Holla Forums Self Serve Ads will use data even when blocked

Big heads-up to Holla Forumsacks who think that Holla Forums is secure. Turns out it may not be so. I found that Holla Forums was using a ton of data even when idle. I did some digging and found out what was causing it.

Turns out that the site ads.8ch.net, which shares its ip with Holla Forums proper was draining data. What is ads.8ch.net? Go to the link and you're sent to the following site.

softserve.8ch.net/account/login/.

This is literally how (((Jim))) plans to raise money. The biggest issue is that AdBlocker, NoScript, and RequestPolicy do not stop the ads from actually loading. I'm sure the more tech-savvy of you are certain of what this implies.

support.google.com/dfp_premium/answer/1347585?hl=en

Heads up Holla Forums. Don't believe you aren't being tracked even with measures in place.

Other urls found in this thread:

tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7233#section-1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

bump for visibility before the mods delete, which we all know they will like the fucking Holla Forums scum they are

So you're telling me 8ch is the reason I've been running out of data every month? I guess I'll have to close out every time I need to get off

checked

Also no, the drained data is not coming from the content users have posted, even if I'm not loading anything. I can see two distinct hosts that have been transferring data to my computer. The one that actually lets me see posts is half the size of the one that's responsible for ads.

I'm using GlassWire. Absolutely great free tool. You can see this shit for yourself under the Usage tab.

I always use a VPN, sometimes Tor, before I post on image boards. I also obfuscate my browser ID too using Random Agent Spoofer. Always flush cookies/browser cache too. I've always just assumed a shady place like Holla Forums was not safe. I'm not surprised at all.

Hopefully I'm safe with what security measures I do take.

no one is ever going to care about your deadchan friendo.

Is anyone really surprised? This is basically how Jim got busted the last time. There's even some people talking about how Holla Forums tries to circumvent your VPN software.

come home white man

So… nobody then.

I think this could actually be a sign that Jim is lying to advertisers. By forcing the ads to load, even though the user can't view them, he can effectively say to the person who bought the ad space that it was seen. Even if this isn't true. Could be something more dubious but this is the most likely reason why this is happening.

Being tracked doesnt change shit.

We'll still be talking shit about anything. Why do you think officials monitor this place? Its better than mainstream news because it digs.

Most likely what is using your data is the thread autoupdater.
This has been a problem since hotwheels added the feature.

Tracking pixels don't require a constant data stream to work and I don't see any requests for them while loading pages.

Noscript completely prevents downloads from domains in your lists by blocking the requests for those elements.

Just turn off the thread autoupdater and actually posts some evidence before talking out of your ass.

Use adblock and uMatrix, it's better than NoScript. (Pic related)

Who thinks online is secure?

Josh isn't a competent person. He'd leak your information without even consciously doing so, which he has a track record of doing.

Prove it.

I don't see any options to turn it off to see if this is actually the problem or not.

Sitting on this page and the catalog for about 5 minutes has already used 4MB.

The point of ad blockers is to speed up browsing by preventing ads from loading.

How does this effect us? Spell it out for us you faggot.

Just add
softserve.8ch.net/*
to your ublock custom filter list

Thanks, user. No more annoying ads of spic girls with cum on their faces, now!

That's not softserve ads. Let me explain in a little more detail than did because I'm feeling generous.

Holla Forums uses a fuckton of data to implement the auto update scripts that update open browser tabs with new posts. This happens on desktop and mobile - anything with JS and XHR enabled. Every time the update counter reaches 0, your browser requests the thread HTML file - but if nothing has changed your browser has it cached so it doesn't transfer any data. However, if posts have been made in the thread since the last update, or mods have deleted posts, or anything has changed at all, your browser re-downloads the entire HTML file, usually more than 500 KB of data. Some threads are up to 2 MB of HTML alone.

Also, imagine how much bandwidth this uses when thousands of anons have 10+ tabs open that are all auto-updating constantly. Good thing we have cloudflare to cache all the data at a higher level! :^)

This is also why browser tabs will freeze up sometimes - it's because your browser has two separate document trees loaded and is comparing the posts from both. When the update counter reaches 0 and your browser grabs the most recent version of the thread's HTML file, it loads that file into a separate document tree. Then it compares the actual visible page you're looking at with the document tree it's holding in memory, and compares the posts on both sides so it knows whether to remove an existing post (mod deleted, for example) or add new posts to the end of the thread. This is really inefficient as well and burns a lot of CPU unnecessarily. The fucking stupid part is that you could just transparently substitute in the file you just downloaded in the background for the current page the browser is showing and update the current scrollbar position and you wouldn't waste any time comparing data. But that's still a gigantic waste of bandwidth.

