Editor/theme thread

Which editor/theme are you using?
This is NOT a shitflinging thread I just want to expand my horizon.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aisuqNIzXCs
youtube.com/watch?v=UwLbxUCXKE0
github.com/icymind/NeoSolarized
dotshare.it/dots/969/
thomer.com/vi/vi.html
pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/vi.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend_and_extinguish
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

vim. Did i expand your horizon?

A little, you forgot the theme though.

vibrantink

Emacs, with the Leuven theme.

colorscheme lucius
set background=dark

Geany, considering switching to qemacs.

wut?
Maybe if you center the horizon at the vertical middle of your field of view, then it will always stay at eye level. But if you look directly forward, it will slowly descend as you rise.

You don't have to say "look directly forward", that's implied in the term eye level to which the horizon will always rise. If it sank, it would be called hosinkon.

thank you jesus

but that demonstrably isn't true. the more up you go, eventually the horizon goes down. Unless you look towards it. Your pictures seem to be implying the horizon rises with you

You always look towards it, because it's always at eye level.
That's what i said. You have never ever looked up or down to the horizon, because the horizon is not an object, it's the dividing line between the sky and the earth and always at eye level.

Sorry, you appear to be confused
youtube.com/watch?v=aisuqNIzXCs

Yeah, i don't think so. Post an actual video, where the horizon is below the person taking the video or get out.
Vid related, horizon at eye level during take-off & flight
youtube.com/watch?v=UwLbxUCXKE0

You're confused. The horizon is an imaginary line, it is not real and that's why it always appears to be at eye level. It's basic geometry.

GNU Emacs with moonman-theme which eliminates pozzed syntax highlighting and makes you actually read the code.

>>>/flat/

heh nice one fam

I use Neovim with Solarized. It's actually NeoSolarized, but the colors are the same, it's just better maintained.
github.com/icymind/NeoSolarized

Such a beautiful church, and instead of restoring it they built this ugly beehive thing next to it.

So at 0, 10, 100, 1000, 10000 and 100000 km above the surface it always stays at eye level, huh? Or is there a magical altitude at which the Earth suddenly becomes a ball under your feet?

wow, those new churches are complete garbage and abominations to God. post more beautiful churches to repent for their unholy sins

churches are technology

and beautiful sage

Vim with the default theme, but my terminal theme is smear by dcat: dotshare.it/dots/969/

Wow, you're not lying, that actually is some very beautiful architecture.

Too bad there wasn't one with out the tombstones. It honestly though looks really comfy.

thomer.com/vi/vi.html
I don't use any themes or whatever. Just white text on black. Have tweaked my .exrc a bit, but not much.

I'm using atom in vim mode with indentation guides.

spacemacs

it's emacs with vim bindings + a bunch of logical bindings starting with SPC + a bunch of extensions + some autoupdate shit.

I like the keybindings but disabled most of the extensions, and the documentation sucks/is nonexistent.

Vim but specifically nvim because replacing old new vi with something with better designed internals would probably be good right?

Heavily customized GNU Emacs with Prelude and the Solarized Light theme, minus the piss background color

Can you post your init.vim?

Neovim with gruvbox.

That's not my screenshot, it's from the NeoSolarized repository.

I just use nano for everything
I don't understand why people use shit like emacs and vim.
nano just werks

Same, it's just autism.

Because Emacs and vim can do more. If you want to automate repetitive actions, or automatically run your code through compilers and linters and highlight messages in your code, or get an intelligent auto-complete based on all the other text in your editor, or want your undo history to be kept in a graphical tree, or any of a huge number of other things, then nano won't be enough but Emacs will be. It comes with a ton of useful features and it lets you easily add a lot more by installing third-party code.

If you only edit casually and occasionally the switch might not be worth the autism, but it's a sensible choice if you do more.

There's actually a patch for this for Nano, I'm using it right now.

Ed just works everywhere, even on systems where terminal is fucked, or hardware teletypes.

