Cinnamon Has Memory Leaks Need New Desktop Environment

Guys I'm tired of Cinnamon having memory leaks in Linux Mint 18.1.

It's bad enough when I have to constantly restart Firefox because of its memory leaks. When I have to restart my very computer as well because everything is derping out and going retarded because it's day 14 of uptime and Cinnamon's memory usage has climbed substantially to be about 5 times what it was when I started up that really fucking sucks.

I've been waiting and waiting for them to just fix it but it hasn't happened and knowing Linux it probably never will be. It's just going to be a permanent part of the "Cinnamon Experience" from now on. It used to never be an issue but it is now.

I need a new DE that is as much a possible exactly like Cinnamon but without memory leaks. What should I switch to? KDE?

Pic related is after a restart of the current computer I'm using. It was previously using over 500 MB and going really slow and glitching out after 14 days of uptime. This is on a desktop computer; on a laptop I also have there are memory leaks too and perhaps because my overall ram available (16 GB) is way greater on my laptop it climbs even higher than it does on this desktop computer.

Other urls found in this thread:

trisquel.info/
trisquel.info/en/wiki/all-manuals
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full/Installation
jenkins.trisquel.info/makeiso/iso/
trisquel.info/fr/forum/using-jxselfs-linux-libre-get-radeons-2d-acceleration
eevblog.com/forum/chat/hacking-nvidia-cards-into-their-professional-counterparts/
web.archive.org/web/20170228062016/https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/02/apple-axed-supermicro-servers-from-datacenters-because-of-bad-firmware-update/
linuxatemyram.com/
chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/autoscroll/occjjkgifpmdgodlplnacmkejpdionan?hl=en-US
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

mint is garbage and cinnamon is worse

Gentoo + Xfce
Arch + Xfce

If you can't handle those:
Xubuntu
Debian + Xfce

Just get the fuck off mint + cinnamon

dwm

void + whatever DE you like
XFCE, Enlightenment, LXQT, LXDE, Mate
Or DE-less so you can install dwm like >718079 says

void is easy

Void is new and not good for stability. Maybe if they reach version 1.0

cinnamon(tm) is shit and every donation to mint is donation spent to Israel. Go figure. That shitty mint logo sucks too.

KDE is good but be sure to use KDE Neon instead of Kubuntu/Canonical/botnet although the good packages are not ported yet or is impossible to port due to old af debuntu packages so it's either Gentoo or Arch.
Protip: both autism distros have (if not all) most DE/wm packages you'll ever need.

Switch from Mint to Opensuse Tumbleweed, it has the best KDE out of all distros, they specifically adjust certain parts to make it more integrated like with firefox file picker.

KDE is now the best DE of all.

trisquel.info/
trisquel.info/en/wiki/all-manuals
or gentoo
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full/Installation

Mint doesn't have spyware you nigger

You can get firefox with KDE integration on other distros like arch, im using antergos with KDE now.
KDE is really nice and comfy for my heavyshit desktop.
if I wasnt using it I'd probably use XFCE instead.

KDE is bloatware

it isn't bloatware if I installed it by my own volition.
yes, KDE is one of the lead-heavy DE's. I like it on my desktop though. Its comfy bloated fluff.
one should be aware if considering installing it that its big and sometimes a little buggy, and they should consider XFCE if they want something light.
Though if its for a laptop, I honestly think a minimal at least somewhat keyboard driven setup with a WM is better than a DE of any sort. Mouse driven GUI is nice when you have a precise optical mouse, not so nice when you have a trackpad or a trackpoint.

...but Linux Mint's founder is specially noted on /new/ all the time (now Holla Forums) as having been anti-semitic.

He made an anti-Israel rant in the past (I don't think he ever showed signs of broader anti-semitism), but he does business with a company in Israel now. I don't really care about that, though, I have better reasons to dislike Linux Mint.

A couple days ago there was an user going on about Cinnamon's shit-tier code and how they never accepted pull requests fixing memory leaks, shame he didn't go into much detail.

