Gentoo master race

I am using Gentoo now for about a year as primary OS... Give me one really strong argument about gentoo??? Everytime i finished fresh installation of gentoo, after booting is uses only a fucking 24 megs of RAM... 24 FUCKING MEGS OF RAM!!!! When i run dwm and firefox its about 260 megs!!! Are you fucking retarded not to use gentoo???? What the fuck is wrong with you?? you are lazy to wait at least 6-7 hours for compilation of all software for flawless experience?? lazy fucks i really cannot believe this shit, lazy fucks

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20170303041848/https://chiefio.wordpress.com/2016/05/18/systemd-it-keeps-getting-worse/
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=gcc_47_optimizations&num=4
stackoverflow.com/questions/11546075/is-optimisation-level-o3-dangerous-in-g
trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/HWAccelIntro
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
web.archive.org/web/20170317001132/https://chiefio.wordpress.com/2016/05/18/systemd-it-keeps-getting-worse/
anongit.gentoo.org/git/repo/sync/gentoo.git
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Dm-crypt_full_disk_encryption
bitbucket.org/piotrkarbowski/better-initramfs.git
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

For me on a fully-fledged desktop gentoo (i3) it uses ~75mb of RAM after booting, now after about 2hours of uptime and having everything running I use, almost. It's using 1,6GB and I'm definitely happy.

thats what i am talking about, its fucking minimal, perfect for any fucking use, i really dont understand shitheads that vomit on gentoo

Because I'm a developer and can't afford to custom compile every damn dependency because I'm always switching them out.

is that really time consuming? what dependencies are you switching?

But isn't dependency switching easier on Gentoo than on binary distros? Or do binary distros install every version and variety by default?

I don't know how to configure properly the kernel.

After having compiled about 10-15 kernels myself I can give you some advice: use the debian kernel as a base for your setup, just disable and tweak the safe shit like audio, graphics, cpu settings etc. Funtoo is good for this whereas gentoo doesn't include debian-sources (not difficult to obtain though).

when i started using linux, i saw ubuntu ad on official steam site... i recompiled kernel many times on ubuntu sometimes i fucked up but thats ok since i can boot older kernel anyway... practice practice and practice! i didnt read any tutorials on *net... readme from kernel package explains everything... its not really that hard... believe me

make menuconfig && make -jX && make modules_install && make install

done...

You can be right as grub can keep the old kernels for the case of regression.

yeah, and btw, the first thing i have done on ubuntu when i was starting was kernel compilation XD i even didnt knew how to install software through apt-get correctly...

Various versions of GCC, WINE testing, MinGW, whatever cool library takes my fancy that day among 0ther things. The amount of compilation I do is ridiculous already and I already know what it's like to have to compile almost everything because I've had to use homebrew and apt-build before and compiling GCC and CLANG completely disables my little i5 laptop for hours.

you the hell are you recompiling compiler?

Find repo->Add repo->wait 1 min at most->done
Almost every good library author has an apt repo.

Because OSX's GCC is at some ridiculous version like 4.2 or something.

what version of os x is that? i am pretty sure that these latest versions have at leats 4.8.2

Debian is easier and can do the things I need it to. I can shave the memory use after boot down to 75 MB if I want to, which is good enough because all my machines have at least 1 GB of the stuff. If I'm gripped by the suckless demons I can exorcise Systemd and Pulseaudio. I can choose from stable (jessie), rolling-release (sid) and just-fuck-my-shit-up (sid+experimental). I can even run HURD. It's a really flexible distro. Not as flexible as Gentoo, but it takes a lot less work and time than Gentoo.

If you enjoy the work associated with Gentoo or if the payoff is worth it (if you manage a hundred computers with identical hardware and you deploy your custom-compiled packages to all of them, for example) Gentoo is a great choice, but it's not worth it for me.

It was back on Lion

I was using Gentoo before I changed to Debian.

I missed having binaries as an option, and with Debian I could have both. When I disagree with the maintainers choice in a package I can easily apt-get source and rebuild it like I want it. Then add it to my local repo.

Gentoo is great, but really.. laziness. Not lazy enough to not replace systemd as init of course, but still lazy.

It's about time I installed Gentoo anyway, but if I'm going to install it on a SSD, does all of these optimizations etc. really matter? Furthermore I love my GNOME desktop and don't want to switch to or even learn a fancy tiling window manager. The only selling point for me is the ability to set flags per package that will carry on with each new update, but the last time I used the distro I fucked them up and couldn't install ffmpeg.

what's wrong with systemd?

wew

There's nothing wrong with systemd. There's something wrong if systemd think it belongs on my machine.

