What happened to cartoons being an imaginative form of escapism with subtle commentary on real-world issues if any...

What happened to cartoons being an imaginative form of escapism with subtle commentary on real-world issues if any, and when did it become about "sending a message"?

I want my fun, creative medium back. These political blowhards don't deserve to be involved.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Kxm9AvZ2CCc
encyclopediadramatica.se/Alt-right
fishstewpizzaheiress.tumblr.com/post/153356308406/someone-hey-lapidot-feels-kinda-forced-lauren
egomatter.tumblr.com/
egomatter.tumblr.com/post/50894386314/and-after-ps-crashed-like-5-times-here-u-have-it
egomatter.tumblr.com/post/152237382931/neo-kosmos-neokosmos-has-updated-read-the-new
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Money
newsfromme.com/2006/12/11/todays-video-link-1103/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

With Trump going into office, most of the rats will jump ship out of fear and ignorance. Eventually the cartoon industry as we know it will die or shrivel up to a near death state. But in time a new boom will hopefully come along that relights the fires and gives us actual fun creative and thoughtful cartoons again.

When cartoons stopped making money.

My personal theory that it is a mix of "teaching your kids X is incredibly important" and leftists constantly virtue signal whenever possible. The more the are indoctrinated, the more it leaks into their work. Eventually it comes their whole purpose with the works they create.

Leftists seem to have lost the ability to shut up about their politics. Even in fanfiction they are endlessly nattering on about sexism and privilege.

What a horrible way to ruin his own idea.

I hate how some anons try to make a kids show seem "deeper" than it should not be.

Okay Gravity Falls and Star Vs. I could maybe get on the 'deeper' level. But how the fuck could anyone say Loud House is deeper than it actually is? It's a show about a guy with ten sisters, that's pretty straightforward.

What's wrong with polar bear?

Ice bear sounds more le quirky xd see he talks funny

must be tough belonging to America's most brutally oppressed minority group

You mean being one of the more bigger asshole minorities

Snow bear sounds better. These clowns can't even get bad humour right.

So he's saying the people who are weirded out by the Bears' antics are supposed to be an allegory for racists

That's true. We need animators with stylistic talent back, not the same "Oblongs n' Noodle Arms" crap that keeps coming out of the woodwork every time. We need a fresh generation of animators that can do quality along the lines of stylistic animation like Genndy Tartakovsky, or detailed animation like that one Clayface scene in Batman: The Animated Series.

Detailed high quality smooth animation would be the way to go. If the west wants to compete with Japan's animation market then we have to actually give and shit. Put in some actual effort, time, and money into animation again.

reminds me of that show the Oblongs.
Agree with you though user. What do you think of individual groups of animators doing their own work like Poet Anderson short? Is that the way of the future?

Not exactly, but that's along a "sort of" territory. Ironically, the only animation group that does distinct animation styles nowadays is DC. Look at this Wonder Woman short for example: youtu.be/Kxm9AvZ2CCc

Watching that Poet Anderson trailer reminded me of The Iron Giant for some reason.

Maybe the artstyle is why it reminded you of Iron Giant. Or some of the CG that was integrated with the animation?

Also, that short looks awesome.

Also regarding the WW short. The artstyle reminds me of Aeon Flux for some reason.

Also I'm getting an experimental late 90's vibe from it.

Yeah, it was the way the characters were animated. There was so many frames in their movement. It also kind of reminded me of Lab Zero's animation style (the studio making Skullgirls and Indivisible).

Funny that he said that it's an allegory for minority, because in many episodes the bears get their hate for being obnoxious pieces of shit

Gooks are autistic.

Defining him by his nationality is practically begging for prejudice :^)

wait that show was supposed to be an allegory for racism? I've never seen the show but from what I heard from you guys it just seemed like a show where 3 bears just dick around in San Francisco.

I feel like the creator is pulling that out of his ass to make the show appear deeper than it actually is.

Because they're fucking bears.
Y'know it would make more sense if they drew the bears in a realistic more animal way, instead of looking like a bunch of guys in fursuits. Like Polar Bear cafe, or whatever that anime was called.

I just looked that up user. It looks fun and interesting.

Ayyyyyy

Tu quoque, faggots :^)

Though I have to agree with you, their over-migration causes a shit-ton of economic problems.

