Post tech that you miss

post tech that you miss.

Other urls found in this thread:

mouser.com/Embedded-Solutions/RF-Wireless-Modules/WiFi-80211-Modules/_/N-6l7qa?P=1z0jdef
okidata.com/printers/impact
buyfags.moe/Special_services
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Manly farm equipment.

mmmm i loooooove this feel

Leno has one of those tractors, or one very much like it. Cool stuff

what a huge faggot

Virtual Reality.

GSM Cell phones! So many cool designs and such a vast choice. Monophonic ringtones and monochrome screens give me that 90s comfy feel

Is good developers and common sense technology ?

sexist pig

b-but le user! is that not what 4chinchin is made of? le dank maymays!?

in general i miss websites that didn't employ much java script and didn't have such a bloated "user experience" to them. when you come across a site that loads ultra fast because there's no ads and bullshit, its like a breath of fresh air.

All of them from 99 or later.

CRT monitors. The best colors and the best ratio.

omg noooooo!
those shit used to give me awful headaches

Aureal 3D sound cards.

Creative killed them through sleaze, bought out what was left of the company, patented all the good stuff and left it to rot for 20 years while they shat $0.10 software-mixing HDA chips in our face at 5000% markup.

We're only now regaining what was lost in the form of AMD's TrueAudio gimmick, and that's tied to the GPU.

Delete yourself

Manly keyboards. I know you can still get them, but their harder to come by.

I had one of these until the end of 2011 when my provider forced me to upgrade. People made fun of it, but it was the best damn phone ever. Every phone since then has sucked balls.

I'll agree with Best colors and ratio, but CRTs were shitty.

I snagged a 1600 res mac crt almost new and it was awesome when I plugged it into my laptop. As soon as I plug itinto my desktop its dark as fuck and software settings only wash it out...
I know its because of apples proprietary bs so now Im considering buying a powerpc mac just so I can change the fucking settings in it...

palmtops. Now only the chinese make really shitty ones and nobody else.

Hipsters get out

I guess I wanted to counteract the "crt is shitty" comment, but very unsuccessfully. I see a couple of sub 100 Mac PCs in my area but I may be on a wild goose chase.
There should be a thread for successful attempts at connecting and using old tech with modern systems

Except smartphones are just glorified PDAs.

i disagree, Windows mobile was in a different league.

I actually have and still use an axim pocketpc.
One of the few things I don't have to worry about tracking me, it's so out of date though that the wifi capability is essentially useless, can't update it to browse mobile sites. Probably wouldn't help if it could be updated to browse mobile sites, with how little memory the thing has, it would probably freeze after trying load a thousand ads and jscript.
Been trying to find my fold-up keyboard for it but it seems to be lost in my collection of junk.

Desperately wanted to locate one of these little beauties, but thus far I can only find them on japanese auction sites and I can't read moon runes.

Get an Unicomp, about $100 and worth every cent.

They died too soon. -Not enough botnet.

If we're going to talk about obsolete phones, at least let's talk about some good and interesting ones. Not crap like the original iPhone that was not even a real smartphone (although the design was certainly far ahead of anything else at the time).

Pic related, the most beautiful stillbirth ever: the Nokia N9. All reviewers praised it to the stratosphere, the damn thing was pretty much the best smartphone of all time. But Nokia's madman CEO, Microsoft-planted Stephen Elop, had already announced they were going full steam ahead with Winblows Phony, and no more MeeGo devices would be made, no matter how desperately consumers demanded it.

I can see every CRT monitor vibrate/flicker no matter the setting plus they give off that weird high pitched noise and interference when I'm using cellular phones near it. I agree with the colors though.

this. That spiral wire brings back a lot of memories.

try to hack it.

Symbian is life.
I actually wanted to get my hands in one of those but they're nowhere to be found.

The N9 seems to be pretty common on eBay (assuming they're the real deal and not imitations).