There is nothing wrong with systemd

Not that much, actually, but a lot of people hate it.

It solves a lot of old problems with Unix and friends in new ways that don't fit Unix's philosophy. Most of a GNU/Linux system doesn't really fit Unix's philosophy anyway, though, so that's fine.

It's so useful that some software has started depending on it and a lot of distros (not including Gentoo or Debian, although Debian uses it by default and Gentoo supports it optionally) don't want to put in the effort needed to keep supporting the software that it replaces, primarily other init systems.

If you don't know what an init system is then you're not using your operating system autismally enough to need to care about systemd. It really isn't relevant to most users.

What will get me more street cred, Gentoo or Slackware?

NetBSD or Crux.

haha.

How does NetBSD compare with other *BSDs? FreeBSD is pure shit, but I'm pretty happy with OpenBSD

Maybe it's the userbase.

No, unlike you I aren't so poor that I care about a few hundred MB of RAM

Are you using the "--jobs='insert number of cpus'" option for make ?
Because that changed my world.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
web.archive.org/web/20170303041848/https://chiefio.wordpress.com/2016/05/18/systemd-it-keeps-getting-worse/

That and nearly any headless Linux without systemd will probably use that little RAM.

I could never get the hang of BSD, but I have also been interested in CRUX so I guess I'll try it.

My Gentoo isn't so lean, but then again I compiled for system-wide debug-ability (with source!).

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd

Also interested by crux, but the repos are tiny and disorganised. I'll stick with Gentoo and cry because P(ython)ortage is slow, eselect depends on bash and the toolset is fragmented as fuck (eselect, equery, eix, gentoolkit, etc...).

Fine if you're a basement dweller. 99% of linux systems are not fag boy desktop installations of armchair fanboys with no job e.g. pretty much everyone on Holla Forums.

Sysadmins and engineers who actually have jobs managing hundreds to thousands of systems are laughing at you. I have yet to meet a single paid sysadmin who ever mentioned gentoo, except as a joke. (trigger warning) In fact most linux admins I know use macs. All you need is a browser and a terminal, and you don't have time to jerk off all day while ricing out your desktop.

Yes

No, you're just completely missing the point
It's not that I can't have multiple versions, it's that I'd have to compile them when I want to use them and that is time consuming and I'm not keeping unneeded stuff on my system because I only have 64GB of storage.

You only have to compile it on one machine.
Mostly pajeets and faggots.

Gentoo allows to reduce attack surface tremendously. Probably why NASCAR use(d) it.

those are CPU optimizations.. IO speed doesnt matter

omg

i dont care about RAM, i care about useless software faggot

6-7 hours to compile base software such as xorg, browser(thats optinal as you have binary package for firefox), desktop enviroment and other stuff, after that you are clean, and also you can transfer those compiled packages to other machines

Of course it fucking does.

Why do you brag about something you don't care about?

Don't you spend more CPU time compiling then you save actually running the software, especially if you don't optimize the binaries for the particular hardware you're using (which is necessary to be able to transfer those packages to other machines)?

gentoo handbook doesnt recommend O3 because it behaves unstable in some situations

everything matters, i was speaking about CPU optimizations specificaly

you are fucking nigger, i dont care having bunch of RAM i care about my system not taking too much ram! Too much RAM taken from basic software means bloat!

You compile once, why the fuck you would want to compile KDE(for example) all over and over again? Lets say you need to upgrade, so what? KDE doesnt release major versions every day. what the fuck, and btw -O2 is good for me enough, i dont need anything else.

Why do you care about bloat, if not because of resource usage?

Holla Forums memes, probably.

Not him, but two reasons

1. Security (Reduced attack surface)
2. Autism (I like to know exactly what my comp is running)

Can be reasonable, as long as you take other more effective measures like grsecurity and such and you're running a server.
You're not going to come close to knowing that either way.

Because of dependencies and which are closely related. Gentoo hardened is top-notch in reducing the attack surface: for example compiling Mono with the +minimal USE flag and with a hardened toolchain => your binary is reduced in size, doesn't need as many dependencies(and their bugs) and on top of that you get SSP and PIE etc kernel PaX options.

I don't have patience for all the compiling and micromanagement. One of the reasons I've stuck with OpenBSD is it stays out of my hair most of the time.