I made this guide a while back >>>/poltech/ and I add little shit to it once in a while

An user on a completely non Holla Forums board suggested trisquel in a very autistic way so I told him to pipe down instead of fulfilling my curiosity and asking him for details.
I need to rewrite the guide for devuan and I was thinking maybe trisquel since it's a ubuntu fork for the vidia

can you guys give me any input on this, or maybe recomend a decent ubuntu fork?

SHit I meant >>>/poltech/66

what is adobe flash player and the terms of license that I never read.

try Linux Mint MATE or Ubuntu Mate

Try Ubuntu MATE. Devuan is an autistic splinter distro that's not very suitable for novice users who need guides. It's a splinter of a distro that's not especially novice-friendly, and its reasons for forking are related to the needs and preferences of certain advanced users.

Ubuntu MATE is fairly Windows-like in its interface, and has a few other DE presets. I saw an interview in which one of the main developers said it was partially a response to the bad decisions made in Linux Mint.

Trisquel is prety good, but it insists on free software only. If you want an Ubuntu derivative for vidya you probably don't care about Trisquel's main selling point, and keeping everything strictly libre reduces hardware compatibility a lot.

He is/was for the Palestinian cause, which I don't find strange at all, it's actually pretty common among people interested in politics.

alright
yeah pretty sure its debian without systemd but correct me if I'm wrong
a mate guy or an ubuntu guy?
yeah the guy in the non Holla Forums thread was really pulling the free as in freedom autism and I didn't want him derailing the thread so instead of arguing I just tried to end it quick, if it's not suitable for vidia I'll shelf it for now

was all of mint shit or just cinnamon?
what all was shit about mint?

A Ubuntu MATE guy. One of the people managing that particular spin, not necessarily someone closely associated with the internal goings of more central Ubuntu/Canonical.

The distro in general, but Cinnamon in particular has issues too.

They make bad packaging decisions. They give their own packages names that already exist, making it difficult to install the software that originally had that name for no good reason, they blacklist all updates for certain packages because they otherwise break in combination with Mint software, and their standards for software quality are supposedly subpar, especially compared to the standards of mainline Ubuntu.

hey /polquean/ whats up ?
Making a devuan manual is a good idea (since systemd is out of it)

I recommended trisquel last time because it's honestly the simplest distro that exist for people who migrate from windows to gnu/linux.
The interface is more intuitive than Mint (last time I checked in 2016).
People have less trouble with it.
The only thing to do for average joes is to add some PPAs to have a recent version of x software like libre office for example.

The next version of trisquel comes with mate and the interface is even simpler than before.

Hardware incompatibility is a problem indeed, but there isn't much of it.
There's AMD gpus and intel wifi cards that aren't compatible at all.

alright
fucking christ
that explains why package names have kept changing since I started using mint over the past 2 years

SHHHHHHHH
I usually lurk there instead of posting, I just don't want it turning out like /fem/ with all the /r9k/ fags flooding it scaring all the good vibes off
also you linked the wrong post
yeah that's what I was thinking since I heard of it like a year or half ago
but what of vidia accessability user?

>jenkins.trisquel.info/makeiso/iso/
noice
shit that's a big dent in the vidia issue

no problem fam ;)

It's a good idea but like this user said it's not made for user friendly newbies.
It's more for newbies sysadmins.

Well you can always remove the blacklisted components but that isn't the point of why they where removed.
When you see a malware that is loaded from the firmware to the OS you generally don't want it.
That's why tails is also working on integrating linux-libre they know now that non-free drivers can compromise security.
We live in a shit part of history things would be so much nicer if manufacturers just let their customers do whatever they want with the products that they buy/own.