Was your refresh rate too low? I never went lower than 85 or 90 hz.

i tryed everything up to 120, same result.
my eyes can still pick up the light variations and it caused me sever pain.
back in the day, i couldn't use my pc for more than 2hours.

now i can spend +10H no problem.

I miss that 15kHz whine

I still use mine daily. It's dead, and has zero support, but it's a great paperweight.

OLED apparently has similar quality, so in 5-10 years as they begin to become more common it won't be much of an issue anymore.

If I can get one of those shipped to Canada, I might do so the next keyboard that dies on me. Those old keyboards are just so comfy to type on.

I think I used to run mine at 75Hz without any problems for years, I can't remember though. Tried to use one recently and all I got was a massive headache like you.

gtfo

16:10 isn't dead, you're just a poorfag

Maybe but now they make devices for normalfags. Just look at windows desktop OS

just use smartphone in offline / airplane mode. no tracking

then show me 16:10 VA monitor
inb4 why VA

Model and where can I get one?

I don't think so, mister nsa agent.

Put Linux on it, use Links in graphic mode as your browser, and have fun. I have a Zippit Z2 with a similar processor and 32 MB of RAM and it has no problem with sites that don't need JS and don't have tree style posting (reddit for example) or other major parts of the site dependent on CSS to work. Wifi shouldn't be a problem unless you're talking about using modern encryption as I can still use my DS which had the original plain 802.11 standard wifi. This site claims to have SDIO compatible B/G/N wifi cards so you could look into upgrading your Axim to full modern wifi capabilities as well if you wanted, I'm pretty sure PDAs mostly supported SDIO cards:
mouser.com/Embedded-Solutions/RF-Wireless-Modules/WiFi-80211-Modules/_/N-6l7qa?P=1z0jdef

The brand is fucking stamped on it right above the keyboard. If you can't find it from that then you don't deserve one and I know you didn't even try searching it if you're asking.

Last I checked, nobody made real any progress getting linux to run on the axim, well beside getting it to start up and run briefly before it crashed.

You'll have your IPS and you'll like it

Minini PCs that have better keyboards than most new laptops today.

Modern versions of "dumb" terminals a-la VT-100 and friends would fit nicely into some modern niches like administering headless servers (iirc in professional environments we use some weird proprietary stack instead, with it's own hardware, cables, connectors and code, not something you'd be able to play at home reasonably) or controlling your /diy/ hardware (running a terminal emulator on powerful workstation just to talk to some avr microcontroller on a protoboard is okay as a temporary solution, but it isn't an option if you want to make something more long term)

Heeey, floppies, aka removable rewriteable file storage you actually can hold in your hands.
Very good form-factor, keeps disk from scratches and dust, you can write on 'em, can put 'em in a stack near your PC, can carry 'em in a pocket.
Not to mention symbolic look, or security benefits of air-gaping your data.

If not for low speed, capacity and reliability it would be perfect way to handle your stuff, and those problems are solved today by modern flash memory.
But since we have so much internal storage right now, and the Cloud(tm) storage is omnipresent, the whole market of external data storage seems to have died off.
We have either portable usb hard-drives, which are not really the same, or microSDs, and fuck the microSDs.

Magneto-optical disks used similar design to floppies, MiniDisks looked really cool.
Why CDs decided to ditch them in favor of horrible always breaking jewel cases is a mystery to me. Because they came from audio side of market and were mimicking audio tape cassettes?

I like looking at ads for these old phones.
How could you use WAP on a monochrome screen that small? Then again, I remember back in 2004 how amazed people would be that I could load up websites on my flip phone, but that had a larger screen resolution.

Best fucking phones EVER. Especially the M-series!

Pic related is the one I am gonna use when my N900 finally dies.

Another vote for PDAs. I was watching full-screen-full-framerate video on my Tungsten for like 2-3 years before the first iPod Video. I could do the cross-development thing on the 68k and Arm Palms without Judaism getting in the way too.

what PDA used the 68k ?