Funnily enough my first gentoo setup started out of my frustration of OpenBSD and how the network setup tore through my anus. Basically I troubleshooted the network for maybe 5hours and then decided to install gentoo on my server.

Gentoo is literally more friendly than OpenBSD. If it works for you that's nice but for me a low-maintenance distro means debian.

I never had network problem, only some wireless devices that didn't work or not fully (typically broadcom and other such nasty things). I guess also a lot of the drivers don't do AP mode, so you have to be very selective if you need that, but I don't.

75mb without xorg and 180 mb with i3 and 500mb with icecat open on Arch. Its not too bad, I assume you compiled less things for firefox or is just full of nigger bloat?

I've tried installing Gentoo, didn't get too far. I should give it another go.

can i has wayland on gentoo without systemd

i installed binary package, i will compile it soon as i get my RAM back from my gaymer brother

i think you can run wayland without systemd, i am not sure though

You mean NASDAQ. But NASCAR is cool too.

I don't doubt this was maybe a problem at some point 10 years ago, but I've never had anything be unstable with O3, and I haven't seen any reports of it causing instability either.

I've been compiling everything O3 including the kernel, I've been waiting for problems but it hasn't happened.

im interested, tell me what are advantages of O3 against O2? I will consider to recompile whole system

in theory speed
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=gcc_47_optimizations&num=4

the best banter i've found about it is here:
stackoverflow.com/questions/11546075/is-optimisation-level-o3-dangerous-in-g

it seems the best case against it is if you have a really old cpu with a small cache, then performance might be worse because O3 results in larger binaries.

also i'm doing it -march=native -O3, and i'm pretty sure it passes the cache size along to gcc with march=native, so maybe that eliminates the cache size problem

i have q6600 intel... just like up there in screenshot, could it work?

Where the fuck are you people coming from?

It's not that I lack the patience, I'm just a total pleb that ran into troubles 50% of times I tried to compile anything even on Mint.

SAGE
NEGATION
NEGATED

If you don't already know, then nothing. Some say it opposes the unix philosophy by becoming too monolithic. But I'm not good enough/ qualified to have a real opinion on it, as it never effects me. Someday, maybe.

I use Gentoo and it's great and shit, but the glibc remains a cancer. I'd love to see how light a musl kernel could be but GCC and the glibc will never allow this to happen. Fuck Linus and fuck GNU.

I think Gentoo devs force -02 on any packages that are known to have problems. That's why you haven't run into any glaring problems. O3 slows things down in some cases while bringing minimal benefit in others. No reason to use it imo when O2 is already very good.

A lot don't like it simply because the interface is cumbersome compared to sysvinit. I came from Arch to Gentoo and immediately started to like OpenRC's syntax more. Syslog is also a lot more sane.

Why aren't you uclibc-ng while waiting?

But the question is if these CPU optimizations enable it to encode my placebo bluray rips to a more sensible bitrate with Handbrake faster than 20fps on this 2 core 4 thread sandy bridge mobile i7.

This tbh. I came from Manjaro to Gentoo and OpenRC just works better for me.

Maybe, but you should make sure it's using the gpu, not the cpu for that.

I don't know how handbrake does it, or how to check if it's using the gpu acceleration, but there's a bunch of different ways to configure ffmpeg to do it. You have to install some drivers but it's not that hard.

I got it going accelerated on an i5 with hd graphics no problem, that'll make a much bigger differenace than -O3 ever would.

trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/HWAccelIntro

You're retarded m8. Why? Because Full GPU encoding is dogshit. x264 on the other hand only uses a litle bit of OpenCL (you can almost forget it).

Well then is it more or less painless getting a NVIDIA CUDA stack usable for encoding ffmpeg on gentoo than fedora?

Yeah I don't really know what any of that means, so I try not to have an opinion on it. Although, deep down I'm brainwashed by this board to hate it.

how many tabs
what add-ons

reddit
they come from reddit
mods will ban you for hurt feelings now

Stick to -march=native -O2
Only use -O3 on a per-package basis if you know what you're doing or if the developer recommends it.
Speaking of ricing. Is link time optimization a meme?

NetBSD just added fully reproducible builds.
Their libc is beautiful.
SDF uses NetBSD for their cluster.

Worthwhile looking at NetBSD, much more similar to OpenBSD than FreeBSD.

LTO definitely has benefits of reducing binary size and improving program speed but will slow down your linking by a lot so you'll need to compromise. Don't do it on debug builds.

Well if i don't care about how fast it compiles, should i use LTO?

