Save GNU+Linux

Sick of the ever growing presence of proprietary software on GNU+Linux and the new influx of users who have no respect for freedom?

change.org/p/valve-corporation-remove-steam-support-for-gnu-linux

Sign this petition to help stop the problem at it's origin.

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy/nonfree-games.html
change.org/p/valve-corporation-remove-steam-support-for-gnu-linux
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend_and_extinguish
store.vikings.net/index.php
linuxcounter.net/statistics)
capnramses.itch.io/crongdor
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

gnu.org/philosophy/nonfree-games.html

steam is not a game, it's a closed source, restricted market service that locks users into it's service and teaches them that proprietary restrictions management is the only way to purchase, keep and use your apps.

Signed, fuck Valve.

Fuck Valve, but most importantly: fuck the cucks who use Steam. Every bad industry practice could have died out if gamers had a spine and had said no. Buying physical these days is completely pointless because all you get it a Steam key for a half-finished game in a box. I haven't bought a new physical game in almost a decade now, the last one was The Witcher.

There is GOG for DRM-free digital downloads, but thanks to all the cucks all they can get is indie games and old leftovers from the big companies.

This is Chris-Chan levels of autism. I cannot even conceive why this petition is a thing. Absolutely none of the authors goals make any sense.

I main on Windows so I honestly could give less of a fuck. But if I didn't know any better I'd say this petition was started by a Microsoft shill to further suppress software support for Linux and hinder its adoption rate in favor of Windows. Think about it.

Good luck.

ok bye

Not an argument

This is completely autistic and retarded, I've gotten many a person to switch because of Steam.

This petition is so incredibly removed from reality that I genuinely question wither or not this board truly is a containment board for actual retards. And not retards as a generic insult, there are posters on this board right now that I can say with absolute certainty has some form of mental retardation.

No thanks

By removing Steam, you are effectively removing peoples' right to choose. Free software is clearly the ethical way to go, but you can't force people to use it. Instead you should be petitioning Valve to change their business practices.

You shouldn't petition for Valve to do anything since Valve has about the same rights to publishing software they made as everyone else. If you hate Steam then use an alternative like GOG Or just pirate all your games. And let a free market decide instead.

> change.org/p/valve-corporation-remove-steam-support-for-gnu-linux

Fuck off. I want to play my gaymen natively on Linux and Steam on Linux is the only way I can do so. (Wine is NOT natively. It has absolutely shit performance when I run Steam through Wine. i tried.) I don't want to reboot to Windows everytime I want to play TF2. You can just choose to not fucking install Steam on your autistic ricer distro.

(self checked)
BTW, I use gentoo, and the only proprietary things on my computer is Steam and radeon blobs. Just in case you attempt to start the "normie" non-argument.

Even if this is a good intention it can be a bad one too.
Valve is indeed truly a cancer in the Gnu/linux community.
But it's in it now, so the best thing to do it's to ask at to stop making/adding non-free /libre code in it (not especially the games for now) but at least the steam store should be free/libre software has well has the forced binary blobs that it downloads (drivers and other shit tools).
Please remake you petition user.

A funny thing to know is that the steam store is actually a chromium based software.

jesus fucking christ. they are the microsoft of the games world, but worse, at least microsoft has 24/7 support.

Reminder, if you "game" on GNU+Linux you belong on fucking reddit

Wine is by definition native and all the programs that run on it are native, too. You autistic, ignorant, manchild.

I agree with this guy. In order to be accepted into this community valve has to abide by the rules of this community.

It's not a complete Linux compatibility layer, and games run like ass on it.
pic related

Doom seems to run pretty fucking well in Wine.

There really is a only a small special breed of people who will build a culture outside the mainstream, and they always make the mistake of thinking they can spread the culture to the normies... and what happens instead is the normies change the culture to dogshit.

That page is almost entirely about Steam. Did you even look at it?

that's the point. Steam is the problem.

Steam is the problem, but that doesn't make removing it from Linux the solution.

A Linux user starting to use Steam is a bad thing, but a Steam user starting to use Linux is a good thing.

wrong. steam users need to learn not to use steam, muddying up the GNU+Linux community with their DRM and proprietary rubbish is not helpful to anyone.

It's helpful to them. It improves their freedom. It's good for the same reason it's good for anyone else to switch to Linux.

Using Steam doesn't even mean they don't care about freedom at all. I know someone who does a lot of libre game development who uses Steam on Linux.

Of course they need to stop using Steam, but in practice that's not always a step they're willing to take, even when they are willing to switch to Linux.

that's a whole lot of words to say nothing

them not being able to leave steam is exactly the reason anti steam movements are needed

Wine is as "native" as /usr/lib32/ on an amd64 machine. Of course it'll run like shit, you're using it to run games written for an OS that only sees half the CPU registers.

It's better to have support available on gnu/linux for proprietary software since it gives less incentive for someone to pay to use Windows. Why would someone pay hundreds to use an operating system when a free one can do nearly all of its functions for free? The support for proprietary software on gnu/linux only affects distros which were never aimed at being free software distros in the first place, such as ubuntu, while others, such as trisquel, remains free.