If you mean the Batman scene I think you do, that was animated in Japan.

American animation can't compete with anime. It doesn't have even the most basic prerequisites in place. There are many problems in many areas that people can't or won't address, or don't even see as problems. Thinking that "detailed high quality smooth animation" is the way to go is an example of a problem not perceived as a problem.

leftists and communists have always targeted children to brainwash. they can't change the older generations who think with their own brains, they want more indoctrination.

What? This is something I've never understood. Why is it that ONLY Asians on the left complain about racism? See, Asians don't actually get treated differently than whites. I live in the south and except for like elementary school I've NEVER been subject to racism that is supposedly so bad for the Asian community.
Hell, the other Asians I know are more racist towards others

fixed

because they see it everywhere. the rational healthy mind does not wake up everyday and immediately look for things oppressing it.

And that's why your show is fucking gay, Daniel.

So that's why the show is so boring!

Osakan user here and yeah we just laugh at the americanized ones over here. it just seem like "me too meeee tooo i am so sad as well please mister nigger love me too"

It's about a troubled teenager who thinks he is the "only sane man" in the house dealing with the thought of doing horrible things to his sisters.

but user anime sucks

to be fair, I've got an asian friend and an autist marine corps friend. The autist marine makes fun of him constantly. I get on to him because he's just not funny, but he's always been kind of retarded and needs to put people down to make himself not feel like a failure.

protip fellas, going into the marine corps does not undo your fuckups or cure autism.

A lot of how these animators speak make it sound like they think there aren't any kids cartoons at all in existence and that they NEED to spread the overly saturated and stale message of generic overall positivity. Like they shave a really bad case of mean world syndrome

Oh is that why the show uses outdated internet memes and lol random humor? Fucking idiots don't know how to do social commentary right.

What happened, allow me to take you on a trip:

Now to ad breadth to this, it was a shit storm of SJW bullshit that dragged things down, when Feelings were more important than facts. The They cam to force their ideas upon the industries, forcing change to mediums and IPs they didn't care about, save for the fact that it had not bent to their will. When they pushed their warped ideologies into the main stream media, and demanded that we obey their pronouns all the while they insult anyone they wish.

In that guy's case, he got a big head and decided his opinion mattered because a he got a bunch of views and a network deal. It happened with shit like the Oatmeal: he made a bunch of blog posts into comics about how much the school bus sucked or a bunch of random facts about beer. At some point, he got a building Tesla used preserved as a museum, and the retard got a huge ego and started using his comic-blog for Atheism+ bullshit and trying to get an American exotic game hunter's life ruined because she wanted to hunt things in Africa.

Why these people managed to get spots on major networks and do shit like draw over Spike in the Cartoon Network stairwell is because shitty artists are cheap artists, and companies in cartoons, comics, video games, and other content-centric industries are getting big chunks bought up by investment firms like Vanguard, who put pizza chain executives in charge of these places.

Trump getting into office is going to make SJWs doubledown.

But I think whats going to happen is independent cartoons on Youtube and so on are going to become an even bigger thing. Things that existed due to the cable TV format such as seasons and so on will become a thing of the past.

Look at how things went with newspaper funnies when web comics became a thing. Look at how Steam and digital distribution in general made it so games like Binding of Isaac and heavily marketed AAA games like Call of Duty are placed under the same spotlight. Same shit will be happening with cartoons. Hell, it already started when Newgrounds became a thing.

It's too real, you fucking madman!

I think its a more recent thing with whiny Asian Americans. Im a hapa so my mom is Japanese and she never bitched and whined like that. Most of the older generation of Asians where I lived don't bitch about social justice like that. I've noticed some younger ones do but I was hoping it wouldn't take effect on everyone.

The situation is beyond absurd if you have a bit of perspective. Here in the Balkans and the whole of Eastern Europe old cartoons from communist times never ever shilled politics. As in, politics were completely absent from cartoons unless the cartoon is explicitly dealing with real life (I don't remember a single one that did this. I only saw some via youtube). They usually deal with fairy tale themes or kids doing kid things.

Now a glance at older 1950s Holla Forums properties in America pretty much operates under the same principles. Yes, there's a "kill the commie" type of thing here and there, usually in the capeshit genre, but I do not recall Casper or Wendy shilling for capitalism or touching upon such subjects.