Definitely should if you care about unnecessary functions in the final binary and speedups. You should also strip your binaries if it's a production build.

Based on their grammar, I'd have to say either GameFAQs, middle school or Facebook.

Bitches, I am so Gentoo Masterrace I clone portage trees from git://git.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git with --mirror.

That actually explains a lot of shit.
That's why from time to time you see news of "ZOMG X service was hacked", "ZOMG X was compromised, change your passwords if you use X, please".
Those fuckers don't know shit about anything and just take the laziest route whenever they need to do anything.

Gentoo is for exotic cpu you retard.
if you have a regular intel/AMD shit your Gentoo desktop will run exactly like Arch

Worst post in the thread so far, and that's saying something.

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
web.archive.org/web/20170317001132/https://chiefio.wordpress.com/2016/05/18/systemd-it-keeps-getting-worse/

Wouldn't use that unless you're a Gentoo dev

These have caches and metadata and are up-to-date, use either one:
git://anongit.gentoo.org/repo/sync/gentoo.git
anongit.gentoo.org/git/repo/sync/gentoo.git

Forking is a good thing and is completely intentional. Forking activity means freedom. If you don't like the software, then you invest your resources into making it work for you i.e. fork the software that needs fixing.

Forking is not always a good thing. Often times it's done because devs and contributors don't have enough social skills to reach a compromise, or the forking party doesn't even attempt to achieve what they want upstream. The result of this is that you have manpower spread thinly instead of people working together in depth on a single project.

I don't care about the spreading of manpower. If you need more manpower, then you should find more workers to help. There are countless workers who will write code for $100/h. What I care about is freedom. Having freedom means being allowed to fork projects. The freedom of forking is far more important to me than the trivial aspect of finding programmers to work on the project.

Notice that I did not say forking is always bad, only that it is not always good. Not the same thing. I fork projects too.
As for hiring - that's just ridiculous in free software projects. People who write it must want to use it as well, otherwise you get precisely the kind of shitty software that comes from proprietary projects.

I got hired for free software projects.
What's the problem about it ?
Is still have the copyright on it and I get paid for contributing.
Sure I understand the pajeet problem but not everyone is a pajeet.

this isnt about you, dont assume other devs or companies will have the same interest as you, some will definitely care about manpower and profit

And the same shit for every fucking package and every fucking time I update anything

I'm probably doing something wrong.

don't remember exact messages, it was a while ago

Reason?
In this place?
Fuck hippies and thank you

woah that was 2013
time flies

pic related

Be sure to set the I/O scheduler to NOP in your boot args if you're using an SSD. Also, mount the directory that Portage compiles packages in to a tempfs in your RAM. You'll have more RAM than you know what to do with, so you can definitely keep all temp files in a tempfs if you wanted. You'll need to give Portage a list of packages that are too big for your RAM like gcc or libre office. This won't make compiling much faster, but it saves your SSD from being written to as much. I also have a SWAP partition, but I only use it for suspending the system. You can do this by not putting the SWAP partition in fstab, but adding it as the default partition for hibernating​ as a boot arg. All these things can extend SSD life.

forgot my fucking pic

Quad-core Ryzenless pleb.

hobby os, unsuitable for serious work

>implying my 5 years old netbook running Arch Linux ARM uses any more

That's some serious b8 there, anons.

What is wrong with you faggots? Why do you go through the proccess of ricing and making the computer unusable just so you can jerk off to the RAM usage?

Gentoo is a bit like building your own PC. Sure, you can buy a prebuilt but it's not optimal if you can spend a few hours in research and building a custom one.
Obviously this is just a stupid analog but you get the idea. Most people are just fine with Debian or whatever but Gentoo is preferable for others.

Autism demands I try though.

its great but i wouldnt run it on anything slow, compiling on another box is never fun

Holla Forums BTFO

That's not how it works, faggot.

You've got memed.

Yes, if your PC can handle it. LTO on a large program can gobble gigabytes of RAM easily.

how do you do it anons please no bully

We git gud.

Where exactly you got problem? Have you read wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Dm-crypt_full_disk_encryption yet? You'll need to enable dm-crypt target support in kernel, make initramfs and also set crypt_root pointing to LUKS device itself (eg /dev/sda2 or /dev/disk/by-uuid/something).

Here's how I do it every time. You can do encrypted /boot but for now don't bother, you can add that later.