This.
OP be like

Wait, Steam? That thing you have to explicitly install? That's the problem? In a world full of unavoidable binary blobs shitting all over your freedoms, this is what freetards are worried about?

This is why the GNU + Linux community is fucking cancer. They think that just because a company is developing a piece of proprietary, then that company is derailing the entirety to GNU + Linux. They are not, they want to keep their code secure so no one fucking steals it and takes away their money. Some companies actually want to make money you fag, some people don't want to contribute to a communist ideology. How hard is it to get that through your shitty deformed Gentoo logo stabled into your forehead. For fucks sake.

Jesus Christ. Did the Steam Internet Defense Force just start swarming this thread? Does Gabe pay you in digital trading cards?

No, but Matlab doesn't crash.

It's better to have support of free software.
What steam does like said here is that it only use the ubuntu platform without contributing to the free software alredy there.
Steam is replacing bit by bit part of what was free/libre.
Even with this petition had success it doesn't force steam to do jack shit.

What needs to be done his that steam promotes free software on the platform via making their contributions to it under a copyleft license instead on a proprietary one.
The migration of a non-free platform to a free one isn't a problem if the contributions of the said platform goes in the way of copyleft.

If it's not contributing to it like said it's just a Embrace, extend and extinguish technic.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend_and_extinguish

GPLv2 would be a good license.

It depends one how it's made see
But their are no reasons nowadays to not make a software under a copyleft license.

Many ways to make money.
Making money on slavery was abolished along time ago.
Making money by selling private life information isn't ethical either.
You have no idea of what communism his or what is free software.
--RMS

GPLv2 is better than permissive licenses yes.
But GPLv2 has a legal loophole that makes possible for hardware manufacturers to block any users (developers are users to) to execute a modified version of a software at the firmware level via signatures.
GPLv2 unfortunately lets companies go against Freedom 0 thus blocking anyone from making any upgrades of any sort.

There is also a free market of software on Windows yet not all of that software isn't open source. With open source software, you contribute to a whole except no one benefits monetarily, well except ad revenue. At least when there is a monopoly, there is still opportunity to find flaws in the product which induced the monopoly. Open source gives everyone a tool they can tweak and diddle around with but disallows money to be made from such freely available items.

Free software/open source doesn't stop people from making money, and it by definition doesn't disallow people to make money from it - if you're not allowed to sell it it's not FOSS.

Some people sell it, some people sell support for it, some people get voluntary donations for it. Some people develop it as part of their job, because their company uses the software and needs improvements.

Being FOSS does affect monetization, but it doesn't prevent it, and plenty of proprietary software doesn't have any kind of monetization. You need to see the two as separate.

step 1) give a copy of your product's source code to somebody in exchange for $50
step 2) they make a free copy for anybody who wants one
step 3) ...
step 4) profit!

How exactly does this work for something like a game?

I don't think you understand what does it mean to have a monopoly market in software.
For example:

Company "A" made a non-free spreadsheet software with a specific closed format.
A company "B" buys their software and works with it.
For X reasons the company "B" wants to change software, and buy the software of the company "C".
But company "B" realizes that company "A" has closed the format of the software and cannot use the new software of company "C" because of incompatibilities.
And these incompatibilities cannot be corrected because like said the format of the document can be only read by the software of the company "A".
Only reverse engineering can be done but it will take a huge amount of work and without any guaranty of success.
And wen a company is confronted to that they always stay with the old company because it cause to much problem internally, if will cost too much or reverse engineering is illegal in the country you are in.
This is what it means to have a monopoly in software.
It's having complete control of the installations of an entity, it's basically communism.

This is incorrect m8.
Their are a lot of people who are living their life with it.
Tell me, you has a person, do you know how to compile a software ?
How much do you think people even knows what's a compiler ?
Besides developers and some advanced techies. Their is literally less than 0.2% of the human population who knows:
-what is code source.
-what is a compiler.
-and what's a binary.
The GPL and other copyleft licenses allows you to sell the software like you wish or even make services out of it you do basically what you want.
The only thing you can't do with such license is to restrict people.
Thus you are letting them free from possible tyranny of another developer they can't be forced to use your software.
If they want to change the can.
Free software was and will always be a mater of Freedom.

Personally I sell services not software.
I administrate and maintain servers for multiple people.
It can be for emails, web pages, video and audio chat, FTP server etc...
But I do this at my level, I don't expect to get billions dollars because I know that's a fucking fairy tail pushed by a lot of jews.

Another great example of free software that was create thanks to collaborative efforts is this:
store.vikings.net/index.php
And all this wasn't created only because of people who worked gratis a lot of them are payed to make software under copyleft and they live like any other people.

Don't see free/libre software has a product see it a has tool that will server people that will make products/services.
If we don't control our tools we can't make good product/services.

step 1) release source code of your game.under GPL
step 2) sell the content (art etc...) of your game
step 3) after 3 years releases the content of the game under CC-BY-SA 4 so that the community lives and do all sort of shit.
step 4) profit!