See what I mean? A totalitarian system of goverment and a fiercely gung ho mindset within America at that time did NOT create propaganda or put the stories and characters below shilling. We are actually living in a system that is more totalitarian, more intolerant and far more vicious than Soviet Russia and Nuke 'Em America. Liberalism is totalitarianism. It seeks to control everything and BE everything, and to a very large extent it is in control. You cannot have art of any sort in this climate. The artists/writer are incompetents who don't care about the medium, and they do not come to studios and companies with a story and art. They come with propaganda, and if they are shown the door they will bitch and moan about racism, sexism, you name it. Then the witch hunt starts. Simply put companies of all sorts capitulated before liberalism and its legislation and laws that demand submission.

On a deeper level - equality. Equality in liberalism simply means "objective standards are oppressive" and that means any sort of shitty art and insipid story is okay, because everything is of equal worth.

The whole of western fiction is now pure propaganda and nothing more. Fags, trannies, white genocide, niggers - any and all forms of degeneracy and evil are pushed mercilessly and unceasingly. Our culture is dead at this point, and we must resurrect it. This means an uphill battle, and on our lower level of consumers it means that it's time to stop being a fag and pitch in in the only way we can. Call out the demon. If you're watching a cartoon with fags, post about how you hate it and don't approve. Be vocal. Racemixing propaganda? Call it as it is and disown it, thou shall tolerate no brown evils. Feminist womyn in cartoons? Show your disgust.

Couple this with your vocal support of the oppossite, the right, the fundamentally good - cheer on Holla Forums girls that are feminine and aren't sluts, promote white culture, promote both chastity and eroticism (contemplate this), promote healthy boy/girl relationships and trust and so on.

And on the surface never defend hack jobs with shitty art but call it inferior as it is. The resistance is very simple when it comes down to it.

The only fuckers that complain in American racism are Korean or Chinese
Bet the fucker comes from a korean family.

Unlikely, given that the YouTube's changes to their monetization algorithms puts animators at a distinct disadvantage compared to low-effort content that can be uploaded frequently (Let's Plays, Video Logs, Top 10 lists, etc.)

Back in the 80s/90s cartoon writers probably hated the fact that they had to force life lessons down children's throats

What if I like some of this "shitty" Artstyle? for example I HATE anime, my guitly pleasure was pokemon and other series like it like Digimon and yugi-oh but nowadays not even that I can stand.

never noticed but raven has some nice tits going on

I've seen a lot of Paki fucks and American-Indians complain about that shit too. I've got an aunt and a cousin who were complete Hillary shills and still advocate protest and regularly post on their facebook about how to wreck shit for 'protesting' and not get arrested.
Also an example is Zarna Joshi, that Hugh Mungus bitch.
Man there's something about Americanization that gives people a sense of entitlement.

Raven also had the best leg and butt game.

What a spectacular social commentary about what its like to be a chink in San Francisco.

Disgusting.

I never understood how Americans (Whites) and Western Europeans can function in the presence of brown abominations and assorted bullshit. The stench of evil emanates and pervades such things. There is no difference between a nigger, a Jew and a muslim on a deeper level. They all worship Evil and are evil.

They totally did. Look at Cobra TV.

That's fucking pathetic.

I heard a Chinese-American the other day talk about how most of their family voted for Trump. Older generations are very right-leaning. It's the young generations that are fucked up. They have no connection to their culture and blame white people for it. I often hear the complaint 'America is racist because my family stopped speaking Mandarin around me as a child so I would learn English instead.' Like it's white people's faults for your parents deciding to make sure you knew the main language of the country you were in, while not understanding the concept of being bilingual. All the racism I hear is that and 'ohh you're Asian so you must be [insert positive trait here]!' like it's so awful people assume you're good at things.

If you want to make cartoons great again, you have to jump in as soon as possible. If you're gonna wait until the rats start fleeing, you shouldn't. Be there the moment they're leaving and you can encourage more to join.

In other words, be the change you want to see.

Yes she does.

It saddens me to hear these things. I thought we would be immune to it compared to the other races.

>encyclopediadramatica.se/Alt-right

Fuck off and take your down syndrome with you, faggot. We need water, not more petrol. People like you are the reason these progressive fucks are still hanging around. Alt-right faggots (oh I'm sorry, "race realists") like you are an equal terminal illness. I can't tell if your ilk are disabled beyond rational thinking or sincerely stupid enough to be sucking all those stormfag cocks so easily.