Pleb.

ed is great for those environments, and I occasionally have used it when my terminal emulation was dumb beyond belief, but I have no interest in using it when something visual is available.

top b8

Ed is going to make a comeback. In this age of botnet, people are going to haul back in the old dot-matrix printers that have been stashed in their garage for 20 years, and use them as they TTY stdout instead of the new-fangled spying monitors.

oh shit my sides were not prepared for this

Visual Studio Code + Monokai Dimmed

Don't knock it..

Daily reminder that ed is the standard text editor.

If the price for an actually not-shit text editor is that I have to change a setting if I actually care to disable anonymous usage statistics, I'd pick the decent text editor any day.

master kek

this pic makes literally no sense, also you could just jump and climb up from that ledge on the other side and get there. all the cross (or Jesus) is doing is making it slightly easier for adults because no jumping and impossible for children.

It's not magical. It's exactly 1488 feet above the earth.

That is shitty and messy.

I'm a vim-jerk

Leave Holla Forums forever

He said he turns it off, though

I actually decided to give vscode a shot a couple of weeks ago just for shits and giggles and I use it every day now.

No excuse. If you use that shit, you don't belong here.

Are you aware that it's FOSS? You can check the commit where they removed it.

nano / np++
solarized

Doesn't matter if it is FLOSS or not.
Firefox is FLOSS and Mozilla finds its way to screw you regardless of that.

If you are willing to use a shitty browser-based editor written in shitty JavaScript by shitty street dwellers at Microsoft,
you are no better piece of poo than your editor of choice. Consider suicide.

Also we should improve Holla Forums rules by adding an anti-retardation clause, and banning you niggers once and for all.
You people are so fucking disgusting, you deserve rape.

It has no place in a text editor to begin with, It makes no difference whether they removed it or not. They're just trying to get people like you used to the concept of having 'anonymous' telemetry in every single program. Don't be surprised when it's silently readded in a few years. You're a windows user anyhow, so what do you care?

Of course it matters. A shitty editor that verifiably doesn't spy on you and is free software is much better than a shitty proprietary editor that does spy on you.

If VS Code is what people want to use I don't care as long as they disable telemetry.

I use GNU Emacs on a vrms-compliant Debian system, but nice try.

It's been a while since I saw autism this severe.

Don't blow anything up now.

Varg, is that you?

FOSS matters because you're supposed to fork it when you want it. It's your own fault if you refuse to do anything about your software.

vim + zenburn/evening/inkpot depending on filetype

what do you do if working in sunlight?

Just the vi (nvi) that comes with OpenBSD.

standard coloured (its ugly i know) spacemacs

Since I use Atom (fuck me amiright) I really like the Nucleus Dark UI theme and the pre-installed One Dark theme.

mg >
But that's nice of them to provide both as default.

Why would you use that slow-ass piece of hipster shit?

I think it's mostly a matter of taste (I hate emacs-style chords, but can live with the vi modes). However, there is one other thing: vi, ex, and ed are in POSIX standard.
pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/vi.html

Based

"People don't know that vi was written for a world that doesn't exist anymore" - Bill Joy
"One of the good things about EMACS, though, is its programmability and the modelessness" - Bill Joy
I'm sorry, but you got meme'd, kiddo.

Anyway, here are my two main editors.

vi was written to be usable over a shitty modem connect from home where every extra byte you send matters. Getting work done with fewer keystrokes is still a good thing, so modes are great. He is right about programmability, but Vim and Nvim are programmable as well.

Writing some stupid quote doesn't prove anything. I deal with reality, and in this physical world the emacs-style bindings is painful for me. But vi modes are easy on my hands, so I can basically type all day in that editor.
It's the same thing with mice: hate 'em, and they can go to hell, along with GUI shit.
People who write or believe in a single "ideal system" are blinded by their own ideology, and can't fathom that what works in their little local miniature universe of ego doesn't apply to the entire vast universe of existence.

You don't count all the mode switching, right?

If you think mode switching is some serious work then you haven't used vim for more than 5 minutes. Mode switching is a bit like not having to hold modifier keys for an action, instead you just press the modified key once then you can easily chain complex actions without twisting your hand into weird positions, as if you're just typing.

