Are computer books worth the $$$?

I am learning the blue pedobear language and I am pondering if buying physical books is worth it.

Seems like a waste of money on one hand, on another I can see myself focusing more on a physical book.

What is the consensus?

Other urls found in this thread:

libgen.io/
gen.lib.rus.ec/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why would you buy the physical book, when You can Buy an Ebook and get it instantly ?

stick to the "international editions" you can find on eBay (same shit, english and all, just more shoddily bound) for 1/10th the price

ISHYGDDT. just pirate the damn thing

There are few computer books worth having a physical copy of, but language manuals like that are updated so frequently that it will only be useful as bonfire kindling in a few years. Save your money, especially since books have never been easier to pirate. Use the money you saved to buy non-tech books instead.

depends on what book. If its something like SICP yeah go for it, but if it's something like learn Javascript on Rails over the course of a dinner date by Ganjar Poointheloo skip out on it

Libgen.

Books are only good if you're looking for comfort. If you don't mind reading from a screen for hours then go with ebooks

Books are an out dated technology.
If you need to keep an achive of 9999999 books then its a good idea to keep them as text.
Modern day video streaming allows peole to learn by watching videos online.

Reading physical books is not replacable by "watching videos online". If you weren't a nigger and actually read a book, you would realize this.

What purpose do lectures surve if reading books is the most important aspect of learning?

Face it books are created to preserve knowledge through time. They are not all that great for learning about new concepts.

Nice straw man, faggot. No where did I say books were the most important aspect of learning. Lectures obviously serve a purpose because one must listen to the spoken words of others more knowledgable than themselves. That doesn't make books less important.

Wow, you really seem to be on to something here.

Maybe you're not good at learning from books, because you're a fucking nigger.

Enjoy your 'books' while me and my BBC have sex

pozzed loads niggerfaggot

What is the consensus?
Do whatever works best for you.

This. There are books worth reading, and then there are book worth owning. The ones worth owning are about timeless principles that are not bound to the current flavour of the month language or framework. Books worth reading are the ones littering library shelves with topics like "Beginner's guide to Basic". If you really want to read Javascript on Rails over the course of a dinner date by Ganjar Poointheloo get it from the library or get the ebook.

No go.
Frankly, the only books worth buying are ones like Knuth's AOCP, because they'll still be relevant in 10 years.

I concur with some other responses here. I'd spend money on physical books for actual computer science and mathematics topics, possibly even classic language manuals like K&R C, but for any "modern" meme language/framework I wouldn't spend a dime on shit, preferring to google for free ebooks/official documentation or pirating ebooks.

Unless you have a book that is maintained via version control software, in which case you're false because the author can change a book on a daily basis and everybody can see the changes.

Harder to monetize such book though, but possible. Although authors of such ebooks usually post those books for free on Github and such.

are you 12?

like this user said
For SICP and The little schemer you can jump on it it's never going to be wasted.

People that age watch youtube tutorials with dank background music on how to install winrar within an hour.
Get with the times, grandpa.

When you are completely new to a concept its best to watch the action being done. You cant read pages of a book and understand exactly what does what.

That being said some sites that do educational videos tend to hire retards tha t just read text from a book and pretend they are giving you a hands on example

You can easily flick through a book's pages, which is a prerequisite if you're skimming or prereading the book. Also, you won't have the issue of trying to fit a page to a screen so it can be read comfortably without ommiting a lot of text. But it really doesn't make a difference otherwise: reading from a book doesn't make you any more attentive than you'd be reading from a screen. You might be less likely to get distracted since books don't have, say, internet access. But it's really a minor plus.

On the other hand, I'm not sure you'll do any skimming. Save 30 bucks and pirate yourself a digital copy of your book.

Which is why the simpler books on the subject put you into action right away.
I'm not saying educational videos are bad, just that most of it (especially about programming on youtube) is of really bad quality, and only applicable for anything more than the first two hours of first contact with your first programming language. After that, you'll need books and the internet to look shit up you keep forgetting, instead of scrolling through useless videos.
It is, however, how youngsters do shit nowadays.

I find it significant. I did not realize how poorly i was using my time.

from my experience you don't even have to torrent it, there's a lot of college/uni sites that have PDFs you can download, and it's usually one of the top search results.

Library Genesis is amazing
libgen.io/
gen.lib.rus.ec/

Books alone will generally only get you so far. I have to use the internet because books (especially the ones everyone thinks are great like K&R) are usually so outdated they're borderline useless.

What shit is this? There are tons of newer C books than K&R, plus the standard itself is in book format.
Do you watch videos to read about Intel or ARM opcodes? No, you flip through their books. They have TOC and index, and can find the info you need quickly.