You can always try to enable 2d acceleration via jxself supported kernels.
trisquel.info/fr/forum/using-jxselfs-linux-libre-get-radeons-2d-acceleration
To make it short on why some kernels can work with acceleration and other don't .
It's that since AMD integrates some video function in the linux kernel for example the DRM.
The more recent a version of the kernel is installed the less functionality you will have since it requires a more recent and blobbed open source driver.
I have seen this.
First I had 2d acceleration.
Then I didn't
Then it was the resolution that I couldn't change.
Then it was the luminosity of the screen that I couldn't change.

just try it, it lacks for now a lot of packages/software.
It boots up just great and is rendering correctly.
The new drivers and mesa are working nice.
The GUI of MATE is just really what was missing for Trisquel, it sad to see how gnome went full SJWs and there interface is just shit nowadays.

Good luck user.
See you on the other board (with less autism).

True for like 1 obscure package that nobody using Mint even knows it exists.
They hold back certain basic stuff because it could possibly maybe potentially make someone's system unbootable (e.g. new kernel or bootloader version could have unexpected regressions for some hardware combo). They do this because such updates broke Ubuntu multiple times in the past and they don't want it to happen to Mint as well. They ask you if you want this and you can easily disable it at any time. It's just their paranoia about something going wrong for any single one of their users. But nothing will actually ever happen to your system if you update all packages like on any other distro.
Completely true, you will never look at Mint or Cinnamon the same after you see some of their messy code. Which is why you should eventually move to something else if you can get over your own laziness - the only reason to stay on Mint.
But it has to be also said that from UX standpoint their forks of GNOME software ("x-apps") are by far the best out there, and it's unfortunate they're not present on other distros because GNOME's went to shit and MATE's alternatives can be kinda stale and clunky. Just look at Nemo vs. Nautilus vs. Caja.

fuckin drm, thanks user

must by why it's such a great first linux

I don't know why mint is considered good for a "first linux" over one of the ubuntu flavors.

xubuntu has a simple and functional graphical installer and works fine out of the box.

I'm too lazy and dug to switch distros, I just use ubuntu for everything and upgrade to the next version, and have been for years.

is this what it feels like to be old?

old people dont use computers

I know plenty of old people that use computers, hell my dads bordering on 70 and he still builds his own computers.

email is not using your computer user

i've seen his browsing history, he does a lot more than send emails. I'm still scarred from seeing that shit.

try going to a LUG, it's almost always nothing but codgers trying to install windows linux edition on their ibm 8080s. There's always a lot of greasy looking losers that spout nothing but inane comments.

Linux User Group?
like Stallman recommends?

its all coming together

GNU/Linux*

xmonad

seriously fuck stallman
I'm so tired of his hypocritical shit

Point some out.
Right now.

Because Cinnamon is currently the most universally intuitive DE on Linux. More than others it's at the same time traditional, simple yet featureful, efficient to use, and generally well-rounded. And Linux Mint is the distro where Cinnamon is setup the best. It is hard to migrate away because every other DE will be missing something you used in Cinnamon or something will be non-intuitive. That's purely the UX side of it, purely as a DE.
It's unfortunate though that the code quality is not that good and that it's being developed for one specific distro which also makes some poor decisions. But for an average user that doesn't matter at all and it shouldn't, it "just werkz(TM)".
On the other hand, if you're autistic like me then you will move to some other distro and build your own system from a minimal base with just a WM so that it's "just the way I want it(TM)". It will be far more usable to me than Cinnamon, but everyone else will have no idea how to use it.

He tells others to use a certain operating system, which he also uses himself. He tells them how to get help installing it if they're unable to install it themselves, because installing an operating system is not trivial enough for everyone to be able to do it. I don't see anything hypocritical in that.

In what way does he take money from Microsoft? Is it an unconditional donation? Why would he have to reject those?

@OP
try out LXDE
It is very lightweight and resembles cinnamon pretty much. Programs that come with LXDE are lightweight as well. I am trying it atm

if he cared he could give some of his money to make a handy dandy easy to follow guide

I guess being on the take form microsoft is acceptable, thanks for letting me know Holla Forums

looks nice

FSF-sponsored distros have, in fact, made handy dandy easy to follow guides.

