicant ROM

Copperhead OS rom

Now you have two botnets. Who am I kidding, the American botnet was probably sold to China too by the Greatest Allies™ long ago.

You mean an old BQ model that has been discontinued since long ago?
I'm pretty sure if you install Ubuntu Phone on a modern device you'll miss out on most of the sensors/features (laser focus, fingerprint scanner, HDR, 4K video, etc) due to lack of drivers alone.

This is exactly why I made the thread: Cyanogen was supposed to be the Ubuntu of custom ROMs but it feels like a hack job by amateurs.

There are only two platforms that pose any competition to Android and iOS. Windows Phone is a stillborn, and was a failure for Microsoft. Sailfish could gain a market share if the newer Nokia phones are easily dual booted, creating a small, but healthy ecosystem for those who've migrated to Android, yet still want the Mer/Maemo/Meego environment. Tizen has a heavy backing by Samsung, and has been used by several Samsung products.

It amazes me how many times they've fucked this up. The market is saturated with shitty phones. How fucking hard can it be to realize what the average, not retarded person wants? A usable phone with motherfucking buttons, and a readable fucking screen.

STOP BELIEVING FEATURE PHONES ARE MORE SECURE
ALL feature phones are running an outdated java firmware
and OS that you cannot control or even inspect without hacking
BUT
you can send a malformed sms, mms, or email and infect it
Not to mention an infected SIM card can infect the system
Android runs a daemon to interact with the SIM card
You can sandbox this daemon
I am working to port native linux apps to Android
specifically UFW
You can entirely remove ALL google shit from Android
WITHOUT compiling your own kernel and OS
Use Firefox or Opera as your browser (if you intend to have one)
You will triple you battery life, not use any mobile data, and be free

If your phone is rootable and you have the patience to follow convoluted 35 step tutorials that hopefully won't end up bricking your phone.

Replicant
Yeah but with all the shit instability that's it going to cause it's not worth it.
Suicide

Oh did they finally add doze support?

What are you a pajeet?

Which one?

Copperhead

I looked into all of those out of curiosity and except LineageOS which is just Cyanogen, the rest are probably ShitpostOS.

I never understood windows phone. Did microsoft really believe their operating system would work where battery life and cpu performance are important?

Windows Phone is not bad, actually. Most of their phones have good hardware, look nice and work well. It's just that the Windows 8 look and lack of apps plus it's just as closed as iOS make it really uninteresting.

In other words, iOS just won over Windows Phone because of timing, both are just as good/bad in the same proportions (except app variety and bang per buck, but these balance each other).

Whats wrong with ubuntu phones?

Unless you're using an Ubuntu phone, I'll take that as a shitpost.

No, the battery life of the supported phones are normally shit because you can't buy them new, and they have shit optimization

Any reason why nobody talks about sailfish in this thread?

Pick one, you stupid kike. Do we have to think for you?

jolla is lacking in hardware compared to leading android/iphone phones

closed source UI and lack of apps

Same thing can and has happened with smartphones. Also, how many hackers out there today are still trying to target old feature phones? What would they even be able to accomplish to make it worth their time investment?

Simple solution, don't piss off the feds enough to get them to covertly replace the SIM card in your phone.

Security against these non issues really isn't enough to convince me to replace my feature phone with a larger and more easily damaged phone without a physical keyboard. Not to mention how I can't keep my keys or my pocket knife in the same pocket as a smartphone due to the massive exposed screen.

Most stock ROMs contain something called CarrierIQ that on certain devices has its slimy tendrils dug in as low as the first bootloader. This is used by intelligence agencies to spy on users (at least here in the US). It's also what's responsible for the "fake off" mode where the device is still active when you think it's fully shut down. Manufacturers will often include this software themselves. On certain developer devices, or any device where a bootloader unlock is supported (or not specifically prevented), you can remove this software. An example is the Nexus 5. I'm not sure if the software was ever included to begin with since the phone is the North American unlocked version, but I installed an app from FDroid that checks it. My phone runs the latest version of Lineage OS with no Google apps. The Nexus 5 from what I can see also has good modem hardware isolation, which is important in defending you against a lot of potential attacks or spying through the cellular network.

I normally ignore dumb phonethreads as they're cancer
t. sailfish/jolla user

You can hate the Pyra all you want, but the 4G version could be the most secure cellphone available this year.

We would need to check how secure is the OMAP5432 and the other IC's.
I could be wrong in some of my previous statements but I don't know everything by heart, feel free to check for yourself.

user you're defensive and its not even out yet

hackaday.io/project/19035-zerophone-a-raspberry-pi-smartphone/
support this. do the survey.
the software it uses (pyLCI) is apache but i've emailed the guy about making key features as a base software and then letting users make their own front ends which call to that software. so eventually it will be less dumbphone and more smartphone

The only doubt is about how secure is the hardware going to be.
I did preorder, if it gets released or not its not up to me, to develop and produce a device like this is extremely complex and time consuming especially for a very small team, at least I'm glad to back this kind of projects.
Also this
If you're not able to control every aspect of your devices then you don't own them.

So, what's it like? I was interested in it, but their availability was tremendously limited.

Widnows phone OS 8.. is shit although the hardware is okay. Like there was a phone with decent adreno GPU before but cannot playback a 720p video let alone 480p without dropping frames. while the android phone can even playback 1080p mp4 and 10-bit 720p yuv with the same hardware.

It's just bad/rushed market. Haste is waste plus the problem is no one develops apps and even come to the point they pay people to make them apps and fake apps become rampant (on both windows PC and mobile)

Windows mobile 6.x is the last good windows mobile that even featured a pen digitizer and first real-world office apps that predates android.

meme phone and no open sauce repo for kernal and everything. better buy a hackable nexus. they were good when they started but they released too late and the specs were already in phase out (like those quadcore shits, slow company).

Now I'm jealous,

CarrierIQ sounds very familiar and I've heard it long time ago.

forgot about this but pyra is really decent. can it be used to emulate PSP?
this is one of the good libre startups I'd set my eyes on

>tfw still no gentoo phone :(((

The really amazing thing about Microsoft's mobile failures is that Google beat them by copying the Windows desktop playbook almost verbatim. Free development tools and API access and no red tape for developers, no software walled garden ("jailbreaking" Android is just a security settings toggle), OEMs able to throw it on whatever inexpensive hardware they want, excellent backwards compatibility, and pressure on retail outlets (the carriers) to sell that OEM hardware loaded with their software. These are classic pre-2000 Microsoft tactics that ensured Windows remained popular, and helped Android become dominant.

But no, Microsoft didn't learn a thing. Expensive to develop for (good luck getting your WP app made without a Technet subscription!), a walled garden app source, strict hardware requirements for OEMs, a new backwards-incompatible OS every few years, and zero effort to get carriers to sell Windows phones. It's hilarious how bad Microsoft fucked it up.

Shame on you, tech

do they even work when plugged in the pc? that's true though, they're mildly botnet but not all are. Confirmed botnet ones are nokia asha and blackberry.
this is true. just malform the google shits including tts and other useless crap like dictionary but this method requires rooting and massive hardbrick recovery methods
I hope you meant to say opera labs v4 j2me which doesn't use opera servers but uses their proprietary certs

I do hope you're not using google launcher which runs sound recorder in powersave stealth.

replicant is

just use cyanogenmod
most other shit is just ripoffs of it anyways