The same way selling any game without DRM works, except that step 2 is not illegal. But how often does that stop people?

No, I think it was started by valve to justify cutting their costs.

Autism is the most prominent form.

I seriously hope this is a pitiful bait attempt.

This x100, except copies of proprietary games floating online get taken down. Not copyright law is a strong deterrent to determined individuals, but it's still worth noting.

If steam was a basic libre client that allowed me to buy games and download the DRM free game files I'd be happy with it. As it stands it's fucking insidious, you only have to ask a steam user to stop using steam and you'll realize he can't, he's bound to it. He's put too much money into it to let it go.

This is why Steam is a problem.

If you game at all you belong on fucking reddit.

That's why we need to push developers to distribute their games to services like Desura and GOG.com which will lead people to use those services instead.

That's not part of this argument. You've changed the subject completely. This was never an argument between someone should make free software or proprietary software. The rest of your post is garbage too.

step 1) release source code of your game.under GPL
step 2) sell the content (art etc...) of your game
step 3) after 3 years of eating from a tin can...
step 4) suicide

determined individuals is a very small percentage. Most people know nothing about pirating. Free software makes it so that it's available on any site with a nice download button instead of needing to download a torrent client and know what a magnet link is.

Nobody is forcing you to use steam. There is no problem if it is developed on linux.

what did you mean by this post

step 1) release your game without source code
step 2) someone copies and pastes it onto a torrent website
step 3) after 3 years of eating from a tin can...
step 4) suicide

Yep:

MUH GATEKEEPING

KEEP THE NORMIES OUT REEEEEEEEE

JOIN OR DIE

CONFORM OR DIE

BE EXACTLY LIKE US
DO EXACTLY LIKE US
THINK EXACTLY LIKE US

fuck off you literal manchild, linux is not your sekrit club, you down own it and it owes you nothing

nice thing about linux is that you dont have to use proprietary software if you dont want to, i do this the majority of the time but there are a few things i use that are proprietary and its super great that i can pick and choose what i want to use.

so seriously shut the fuck up, grow up, and realize that gatekeeping and pretending that you have some secret club is infantile.

the rope is waiting. you don't have much longer.

>what? no no, linux is mine, i own it, ignore linus and 90 million (linuxcounter.net/statistics) other users, the only people that matter are me, and richard (fat pedo) stallman

you're both autistic, and retarded, you deserve welfare.

honestly if you like using 100% libre software and only want to be part of a community that uses 100% libre software, theres always the savahna community and im sure there are other groups that jack off to stallmans beard, you just have to look

you're implying that the existance of one thing eradicates the existance of something else, in this case thats completely wrong and stupid,

heres how normal people act

heres how you act

you're fucking retarded, literally clinically retarded.

(also spoilers, successful groups evolve and change with the times, typically deviating from a verbatim adherance to their original founding beliefes/values/rules, in doing so they shed luddites and retards who would seek to have the group grow stagnant because CHANGE IS BAD HURR, im sure you're also from pol and believe niggers, jews, and gays should all be gassed to protect america and traditional family values.)

funny, it looks like you're implying that your cult like zealotry for facist based enforcment of MUH FREEDUMBS is going to some how take over, when in fact linux seems to be growing more and more diverse bye the day.

guess you might want to be looking for a rope soon cause your concentrated autism is soon to be completely ignored (more than it already is) and you'll just be one of those pathetic neckbeard man children who spends their days fapping to underage anime girls and arguing about how linux should "go back to its roots" and how "pedophilia isnt actually wrong"

I think the point flew right over your head. With the massive influx of normies, we'll see an increase in "software panels" A.K.A. businessmen like Valve co. who look to captialize on Linux sitting down at a table, hoarding HUGE distro share (from the influx of normies) and deciding what everyone else uses. All of the devs will have no choice but to move to that new software and stop supporting the old stuff. It's exactly like SystemD but it will be on a whole new level if SteamOS succeeds.

Leave. Now.

we can only hope steamos and steammachines continue to be a failure

it is very lucky for us that valve are such incompetent general software and system programmers.

refugees from windows im assuming

how do you function.

linux was never founded on this absurd zealotry you're promoting, if you knew anything about its history (going back as far as bell labratories even) you'll see that it was created as the ultimate in flexibility and freedom to use /whatever you want/

again, literaly no one is forcing you to use the things you dont like, thats the point of linux
and this isnt even a "well if you dont like the movie go make your own" where its an obvious trap because you cant make a movie because you dont have the funds / equipment /skill, with linux if you dont want to use systemD go use void or some other systemd-less distro, if you want to take it even further you can literally piece together your own fucking distro that is tuned perfectly to your specific brand of autism with LFS, software diversity and support make the community grow so that we can eventually attain our goal of world domination.

haha oh look, a poltard, dont you have some "traditional values" to defend from da eeevil jews?

get out

no proprietary software contributes to this goal seeing that it is PROPRIETARY. it does not benefit the community.

