What's the news on finally getting better batteries? I was doing some research myself...

What's the news on finally getting better batteries? I was doing some research myself, but haven't found too much of promise.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/sKkNS
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_II_engine#DOHC
amazon.com/PowerBear-Samsung-Extended-Battery-Protective/dp/9707716371
fossbytes.com/goodenough-solid-state-battery-glass-electrolyte/
inaohtfdhtulgokq.onion/9df51569d91d750b96815435f51c9bd7/braga2017.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Battery improvements are happening right under our noses. In the 1990's we could barely get 3 hours of usage in a laptop computer. In this age, it is very common to get 8 hour life for light usage.

You are not a chemical engineer working in the industry so you don't know the techniques that are coming out of academia and being implemented in the marketplace.

Actually I think that's more thanks to modern hardware using A LOT less power.

I mean my old 3310 has a 1000mAh battery, my 9000 Communicator has an 800mAh battery. A Galaxy S2 has a 1650mAh while a S5 has a 2600mAh. Meanwhile my Note 4 has 3200mAh. That's not exactly leaps and bounds, especially considering how phones have gotten physically bigger due to being media consumption devices and thus have physically larger batteries.

I mean yes there have been improvements, but overall we're talking like... ~250% increase over ~25 years. That's definitely nothing amazing.
Hell, even internal combustion engines have had a larger efficiency boost than that over the same timeframe.

Not happening unless somebody discovers a whole new battery chemistry that is cost-competitive with Li-Ion/Li-Poly. There's physical limits on how much (rechargeable) energy you can store within a given mass/volume, and modern batteries are pretty close to that.

There's a new type of battery coming using graphene which splits the cells up and allows for very fast charging.

A conceptual method for fueling the electric car is being developed, since charge stations take too long of a time. One idea is to recharge the car by filling a tank with spheres that are batteries. Essentially replacing the fuel tank with a battery bank of balls.

Some student created a fast charging battery before the one with graphene.

These are some things that I remember from 3 years back up until this point.

There's also talk about hydrogen fuel cell batteries, but the problem was that the membrane had to be platinum and it decays quickly, so it wasn't profitable to develop. The guy with the coal inventions and graphene microtubes claims that his coal graphene membranes solved the issue of the hydrogen fuel cell, making it viable to use. Problem is that graphene costs a lot to make right now, so scientists are trying to find a cheaper way to make it.

Can we focus less on getting massive amounts of battery life and instead on making an adequate replacement for Lithium Ion that you know... DOESN'T BURST INTO FLAMES RANDOMLY

It already it exists, it's called proper testing, quality control,checking on suppliers and not trying to be absloute thinest device around. Source: archive.is/sKkNS

that was just shoddy manufacturing and design

Batteries have gotten better. But none of that matters if the device just demands more power anyway.

Kind of like how computers have gotten faster, but operating systems and programs have become bloated to match.

I don't think so. ICEs are still approximately 30% efficient.

Talking about efficent ICEs, Opel's C20XE has a 37% efficency: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_II_engine#DOHC

That's pretty unheard of in late 80s, if you ask me.

You don't compare batteries by mAh, you compare them by watt hours. A 12 volt 500 mAh battery has a higher capacity than a 3.7 volt 1000 mAh battery. My ~2001 Toshiba Satellite laptop has a 48.6 watt hour battery (10.8 volt 4500 mAh) that's about twice the size of my 2008 netbook's 32.6 watt hour battery (7.4 volt 4400 mAh). That's about a 33% increase in capacity over 7 years. Furthermore, the best 18650 cells available on the market today are 3.7 volt 3400 mAh, meaning a 50.3 watt hour battery that's the same size as the battery in my 2008 netbook is now possible.

They have batteries that involve nuclear decay inside of a diamond and can last tens of thousands of years but you know... that costs money

I have a 3.85v, 7800mAh, 30.03w battery in my phone
Literally takes a week to die; full brightness, 4G LTE

There is no way the average voltage of that battery is that high unless it stops discharge very early
Either way it's shit

hold on i'll get a picture

amazon.com/PowerBear-Samsung-Extended-Battery-Protective/dp/9707716371

couldn't get a picture shit laptop camera isn't good enough for focusing on text
also too lazy to get other phone

What part of "either way it's shit" did you not understand?

Do you have any actual reasoning behind your claim, or do you just expect everyone on this board to value the opinion you put forth in your low effort post without any evidence or explanation?

There's actually people developing electrolytes from polymers or ceramics that shouldn't be flammable. Sadly no big implementation yet though.

High end of discharge voltage = wasted capacity, it's that simple

Li-Ion Battery Inventor Creates Breakthrough Solid-State Battery, Holds 3X Charge

fossbytes.com/goodenough-solid-state-battery-glass-electrolyte/

Paper:
inaohtfdhtulgokq.onion/9df51569d91d750b96815435f51c9bd7/braga2017.pdf

The mans last name perfectly describes his most popular invention