=
Kill yourself, my man.

His idea that Soviet cartoons were less political than current American ones is pretty disturbing, though. It could be used as a purple pill next time normies take their periodic interest in what cartoons are like these days.

I'm not of the Alt-Right.

The rest of your comment is just crypto-leftism.

They weren't political at all. Go watch Lolek i Bolek or old cartoons about Maša. Nothing about them even remotely touches upon any political themes.

AND WHAT THE FUCK IS CRYPTOLEFTISM???

Stole from the /cow/ thread about SU spergs

"Non-Binary storyboard artist Lauren Zuke deleted her twitter account when she posted Lapis/Peridot art (this angered the Amethyst/Peridot shippers and due to the fact that some people thought Lapidot wasn't going to happen, they called her a queerbaiter)
fishstewpizzaheiress.tumblr.com/post/153356308406/someone-hey-lapidot-feels-kinda-forced-lauren
Surprise, Surprise, the Crewniverse did not take the D-man's victory well
egomatter.tumblr.com/ "

Ugh, you know what really pisses me off about these people working on these shows?
Back in the day, people would talk about how they'd grow and get better by working with professionals. But now they get shit.
First pic is how they used to draw. Second pic is from their shitty Homestuck-wannabe webcomic they're currently making.

user please tell me you are not being serious. I mean the first one obviously has its problems but please, I need to know you're not being serious.

It's true, user. It's completely true.
egomatter.tumblr.com/post/50894386314/and-after-ps-crashed-like-5-times-here-u-have-it
egomatter.tumblr.com/post/152237382931/neo-kosmos-neokosmos-has-updated-read-the-new

The link to buy the art print for the DR fanart has a comment on it from 2013. So in three short years, her art has devolved this far.

Jesus Christ she used to be good. Its such a shame.

Gravity Falls costed over 10 millions a season. Korra was burning Nick's money. The problem is not the budget anons. These fucking faggots running the show like Hirsch and Bryke don't know how to handle a fucking budget anyway.

This is why gays hate faggots.

What about Arnold and pretty much everything from Klasky Csupo? Take off you glasses fag, the conditioning was always there, especially in the rebellious counter-culture climate of the 90's.

They certainly hated being forced to push specific ideals, that's where the buddy bears come from.

So… she has to convince herself on a daily basis?
Fucking hell, these people are so fragile.

I say "she" but, is it a tranny?

He only thinks about it? My friend, I'm pretty goddamned sure he's fooling around with at least the athletic one behind closed doors. And that's coming from someone whose only seen the show once or twice.

He's referring to what's written in the link, friendo

How does someone become this emotionally fragile?

"Stay nasty."

What did she mean by this?

Degenerates being degenerates.

Lesbians are notorious for their poor vaginal hygiene.

lol

CTRLeft

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Why do people mutilate themselves like that.

Reminds me of this.

Since the third generation of feminism fused their ideas and john money's refuted (by the whole biology world) theories on "gender"
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Money

Then spreading them to young/non experienced people and raise awareness to not harm people or you'll be see has a racist/homophobic /"insert shame here".

A cocktail of complete bullshit.

Go outside man, talk to people, get a life.

You know Kaziklu flaunts himself as an older guy. This isn't coming from a teen, its from a grown ass man. I don't know if that makes it worse or not.

The connection between dark skin and evil is ancient and well documented. I have no reason to doubt it, but in fact can only confirm it.

I even gave gypsies a fair chance. Pun intended.

Does anyone even still watch this show now?

bump

what in the goddamn

I wonder if Google/YouTube are even aware that they basically killed web animation. If they were, they could they change the way monetization works so animated YT video can get more ad money?

While that "simpler" art style in the 2nd image is a massive downgrade it could be justified if they are trying to make each page quickly.
Think how long it would take to make a comic page with the art style of left image?

They're given everything they want, eventually cracking when someone says, "No.".

Even if they were, I doubt they'd care. Keep in mind, YouTube is practically an eternal flame in Google's coffers (hosting petabytes of videos is not cheap). So whatever changes they make to the site are done with the goal of actually turning a profit, no matter how retarded. So trying to appeal to what amounts to a niche would be considered counterproductive.

