AMD 'considering' Coreboot/Libreboot support

A glimmer of hope for de-botnetted hardware.

reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5x4hxu/we_are_amd_creators_of_athlon_radeon_and_other/def5h1b/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qyD_Q8RZh_M
libreboot.org/gnu/
github.com/rootkovska/x86_harmful
youtube.com/watch?v=yRxDvkKBMTc
phoronix.com/forums/forum/hardware/motherboards-chipsets/925901-librecore-aiming-to-be-a-better-libre-spin-of-coreboot?p=925911#post925911
librecore.info/
git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/firmware/WHENCE#n758
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

absolutely great news

It sounds like lip service to me.

Plus Snowden tweeted about it, meaning AMD could get blasted by the (((media))) for complying with the demands of a Russian uber-hacker-double-agent.

Could certainly be, however any hope at this point is good. AMD have cooperated with coreboot in the past up until 2011. Maybe it will happen again.

The media doesn't know what the fuck a libreboot is much less care and nobody believes anything they say anyway.

dey trolling lol
president putin wont let em

No, John. You are the trolls.

youtube.com/watch?v=qyD_Q8RZh_M
libreboot.org/gnu/

If you think this is great news, reality is waiting for you.

ewww get out reddit

idk, the left media are intelligent enough to support snowden, and people who watch fox news aren't intelligent enough to understand what the point is.

Unless you're talking about shit like breitbart, which only retards like you give a shit about.

Feels good man

dumb cunt spotted
called it btw

trust me, they don't care that they don't know what the fuck it is. if (((they))) only shut shit down that they knew about, we'd be doing pretty great right now.

JUST
DO
IT

STOP THE PRESSES

And then there's cucks like this.

I would rather have something that isn't x86, but if they do this, it's good.

That's a good point.

devin122 needs pic related

This is fantastic, now you won't have to buy a 10 year old thinkpad that is overpriced on ebay just for libreboot or coreboot.

When I buy an AMD GPU, I know that I can get the docs and that David Airlie will get another 100k lines of code to maintain in the kernel (muahhaha!). No, seriously that guy needs a reward for his work (and a helping hand).

It would be better if the Talos Secure Workstation campaign worked out though, in time POWER-based machines would get cheaper.

A kernel dev for you.

That depends. AMD laptops are pretty uncommon, and few (if any) modern laptops hold a candle to older Thinkpad design, including modern Chinkpads.

Gross.

When I buy AMD I know that I can't use the GPU because they still requires mandatory blobs.

I trust you on this one.

But why in the kernel ?
Userspace drivers would be so much easier to debug.

It will never happen user
Why ?
Because
Muh share olders
Muh intellectual property
Muh security if I give the key signatures to flash

Like this user said it would be better to change architectures.
X86 arch is broken see the work of Joanna Rutkowska
github.com/rootkovska/x86_harmful
And
DEFCON 20: Hardware Backdooring is Practical
youtube.com/watch?v=yRxDvkKBMTc

that link
Bwahahahaha
First he didn't respect his engagements with his partner.
phoronix.com/forums/forum/hardware/motherboards-chipsets/925901-librecore-aiming-to-be-a-better-libre-spin-of-coreboot?p=925911#post925911

Now this ?
That arrogant mentally Ill piece of shit.
The core devs didn't stayed with you, you retarded tranny, they forked and created librecore and they work closely with coreboot.
librecore.info/

Deforming reality ever.
How does he stand in the mirror and say "OK my lies will never be known and I will never see the consequences of my actions"

Francis if you read this please stop and get back to reality and be honest, it's fucking simple for gods sake.

I'm not saying your card doesn't depend on a proprietary blob, but the license for many of the firmwares blobs for the AMD cards are as free as the code.

You can find a file in the kernel source tree that lists the licenses for the blobs.

My cards free (MIT license) firmware is listed here:
git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/firmware/WHENCE#n758

They are mostly just atombios data-tables for initializing the card.

The code is free (permissive) but free yes.
But what's the point if I can't even use them.
AMD has put so much dependencies in the blobs/drm that I can't even have any good resolution of luminosity control with the libre-linux kernel.

Which card do you have?

HD 7770 (and more, lots more)

I see that shit is definitely not free. Those never cards that use the amdpgu driver all have that problem.

or any portion thereof.

I also see this statement which is pretty funny:

Are there something about never AMD cards also requiring signed firmware, so that creating a free implementation is extra difficult? I don't remember, I just think I heard something about that.

(reply to self)
Must have been Nvidia that requires signed firmware. I can't find anything that says AMD does that.

This is why I hate when people don't chose the GPLv3 because you can't add shit like this in it and then shout muh opensource muh open progressiveness.

Nah I don't think there is such a things yet or it hasn't been discovered.

Go ask "jxself" he's the maintainer of the linux libre kernel for Trisquel an user guided me to him to ave more info.
He pretty responsive and nice... if you ask nicely.

If I had to compare Nvidia and AMD.
Nvidia are the worst piece of shit on that subject.
Still I think that the nouveau team would have less work by just reverse engineering the small required blobs for AMD cards.
But hey it's not my project.

That fucking cuck, he gave them a way out.
The conspiracist in me thinks they had an intern at AMD make that post.

It's not even conspiracy tier at this point, we're strictly looking at probability since reddit is a magnet for deliberate shilling and disinformation. People are so braindead there they support whatever is already upvoted.

Not even a Freetard but holy shit that guy needs to shut the fuck up

Wasn't libreboot the one with the weirdo tranny drama?

Yes. But even now there's been no new releases since before that shit went down. The current release still has Tux hugging a GNU as the wallpaper.

Wonderful news!

So the tranny drama basically killed libreboot.

That's what you get when you make a company into a safe space for people with mental disorders.

BIOS have a wallpaper? Pic?

Yeah once it gets to the GRUB menu. I replaced it with weebshit on my Thinkpads.

Also strictly speaking Libreboot and Coreboot aren't a BIOS. They do hardware initialization and chain into a payload. This can be anything but normally it's a bootloader. Libreboot uses GRUB, it can also use SeaBIOS which does provide BIOS functionality if you really need it (Linux doesn't).