Holla Forums Filenames

What's the deal with the filenames Holla Forums gives to saved images?

Why did it change to them over the older, shorter ones that I assume were unix timestamps or something similar. The ones it uses now are so fucking ugly.

Other urls found in this thread:

oxwugzccvk3dk6tj.onion/tech/res/720383.html
oxwugzccvk3dk6tj.onion/tech/res/720383.json
media.8ch.net/file_store/ced401cc006e944556e8237baebd2508ad96f95451f96086dc0b284995fe0ede.png/not having unix filesystem.png
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Holla Forums deduplicates files now. The filenames are based on hashes of the files themselves. This means duplicate files don't take duplicate storage space, and it means that file URLs will work as long as their file is uploaded somewhere, even if the post you originally got it from is gone and even if the file didn't exist anywhere on the site any more for a while until someone reuploaded it somewhere.

This is a shit idea and you should be ashamed of yourself.
FUCKING CODEMONKEY

Holla Forums could still do 8ch.net/file_store/sha256hash/saneimagetitle.jpg

More unnecessary overhead

It's a great idea that saves space and have been used since 2000s

DAILY REMINDER YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

DAILY REMINDER JOSH DID DEDUP RIGHT IN INFINITY NEXT

DAILY REMINDER JOSH DID NOTHING WRONG

Well shit, you actually give a justification for that feature. It's not a hugely useful one for an imageboard though, by design, content on here is ephemeral.

I hate to tell you, but it does that. Save me oniichan!

Correction: It does that if the filenames aren't psychotic.

You could do it yourself if you weren't retarded

OK what the hell, does it only work on really basic filenames like the OP?

what did he do?

Josh checked the file before it was ever uploaded if javascript was enabled, if it wasn't it worked similarly to how it works here. Except that Josh didn't have to turn every file name into a hash, he stored hashes in the database to check against and kept unix timestamps as file names. Codemonkey checks the file after it's uploaded and then assigns it a hash as a file name if it's a new file. The way Josh did it saved bandwidth, and disk space. If the file already existed with Infinity Next you could submit your post instantly instead of waiting for it to upload. The way Codemonkey is doing it only saves disk space.

Now why would you care about disk space in a website where posts are supposedly deleted after a certain time...

No one ever claimed posts are deleted after a certain amount of time, because that isn't true. Posts are deleted after they slide off the catalog. So if they don't ever slide off the catalog that post with the users IP and any files is stored forever. On Infinity Next the IPs were at least stripped from the post after a couple weeks. Dedup at the very least allows for higher file size limit, which is why it was increased to 12 megabytes here.

Same meaning. They're meant to be temporary.

Posts are allowed to last for years, even if they're not guaranteed to last forever, and there's a fuckton of them. Holla Forums needs a lot of disk space.

But how much disk space are you really going to save with deduplication?

It implies that the same exact file is posted multiple times. That's a tiny fraction of the files in Holla Forums.

Is there a way to rename images/webms I get to a Unix time? It triggers my autism

We should get everyone to slightly edit images before updating. Open it in mspaint and put a small line somewhere on the image then save it. It's like operation nigger on 4chan

Doesn't work properly with filenames without extension, too lazy to type
dicks() { [ ! -f "$1" ] && return 1 local fn=$(stat -c %Y "$1") mv "$1" "$fn.${1##*.}"}

Rewrite oxwugzccvk3dk6tj.onion/tech/res/720383.html to oxwugzccvk3dk6tj.onion/tech/res/720383.json

Search for post number
"no" : 720383,

The find the line with time:
"time" : 1488867225,

>media.8ch.net/file_store/ced401cc006e944556e8237baebd2508ad96f95451f96086dc0b284995fe0ede.png/not having unix filesystem.png

I swear when I tried saving it earlier it was giving the hash filename even with right-click save as on the original filename.

Posts are synchronized to the FBI super duper top secret database after they slide off the catalog.

Oh that's cute. It seems that for the OP of a post, the oriignal filename link doesn't get set correctly until they F5 the thread.

There's an even easier way than that

truncate -s +1 ~/path/to/image.png

Time stamps can be use to de-anonimize users. There are several organizations that download every image and post from this place. With time stamps you can build a history from an image and see exactly what thread you saved it from and where else anyone saving from that thread posted. It is a security issue worth fussing over.

So can renaming your files. Or even posting the hashed files, because I honestly don't think I've ever seen a hashed filename receive the same hash when reuploaded here. The only solution is not to avatarfag keep posting the same image multiple times. I've never had anyone identify me by my posted images, but I have identified tripfags posting anonymously by choosing to post the same image over and over in a context where they were bound to be identified.

As long as you're careful when selecting images, then the worst that can happen is someone can datamine you by finding out what thread you saved an image in, and even that is only if you didn't save the image with the original filename off someone else who saved the image in that thread. Add to that, you saving an image from a cancerous thread/board doesn't mean you frequent that board or threads of that type. For example, saving a Holla Forums image while you happen to be looking at a thread on /islamicstate/ doesn't mean you are a 1337 ISIS hacker. It only means you viewed that thread and saved that image. The reality is there are multiple possibilities of where you acquired the image with that name, making it rather useless information except to fuck with someone you don't like.

Created Kiwifarms, currently the best place to discuss DarkSydePhil on the internet.

You're right, but we had unique filenames before and 8chanX had a feature that allowed you to estimate when and where an image was saved, it was pretty accurate.
pic & filename related.

Not by design.

It saved enough to increase the file size limit from 8 MB to 12 MB.

Ya know what's funny? It's actually open for the public: 8archive.moe

archive.8ch.net