If I recall correctly, the changes were done in response to a glut of shitty Re: (reply) videos that abused the algorithm, but I'm not sure.

I grew up in a Asian majority city and I think it's a generational with a mix of class thing.

The kids of FOBs mostly kept with their own clan, usually spoke their own language, and usually were racist in their own right. They were usually poor and their families were conservative. They didn't bitch about racism, because they didn't give a shit about it and chances are they hated you too.

The 2nd/3rd generation kids is when it changes, because they're less connected to their heritage, live fairly nice-to-great lives, and they're more likely to make friends with kids of different races. And that last point is where I think most of this whining comes from. You hang around a diverse crowd and your race is just one more thing for friends to bust your balls about. It's never serious. If people have a question about your race they feel free to ask you because they're your friend.

When these chinky cunts get into place where victimihood is coveted, college (and boy do they ever in SoCal) and they get taught by a bunch of left leaning assholes. They're embarrassed they don't know their culture and rather than realize it's because their parents prioritized working hard to give them a good life over tradition, they're taught to blame white people. They're taught those harmless jokes among friends (jokes they themselves made) and questions they were asked are really microaggressions. It's even worse with richer Asians because they grew up and mostly only hung around rich white kids their whole lives. So they only see they teasing coming from one direction, white people, and they're never shown anything otherwise. I'd bet dollars to donuts the Suey Parks of the world only ever lived, and continue to live, around white people. They want the racism to be real because they want to be victims.

Saddest part is that Asians do quite well for themselves in the west and most of the "PoCs first" type of cunts will only ever think of them as white. They're trying to get in a world that doesn't want to listen or fight for them.

You misunderstand, user. That 'panel' is an entire page. They do about 26 'pages' at a time. And it's not like they update weekly. They don't even update monthly. They update when they feel like it, for that crap.
At least you can use that kind of excuse for the cunt that created Ava's Demon that took people's money with the promise of two updates weekly that she never followed through with (and instead used the money to travel to cons to get more money while putting the comic on months-long hiatuses), this is just pure laziness.

Web animators should make longer videos and create more sources of revenue then.

This has much truth to it.

You mean like sell merchandise?

Yeah, but who is competent enough to draw and motion more frames, those web animators aren't really great artist.

Easier said than done.
You expect them to do that while trying to shit out longer videos frequently?

T-Shirts, phone cases, and coffee mugs can only get you so far though

You're cancer.

I love this show, and it hurts me to know the people working on it are such faggots. At least their strawman of a conservative/Trump supporter was humanized instead of demonized.

There is nothing wrong with love and tolerance and all that good stuff though. The problem is that these things have become weaponized by the modern regressive left. There's nothing wrong with using these as a base for a children's cartoon as long as your intent is innocent and you don't try to shoehorn in your political agendas

And Blu-rays/DVDs.

You mean Jesus Christ? Cause Jesus was a jew. Than Muslims worship Jesus as the first pure Muslim. Did you not know Islam is the black sheep of the Christian religion? Well maybe black sheep is too good of a word.

Ignoring your typo, you got shit wrong. They specifically DON'T worship Jesus. They believe he existed and was a great prophet, but was not the son of God. That's why Christians hate them, because the entire Christian religion is based on Jesus Christ as the son of God.

Holla Forums is cancer, and namefags are even more cancer, but come on, m80.

Bare Bears are a rip off of Buddy Bears

You know what, I feel like elaborating on the origin of the buddy bears.

Better yet I'll link to a thing by the guy who invented them.
newsfromme.com/2006/12/11/todays-video-link-1103/

But the short version is that back in the 80's a lot of cartoons were pushing the message that everyone should think the same and dissent was bad, whether the writers liked it or not. A writer for Garfield and Friends jumped at the chance to ridicule the message by making the buddy bears, who sing a song that condenses the message in a way that made it clear how dumb it is:

"If you ever disagree, it means that you are wrong."

I'm genuinely sorry for you.

Thank you for your condolences.

This is a good question.

Since Trump is getting brought up, remember that it was Hillary Clinton that was one of the big factors of Saturday morning cartoons dying on local television stations by being a proponent of having more "E/I" programming instead of more fun cartoons and television despite the fact that kids are pretty much full time students from an extremely early age.