It depends on how it happens, but does it happen at all?

kys

I have tried this on people who have never use a gnu/linux distribution before and it always was MATE who had the easiest rate of adaptation.

I know a windows server tech guy
when discussing windows 8 he talked about how windows users should not even be using the start button any more and instead using the search function, like they do on ubuntu and can on mint
I countered with shit like it requires having the entire computer indexed and how no non-tech person is gonna leave their computer on all night for that shit becasue money and he conceded my point

tl;dr did mate have the search thing?

I install distros for people who don't know how to use them all the time does that make them hypocrites ?
Implying no one can be hypocritical ever.
The free software movement isn't about RMS user.
The guy just advise to use free software because it's the right thing to do, to have control of your computing life.

Don't associate the free software movement with RMS or anyone else, yes he started it, he says retarded/autistic shit like anyone of us.
But it doesn't change the why we will always need free software (and hardware now).
Retarded old feuds have being dividing free software users for a long time it needs to end.

For the linux foundation yes not for the FSF.

Yeah I was one of these guys I hate myself for being one.
I understand the methodology behind this.
The less shit the user can do the less problems theoretically occurs.
This isn't entirely true.
That's one of the reasons of why I switched to free software.

I haven't seen it on MATE....
Well on the trisquel alpha version that is.

nice reframing

I actually just looked and found it on mint mate

I was just reminded of the right stuff and the argument between the pilots and the scientists over flight control a hatch and a window

This. Switched from Cinnamon to Mate, and never looked back.

can you share your experience user?

Cinnamon and MATE are literal meme DEs. Xfce does everything they do but better and with a smaller footprint. LXDE and KDE are other good options but they serve a different niche.

support that claim if their so great

And that's my story.

Thinking of transitioning from mint 17 to Devuan, maybe. If i can get all my PPAs across it too, i'd change in a heartbeat. I don't particularly care about my freedoms as much as sorting my rare pepes, my book collection, or my web admin stuff. I can do that with Firefox, Hydrus, and Calibre.

Well since this thread has deviated from the OP it's as good as any to ask about systemd. I've been using plain Manjaro for a while quite happily, but I know there's Manjaro OpenRC, what are the advantages of switching? I have had Systemd annoy me once or twice with setting stuff related to suspend/hibernate but not enough to motivate me to switch.

Elementary OS seems to be working nicely for me.

When did RMS ever said how to install your own OS ?
Like said before he just promotes the use of free software.

Still what was said is still true.
You haven't given enough information to not lead to the said conclusion.

I have a better understatement of this conflict now, thanks user.
I understand the point of Torvalds.
But Torvalds isn't understanding the GPLv3 and I think that other freetards hasn't understood Torvalds point.
Torvalds only wants tho see code advancements via sharing, ok that's good.
But what's the point of making better software via sharing if you can't apply the said progress when the hardware/firmware stops you from doing so ?
When you buy hardware it's yours you don't rent it for gods sake.
I wonder if Torvalds point evolved because he his young on that vid.

I haven't that shit on trisquel 8 (mate) (pic related)

thanks user
here is a story in return
and that's how I became certain that linux mint 18 is shit

whats the sell on it and can you vidia?

no search feature?
I want to say maybe it's an ubuntu fork thing but then I remembered it is an ubuntu fork

It's indeed an ubuntu fork but without the shit that ubuntu spreads everywhere.
The maintainer even if he isn't available all the time seems to care about his work and even if trisquel 8 is still in alpha it's pretty usable.

Well except systemd, but someone is working on that and it's feasible it just needs a bit more tweaks.

I'm with him. As long as they release the source code, I don't see the problem.

If I wanted to modify my TiVO (don't have one, barely know what it is) I would open it up and flash the rom. Oh, they require a signed rom, then I would mod the shit, like I would a game console.

I would rather throw my money at someone who makes it easy for me to tinker with it, but I don't have a problem when someone wants to release something that's not built to be modified.

