Picked up "1001 movies you must watch before you die"...

Picked up "1001 movies you must watch before you die", and I'm starting off watching "A Trip to the Moon" and "The Birth of a Nation".

There was no thread up about these hot new movies, so I'm making one.

There's about 11 good ones.

So finished Trip to the Moon.
The opening credits mention that the color version was "hand painted", which I didn't get until the movie started and the colors kept moving with every frame, which was trippy.

Also, movie was nearly ruined by the soundtrack by AIR that they added, which is mostly electronic.

Out of their selection, or in existence?

Okay holy shit, is birth of a nation supposed to have title cards? Cuz people are talking, and shit is happening, and I have no idea what's going on or who anybody is.

Okay, I guess they just showed like, a five scene introduction with vignettes of all the characters.

I know, I was surprised they showed niggers at all, I mean niggers belong in the zoo and not in film.

I don't know why you say that, its common enough that actors have to put in their contracts: I don't work with animals.

So here's a question: What is it about "The Birth of a Nation" that is so good that Liberals don't utterly bury it?

The blurb on it in the book went on and on about how horrible it was and then mentioned a couple of cinematography innovations.
Is that really it?

It's one of the most important movies in history and laid the groundwork for almost all movies today. Before it, movies were mostly filmed plays with a closeup every now and then. Not to mention it's success essentially created the film industry, not just in America but all over the world. It's also a pretty good movie in it's own right. The only people who say it's horrible are people who either don't like silent films or people who are mad because of how racist it is(and honestly, it's not even that racist to begin with. Or maybe I've just been on Holla Forums too long for anything less than "gas the kikes, race war now!" to seem racist to me.)

So after seeing your thread I thought "Oh hey, the famous moon face film. I never watched that. It's really old, so it's probably not that long… I'll see if it's on youtube."

So, my thoughts after viewing it:

-The way the sets and props are done have a really neat look to them, why can't I think of any film makers that have attempted to recreate this "hand-drawn" style? It makes the whole film look very vibrant despite being in black and white.
-The sailor girls who load the men into the rockets have very nice figures. Far nicer than most women in Hollywood these days. A bit of eye candy in a 1903 silent film, not a bad touch.
-The fight sequences with what I'd call "moon devils" but after googling are actually called "selenites" are pretty entertaining, they must have hired some acrobats to play them, and we see the birth of the "monsters explode into dust when killed" trope.
-On the flipside, does kind of hurt the film's credibility that the selenite survives the impact from the crash back to Earth. A bop on the side with an umbrella causes them to combust, but re-entry on the back of a giant bullet doesn't?

Ah, okay. See, the book didn't explain it that way, in terms of fundamentally changing what movies were. Literally half the page of text devoted to it was like, "We are SO SO SORRY that this film is historically important".

You should see it in color. Its not that "colorized" shit like they do with later B&W movies. They seem to have literally just dabbed paint on the negatives or something. It makes the whole movie look like its LITERALLY a live action animation. I've never seen anything like it.

Yeah that movie always upset people, even when it first released. That's why Griffith, who was really just apathetic to racial issues and thought the story could be made into a good movie, made Intolerance a year later as sort of an apology for Birth of a Nation. It's a pretty good movie too, if you're into silent films.

Funny moment just now: The little sister is given this crap made out of raw cotton to decorate her shabby dress with for when her brother comes home from the war.

First thing he does when she springs out of the door is tear off a piece of the cotton from her dress like, "wtf is this shit?"

Title card: Lincoln's body guard leaves his post to get a view of the play

SECRET SERVICE: FUCKING SHIT UP SINCE BEFORE THEY EXISTED

Oh snap. Mulatto protege guy got a little sniff of some white pussy. Literally gave him tunnel vision.

lol bix nood

>The Birth of a Nation (1915)
As simple as it was, it was superb. Definitely kino.

Every day until you like it.

Was kinda thinking the same thing.

Their voices were even and low.
Their eyes were level and straight.
There was neither sign nor show
When the Saxon began to hate.

Okay, watching this girl get not-raped by the head-nigger-in-charge towards the climax is pretty funny.

He's not actually grabbing her, but she's running away and occasionally throwing her arms and half-falling like she's going to really dramatically faint, only its been going on for like, ten minutes.

Do you want him to fuck your wife too?

hot

Fuck you. What else do you call the guy who leads all the black people? (you sensitive pussy)

(nice double dubs)
Is it wrong that I fapped to those dead women? They are fitter than most of today's Hollywhores, yeah.

I'm sorry but uhhhh, wat?
I'm usually not the type who's like "ugh, 0/10, disgusting pig", but those women are pretty average.
Like, not even Hollywood average; PTA meeting average.

Not those girls, I misspoke. The ones at the beginning with the big added in those corset tops. And one of the women loading them into the rocket had a huge rack.

I'll be back with pictures.

*big asses

Jesus fuck I'm never going to die at this rate

They say if you die with only one movie left… the last movie becomes what you watch forever IN HELL!

So you'd better make it a good one.

Me, personally? I've watched every one but The Inn at Cuckold's Lighthouse. I was going to make it be entry #867, "The entirety of BLACKED.COM", but I seriously couldn't help myself.

birth of a nation is the greatest filme ever caught on film

Yeah, it was pretty good. I don't think I've ever actually seen a movie that was honest about how black people act.

The fact that it makes cuckold-poster's blood boil is a plus, too.

I just want to see a nigger fuck my wife, is that too much to ask? :'(

t. Louis

It was accurate as to how blacks in America act. Without the threat of whitey they set people on fire, eat people, and massacre entire cities for fun. See: Apefrica

Both.

well, that speaks pretty well to the book that it successfully lists every good movie in existence, fluff notwithstanding.

It doesn't list TDKR greatest plane kino ever made.

The put in TDK instead for death-by-method-acting kino.

TDK was an okay prequel to The Dark Plane Crashes

So I looked up tonight's movie, and its 1920's "Within our gates", which is in the book for being the first movie with a black director.
Its about black people getting screwed by white people, because what the fuck else would it be about?

I'd been weighing whether I would start a new thread for every movie, and I came to the conclusion: "Not for this one".

Alright, the oldest surviving coon flick.

I'm going to try not to expect complete and utter shit out of it. Who knows? The director could have been half white or something.

Also bracing for unintentional black comedy (no pun intended).

So uhhhh, The Hero.

So far this movie has been on par with Birth of a Nation in terms of presenting black people as they actually are. In 14 minutes we've had snooping, conniving, theft, card cheating, manipulation, murder, and now attempted murder by the lead.

So a few things I noticed:
1. This is a literally silent movie. No score.

2. The plot is a southern teacher traveling north to find a rich white patron to fund her school. i.e. it is literally "Negro Story: The Quest for Gibs"

3. Movie kinda sucks.

Alright, it took until nearly the end, but we've crossed over into parody.

I was kinda mystified that media liberals hadn't buried "Birth of a Nation" as hard as they could, but I can see EXACTLY why they'd recommend this shit.