The way this is done is Holla Forums specific - in other words, this is specifically coded behavior, not something a web browser just does on its own. This was also happening long before Hotwheels left the site and Jim took over, so for what it's worth it's Jim's problem to fix but it's one that he inherited from HW.

There's a way to fix it without disturbing Infinity's current cache architecture and wrecking Holla Forums's servers overnight, but it would require some work on Jim / Codemonkey's part to implement. The trick is in generating a metadata file along side the thread HTML file every time the thread is updated. The metadata file contains a list of every post ID that is visible in that thread at the time the file was generated. You also embed the byte ranges of each individual post's HTML within that metadata file. The user's browser then computes the inclusive set of byte ranges that enclose all of the post IDs it does not yet have, and requests that much smaller segment of the data from the server using the HTTP "Range:" request header. No giant HTML file downloads every few minutes, no browser CPU cycles being wasted needlessly.

I will try to get a hold of either of them to see if this idea can work. It bothered me enough to figure out why it happened but I can't do anything to fix it because I'm just an user.

Jim's business model is scaring the kikes with le ebil internet nazis and then selling their data to the scared kikes.

It seems to work quite well.

Your daily reminder that Kikewheels gave away user data to Vice for free and that Holla Forums's privacy policy is a sham

christ, OP are you a shill? an incompetent shill?
Didn't

screencaping this post

screen capped in case anyone see's this thread pop up again, unfortunately don't have time to do some tests and get screencaps with the program op was using and turning off auto, someone should do this just to confirm that is infact right

bump

still trying to get people to move on your dead chan?
also I can attest to the "huge" data usage being the thread updaters, the same thing happens on some videogame sites where they update scores for them
this is why I don't have Holla Forums or those sites on when I'm playing online

>The biggest issue is that AdBlocker, NoScript, and RequestPolicy do not stop the ads from actually loading. I'm sure the more tech-savvy of you are certain of what this implies.

I have uBlock Origin and QuickJava and I don't see any ads, even if I turn on JavaScript and cookies. I'm using Firefox 30-something.

Seriously, my phone's plan is 5GB of 4G data per month for $45/mo, for $10 more you can get 10GB, what kind of shit plan do you have?

These posts don't make any sense. Were (((you))) saying this when the 4chan exoduses were being planned?

You know. softserve does not capture any user data. Nobody is tracked with it. This is such a strange meme.

this is an Holla Forums d&c shill thread

reported

t.jim

This is actually interesting from a Holla Forums perspective. I've actually never heard of partial http req's before. Guess I should actually bother reading rfc's once in awhile.

You're saying that the browser can make a partial request and will simply update the current page based on the new data it gets from the server without the help of js?

Thanks. No more hispanic minger ads.

That seems pretty legit to me.

He may be referring to rfc7233.
tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7233#section-1

It's bad enough that moderation on Holla Forums has gotten horrible lately, but now Jimbo is pulling a Hiro on us

Even though since next failed Holla Forums has become untrustworthy, your post is just stupid.

Kek,

I have JS blocked on Holla Forums just because of the fucking autoupdate.

Autoupdate can be used to track how long you stay on a page.

Autoupdate WASTES system and network resources

Call me slowpoke but I think you can just disable it in the Options panel. Not that enabling JS on this shithole is a good idea anyway.

I wish this site didn't need JS for basic stuff like replies. Any new significant development of infinity is lost now.

These guys got it right this doesn't mean your being data mined it means the site is inefficant. The tech savy out there have been confirming this for a while now. The soft servere ads aren't tracking your data, check out what the people who did an analysis on it said in this thread. What's going on is jim once again is using the site inefficiently and hes also going to say your ads always display to advertisers.

Don't fall for the memes and pay attention.

/thread

Holla Forums pls go and stay go

BUMP!!!!!!!!!!

fuck ublock and umatrix this shit is always shills

noscript and request policy with gnu icecat's spyblock is the best combo.

>doesn't like some God-tier add-ons
Made me reply.

When will you just have a heart attack, you fat fuck? You're never going to get money off of this site. Just give up and let an actual user be admin.

Eat shit, you computer illiterate faggot.