See this is where you're wrong. You fail to realize that there is no fundimental "us" in this situation. It's those who like Free Software vs. fucktards like you who couldn't care less if your Linux box was running code sponsored by Microsoft Corp. and the NSA.

this is merely a testiment to how stupid you are.

i never stated that it was made by bel labs, please post a screenshot or quote me verbatim where i sated such a thing.

bell labs made the original unix, unix spawned a fuck load of successors and inspired the creation of minix, linus then used the minix formula to create linux, all the while keeping the original ideas of complete agoristic freedom that was started so long ago in bel labs.

i can agree with this to an extent, however to grow a community you need more members, to attract members you need to provide something that would intice them to use linux and since at this point basically everyone who would choose linux based on its merits alone ARE using linux, we need to almost bait people, steam creates a bridge, a method for windows gaymer people to come over to linux without giving up the one thing they use a computer for other than the consumption of dank memes.

OP and people like op have this strange conflicting idea for what they want linux to be now and in the future

on one hand they want a strong community that follow the same set of ideas, where everyone is mature and we all work to progress science and shit

on the other hand they want to bring people who have no interest (and potentially never will) in programming or computer tech stuff, they want to bring these people in because they too realize that we've hit or are going to hit a peak where all linux users who like linux for linux are using linux. these "normies" that you hate so much are the people you are TRYING TO RECRUIT, and because you're fighting against things that would attract a normie (since they dont care about programming or whatever) they dont want to use linux, and then you get into extra-autism territory where you start tryin to convert people by pressuring them into enjoying computer based studies.

this concept of "recruit and reeducate" is very akin to religous methods of expansion and it DOES NOT promote freedom.

actually im very concious about what my computers run, no i dont run parabola with the librelinux kernel but i do actively choose libre software over prop, but i also have another computer that runs linux for muh gayms because i enjoy them. Im not suggesting people just ignore freedom completely or disregard security not one bit am i doing that, however i am saying that people need to be free to choose how they want while being provided access to education that could teach them about problematic software or whatever but AGAIN you're trying to force feed your religous zealotry down peoples throat when they just dont care and you CAN NOT make people care unless you propose rounding people up like the jews during ww2 and gassing them when they get out of line.

its a sociological fact that as a group gets larger, it gets more diverse and its basically impossible to maintain a set of beliefs verbatim across the entire group. you can have base line beliefs such as moral sets and you can teach people to be software concious from "birth" but just like christianity there are a fuck load of fractured groups each with their own minor spin on the bible. we still consider them as a whole "christians" but we have little sub lables for them such as lutherans or baptists or catholics, and if you tried to force them all together there would be non-stop conflict (which is almost how the linux community is now due to people like you and OP).

you have to let people make their own decisions, and form their own sub groups other wise you just get conflict and eventually a total group dissolve

linus chose the GPL

exactly this is the problem. if we let the normies in they will ruin it. the only way out is to be as much of a dick as possible to new users.
yeah fuck off

How to cause an autistic child to thow a shit fit in one easy step:

State the following fact - " The gpl is infectious and harmful and actually limits peoples freedoms"

i hope you enjoyed this tutorial, please like comment and subscribe for more guides on how to make autistic children angry.

how does GPL produce a net loss of freedom?

so heres a point i made that has yet to be adressed

as i stated, unlike costly things such as creating a movie or forming a political party linux is completely free and completely customizable to an extreme and because of that we see lots of distros and even lots of forks of linux its self

so knowing this, why do you seek to infect the whole of linux with your autistic zealotry when you could simply break off and form your own group? infact thats already been done so you dont even have to do any of the work!

also i really shouldnt have started an arguent with a literal autistic man child, because when you say obviously retarded shit like "the only way out is to be as much of a dick as possible to new users" its clear that you're too far gone.

show me a large scale succesful group that does that to their members and still exists today.

LOL GUYS CALM DOWN XDDD he was just KIDDDING OMG LOL YOU FELL FOR IT OMG IM POSTING THIS ON VINE XDDDD

ITT : the reason why no one uses linux and people tend to avoid it.

forgot to add that you're right when talking about the purity of a group
if you want to keep your group completely pure, then your methods are exactly what you should do infact i've used that method before when i was an admin in an IRC chan, cause i didnt want "normies" coming in and shitting up my chan however i also didnt care about becoming the worlds largest and greatest irc chan, i was content with my group of friends.

I don't. I just don't want more normies coming in and infecting Linux, which is what you want. You want to sell out Linux to the corporations just for users.
I don't care about it being a large scale group. Right now, the people on Linux have moved to it because they want to be there. Not because of "muh gaymes" or something like that. Look at your average Windows kiddie who plays Counter Strike. Is that who you really want on your support forum?

who are you quoting? I didn't say that

so, if you dont care about becoming a large scale group, and you dont care about breaking off and making your own group... are you honestly trying to be a fascist and control the group as a whole based on your minority beliefs?

what im asking is, why do you care if you dont care?

both are totally fine, very reasonable, but when you add

thats when you have a problem.