If we want people to use free hardware and free software, we should make it. We shouldn't waste our time and effort on complaining that someone sees the world differently.

its an early DVR
you could record TV with it
it's now a built in feature of most TV shit like satelite

I dig your video

Well it's not especially the tivo see android for example.
Hardware locked material is the thing that can't be avoided sometimes, see the Intel ME or PSP for example the latest generation of ME and PSP is impossible to remove or disable for more than 30 min and from the recent talks in the coreboot and libcore devs it's not feasible and time on other platforms would be much better spent.

It's easier said than done my friend.
A computer basically asks for almost all the gathered knowledge of man kind.
Making hardware is the worst area in the computer world see the eoma68 mailing list for example the guy went to ARM helped them and was treated like shit the other day.
Plus lets not talk about where and how 99% of the hardware is being produced.

Plus not having control of software like the firmware is letting manufacturer be bitches see for example the tweak to transform your nvidia geforce to a quadro.
eevblog.com/forum/chat/hacking-nvidia-cards-into-their-professional-counterparts/

And we can also talk about the recent apple firmware backdoor
web.archive.org/web/20170228062016/https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/02/apple-axed-supermicro-servers-from-datacenters-because-of-bad-firmware-update/

There is no good reason to not have access to the software that's in the hardware.

Ha yes I saw this in france a few weeks ago, the owner of the drone added a taser defense mechanism on his 3D printed drone, the bird didn't like what happened.

Indeed.
Funny to say that in some of them you can have your recorded vid only for a few weeks (then it gets auto deleted) and you cannot backup it.

Golden Eagles are huge. Watch on YouTube as they pull goats from a cliff to their doom. Sad!

The use of a bird against a drone isn't very nice. The bird could get hurt.

Why do I feel like I get a little gayer inside everytime I read your post? It's not even the name, either; I see the post first and your namefag last. Why do you think that is?

must be that last line

I miss when shit ran better tho

I've been using dwm for the last decade. Hasn't wronged me yet. Who needs features when you can have reliability, speed and low-memory footprint.

looks nice

this

OpenBSD + XFCE
Debian + XFCE

Anything else is cancer maintained by idiots and larpers.

I'm probably going to do that. Too bad my thumbstick for installing new OS's is still fucked right now. I'm either going to have to shell out money or wait for [redacted] to finish fixing it. [redacted] fucked it up in the first place, heh

Plebian.

XFCE

TRISQUEL 8 IS OUT??

Yes but it's in alpha.
see:

Oh nice, thanks. Do you know how close to done they say it is?

Well it depends on ruben.
Since the trannyboot fiasco he's been having a hard time.
Otherwise he works on it when possible.

Today I had to restart my computer again because of memory leaks, here's the before and after memory use.

There's a modified mint-menu for mate.
Other than that, it like every other DE comes with a built in alt+f2

You have the source, go fix it. :^)

How big is the source code?

It looks like it's a lot of shit that is leaking memory, there's so many different processes in there which all end up climbing in their memory use and not ever going down.

What a pile of shit. I wish I was a NEET and had the time for this, the way things are going, I sure as hell don't want to start using Windows.

This thread is cancer.

Something that you can install on most distros and isn't native to Mint

Cinnamon is going from using about 80 MB when I start up my computer, to, several days later; 610 MB. At that point it's too fucking laggy and I'm spending an entire hour waiting for non-responsive programs, trying to save my notes, and shut everything down so I can restart.

Meanwhile, Firefox goes from like 200 MB when I start it up, to about 1.6 GB or 2 GB before it can't go any further and I have to restart it because it's a laggy piece of shit. On another better computer I have, it reaches like 3 GB. No matter how good your computer is, the piece of shit will keep using more and more until it reaches a point of having to be restarted due to non-responsiveness.

You're trivializing what is a major fucking issue that absolutely DOES need to be addressed.

My fucking fellow nigger of taste

I want to like XFCE but the theming program doesn't let me change the window decor and I don't want to do it the hardway.

Also, I very much hate the shitty way it handles panel items like the clock and whatnot.

KDE is shit performance-wise.

