Why do people purchase hardware incompatible with the OS they want to use?

Why do people purchase hardware incompatible with the OS they want to use?

Other urls found in this thread:

openbsd.org/papers/opencon06-docs/index.html
uefi.org/members
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

hipsters aren't people

The same reason they make faggots of themselves on twitter.

Because they don't know how to shop. My HP laptop worked just fine with Gentoo pretty much right after buying it.

Who the fuck buys a new laptop every 2 years? My current one is 4 years old, and I can't think of any reason to replace it.

Depends what you use it for. If you use it to just shit post here there's no need to buy a new one. If you really use it as a work machine it's pretty dead after 2 years.

When I did a lot of field work mine lasted about a year and a half. Constantly running on battery, carrying it all over the place, in and out of air ports (pretty sure all the security scans aren't good for it), one little bump here another there and it's done.

And if you're someone who does video editing and other "heavy" shit on the move and are reliant on the latest (even more bloated) software you're in a spiral of constantly having to upgrade.

Its not Linux' fault, but its not the fault of the hardware devs fault either. This kind of problem is systemic. Linux has poor support for things like ACPI for its Microsoft-centricity and because it affects portability. Things like ACPI and UEFI are Microsoft-centric because, while Microsofts software is less than ideal for privacy and personal freedoms, they were the forefront of software research for much of the 90s and early 2000s and apealed more to engineering guys vs Linux, which has historically been the favorite of networking guys.So their standards were ultimately adapted. Concepts like the "Wintel Standard vs the IBM PC standard" didn't help either

I never have that problem, my laptop manufacturer builds an operating system specifically designed for my hardware.

I'm not very "tech savvy" but how can your hardware be incompatible with maintream-alternative OS? The only relevant piece should be the CPU right? It's not like you're going to find any laptop with a CPU that isn't from Intel or AMD

I never have that problem, my laptop manufacturer builds an operating system specifically designed for my hardware.>The only relevant piece should be the CPU right?

What causes people the most problems is usually the graphics card. It's possible a new card won't have good, or well-tested drivers. It took FreeBSD ages to get integrated graphics support working on Haswell CPUs

Ignore that first part.

lol!
The problem is drivers my friend. And even little things like ACPI support. If you're particularly unlucky then Linux will fail to even read the battery or the screen brightness control. This has happened to me more than once, typically on newer devices with Atom chips. Linux has always has poor support for the latest hardware. It usually takes a good couple of years before they catch up. Granted they are getting better but Linux will always have to compete with Windows, which works with everything as long as its PC

How do you even manage to breathe?

fuck nose, every laptop my work has shoved in my face has worked.

Sorry mate, this is horseshit.

Likely the laptop with the obscure hardware has been preinstalled with the drivers from the manufacturers.

Wipe it and do a vanilla install and be prepared for a world of pain.

Guess they expected a non-shit OS that can work on almost any hardware, like windows.

You get what you pay for.

While it is true that Windows has no package managers and you will have to hunt down a lot of drivers, the same generally cannot be said about the network drivers anymore. The network drivers on a fresh Windows install will generally almost always work nowadays since they streamlined the network driver framework sometime around the Windows Vista era. Before that it, in the Windows XP days and prior, you really were fucked because not even the network drivers worked on a fresh install, forcing you to have to use the OEM CD or God forbid you lost that because then you'd need to borrow a friends computer or head to a public library or something.

Now on Linux, there are plenty of times where a fresh install of a given distro will fuck you over because Linux has absolutely fucking horrid network driver support. Especially since most network drivers still require proprietary firmware blobs that most distros will not provide by default. Linux absolutely has worse support out of the box than Windows in that sense

Can't test the hardware at the store. It's sealed in box, and they won't let you take it out and install some random OS on it. Even their display models are just gutted cases. I bought the cheapest laptop that had a matte display and optical disk. The basic stuff ended up working ok, since I'm posting here with it (in OpenBSD), but much of the functionality isn't working. I don't need all of it though.
Anyway I don't really like any modern hardware whatsoever, nor the web or games, and so on. As long as I can do my basic stuff on it, that's good enough. All of attention is devoted to 80's computers.

ACPI is a big problem nowadays (it used to be you could just disable that shit and run with APM instead).
Some systems are even locked at the UEFI level, so you can only run signed OS. But those are pretty rare so far.
Otherwise, network devices, video and sound hardware are typical problem areas.

well there's the Touch Bar, for one.

Why anyone would use laptop for non-windows is beyond me, they have so much integration and custom hardware. Desktop is better for almost all use cases anyway.

Had to reinstall Windows for some acquaintance last year and it was such a fucking pain. When I managed to manually hunt down and install all the drivers required for it to became somewhat functional the system was already laggy and slow. I never had such problems with "just werks" distros on any hardware, except on one old Mac, but that was a decade ago.

Context-free grammar aside, this is retarded. Making a trackpad compatible with something as simple as synaptics isn't hard, but making it require obscure closed source Windows 10 exclusive drivers just so that you can implement shitty shortcuts nobody uses is turbo stupid and you aren't blameless if you actually do it.

Kindly do the needful and shit on the street, Pajeet.