Part 1 - cryptsetup

part 2 - lvm2

part 3 - the gentooing
>`tar xvjpf `

Then do a normal gentoo install.
But when it comes to making an initramfs, I recommend using better-initramfs from funtoo, just wget the tarball into opt and follow the instructions
bitbucket.org/piotrkarbowski/better-initramfs.git

Have fun

Wow. That's pretty stupid and lazy. You don't need to know a lot about GNU/Linux to install Gentoo. You just follow long in the book. It takes time, but most of that time is you doing whatever you want while the computer chugs away at compiling.

Been using it for a few backend services fairly recently. Could use more hardware support but very easy to setup, configure, and manage.

Newfag here, thinking of playing with funtoo on a VM to see if i replace my current kubuntu install with it. Does Holla Forums have any advice? I'm following the guide from funtoo's website. I plan on installing KDE on it too since i like KDE so much.

don't use funtoo, use gentoo
funtoo overcomplicates things with mix-ins and the like

My overall recommendation is to just go all-out and kill your kubuntu install completely. It's like switching from windows to GNU/Linux, a VM just doesn't cut it

Hold the phone there.
No.
When I was switching from Ubuntu to Arch I tried to do that, but it pretty much left my computer useless for a week while I was dicking around with it.
Sure, it helps a lot, but it's nothing like changing from Windows to Ubuntu, where you can be sure you'll at least be able to browse the net and be up and running within a day.
I recommend using the VM to learn the basics of installing/removing software, and getting a basic install up and running, and then dual-booting (now you hopefully know how not to fuck up your drive), and perfecting your install, until you're satisfied with it, before finally backing up your configs, and reinstalling completely for the last time.
It's a long and tedious path, especially if you're new to it. I also recommend using gentoo instead of funtoo because the former has a neat handbook while the latter assumes you've used gentoo before.

Found the problem.
Installing Gentoo is piss-easy, even my nan could do it. Dicking around in VMs for months doesn't do anything except prolong your lack of real Gentoo

install calculate linux you can convert your install to normal gentoo after

I suggest you switch to qemu+kvm or xen. You're a faggot if you don't.

Prove him wrong. Linking to your autist wiki and an offshoot of the Dark-N-Edgy forums that replaced the last website a NEET stopped paying for doesn't count, because none of them are technical arguments.

but "calculate thing" will be left over?

What he's saying is that forking can always be done when users invest manpower into the project. His point is that users are unwilling to invest this effort so it is therefore the user's fault for refusing to invest.

good on you for compiling. especially firefox

20 minutes. Big deal.

for you

no

Gentoo? Time sink.

I'm using Sabayon.
It's gentoo for lazy people.
But rocks.

OP is probably long gone but screenshot what your desktop looks like while only using 24MBs of ram.
I want to see if it's an usable operating system instead of a completely useless computer that anons ruin because they want to look l33t. I have a shitty computer that needs something that can actually be used instead of just played with.

I have quite a bit of experience with linux and computers but I never actually tried gentoo/funtoo. I forgot to come back here after i installed it but anyway here's how it's turned out:
Overall the proccess took 2 days. Here are some tales of things I did after:

I still haven't figured out how to uninstall old versions of kernels. I tried the 4.10-6-ck (might be unexact name) kernel and I misconfigured it. I decided that if i was going to fix the thing i might aswell run emerge --sync so then i used genkernel again and installed 4.10-8-ck. I can't uninstall 4.10-6-ck just by running emerge and specifying which version i uninstall. I wish I could just put an use flag on the kernel package I pretend to install with my kernel config file and if the config is for the wrong version then i can also specify if emerge runs make oldconfig, menuconfig so i can pick the config myself as it installs. In the end I got a working kernel with my own config but the proccess is overly complicated for no reason and i still haven't figured how to uninstall the slightly older kernel because emerge won't do it.

If I put my computer to sleep (one of the fancier newer sleep modes where it completely shuts off but keeps the memory loaded, so the computer has no lights or fans on and makes no noise and boot up is only as long as it takes for the fans to spin up) i get an increasingly big xorg error log /var/tmp/ and a copy of it in my home folder. I made a 300GB partition for funtoo and i was surprised when it was full, i managed to use the "find" command to find 2 100GB text files. Worked just fine on kubuntu, works just fine on windows.

qbittorrent's search engine doesn't work at all because all search plugins are broken. Some kind of packaging issue on the side of gentoo/funtoo's developers because i completely removed my custom make flags for python and qbittorrent and still got it, and i don't have any custom use flags for either. Had the same version of qbittorrent on kubuntu and it worked. i was too lazy to report it

When i customized my kernel with genkernel my computer would get to the part where xorg is started and the screen would go blank. After digging around the internet the solution was adding "nomodeset" to the kernel's boot configuration on boot.conf. I don't know why such an issue would arise since my config was based on the old one and i didn't modify anything related to video. And before you ask the issue wasn't not running "emerge @modules-rebuild" because i did it.