and also i dont want to 'sell out" to corporations just for users, i want linux to remain what it is and was meant to be, which is an ultimate platform of freedom where i get to choose exactly what i want to run and how i want to run it. yes i do know that prop software cannot be run anyway that i want to run it, but if its something i want to run i can. You're the group that wants to restrict total freedom of usage and dont even try to equate software usage to murder or rape as some of these other clowns have because its not at all related. Linux is that joke image of the libertarian utopia where its basically a picture of australia or whatever, but unlike real life no one is forced to be there , if they wanted they could (in real world terms) fly on over to japan and live in a polished sky scraper. i personally like the more barren waste land aesthetic to my stuff but not everyone does and if people like you had their way we would just have another microsoft windows.

where did I say this? If you're referring to at that time I had mistaken that you just cared about "muh games".
Even so, what I said still applies, though it probably only applies to new users who are coming in.
I think they should use Linux (or, more specifically, GNU/Linux) because they care about the advantages it provides and value freedom, not because corporations are shilling on it.
what you're basically saying is "I want to have the freedom to restrict others freedom" which is contradictory.

ugh, can you just. like. not?

This entire thread is a fucking mess.

To the individual(s) in this thread who believe that steam should be compatible with linux, consider this.

If you desire to use steam, then stick to windows, because there is a great chance that your philosophy is similar to that of windows and similar closed-source software. I have noticed that there are primarily two types of people who migrate to GNU/Linux, those who come here because they are savvy and follow the GNU/Linux philosophy, and those who disregard the history and philosophy and come only to escape from government spying, while continuing to use closed-source software. We GNU/Linux users are abrasive because people need to learn to follow the rules and values of a community when attempting to integrate within it, instead of coming in and destroying the infrastructure because the original users were too "soft".

Linux has already shown the first stages of degeneration and is likely to follow windows if change does not occur soon. You can thank Apple and modern microsoft for allowing any idiot with an internet connection to get on the internet and spout their inane and trivial opinions, and people have become narcissistic and "dumbed-down" due to it.

Why haven't you left already? You have already caused chaos to ensue in this thread and have made little to no arguments to support your claims.

What claim did I make that is without support?

My bad if you are not the user I was directing the message at. I was directing at:

the creation and voulentary use of prop software does not remove peoples freedom because it never provided it in the first place.

and AGAIN for the LAST FUCKING TIME
if you dont want to use prop software,

D O N T U S E I T
O
N
T
U
S
E
I
T

spread your beliefs about libre software to the world, its what i do all the time
however i would like to point out some blatant hypocrisy there

you are the problem with the world,
when people are given ultimate freedom as with linux, theres always people like you who want to take it away and limit it under the guise of freedom protection or some shit like that.

great concept, i love it and agree with it, however its not how the real world works.
as i stated before we are at, or rapidly approaching the point where all the people who use linux for your provided reason /are using linux/ (dont misrepresent by stating that i somehow think new people will never be created or some shit like that) and because of that point, further recruitment requires providing incentives which for a lot of people involve supporting games which again brings up this issue where you're wanting to do some kind of normie conversion therapy or something absurd, people who are into artistic media creation will probably never give a shit about their OS or the freedom it does or does not provide, why? because they want to make artistic media, same goes for a fuck load of other interests

now dont misrepresent and claim that im saying they can never be interested or that they can never join linux comfortably, because thats completely wrong - example, krita
but the deal is that krita is an extremely rare case and even then its taking YEARS to develop and they survive off donations. in a socialist utopia (which i would love to live in) we wouldnt have these problems because everyone would support the stuff they wanted and everyone would be happy, but we dont live in one, we live in a corporatocracy where big business dominate the current market for things like creative media tools, so if we want more people in the group we need to support the tools they use to give them incentive to join, and then if you simply must convert them then we need tools that are equal / better to what they have and as i stated with the krita example thats fuckin hard to do m8.

all your points are 100% valid and i have and continue to consider them, however the issue is that these people want growth without incentive, they want people to join based on some philosophical epiphany which as i've said a million times has either already hit its peak or will soon.

the special part about linux is that all of your points could happen and we'd get the exact (fucking down to the microscopic level) same ecosystem we have today.

we would have :

it would just be built on linux. and we'd still have micro groups that fractured off, like bsd and whatever else.

So my point is that i dont see a good reason to try and protect linux from normies (reeee) because nothing would change other than general security of the population would go up and maybe there would be a few percent more tech savvy people around.

if you dont like it, make your own, because with linux its easy.

you are literally too dumb to live, take a step back and realize that restrictions on freedom are required to maintain everyones freedom.

oh and regarding your statement about me disregarding the history and philosophy of linux, i dont disregard them, i just choose not to be an autistic zealot.

i use linux for everything other than my separate dedicated gaymen computer thats only purpose is to play games on, interact with my personal community, and maybe watch a youtube meme video or something. literally all my other machines, from my router to my server to my system76 laptop to my linux desktop all use linux and they are nearly 100% libre save for a few dependencies i dont know about and some junk that snuck in.

however i dont go around to peoples houses, beat down their door and hold them hostage until they agree to use linux (aka i dont try and force people to use linux, and those people who do use linux i dont try to force them to use software i approve of)

i've done my fair share of trying to spread the religion, appealing to security and ethics, so dont think that im only here to be a corporate cuck that wants to exploit linux.

pure clinical autism and retardation.
didnt i tell you to leave earlier? what are you doing still up so late.

proprietary software is slavery

then dont use it.

its been said a dozen times in this thread.