You don't know how memory allocation works in modern browsers, first of all. It will allocate as much as it calculates it can, instead of using slower disk.
Second of all, Firefox is laggy because it's single threaded shit.
I'm not sure if Cinnamon is leaking, but I'd be surprised if it was. More than likely, it's fine, and the allocation is similar.

Unused memory is wasted memory. Never forget it. When you need it, it will be released. Worst case scenario, it swaps, but it's likely that it will release.

There is something very wrong when I can have firefox open with 20 tabs and it's using 1 GB of memory and then I close 19 of those tabs, leaving only 1 tab open, go to pic related and hit "clear cache", and refresh my one last tab; and the memory usage still stays at 1 GB and actually continues to climb. Nothing but closing firefox completely will do. Hell, I can have firefox just sit open on one of my computers with a blank tab and no actual webpage loaded, and come back to in a couple days and my damned computer is overheating and Firefox is using 2 GB of memory. This happens on my laptop all the time.

I'd suggest the Wangblows distro OP, it's specially tailored for memory leaks.

user, I...

Listen, retard, it's been explained time and time again on this board how modern browsers allocate memory. You're the most dangerous, worst kind of user, the kind who thinks he knows what he's talking about, but actually doesn't. You take a look at your infallible task manager and reason that "Firefox is stealing my memory" despite the fact that you have 4GB free, and then you reason that the reason your system is slow is because Firefox allocated all that memory, and won't ever release it.

You're incompetent. You do not know what you are talking about. That's all that needs to be said. And, again, unused memory is wasted memory. Repeat it until you get it through your thick as fuck skull. Then go run firefox on a virtual machine with significantly constrained memory and see what it does.

Oh, and this isn't even getting into the fact that those numbers in your task manager are in all likelyhood inaccurate for many processes. Most of the time, it's "what amount of memory would this process be using if it were the only process running."

Repeat after me: free memory is wasted memory. Free memory is wasted memory. Free memory is wasted memory. Free memory is wasted memory. Get it through your skull, and fuck off. You're a retarded windows user who has no idea how your system works and your habit of checking the memory use constantly and trying to prune it is a holdover from your winfag days.

Is this bait?

No, it's not.
Free memory is wasted memory.
Prove me wrong. Until you learn enough to do so, don't bother replying you stupid winfaggot.

You have no fucking clue how memory allocation or memory monitoring works, you dumb shit. Get off Holla Forums and go back to cuckchan /g/.

linuxatemyram.com/

Why the fuck does firefox with no fucking tabs (just blank) go from using about 100 MB of memory to 2 GB in about a week and overheat my computer? How is that GOOD? That's fucking retarded. It crashes my computer and it's doing fuck all, just leave it open and it always happens. Pic very fucking related, firefox right now, I am trying at this very moment again to get through all my tabs and copy the urls to xed (text editor) so I can close this thing again and restart it. This is shit! I can run firefox on this computer for about 2 days at most before it's unmanageable and has to be closed. This is NOT the same as using the memory in a smart way, it's a fucking memory leak.

In case anyone is retarded, "Web Content" and "firefox" are together; those processes are shitting themselves.

I program and I've had memory leaks before and they fuck everything up. Memory leaks have to be fixed. There's nothing smart about them, they're a retarded mistake.

When everything is non-responsive and it's taking a minute+ just to shift tabs right now this isn't good at all.

Soon as I close Firefox and restart it, no more lag. I can then open up like 20 tabs and there won't be any issue; but come back to my computer tomorrow and suddenly even though I haven't been doing shit it's using a ton more memory and the thing is on the edge of crashing and everything is non-responsive.

I have literally never used Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10. I've been using Linux for a long fucking time. The last time I used a machine with Windows it was Windows Vista.