AMOLED/OLED is crap and whitepoint becomes yellowish after few years plus the whites can burn the fuck out of pixels leaving annoying permanent ghost.

Really? Damn, I really wanted one. I didn't hear about this at all.

What about OLET?

Can you use this thing for texting as well? I don't know shit about smart phones or anything, but I know that I hate my smart phone and something like this would be fucking perfect.

IPS is better than OLED but can still be bad depending on quality (if it's shiny and too much 'screenbleeding')

Not really sure about my info though but I have to tell you that I was referring to SAMSUNG products specifically but the fact that they're the largest OLED manufacturer already speaks of how OLED is a joke. Deep blacks is also a meme and you will rather get 'bad and very dark gamma'.
For a quick experiment try looking for an old samsung OLED phone and see how yellow the whitepoint is by now.

Samsung is bad like their SSD/HDDs that suck and have very high crash rate.

were they released yet? if it's samsung then it goes to trash

Not sure, but I thought they were, so that probably means no they're not.

FUD

Tape storage. The tape industry has always tried as hard as possible to distance itself from fair prices, with each new consumer tape standard (compact audiocassette, VHS, 8mm, DAT, DV) forcing them back into the realm of sanity, sometimes directly (8mm and AIT, DAT and DDS). Now that there are no more consumer tape formats and the only practical market for tape is data backup, they've taken it as an invitation to crank prices to the squeaking point.

Tapes are now >$100 each if purchased individually, and drives usually thousands of dollars, in spite of which they still just beat HDDs in price at volume. This lack of pressure allows HDD/flash prices to remain high, and makes mainframe"cloud" storage seem financially attractive.

It's painfully obvious that today's 12TB tapes could be made at $10 and drives for $150, but nobody in any part of the storage sector wants to upend the applecart.

Like he said, the original PalmPilots. Interestingly, most of Motorola's phones up through the RAZR series also did. It's one of the things that made me most buttmad about "modern" programmers, since they had hardware roughly equivalent to a Mac II or Quadra, yet their software felt like a toy in terms of speed and features.

OLET isn't out of the lab yet, same as quantum dot and SED/FED.

As opposed to LCDs, which have atrocious whites, blacks, grays, colors, uniformity, motion, and framerate fresh off the assembly line? I'm betting you also complained about "burn-in" on plasma and turn your nose up at e-ink.

one of my friend had this, it was an odd mix between a k7 and CD player.
the good thing was you could record anything you want on it, the bad thing was the quality wasn't much better than a k7.
it was 100% analog

Was watching Techmoan's video on YouTube just this morning (pretty much my only source on this subject, a few glances at the wiki not counting), he says there were almost no prerecorded MiniDisc releases on the market, you had to copy audio from other source yourself.
There were almost no Hi-Fi hardware either, just portables.
And I assume they were never used as a general data storage media for computers either.
Portable audio and at-home recording enthusiasts seems to be really narrow niche, what the fuck were they thinking?

Also, proprietary DRM-ed software, blergh.

Wut? You can't write analog on a MiniDisc.
(But they used some seriously lossy compression to fit more audio on the disk at the early days, making sound quality quite poor.)

Also, what's k7? google only gives me some Berlin indie recording label.

MD is da shit.

t. used a N510 for years before getting a N900 with Rockbox.

audio tapes.

What is that nigger doing on the packaging?

As it should be. GPUs are the perfect computing unit for processing audio.

The more striking point is that modern game devs read: "SJW hipster faggots" don't give a hoot about audio quality anymore. There is no market to make use of that tech.

I'm still sporting mine.
**In case it dies, I have a spare one tucked in my closet.*

Fuck me and my spoiler.

That's usually due to crappy video card output. Quality high-frequency analog circuits are expensive to produce, so back in the day you needed to spend a pretty penny on a high-end video card if you wanted stable image at high resolutions and refresh rates. Today, VGA-out is considered a legacy compatibility feature for poorfags and every modern(ish) card either ditched it altogether or has utter crap quality VGA that barely works to cut costs.
The only place you can (sometimes) find quality VGA outputs these days is in business laptops. Lots of big corpos have conference rooms with ceiling projectors and VGA cable runs built into walls that are too expensive to replace.

