You are tasked with writing a comic for a major publisher...

You are tasked with writing a comic for a major publisher, with the guidelines being that the main character will be "Like a mixture of Conan the Barbarian and Superman"
How does the comic end up? who would you want doing art?

Other urls found in this thread:

davidlovegrove.com/artwork/gilgamesh/index.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Sounds like Luther Strode.

eh, he was more a mixture of Spider-Man and Saiga Riki-Oh

I'm just spitballing here.
They don't say exactly what parts they want from Conan and Superman.
I'd make him a dimensional cop who tracks and hunts down abnormalities in different dimensions, using the weapons available there, on a strict procure only basis. Kinda like MGS3. The reason why it's done like that is to avoid some disastrous consequences.
This backstory might be a little generic, but hear me out. Guy is a berserker fighting against an evil tyrant for some kinda king. This establishes his respect to authority. One of his long time friends perishes in an skirmish, revealing in his dying breath about something about a scouting mission and hands him a beacon. He finds out from the people who arrive by the beacon was that his best friend was actually a dimensional cop embedded to find people who could be recruited. He's primarily recruited for his strong moral compass and his berserking ability. After a few adventures, we see his personality change from a cynic to an idealist with a strong moral core which doesn't waver even in the face of adversity, like Superman.

Anyway that's my late night autism. Feel free to call me a niggerfaggot for this

For me it sounds more like Prophet. Interestelar genetically engineered barbarian soldiers who gets the genes of the former superheroes, conquering the universe and fighting civil wars.

Well, now seriously that just sounds like a classical mythological hero story, a titan or a demigod fighting against gods and other evil monsters trying to protect humanity in a cruel world full of beauty yet full of cruelty.

So Hercules? You're tasked with doing a Hercules series?

It probably ends up like Hercules., unless you really try hard to avoid that. Maybe do a man out of time story? A super strong barbarian king (Kal of Barbaria?) finds himself in modern day Chicago, solves crime with axes. A local mob boss masters sorcery in order to defeat Kal, becoming his nemesis.

Hercules didn't have a secret identity. This is exactly He-man.

The setting is Tippyverse style super-high magic world where large cities supported by magically created food and item creation are connected by teleportation magic. Between these great fortresses are wilderness that has been left to nature, monsters and the "barbarians" who scrap out a living out of the bleak hellscape. The main setting is the "The Free City" (so named because it was unaligned in the war that led to the end of most other great cities) of Kentport.

The "hero" is a wizard who seeks the magical knowledge that will get him the power needed to join Kentport's governing Council of Mages. While possessing great knowledge and great magical powers, he's very much an absent minded professor and powerless to deal with the many magical disasters that plague Kentport.

His "bodyguard", and the actual hero, is a young barbarian from the Wilds, where monsters roam freely and precious metals are still used as currency, that joined the wizard in exchange for a magic belt that further augments his ridiculous strength. He's the real magic character and he is often forced to use his simple wisdom and ridiculous strength to fix the many bizarre magical problems and interwizard disputes that plague the great city of Kenttown.

So Silver Age Superman meets (A Town Called) Eureka.

Hercules.

I already had an idea which was pretty much this. It's set in a posts singularity world, but one where shit's still fucked, but moreso. Imagine Transmetropolitan's world gone galactic.

The main character was a generated life-form (I'll think of a cool name) which was essentially illegally bred and DNA coded as a dumb, strong slave for use on a Buttfuck, Nowhere colony. Kind of like a human working dog/horse. Basically the process fucks up and the person making him calls it quits, then is promptly executed upon discovery. The lifeforms survives, escapes and has noble traits instilled in them (all by unrevealed mystical means).

Basically, Blake's 7 style rebellion stuff goes down, but this guys is a moral crusader. The barbarian element comes in because, being engineered as an animal-man, he's strong and powerful, as well as his mystical traits (which would contrast with his science-gone-wrong origins and surroundings) and the Superman in him is his spacer engineering (kind of like Superman's physiological differences in Earth's atmosphere) as well as his Nietzschean übermensch thang, which would be intensified and intensified throughout with the eventual ending being him somehow helping all of the intelligent races transcend to his achieved higher state as opposed to most Chosen One messiah types being characterised by championing one group and/or destroying another.

As much as I could diverge from the barbarian archetype, there's not too much to go to.

As far as what OP is describing, we'll probably get something similar to a John Carter reboot.

Ahem.

more a mixture of Thor and Turmok

The Hanna Barbera super heroes were fucking wild.
Mightor, Herculoids, Thundarr the Barbarian, Bird Man, Space Ghost, The Galaxy Trio, The Impossibles, Frankenstein Jr…

Kind of crazy when you realize just how many they created.

I'd get David Lovegrove to get off his ass and finish his Erik Von Danniken take on Gilgamesh.

davidlovegrove.com/artwork/gilgamesh/index.htm

That comic looks trippy.

Thundarr the Barbarian even more so
They went to great lengths for the animation and filmed horses and shit for the jump scenes

sure they reused them a bunch but they put a lot of work into it

I would literally get a new Thundar the Barbarian comic going but mightor is the legit closest to it

I'm not a big fan of Thundarr, mostly because of it's art direction. Jack Kirby and Alex Toth are both amazing artists, but they don't mix well. They're like polar opposites.

how are they opposite?

It's literally order vs. chaos. Any study of their work shows two wildly different approaches to art.

This isn't just speculation. Story goes, Jack Kirby once invited Alex Toth to hamburgers at his house. He figured they were both the top of the business, so he wanted to talk shop to figure out how they each got there. After dinner, they proceeded to discuss their approaches to making comics.

After a few minutes, it was clear that they had absolutely nothing in common, so Toth thanked Jack for the burgers and left.

That looks like Mongul for some reason.

I thought Darkseid

Yeah, I can see that too.

That's beautiful.

Mongseid

More like Darius Drumm from Silver Star.

Man, we should storytime some Silver Star. Or Captain Victory, or O.M.A.C.! Something from Jack's monster raving loony phase.

He'd probably be fighting Skeletor using the Power of Grayskull to protect Eternia alongside the Masters of the Universe.