Did you completely disregard all the points I made in my previous post? Linux would be destroyed if it became mainstream (Mainstream as in celebrities or memes). You realize that if windows didn't have spyware in it and it remained closed-source, there is an extremely likely chance that you wouldn't be on this website at this moment in time, and linux would be a somewhat exclusive community composed of those who are savvy and intelligent instead of what it is right now.

yeah, no, fuck outta here. I won't let other people be slaves either.

These are two things that are involuntary. The reason they are bad is because one party has no say over it and is victimised. Do you think that BDSM is rape or slavery? Probably not, since all parties have agreed that they're going to lock themselves in the cuck shed and get beaten with dildos. Similarly, in cases of assisted suicide, the doctor is not prosecuted for murder, since the patient agreed to die.

Users voluntarily use software that limits their ability to modify and distribute it. If people are forced to use proprietary software, then yes, that's bad, because the user has no say. However, if the user wants to use it, then they should be allowed.

I don't want to live in a world of only free software. I want to live in a world where people voluntarily use free software.

you're correct, there is a chance that i would have never gotten into computers if it wasnt for the freedom offered by linux and my dislike for windows HOWEVER i must point out again that your proposal will simply create a fractalization(?) of what we have now

there will be the majority
then the middle group
then the smallest elite group

it will just happen over and over and over and is happening within linux its self.

oops hit enter too soon.

cont.

there will ALWAYS be that elite group, its present in all groups within society and its a sociological fact.

Apparently learning about history and philosophy and abiding by the rules of a group makes you an autistic zealot. Linux is built around giving the user freedom and complete control, so instead of bringing fucking steam to linux, why don't we create our own game hosting company that is open source with licensing that allows distribution and less restrictions. The majority of game creators create the games with money in mind, and getting people to develop games for linux, a medium that is typically bad for raising income would be difficult and would require a good amount of convincing/informing.

Until then, gamers should stick to windows instead of trying to poison Linux.

thank you for pointing this out, but these people are both autistic retards and extreme zealots who dont understand how the real world functions.

they will argue that the mere existence of prop software will cause the destruction of libre software, its the same logic fundie christians use to argue for the eradication of gays and shit.

Linux IS that elite group, and nothing is wrong with the elite group having a caste system.

However, what you're striving for would "normalize" linux and would effectively destroy it. It would turn into windows v.2

well, its not open source but its DRM free, its called GOG.

and again you're missing my point about the constant unavoidable fractal that is social groups- even within the elite group there are groups that think that their even MORE elite so they break off and make their own thing, and then within that group there is an even MORE elite group

and just to be silly and use ad absurdum, i think you'll find that the TRUE elite group is the group of people who reject all technology and just use sticks and stones (but they dont make tools, as true elites use the source code :^) )

there is no voluntary use of proprietary software, they are coerced from birth into using it and are required to use it or they can't succeed. eg schools forcing kids to use microsoft windows.

you can only make a choice if you are informed as well. the common person is not informed and therefore cannot voluntarily use proprietary software.

see
where i describe what micronux lindows would be like.

and see the problem with the OP logic is that he wants linux to continue to grow, so if you're ok with linux staying at its current average size for the rest of its life, and you think its self sufficient enough (which it might just be) then ok, your points are completely valid, but if you want growth then it simply cant work the way you want it to.

and also heres just a thought for you to mull over

say theres a kid who as most kids do, enjoys video games
this child however has an interest in computers
on modern systems with current linux he doesnt have to choose one or the other, or be rich and have two computers,
he can install linux and pursue his dreams of becoming a great programmer AND play games with his social group.

in your desired world, that child would have to choose between pursuing education in tech, or playing games with his friends, and not to use the "PROTECT DA CHILDREN" argument but seriously, why put artificial limits on something that is meant to be limitless.

my case is very similar, when i was young i had the exact same situation and this was pre-steam on linux, but i was extremely fortunate because my dad kept our old computers so i could put linux on an old one and learn about stuff while keeping my modern computer to play games on, not everyone has that luxury.

there is no voluntary use of libre software, they're coerced by people like you that they are required to use it or they wont be pure and ethically clean.

firstly, ur dum.
second, children in school dont give two flying fucks about what software they write their god damn papers on because what child is going to pop open the hood and edit some code to tweak their document production software to their autistic likings.

third, you're making up this outrageous idea that

thats fucking stupid oh my god how do people like you function day to day let alone in society.

the only examples i can think of where using prop software is 100% required in regards to creating a document is really strangely formatted word documents, and form fillable PDF files that require adobe reader.