It's as much work as "holding the modifier". That's what I was implying.

vim/neovim master race

I boot with emacs
I read my dvds with emacs
it's also my web browser
And my email client

Emacs is basically an OS by itself (except it doesn't have a proper kernel)

the last people who said something similar were auditing chromuim and they consider it to not be free/libre software because of a lot of unlicensed shit but also because a lot of weird shit that has accumulated over the years thanks to google.
Like the download of binary blobs and other shit.

by the way using anything that is ""FLOSS"" from Microsoft is a simple tactic that is called EEE
Embrace, extend and extinguish
I recommend to anyone to not use Microsoft ""FLOSS"" software.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend_and_extinguish

I used it 10 years ago and the vi mode crashed horribly when you did normal vi stuff.

I don't care if it's improved.
That was the official fucking editor of Autism Linux, a Sorcery Linux spinoff and it was advertised as a vi-replacement and it was unsuable.

And people use it for the pico mode, which is the notepad.exe of unix. And you have to pass it special flags if you don't want it to fuck your files.

run vimtutor. Use vim for a few hours. You'll never use fucking nano ever again. The core vi movement system is like flying around with a personal aircraft instead of nano's crawling along the ground on broken legs.

It's not. It's a difference between my hands beginning to hurt from all the weird twisting to press all those keycombos, and just pressing one key once with one finger.

Nano feels like that retarded kid in your school that you hated for being so annoying while you knew that he isn't aware of his retardation. I just feel kinda sorry for nano for being so dumb, it's not his fault, but I really can't stand him.

Normally Mousepad.

I have been attempting to get Nano's type highlighting lately with no luck though.

Kate and nano

nano is the best because its on like every distro xddd

I've logged onto some Linux routers where there was no nano. There's a lot of such systems out there that have just a minimal busybox install.

Anybody using an editor without multiple cursors is seriously missing out. I think Sublime Text invented it but its in Atom and VS Code now, too.

sublime was the original editor of its class and is still the best, it's faster than atom and doesn't have wincuck telemetry

I use multiple cursors in Emacs and I really like it. The capabilities mostly overlap with those of keyboard macros, though.

Multiple cursors is over 30 year old concept, and probably even first used on mainframe system.

In Vim you can modify multiple lines using aka VISUAL BLOCK.

Macros accomplish the same thing, and some more.

Tell me what's wrong with Atom so I can stop using it.

Size is not an issue to me. But I guess I'll use vim now.

it's heavy as fuck because lolelectron.
also
it's very pretty though, i wish emacs had colors and font rendering as good as Atom does.

How many times do you switch modes and how many keys do you press to do so?

I'm a big fan of Solarized's dark theme. I use it in Vim, Vim-Airline, and terminals. I also use KDE's Ghost theme, Qt and Gtk's Breeze-Dark theme, the Firefox Developer Edition theme (there's an addon to enable it in the release branch) and a matching wallpaper for a cool-colored, quiet experience.

I'm just lurking but
this is a pretty good joke

"Tomorrow Night Eighties" but the cucks don't make this for every platform.

The issue with "non-standard" themes like solaris or whatever the fuck is that they won't be available for everything, resulting in you using a whole bunch of different crap.

What do you mean? If the colors are know you can just port it to your editor of choice yourself. Or do you mean something else?

Editors.. themes.. that's all nice and all, but the real question is: which font?

My one and only true love. And I've tried them all.... I think.

Terminus master race.

None of the above.

That one does look great.

as long as you avoid italics

Pycharm.

Jetbrains make some pretty good IDEs. No experience with that particular one, but if it's anything like the others it's probably alright.

...it better be, considering what they ask for full versions.

so which font is that?

You know it, m8.

Liberation is the font family I use when not using bitmap. Can't use anything else than good bitmap for programming though.

Have you used the Intellij Idea? How is that? I am thinking about purchasing it and learning Java in depth. I would code Java for money. Beats NEET.