Show me a 16:10 4k display made in the last ten years faggot.

Remember when every futuristic game had PDAs and we thought PDAs would be the future? Well we were only half wrong.

Dot matrix printers, anyone?

They're still in production and in use wherever high print volume is required. While their print quality is shit, you really can't beat them on printing cost and reliability. No other tech comes even close.
okidata.com/printers/impact

Microprocessors are so cheap today that it doesn't make any sense to make pure dumb terminals anymore. A full-blown computer costs barely more to produce and has vastly more uses - which increases sales volume and offsets extra costs due to economies of scale.
Same reason Ethernet hubs were replaced by switches everywhere.

You mean phone-sized tablets?

Late reply.
What model of monitor are you using and what connection does it use?
I've used an ADC monitor sucessfully for a few years without issue. Also if you're looking for a PPC Mac you should be able to pick up something like a G4 for less than $20.

buyfags.moe/Special_services
This /a/ site explains how to buy items from YAJ with a proxy.

Why would he do this. He had an iPhone.

I also have an Axim X30 and I really want to use it but like you said, WiFi is a bitch. I don't really know what the problem is, I can load basic static sites but it takes forever.

In some languages, "k7" sounds like "cassette".

Do they make analog oscilloscopes still?

is this thread still up?

I don't miss that stupid 15625Hz noise pollution. It was so prominent (because fucking TVs are very common) that it even creeped into many music recordings, you can actually hear than HF hum there. if you are not elder

because he had an iphone, iphone owners have no qualms about burning money, they never learned the value of a dollar, and they have a disposable mindset because they are forced to get a new iphone every few months
in short, they're cunts

my axim can't even access sites, I think because the certs need to be updated on it or some shit, I have to try connecting it to windows in a vm to see if I can update it, I somehow at least got it connected to my network, configuring wifi on it is so strange that I had to save a guide for it

Palmtops.

A nokia 3310 is still my phone. When my galaxy S2's battery died I figured i didn't use it for the smartphone part so I just dug out the nokia. Battery still had 3 weeks worth of charge.

step it up.

Don't tractors now have DRM?

Out the fucking wazoo. It's horrifying.

I never had a nextel. In fact nobody i knew ever did

-firefug taking less than 20 seconds to start
-when firefug didn't add 9000 "features" per second because some trendy hipsters want to build more irrelevant bullshit on .io domains
-being able to browse the web without half the pages saying ATTENTION REQUIRED ONE MORE STEP ONE MORE STEP ONE MORE STEP
-being able to login to my web accounts with my 50 character password - now i have to fill out a bunch of forms "proving" it's really me for realz this time
-email services that let you signup without a phone
-websites that allow you to sign up without an email
-captchas that aren't recaptcha
-recaptcha when it was just a string (but not when it was utter gibberish for the last 5 years or so before changing to these image challenges)
-being able to play my single player games and multiplayer games with merely the CD and a CD-key, respectively
-not having to worry about all my games being stolen in one fell swoop - now this is possible because they're all under a single Steam account - yes Steam - the program that had a vuln where you could steal anyone's account by merely pressing "reset password"
-being able to install video card drivers without some Value Added Social Media Content Platform coming with it (ati and nvidia both have this)
-GTK not looking and performing like an iphone or some similar bullshit
-vehicles without ECUs and other dubious practically unvetted bullshit the government shoves down your throat because it's the future or it's green or stops drunk drivers from killing themselves or whatever

I miss exotic hardware, all the different microcomputers and workstations of the 70's through early 90's. Also simpler machines in general, without stuff like ACPI and USB. And I miss games that came in nice boxes with maps and manuals. I stopped buying them after they stopped doing that. Anyway I always liked sprites more than 3D.
Oh, and 4:3 screens, that's kind of a big deal for me. I can't take seriously any modern computer...