I am a hardware manufacturer.
My hardware is compliant with standard ports and all that.
But I only write drivers for Windows.

Gee, sure is the fault of Linux that there are no drivers for that hardware and not mine at all.

Windows users, because for them the working states are in the opposite order.

if you're doing video editing on a fucking laptop, you probably have some kind of brain damage

They should make a ruggedized desktop if they're moving around a lot.

I have a three year old optimus laptop and the manufacturer has already stopped updating the dual graphics driver. Linux drivers actually support my hardware better than Windows, eg. with mesa offering Vulkan support.

From an OEM standpoint it makes next to 0 sense to waste the extra time and money writing GNU/Linux drivers when it has a fraction of the market share of Windows

It could help them to find bugs.

dont mind me, just running a kaby lake i7 with wifi working ootb on linux

This guy is retarded

this

Retarded hipsters who don't know how to maintain hardware and has so much money that it doesn't bother to computer correctly.
I got 15 years old hardware and the only thing that bothers me I when I have to compile large programs.
But that's only when I don't use gnu parallel.

lol, no
There is more than one chip in a PC user

Bwaahahaha
It totally his (I am talking about the hardware dev who manufactured it)

Question yourself:
-How do you want something to work if you have no manual ?
-How do you want to fix a bug/make an improve it if you can't edit the source or compile or replace it ?

Theo de Raadt already explained this a long time ago (see pics and link to the pics)
openbsd.org/papers/opencon06-docs/index.html

Side not that has nothing to do with the subject:
Funny to see that Theo de Raadt doesn't care about freedom and only to get shit to work.
I am (not saying that getting shit to work is bad)
That explains why he uses the permissive BSD license.

These are the common problems that I encounter with modern windows 8/10 laptop hardware

- can't read the battery (very rare)
-screen brightness control doesn't work (happens 1/3)
-default attribution of the gpu on dual gpu configurations (nvidia/intel video or amd/intel video) (this happens all the times)
-microphone doesn't work ((happens 1/3)
-sleep state doesn't work properly (always with dual gpus and happens 1/3 of the time)
-hibernation mode work incorrectly ( happens 2/3)
-FN keys cannot be used (happens 1/3)
-AMD GPUs doesn't work without blobs (always happens)
-Ethernet port doesn't work (happens 1/5)
-Wifi doesn't work (everything from intel and broadcom doesn't work, other than that it's ok)

I have seen this with thoshiba and Vaio laptops these are pure cancer you cannot use something else that "their" drivers otherwise you'll get BSODs and shit.

In the average joe hardware world I don't have much problem with Ethernet drivers it really happens occasionally.
But in the server business fuck hp and dell are whores about using Gnu/Linux on pre-installed windows server servers.

Other than laser printers that are already in exposition they won't let me test anything else.
Otherwise the h-node database would have been very precise by now.
And the nouveau project would have a ton of data to exploit.

well son I've only hit this issue with wireless chips which were ridiculously prone to fly by night chip runs.

This hasn't been true for Ethernet in a decade or more.

I don't see why you need to upgrade every two years unless you're an Apple user and the Apple Corp tells you to.

The laptop I got was pretty tho :(

Yeah without a doubt buying something that has already on it next. I expected hardware compatibility to get better over time for Linux. Then what OpenBSD warned us about happened: Broadcom.

A good customer.

How the fuck is it Microsoft-centric? uefi.org/members

Fact: A system can not be Microsoft Windows certified if it doesn't allow the owner to install an unsigned OS.

Most (if not all) laptops with UEFI come signed by MS. Red Hat is in that list only to try to make UEFI compatible with GNU/Linux.

Red Hat would stand to profit if UEFI signing is forced on a large scale (currently only some OEMs are doing it). Already they have shoved their systemd up everyone's ass, but with this they could totally take over the Linux world. Maybe a few others like Ubuntu would get in too, or just just get special access to RH's key.
But that would pretty much kill all indenpendent distros and various other OS, while still being "open" enough that it's not a Microsoft hardware monopoly.

You say that like such people are uncommon

ftfy

I was going to switch to linux as my main os but my distro absolutely does not support amdgpu-pro, just the non pro version. without that you cannot control fan speed and linux lets your gpu get fucking insanely hot before it spins the fan. this has been a problem on every amd gpu on linux ive had.

on my linux laptop i need to make sure i never update network manager because if i do the computer cant connect to the internet after a specific version.

I guess that's an issue with hipster computers, because Gentoo on my 2014 HP Pavilion Touch pretty much Just Werked out of the box (the built-in wifi even worked better than a dongle I bought in case it didn't work).

GNU/Linux*

How do you fuck up linux on your laptop? An hour on youtube and you'll know everything you need to for normie linux

try:
echo 1 > /sys/class/drm/card$NR/device/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1_enableecho $SPEED > /sys/class/drm/card$NR/device/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1# $NR is gpu number. First GPU is 0.# $SPEED is chosen fan speed (range is 0-240 IIRC)
Put that in some file that gets run automatically (e.g. /etc/bashrc, /etc/profile), or even better, make a unit file or init script.

This is no longer true. OEMs may lock SecureBoot to on and still receive W10 certification. Plus Windows RT devices have always been locked down.

GNU/Linux*