There is something wrong with Firefox when every other browser does not use nearly the same amount of memory. This faggot says all this shit about "how modern browsers allocate memory" but Chrome, Chromium, and Brave all don't do this and I don't think the other browsers do this. I use Chrome all the time to play youtube videos and Firefox for everything else. Chrome runs forever, going from one vid to another, and never climbs in its memory use. The exact amount of memory it uses fluctuates a little, but it'll stay within a certain range of around 100 MB give or take a bit. Meanwhile Firefox keeps climbing and climbing until it's 2 GB and the whole thing has to be restarted. So is Firefox the "only modern browser"? None of the other browsers do this shit. I keep using Firefox because of the extensions and the middle-click scrolling and so on; but it keeps fucking crashing after 2-3 days.

I like suckless ideas an all but dwm is a fucking piece of shit.
Tried it 20 minutes, uninstalled it right after.

Retarded shit, I never had problems until Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.

Chrome = runs fine even if I leave it on for weeks
Firefox = turns the fans on for my GPU, the whole computer is overheating and trying its hardest to run it in just 2-3 days; it's more memory intensive than fucking Steam & Dota 2.

Btw, I've been on Holla Forums since its inception, and I originally came from /prog/. I have never even visited /g/ before.

chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/autoscroll/occjjkgifpmdgodlplnacmkejpdionan?hl=en-US

whats the limit to autosave feature?

I know about that faggot but it doesn't scroll smooth. I have exactly that extension in Chrome. Sometimes the extension works, sometimes it doesn't, and when it does it still isn't the same as in Firefox; which is why I'm going to continue to use Firefox while I wait for Chrome to have a proper scroll (amongst other reasons). It's better than no scroll at all but it shits itself on a 4k screen, it's practically unusable with 4k. It's fine for smaller resolution screen. Firefox on the other hand I can scroll at 4k resolution and with various levels of zoom onto the page no problem.

What's the "no keeping browser history" feature that I require to have on at all times less the normies in my place freak out about it?

btw, I have more tabs closed now, but firefox is at 2.3 GB and shit is freezing repeatedly. I wish I was filming right now to show you how I can't even see the text I'm typing right now as I'm waiting for it to actually show

Are you fucking joking, retard? Chrome allocates way more memory than Firefox in a head to head comparison.
Just stop replying.

I'm having the same problems on debian. Decided to just go back to using awesome, but I've forgotten how to use it somewhat. Oh, well. I am running this on a 795 and a 6970 still, so I guess it's time to live within my means.

It doesn't ever show up in system monitor as using 2.3 GB

There is something wrong. I might not be describing the problem correctly but there is definitely something wrong.

I suggested no such thing, I meant pic related.
But judging by the autism you displayed so far, this will probably not be good enough for you.

Chromium isn't one process, moron.

This is by far the most harmful way to think and I can't stand seeing it all the time.
This bullshit undoes years of progress. People are seriously stating that it's okay for the first program to just allocate a huge pool just because it was free at the time, that the memory manager in their program is somehow a better choice than letting the OS itself manage memory across multiple processes. This is so stupid.

This is the main defense people fall back to and it's just plain wrong, memory that is not used is 1 of 2 things, actually in use for things like caching which is important, or waiting to be used by A DIFFERENT PROGRAM. I don't know what crazy world people live in where they think people only run one application.

That memory isn't yours, it's mine, and I like to run other programs, if everyone used the same shitty excuses and management logic then we'd be stuck running one program at a time instead of multiple at once, and the whole "I'll just allocate what's free for myself :^)" logic falls apart with just 1 other instance.

I hate you people so much, it's lazy at every angle. My program isn't shit, just buy more ram so we can use it inefficiently, and make sure not to run anything else designed this way either or it will be bad for you. You don't understand I need to embed a web browser so that I can write the ui in JS, it allows me to talk to the api easier too, instead of writing a single program for the task I split it into a client and daemon with helper programs, all written in different languages so that I can include this other library that glues them all together. But at least you can write and sync your todo list for the low cost of 8GB per instance and livestream it to facebook while doing so.

George made a similar note taking application in the same style and it's all statically linked just like mine so it wastes a shit ton of memory to run them both at once, just buy more ram. Since it's all synced to the cloud you don't need a local file cache either.