100% saved

motherfuckers just use a gpu passthrough vm and keep all your proprietary gaming shit on there like the rest of us

i've yet to find a method of doing this that doesnt involve serious kernel modification, do you know any easier methods?

free software does not restrict freedoms and therefore there's no basis for involuntary use

aka they are uninformed and made to use whatever is provided, they are involuntarily coerced. age of consent exist for sex, so should it for software.

the majority of truly informed people choose free software, this is no coincidence. the people who stick to proprietary software just have a slave mentality or Stockholm syndrome i believe.

how the fuck do you rationalize this?

in my experience using vfio kernel is pretty painless experience. also, that should only be necessary with nvidia cards.

there is ethically no difference

im 100% triggered right now

you do realize that the 8/16 logical registers aren't actual hardware registers? look up register renaming etc. Current x86 offerings from intel & amd have roughly 100 physical registers.

hey get out of here dude, we're not talking about engineering, sheesh.

If you believe that the current situation with proprietary software being forced down people's throats prevents users from voluntarily using it, then how can you argue that a world of only free software would be different? In that case, users would not voluntarily use free software, since by your own argument, they wouldn't know about or have access to proprietary software and would therefore be unable to 'choose' free software. In a truly free world, I should be free to do whatever I want as long as it doesn't hurt others. Why should you care if I'm playing a video game and can't modify it? You're not the one playing the game, so your freedoms aren't affected. You're just a nosy faggot who wants to tell people how to live.

free software does not violate peoples freedoms

proprietary software hurts others by denying them of their freedoms

why should I care if someone's a slave, why should I care if someone owns slaves?

because I have a functional moral compass and I speak up when I see something that violates peoples freedoms.

but linux violates my freedoms to make money in happy corporate utopia

i cant believe you're still falsely equating software use with taking away someones human rights.

see heres the difference you mindless twat

you can live without software, you can go innawoods or go live in the jungles of africa,

you cant live with fucking MURDER you CUNT BUCKET

and slavery prevents living how one wants to

i know you spend your days locked in your room at your mothers house and you dont have an understanding of how the world works but please, please just try to understand that you cant equate fucking software with death.

you are free to sell free software, you just cannot take others freedoms

You said that a since people have no choice but to use proprietary software, then they are involuntarily subjugated. In a world with only free software, then by your argument, they have no choice and are forced to use it. In such a world, I am prevented from giving up my freedoms. In today's world, we allow people to become sex slaves if they agree to it. Why should I be prevented from being a software slave if that's what I agreed to?

there is not a single company that specifically sells libre software. they sell services related to the software they push, you cannot sell libre software if it is truly libre because :

explain to me oh mighty one, how I protect the sales of my product without taking the freedumbs from you

what are you protecting the sales from, if people want it they'll buy it.

but why would they buy it if its free you hyper retard

oh wait i figured this out, you're a le trole.

i'm trying to protect my sales from templeOS, it is competition and needs neutering.

why would I buy a movie when I can just pirate it, or buy windows when I can just pirate it? Because the common user will still buy things and people who can see you are selling free software will be doubly inclined to buy from you.

in regards to proprietary software children are forced to use it, as well as uninformed adults using it. free software does not fit any basis of involuntary use because you do not give up any rights or consent to give it power over you.

if you are informed and an adult and you still choose to use proprietary software, then you luckily suffer a mental illness.

So instead of a common user, you're an autistic outier?

That clears things up.

likely*

I purchase free software if I have the option to do so.

Good. Now start purchasing proprietary software, because you have the choice.

this is just simply wrong, like its just incorrect.

first, a fuck load of people DONT buy movies, however a lot of people DO buy them because they view pirating as illegal, and they want to support the creators of the movie

so you could argue they they would buy the software to support the devs, weeeeeell because theres such a massive precedent that all linux development is done pro bono, really no one is gonna buy software

and also, if something is free, and there are no laws or rules or morals that condemn people who take it for free then everyone will take it for free, because people like money and why spend money on something i could literally have for free when i have bills to pay

provide a source showing libre software being sold in a non-donation form.

i didn't know laws were on the same level as religion now

w-what?

the fuck are you babbling on about now?

capnramses.itch.io/crongdor

then why do people pay for software now when they could just go to piratebay?

Not_an_argument.png

holy FUCKERINO consider my BTFO'd
a fucking barbarian game on itchi.io has proven to me that you can sell software and be successful.

damn,

now to be fair you did do as i asked but honestly it only serves to bolster my argument, as this developer is a one man team posting his game on itchi.io and i can guarantee that he does not live off the profits of that game.

scale the team up past that, turn the development into a business and it simply doesnt work - also that guy states that you have to purchase the game to download it however i could just go find a copy somewhere else and play it, what incentive other that altruistic bullshit (that doesnt exist) to give him money?

i could do that for any game regardless of license, im not sure what your point here is

now listen here you, this is a fascist chan.

national socialism is still socialism

hitler would have liked free software

he just wouldn't like gays, the disabled, the jewish, and the romani to have it. i dunno which category you fall into but i can make a measured assumption.

pol detected, please vacate the board.

whooops didnt link the right person

no pol here

oh really? then explain why when i use my /poltard/ detector software i get pic related?

cute jape, i fuck niggers btw

Don't shoot the messenger!

signed. thanks for taking the effort to do this. I can't be bothered to care most of the time, even though I agree with the whole of the free software ethical stance

It's like everyone forgets that people crack proprietary games and share it via torrent.
Do they eat tin can ?
The company is selling it and still does shit tons of money.

