New Imageboard Concept in Early Planning Stages

PROMISEDCHAN
(name liable to future change)

There is a new imageboard-software concept in the works. Addressing the problem of powerful moderating positions being compromised and shitting up the board against the will of board communities and their established board culture.
(See: 8/b/, 8/pol/, 8/wx/ etc.)

Unfortunately there is a shortage of skilled Holla Forumsanons who are willing to assist in the planning and development of this new imageboard concept, which is holding back development.

If you're interested in assisting in the development of this new imageboard concept, please go to
8ch.net/polk/res/102.html
If the link is broken, try checking the catalog on
8ch.net/polk/

Other urls found in this thread:

desuarchive.org/qa/thread/1117646/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Some questions I have:
How do you plan to track the number of users following a mod team while maintaining anonymity?

What's to stop someone from using a bot army to mass subscribe to a mod team in order to change the default for everyone?

How are people supposed to learn about new mod teams for a board?

I can make this as a possible moderation backend after I finish Blazechan. Give me more details, though.
Do you create a "moderator group" yourself?
Is creating a moderator group like creating a board?
Will there be a global pool of posts which moderation groups filter or are moderation groups a subset of a board?
I reckon that the default should be picked by the administrator because of the possibility noted in

BTW, if you're serious about this come to irc.rizon.net #nextchan and we can discuss it further.

Posters would be ranked by impressions, posts they view + posts they make that are viewed. Each would be weighted separately. Statistics for this would likely be kept for a rolling term perhaps six weeks and would only hold totals for each type of impression with hourly granularity.

There would be fuse/circuit breaker logic set preventing switching from toggling back and fourth rapidly if two are near equil. It would take a dedicated weeks long raid for outsiders to try and impose there default mod choices on others.

I envision people choosing several mods and groups; and mods joing/leaving/creating there own mod groups at will.

The more active you are the more your mod choices would impact the community decision. We may also have voting for things like board options such as flags, forced anonymity ect. These would also use weighting as described above.

Having moderator teams that are chosen by popularity is stupid.
What you should do is make it so users can "report" the moderators and then an overarching administrator, who is otherwise unable to affect moderating, can depose them should the majority of users dislike them.

Swapping teams instantly will cause confusion and will change the style of the board every time.

This is what Holla Forums needed in the first place, as creating a new board and migrating everyone is too much hassle. Holla Forums would be a lot better if we could of deposed the shitty mod team ages ago.

You may be right. I will implement it my way initially, it will have the needed infrastructure to switch over to your style if that seems necessary.

The goal is not to switch the entire set of mods all at once. It would be more like you can choose to add or remove any mod you don't like and if most people do that then that mod will be removed from the default mod list.

Make all bans public

And by that I don't mean they can be looked up in a list somewhere, but where the actual post itself has a red "user was banned for this post"

It tells the board in general what kind of bullshit the mods are up to by generally never allowing them to fully delete threads/posts.

Also make it bannable for people to start "BASED MODS" spamming.

Also get rid of reply links and (You).

The core idea is that mods can never delete posts. All they can do is add them to filter lists. If you subscribe to the mod you wont see posts he filters.

I would include a mechanism for users to easily see all mod activity. Perhaps you could toggle a filter to see only posts a mod has added to his filtered list.

Does thread pruning or thread locking at certain post counts still happen?
If so, how can a "mod" stop spam form driving everything to the pruner?

Oh look another one of these dumb fucking "I'm an ideas guy" threads where people get the privilege of doing the slave labor of designing and coding a $10k website for them 4free and then the OP spergs the fuck out when this is pointed out.

I've been toying with a chan idea of my own.
The problem is how do you stop spam without a captcha (esp. jewgle's) and possibly without javascript.
I'm assuming the worst, so an enemy botnet with randomized posting from unique proxy IPs.

Also lets say I actually finish it and put it up and its a success. How do I avoid getting doxed? Is WHOIS privacy enough?

I've seen this idea many times, and I can see two major problems.

What do you do with replies to deleted posts? You sometimes have to delete posts because they're fucking up the thread by causing a lot of off-topic/garbage replies, but if you clean that up then people subscribing to different moderation will keep replying to the deleted posts. Do you implicitly delete those posts too?

How do you implement bans? Because anyone can presumably make their own moderation filter, linking all of a person's posts together would be possible by carefully applying bans. I don't think you can have proper anonymity, bans and switchable user moderation all at the same time.

>>>/polk/1357
>>>/polk/1367
>>>/polk/1383
>>>/polk/1384

just fyi

Call again when there's a frontend for NNTPChan that isn't a fucking joke.

please articulate what part is jokeable and i'll see what can be done.
i stopped caring about CSS long ago, if you don't like it create a userstyle.

Oh look another one of these alternative-chans, how cute I met it'll go well.

... and people wonder why i keep saying 8/tech/ is a shithole.....

