21 years remain

Will your computer/Smartphone survive the year 2038?

Other urls found in this thread:

android.googlesource.com/platform/bionic#32_bit-ABI-bugs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem#Vulnerable_systems
web.archive.org/web/20170226184904/https://lwn.net/Articles/563285/
reddit.com/r/Android/comments/16vci0/heh_you_can_crash_android_with_the_2038_unix_bug/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

My Android phone does not let me set the year beyond 2036 even though it has a 64-bit processor and a 64-bit OS

all you need is prayer mat and koran.

Yes. I use Windows 10.

You don't even need a prayer mat, you can pray anywhere where sunlight hits or that you know is clean.

I was going to throw insults at you, but well played, user.

Fucking kek m8, Bionic is based off OpenBSDs libc which has had a 64bit time_t for years.

Their only excuse is to make sure the phone has a definite death.

I hope not. I want to see it happen this time. y2k was a lousy bug that was all hyped and I never saw it. I want stuff to break this time.

Unless you're the government you don't get to carry out punishments for things like that, the person needs due process, so you still wouldn't need them.

My 3 computers where the year wraps around at 2000 still work fine.

THIS

Bionic does not always have 64-bit time_t

android.googlesource.com/platform/bionic#32_bit-ABI-bugs
>time_t is 32-bit. http:/Holla Forums5819737. In the 64-bit ABI, time_t is 64-bit.

What about embedded systems?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem#Vulnerable_systems
web.archive.org/web/20170226184904/https://lwn.net/Articles/563285/

MAYHEM!

Will you?

How does Windows NT store time? I hear it can go up to 2099 but that's probably superficial and not as a result of an integer overflow

You're thinking of your shitty gaming rig and not about the myriad systems that are not updated/upgraded cause it just werks. There will be a whole lot of shit that will break.

It probably will for the majority of people but its not unreasonable to assume there will be more than a few embedded 32-bit systems running still. Embedded systems are expected to last many decades

What'd they do for Y2K?

Y2K was never a problem.
Someone got scared about it and told me we were going to go into a Dark Age, so I set my computer to 23:50PM 31/12/1999 on her computer. I asked her for the date and time with 1 minute to go.

Many giggles were had as she was about to have a stroke.

They updated the systems. My dad used to do work on AS/400 computers in order to make them Y2K compatible.

But the 2038 year problem is much wider in scope due to lots of legacy shit depending on it.

feels bad man.

Is 2038 the upcoming y2k?

The twelfth of Vigintinovember?

I figured out what it was. Only the kernel is armv8l/64-bit. All other components including the C libs and dalvikvm are 32-bit

Men cannot carry out punishment. They may carry out the Will of Allah and in his stead become His Will and serve His Punishment. In this way we all who follow the Teachings are capable of serving Allah's Will.

Where are the Holla Forumstards when you need them?

So I guess it's up to me . . . Hail Satan!
And may he scrub the filthiest toilet with Allah's face.

the aliens will have contacted us by then
that, or we'll have destroyed ourselves.

Weird. I got an old Samsung from 2009 with a Gingerbread custom ROM and I can go over 2038 without issues.
Guess I'm covered.

No, you're not. Do NOT under any circumstances set the date beyond 2038. You WILL brick your device. And in fact many people have bricked their device

1.) Aarch64 was not introduced until 2012
2.) Android Runtime was not introduced until Jellybean. You are absolutely using a 32-bit DalvikVM
I repeat. You are not safe, do not set your device beyond 2038 Just because your device lets you does not mean you can. Not every device has the proper checks in place to prevent you fucking your shit up

See here; inb4 hurr reddit!
reddit.com/r/Android/comments/16vci0/heh_you_can_crash_android_with_the_2038_unix_bug/

I don't know where to post this, but I hope some can relate

Sorry, can't say I do relate. You don't have to be a full on normalfag to appreciate having a smartphone. Androids are well-rounded portable shitposting and emulation devices. Granted its not perfect because no buttons and Android is a really shitty OS (so is iOS and every other mobile OS) and they're tracking devices but its really all we have that fills the role that it does

I disagree on the emulation part. I have an N900 and it's x10 better for emulating. I just don't like how it feels to tap on the screen or block it with my fingers, it feels much better actually hitting a key. For this reason no matter how good an android game is I can't play it because I know it feels like crap.

They do make good shitposting devices though, I was being a bit too extreme when I said that I don't use it for more than 15 minutes at a time. I was lying... because sometimes I like to stay and shit in more than 15 minutes.That's what I find it useful for, instead of reading shampoo ingredients on the toilet now I read shitposts on my android phone.

The N900 is better because it has buttons. Modern Android phones are powerful enough to handle Gamecube emulation via Dolphin and Android has an emulator for every device imaginable. I agree though, having no buttons is horse shit and slider-keyboards need to make a comeback

I want something like Xperia play to become popular. I think it's a beauty.

Yeah, it would be nice if Sony made a modern Xperia Play with modern hardware. Hell. I'd even settle for a Nintendo Switch style tablet with Joycon clones you can mount to the sides that runs something like Android

Oh, good to know. Not gonna try it, then.
In such a case, though - wouldn't removing the battery take care of it by resetting the clock? This particular phone does have a secondary, small battery that helps keep it for a longer time, but it's worn out and the phone does lose its time if I leave it without the battery for long enough.

Granted, some data might be stored with broken dates such as SMS messages or log entries, but recovery mode + wipe should get rid of that.

Still not gonna try it, though

I do

N900 masterrace.

t. hasn't used any other smartphone since 2011

Here's my homescreen, and yes that is Wittgenstein the Supercomputer.

It's still September 1993 here after several thousands of days. I'm not too worried.

On a more serious note, I don't think we'll have to worry, by that point the whole world will be in chaos and it simply won't matter.

I do too user.

GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE CP DIAPER FAGGOT

There are lots of controllers available for this purpose.

An external controller defeats the purpose, it's a very big hassle. I don't want to carry one in my pocket.

This. I don't get how the fuck people play these games with touchscreen. It's a shitty input device.

3 years at best. That's not really long and unlike BSD, they have to be compatible with 3rd party shit too. 32bit linux will be fixed or deprecated then.