Learning matlab

Who came up with this godawful syntax?
What a mess. Anyway, does anyone have any good matlab learning materials they recommend? A particular textbook, youtube series, or MOOC course?

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/software/octave/
8ch.net/tech/res/711062.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

gnu.org/software/octave/

Matlab sent a probe to pluto
Get memed on kiddo

pluto isn't even a planet, is that supposed to be impressive or something?

You have no idea what horrible kinds of syntax and overabstraction exist if you throw a fit about muh braces and vectorization.

Scientific Computing with Matlab and Octave is decent.

You forgot to mention that you have to pay for it before you can use it, which means it's automatically proprietary garbage in my book.This is why SciPy is popular.

The Machine learning course coursera had covered parts of matlab/octave.

Don't. It's a proprietary garbage language. Learn Python + numpy + scipy.

Stop projecting Winfag.

I don't use windows.

That's the line Pajeet always uses. Nice try.

They didn't do a very good job explaining themselves, but freedom is especially important for the platform you're using. It means you're not limited by arbitrary decisions of the people who own the software. You'll always be legally allowed to run your own programs, and since anyone is allowed to port the platform you have a good chance of still being able to run your software thirty years in the future even if MathWorks goes bankrupt next year and everyone starts using Neo-Oberon on RISC-V.

What is gnu Octave
8ch.net/tech/res/711062.html

Fair points, but what matters more to engineering firms is the quality of the software. If the collection of projects comprising SciPy are attracting contributions from universities, perhaps this isn't much of a problem.

Someone here does not know about R.

Also Matlab is only good for writing quick and dirty code. If possible using only operations on matrices.

how does IPython compare to Matlab and Octave?

Not OP here. I pushed that for my research group, but we seem to be going with MATLAB : (.
Now we are using a mixture of MATLAB, R, python, and Mathematica. I'm expecting some C or C++ to become necessary soon too as we build a new instrument.

IPython is a FOSS attempt at creating the Mathematica notebook.
Basically you run your code and see the results in the same space you are writing the code in.
Some people really like it for data exploration and trying new ideas.
I haven't gotten used to it tbqh. I'm used to just knowing what I need to code, writing it in files, debugging, running, and then opening any saved results (plots etc...)

well I've been thinking of busting out my old Bronstein handbook of mathematics and try to teach myself something and thought that this easy to use interface is a good choice for such an endeavor

OP here, I'd use python or something else if it was up to me, but it's for a college course. I'm also using Octave because fuck paying for software.

Everything should just be free maaaaaaan. Let's all share maaaaaaaan.

Where do you think you are?

Like, Broski, just pirate Mathematica already...

bump