Other urls found in this thread:

in.waw.pl/~zbyszek/blog/environmentd.html
gadgetdaily.xyz/a-linux-conspiracy-theory/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

in.waw.pl/~zbyszek/blog/environmentd.html

rewrite in Rust when

rust is a meme

install rhel

i just had to install a distro with systemd on it, how do i turn off logging and all the gay shit systemd does that is going to fill up and rape my ssd ?

Which distro is it, and are you aware that logging is something that your system is generally expected to do either with or without systemd?

systemd doesn't do anything that will "rape" your ssd. Turning off logging is a fucking retarded thing to do regardless of whether it's systemd or syslog doing the logging

Thanks again, Harry Poettering!

LOL ok shill, say that to the last time i used a systemd distro and my hdd was filled up in under a month with your sick BINARY logs

You don't need systemd or binary logs for logs to clog up your system. You can turn off binary logs if you want. Debian has them disabled by default.

My desktop has been the same for a few years now and it's always been stable. I used to have a logger and checked the logs every now and then but it's always the same shit. If I have problems, I might install a light logger. It's kinda like having debugging code/debuggers, no need unless you need them.

when linux got a bad case of windows.

Not an argument

see

GNU/Linux*
Linux is just the kernel.

No point in arguing with someone that stupid, nothing said will stick. If he thinks a couple megabytes of logs can "rape" an ssd there is no help for him

newfags will never understand

you're a meme

Not an argument

Systemd is overall not good, but it's bearable, and it has some advantage as well (trivially easy to create your own services).
What actually pisses me off is gtk3 and everything gnome devs do. They are deliberately turning gtk into a purely gnome component and breaking everything else that uses it, because they want to protect their "brand". All other software, including major desktop environments, can just fuck off.
gadgetdaily.xyz/a-linux-conspiracy-theory/

If you want something backported to Gtk2, I provide that service :)

The problem with that is that GTK-2's time is slowly but surely coming to an end. There will be a point, maybe because of Wayland, where things won't work anyone. Unless someone forks either of the GTK versions and gives it a new direction - same way Cinnamon and Mate devs already did with everything GNOME. But that will just fragment things in a bad way, unless there's a more unified effort to save GTK from the GNOME devs.
It seems like huge sections of desktop Linux are being re-purposed for the touchscreen and tablet market because that's where commercial opportunities are, while desktop use is being sacrificed in this process as something irrelevant. A desktop Linux user is simply not a good investment.
By the way, Redhat is now controlling GTK and GNOME as well, not just systemd.

Good God.

An example of one of the newfags

The older Gtks are not going to die. I have Gtk1 on my system too, with a small mod to have aliased fonts. Gtk1 is great, only ~10k LOC and Gtk1.13 even runs on Windows, take that Gtk3 (~1m LOC)! :)

I'm not afraid of any "mainstream dragon" I'm not riding. It's free software. I'm in control here.

Systemkys

Why. Why is this necessary. Why do they feel the need to do away with everything shell, when it's the most straightforward way to do literally everything. Fuck this severe case of NIH.

It's not doing away with the shell

Only program I currently need with Gtk dependency is Firefox. They may be overthinking their importance...

Because shell is a crappy language with multiple implementations that are not always quite compatible, and gives another attack surface as shown by shellshock. I do like shell, but I wouldn't mind if it stops being a critical part of systems, especially more specialized ones that don't need a command line user interface or shell scripting.

systemd logic

How does a component for setting environment variables add up to a larger attack surface than a full command interpreter?

You're not doing anything like comparing all of systemd to a small subset of what it makes obsolete, are you? That would be silly.

LD_PRELOAD="/path/to/malicious/library.so ${LD_PRELOAD}"
will poz every single executable you run with routines from the malicious shared object.

That's not relevant, because you can do that with either component. The point is that [systemd that requires shell] + shell would be more dangerous than [systemd that doesn't require shell].

Running an entire shell for a very small subset of its functionality is not good.

Shell & utilities are standardized in POSIX. It's your distro and maintainers problem if they're deviants who just can't into simple shell script and can't get enough systemdicks up the ass.