I miss my Creative Nomad JukeBox Zen Xtra.

old thinkpads

I miss 4:3 monitors.

I think I'm the only one that agrees with you. but that's just because nostalgia of sitting at my dad's computer desk learning how linux works on an old computer he gave me back in the 90's.

I miss firefox not ramping up to 6gb of memory usage just because of a few tabs are open all day. I can restart firefox at night, open 6 tabs, and by the time I wake up the next day firefox is using >4gb of memory.
I think it might just be from 8ch though, with the auto-update, problem is I can't just hit f5 on a few threads and reduce the memory usage, no it stays exactly the same even if I go and close the tabs. I don't know what the fucking deal is but closing firefox is the only way free up that memory.

I miss laptops with wacom digitizers.
Not this retarded touch pad shit, actual fucking digitizers.
TC4400 for example.

I miss tech without 'CLOUD'
I miss tech without PC & Apple, Microsoft & pajeets

4:3 sperg is right. 4:3 is the superior aspect ratio. I'm never giving up my 4:3 monitor.

It's like poetry

They're bright as fuck. I was fine when I turned the brightness way down. i don't get much sunlight though

16:10? it's not that bad. 16:9 is a pure shit. Picture related.

16:9 is useless for anything but watching movies. kys.

How the fuck does this happen to you? I'm usually running 2-4 separate Tor Browser instances at the same time with a bunch of tabs opened and each instance takes around 500MB. This is on a 4GB system, so yeah it eats a lot of my memory but it's still not as extreme as you report. My problem is more in the fact that it never decreases the memory usage even if I close all tabs and reset the session.

N6xx masterrace represent! Bought a N610c earlier today with the intention of making it into a N630c. (N610 chassis + N620c mobo)

I have a compaq evo n1000q that serves me to this day as a media center and emulator box running gentoo. I swapped the default pentium for some 2.2ghz one and It now has 1536MBs of ram (default 1GB).
That thing is great it can read floppies, CDs, DVDs, and some old memory card standard that I forgot the name of, it has an infrared port and it's just easily upgradable in general. You can easily swap everything including the cpu and the gpu, in fact I had gotten mine without a cd/dvd drive at first but then i stuck in the drive of another compaq computer. The design is just great, it's a no faggot shit shoebox and it has a bunch of ports in the rear. It came with a 27.3gb hard drive but I also swapped it for a 80GB one at some point. Come to think of it I think I only didn't upgrade the GPU on the thing and that's because I had a ps2 and a PC for gaming, and the GPU worked just fine. They really don't make 'em like they used to.

First computer I used had 4mb RAM.

First Computer I used had 8kb of RAM... yes 8kb...

Vic-20?

I don't really miss tapes (except for audio), but floppies in the 80's and early 90's were pretty nice. That is, until they started bloating the software so it couldn't fit on reasonable number of disks. Later on floppies got unreliable too, when they outsourced all production to China.
It's funny, but for me a lot of things were better before 1995, and this is only one of the reasons. There was also a lot more variety in computer hardware, and most were simple enough to program directly in assembly. The games weren't all mostly 3D crap, or remakes. The demoscene was actually cool, and hacking/phreaking wasn't all commercialized bullshit. Also, dialup BBS all over the place.

Oh wow, so that's what fucking happened. I always wondered why it was only later on that I had problems with those things.

That had a whole 3kb to use.

First computer I used had 1kb of RAM... yes 1024bytes.

True user. That explains a lot. The earlier disks still worked and didn't open up like an oyster spitting out a pearl from being in your bag like the Chinese ones.

When the cheap disks came out floppy cases became popular too, in order to protect them.

not old enough

This was fucking retarded. The floppy itself is a case for the magnetic disk inside. Why would you put a case inside a case?

I think I still have the box with original Windows 95 installation media somewhere 47 FLOPPIES
I still remember the pain...