Outside the technical issues i've been having a good time and it boots faster than any other linux distro that i tried, which obviously also means 300x faster than windows.

Also forgot to mention I fixed my windows bootloader issue by copying it from a backup that sits on C:/windows/

I actually use Gentto as my primary. Everything you said is true, except the part about 6-7 hours for compilation and the flawless experience.

Don't create such shit quality threads, user. 4chan and /g/ exist for a reason. They exist so that filth like you have a place to shit in.

Go back to your designated site.

From experience, it is actually less of a time sink than Arch, since on Arch shit breaks randomly all the time.

I spent a weekend setting up my work machine with Gentoo and haven't fiddled with it since. Just updated every week and no problems or shit breaking randomly like I've had with Arch (or even Debian, where apt sometimes decides to shit itself).

Oh, you mean one of those things that never truly turns off as long as it's connected to the socket (basically a phone), with backdoored hardware and even it's own 3G anthenna on the CPU for quicker evidence planting and spying?

Yeah, those are the shit, mane.

>>>/reddit/

Use Alpine Linux. It was originally built off of gentoo but self builds now.
It is security (e.g. hardened kernel, stack smash protection) and lightweight (uses musl instead of glibc and busybox instead of GNU userland) oriented.

Oh, you mean one of those things that never truly turns off as long as it's connected to the socket (basically a phone), with backdoored hardware and even it's own 3G anthenna on the CPU for quicker evidence planting and spying?
Yeah, those are the shit, mane.

>>>/reddit/

😆👌

💯

ddit/

HAPPENING
Gentoo finally switching from gcc-4 to gcc-5 (on amd64).

I was on gcc5.4 on unstable gentoo like 5months ago my dude. Worked pretty good too, this was on x86 however.

I'm Installing Gentoo in a couple of weeks and need some flags for my setup.
Gentoo hardened, encrypted, grsecurity pax, mucl, libc , i3wm, gtk, latex, vim with python support for plugins.
I'm planning on developing C, and using latex on it. I think it might be beneficial to me to start learning secure practices.
I'm having a hard time thinking if I should use gcc or llvm or the default compiler.

I tried LTO on sdlmame once for shit and giggles, it would have taken more than 16GB RAM and probably twice as much PORTAGE_TMPDIR space

other than goofing around like that my whole system compiles absolutely fine with /tmp being a 6GB ZRAM mount

I actually use funtoo and the profiles are like a comfort function imo but then again I only use a minimal hardened profile

arch: x86-64bit
build: current
subarch: amd64-k10
flavor: hardened
mix-ins: hardened
mix-ins: no-systemd
mix-ins: dvd
mix-ins: audio
mix-ins: X

also:
emerge -pe world|genlop -p
Estimated update time: 17 hours, 46 minutes.

good luck. musl is a thing everyone recommends but no one uses.

A bunch of the shit i got installed fails to compile with LTO. I've tested it with a bunch of packages to see how it goes. I haven't gotten into any issues with the ones that did work but i don't have the time to recompile the whole system to make more packages use LTO.
Running gcc 5.3, here's my package.env:
#kde-plasma/* enable-lto#kde-apps/* enable-lto#media-video/obs-studio enable-lto#app-emulation/wine enable-ltonet-p2p/qbittorrent enable-lto#games-emulation/pcsx2 enable-lto#media-video/vlc enable-lto#dev-qt/qtwebkit enable-ltogames-fps/xonotic enable-ltomedia-libs/libsdl enable-ltoapp-arch/xz-utils enable-ltoapp-arch/gzip enable-lto#app-office/libreoffice enable-lto#media-sound/amarok enable-lto#www-client/chromium enable-lto#media-gfx/gimp enable-lto

The packages commented out are ones i tried LTO on but failed, enable-lto.conf is really simple and just adds "-flto=4 -fuse-linker-plugin" to CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS and LDFLAGS.

sorry, I just ghost bumped the thread asking where my post went because firefox wasn't displaying the posts starting for some reason

to not waste the bump: what do gentoo-hardened folks plan to do now that grsec went closed source?