IntelliJ used to be great and it probably still is, but I wouldn't recommend buying it. Just start with Netbeans or Eclipse. They're free, full featured and more likely to be used within companies anyway. IntelliJ won't give you any sort of edge.

I guess I will try eclipse again. I found the autocomplete to be superior in Pycharm than eclipse. Eclipse feels like a volunteer project.

this is why we have sticky keys

contributin'

vim with monokai and rainbow

vim with the monokai colorscheme, terminus font and rainbow

why do you hate your eyes?

sorry mate, but I have yet to see a light background colorscheme that doesn't feel like staring directly into the fucking sun

Maybe give Netbeans a try first then. The autocomplete is pretty good in there. I prefer it over eclipse.

Spacemacs feels like cancer though. Why not just take the plugins you like (helm), some themes, and go back to vanilla emacs. Why suffer the bloat of some hipster community config?

kys

Most readable font that gets you as many lines on the screen as possible?
Basically, what's the best font for someone without a lot of vertical screen space?

GET NewMonitor Serif

Terminus or SGI Screen.

Fuck off normie scum!

I was looking for data on text editor prevalence, and the best I've found is the stackoverflow developer survey. There might be a preponderance of webdevs and pajeets on there, but still the results are quite shocking. (The numbers don't add up to 100%, clearly they've allowed for multiple answers. Read these results as X% uses Y as one of their editors)

Only 5.2% using Emacs! Compared to 26.1% using Vim. Sublime is also dominating, being used by 31% despite being proprietary.

What's more shocking is how many people bought into the Sublime meme.

Emacs might not be for everyone, but amongst devs, who demand a lot from their editor, I'm surprised it is such a small share.

People like sublime because it "looks" modern.

There is also an IDEA Community Edition that is fine for regular Java development, but it doesn't support JEE (web development).

I have been feeling nostalgic, so I've been using Borland Turbo C++ theme.

I hypothesis that most of Holla Forums has their computers in dark rooms, or rooms with poor lighting.

Damn straight. Pixel fonts will always be better than these blurry ttf meme fonts.

Those using Sublime are mostly javascript developers with no other appreciable skills.

Wouldn't the JS guys be using Atom or Brackets? Sublime does have speed going for it, and JS guys have no appreciation for that. In fact if Emacs didn't exist, I'd probably start using it.

This is nice. Reminds me of a time when computers weren't cucked. I used Turbo Pascal though. Eventually went with QEdit because of the extensive macros.

ITT: spherecucks

I wasn't going to say anything, but I use VS Code on Windows 10 every day for coding Angular 2 webapps.

That font rendering is sexy as fuck. If I had money to spare I would buy a mac just for that.

As a vim user myself converted to MS Code I have to say it's not the same thing. I have not once missed macros, but every time I've tried to go back to vim I've missed certain multi-cursor tricks that I couldn't get even with plugins to work as I wanted.

Who are you bullshitting, user?

Not really different from infinality (in fact, infinality is better). You're just easily fooled by the high resolution.

Well, that's it then. I revise my statement.
If I had money to spare I would buy a mac just for the amazing displays (except I wouldn't because they're not matte).

Obvious b8 is obvious. Try again.

It's very easy to render fonts (and other vector graphics) well in such a high resolution.

There are 4k displays for PCs too, you know. Including matte ones. Yes, even on laptops.

Inconsolata
Miso
Consolas
Share Tech Mono

Can't go wrong with Courier as it's ubiquitous.

I miss those days user. Now it's just dumbass Hipsters who "Code"

It's proven that only gay men and hipsters use blurry ttf fonts. Go back to your MacBook, faggot.

Poorfag plebs use blurry low-res screens and blame their blurryness on their fonts.
Hi-res master race uses sharp ttf fonts on sharp screens.

Yes, I was baiting. But that is also mostly my job.
I actually write web stuff, which is mostly Angular 2 right now, and I use VS Code, on Windows 10.

So you're basically a living b8?

Using TA with a modified dracula theme