Implying that wanting to bring freedom to others via pacific ways via not using x spying product is a zealot way.
That where you are wrong kido.
It's not a religion.
It a technical solution for having control of our tools.
And with such freedom of use in these tools you build anything.
I will never be a religious or ideological system.
It's the normal way of life that our ancestors had before anything began to be restricted.
They didn't have hammers that would magically stop them from building anything.

Please compare:
-You can't make modification in this imposed system .
-You can make modification in this imposed system.

Please compare:
-I want to correct a bug in that software that I can't modify
-I want to correct a bug in that software that I can modify

Please compare:
-I want to live in a world where I can't modify the things that I own
-I want to live in a world where I can modify the things that I own

Now, eat shit

sorry

But it's still an imposed system, regardless of whether it's better. You may not care, but I'd rather live in a world where I can decide for myself which system is better, rather than be flatly denied access to alternatives because the people in charge adhere to a certain philosophy.

But in this hypothetical situation, you're not the one playing the game. I am. Me not caring about my freedoms doesn't necessarily prevent you from exercising yours (although sometimes in the real world, this is sadly the case). Just because you may not own a gun, doesn't mean I can't.

So do I, but someone who doesn't care about their freedoms should be free to not exercise them. In other words, people should be allowed to use proprietary software if they want to.

More likely of laziness and untrained brain to process information properly.

In that case I choose the system where I can murder you and make a child to your bride.

it's not a philosophy, but that's just my pov.

If you don't have the freedom to excess yourself that means others can't either have excess them.

When you have the four freedom you still can choose to used them or not.
The good thing is that you don't impose others.

Your in a illogical loop m8

Someone who doesn't care in their own freedom shouldn't ave to make others have no choice about it.

Sorry for the typos I am tired.
Good day user.

forget about this

This proves what winfags have said for years

Linux is nothing more than a fat neckbeards hobby of pretending hes some special ebin guy for defying the government before his mom croaks and leaves him to starve downstairs.

Enjoy your vault #7

Hi Microsoft

it's interesting how they also seem to exploit the 7 deadly sins

didn't mean that to sound like a vault 7 reference

dank meme brother!

Only affects the Linux kernel because of binary blobs.
You could use Linux-Libre or deblob the Linux kernel.
install gentoo which allows deblob

Steam has evolved well past the point of simply being a barrier to entry of first party games. It is very userfriendly so I consider it a service, and it is responsible for nearly every single Linux port available right now, yeah tell me about those three GOG games they actually bothered to include a Linux DOSBox binary in. I would like Steam to change, maybe to at least just allow you to use Steam from your webbrowser, it is already mostly just a fucking webbrowser anyways, but it isn't like it is anywhere close to the worst distribution platform as it is

To be honest games are the only kind of software I accept to pay money for. Since they exist to tell a story rather than to serve a utility, I treat them as art rather than as a tool.

That being said, I think DRM in its current state is absolute trash, but I see it more as an inconvenience than a deal breaker.

Other argument is that pirated games often have malware and I don't have time to check every single thing I download.

Richard stallman believes in the art in the games can be proprietary, but that the software must still be free seeing as that it exectures on your system and you should be able to know what it's doing.

Fuck off, gay ben.

free software isn't socialism

what's the point when you just can cram it into wine or playonlinux

Who cares. If normies want gaming and they can't get it on linux, they will stay on windows.

free hardware reinforces free software

i think a non-ME, free, x86 parity processor would do 10000x more than getting rid of steam

making hurd better would also help

all RYF projects are critical

Trips of truth
I can't believe the retardation on this thread

So why did you bump it?

You're right, sorry.

I just used it to get DOOM 3 assets. They really ought to put that up on GOG.

The main reason Wine usually has worse performance than Windows is that nearly all the games have to run through a DX > OGL translation layer.

Keep the assets non-free. Even RMS could live with that, and you are no more at risk than you'd be with any other DRM-free game.

This.

You have autism.

This is like saying the consitution limits the governments freedom. Technically true, but a net good for freedom overall.

Both are Unix-like, but deep down they are radically different: Minix has a microkernel, Linux is a monolithic kernel. Tanenbaum in fact was irked that his student chose to use an inferior design!

How are microkernels any good? They are a real mess on AROS.

Not unless you compile Wine and Mesa with a D3D9 stack and Gallium driver, but non-Gentoo users wouldn't know about that.

wine-staging-gallium is in the AUR.

And you. Yeah. It's just us in the "DirectX on Linux" club.

Didn't sign, lol.

You can perfect the microkernel by itself by the virtue of being small in scope.

This, OP is a fag as usual and shortsighted.

KYS SJW
Nothing is standing in your way of running pure GPL software on your own machine. Fucking fascist is what you are.