Look at minetest. If the base product is shit, it will not attract users to modify it.

reactionimage.jpg

How do you deal with deleted threads in the catalog? Let's say that my moderation team is strict. There are a max of 30 threads in the catalog, and we have deleted all but 15 of them as off topic. Now suppose another moderation team isn't as strict. They have a full 30 threads in their catalog. What happens if someone adds a new thread? Will one of theirs get killed? What about if their 30th thread is my 15th thread? Would my 15th thread be killed even though according to my catalog, we don't have 30 threads?

The only way I see this working is if there is if all threads are archived forever.

Yes please.

FYI you over complicate this no censorship thing because you're autistic.

self moderation is the way to go about it, if everyone posting on the site had their own unique ID and users could filter that ID then there is your no censorship site.

it shouldn't be about the outdated concept of mods, it should be about user moderation.

on image boards like 4chan they have to be cultivated by the mods because the user moderation tools are inadequate by the very design of the anonymous image board.

Might as well require account login and usernames.

That may have been a good enough several years ago but isn't good enough today. There is a large still and growing section of the internet that wouldn't do something like this for the lulz, but rather because they view it as a means to push their political views and have no problem running bots, devoting a large amount of time to tedious tasks, or even spending money. Examples of this are reddit's recent troubles with people running vote bot scripts on /r/the_donald (organized by 8/pol/ to "redpill" redditers and was enough to get the reddit administration's attention multiple times, see pic related), recent use of 4chan passes to run spambots to flood threads (noticeable when a steady stream of spam posts appears at the lowered 4chan pass post interval), and mass spam (like the furfag did here) reaching several posts per minute targeting individual threads that would either require a few people running the same bot or one person filling out captchas non stop for an hour to push a single thread to the bump limit if they weren't using 4chan passes to get around the captcha. This is all before getting to the problem of actual paid shills should your site become popular enough.

Why not מובטחת chan?

OP here, I'm not actually the guy who's leading the development. I saw great potential in this new concept and I wanted to try and draw in anons who are willing to contribute in anyway possible.
is the lead for this development. I would gladly create the whole website if I could, but I can't into programming, my strength is graphic design shit and general organizing.

no one is forcing you to do shit., so you can just fuck off m8

top לִצְחוֹק lad
There is a deep level of irony to the name, admittedly
>>>/polk/175

Well that's the whole point, users can filter shit they don't like, and other users can choose to see the site through the filtered lens of another user. It's pretty much what you're saying, but instead users have the option to put the trust of what's being filtered into someone else's hands. (An option that they do not need to pick mind you.)

So it pretty much is self-moderation for the most part.

This guy has a good point
you have to at least create a nice-looking, functional, basic userstyle as a default to attract anyone. Most people don't feel like creating their own shit, that's just a fact.

Example:
desuarchive.org/qa/thread/1117646/
The mods actually purged the spam from the thread multiple times but for some reason the deleted posts don't seem to have been archived. Remember, this is what people are doing today with captchas as a barrier.

One post per minute or mods have to review every post.

You unironically think captcha stops spamming? LMAO.
No wonder so many people on Holla Forums whine about there being literal retards here.

What if mods could only hide posts, like already implemented now (little arrow top left), just make the single line wiht postnumber&time smaller in css.
Almost no cluttering up a thread and also transparent ban-policy.
if you want to read the moderated stuff you have to zoom in an pop up, or u make greasemonkey line for a unmoderated chan

and add the bann reason to the small line, eg Anonymous (You) 03/12/17 (Sun) 02:50:05 No.723510 :: stupid

Then perhaps this can be your focus instead of starting from scratch. If moderating the existing posts from nntpchan nodes is really an issue, you can ignore any federation with overchan.* boards and only take posts in from your frontend. From there you can probably work with majestrate on a new moderation scope users can opt into at will.

That's much more likely to happen than attempting to make an imageboard from scratch and then burning out before it's complete.

Oh boy, intrusive analytics! Just what I want for an anonymous imageboard.

When will you finish blazechan? I saw the thread you posted on it.

interesting idea but boards can only support a limited number of threads.

really the catalog should be the only way to find threads too, the pages system is deprecated.

this is a cool idea.
everyone is a moderator and nobody is a moderstor — all users are the same in terms of privileges.
each user has own set of filtered posts which they may update. + a list of other user's filters they chose to use, which maybe could also make use of boolean operators (for example: I want to filter everything from A's list, and also everything that is in both B&C lists)
it's also always possible to look at who filtered a specific post.

that's right

I am still working on it. The development is at a slow pace because I'm constantly fighting with real life stuff. polite sage for unrelated

Sure thing middle-school NEET. Go back to developing your vaporware.

Ebin reply friend. How's your latest C fizzbuzz going on?

OP, this idea is genius. This would lead to a greatly operating chan. Don't listen to the shills; keep working. Keep us updated.

This is a wonderful idea. Make sure you make a good thread watcher for it.

Not necessarily. Pruning can be time-based.

Pages may be deprecated, but you can still have a giant board page, as long as it is filterable and properly optimised.