Really, Google? Chrome 57 kills the ability to control and disable plugins

By Brian Fagioli

With web browsers being among the most frequently used pieces of software out there, it's little wonder that there is so much concern about security surrounding them. Browser plugins can be a major security worry, and with Chrome 57 Google has taken the strange decision to block users from disabling them or changing their settings.

While this is not the same as preventing users from changing the settings for extensions, or removing them, it still has important implications -- particularly if a security problem should be discovered in a plugin Google bundles with Chrome.

In Chrome 57, the page which has traditionally been used to control plugins -- chrome://plugins/ -- no longer works. While it was previously possible to visit this page to either completely disable a plugin or change its run settings, now users must visit Settings to control the Adobe Flash Player and Chrome PDF Viewer plugins. Any other plugins are untouchable.

This decision by Google is both a step in the wrong direction in terms of user-friendliness, and also a security concern.

betanews.com/2017/01/30/chrome-57-plugins/

archive.fo/vA25H

That's what you get for using Scroogleware.

it is not by Brian Fagioli, nigger
did you even look at the link you posted?

Welcome, newfriend

One more stepPlease complete the security check to access archive.fo

Yes, archive.{is,fo} is totally unusable over Tor. No, don't tell me I need to solve only 99 captchas per 1 website, it's still too much effort.

Anidb (an anime database site) has recently implemented a captcha check supposedly in response to malicious scraping. But it doesn't work; almost every captcha fades out, which is a bug that's been around for years but only occured occasionally in the past (at least on 4chan). On rare occasions it'll give me a normal one, but solving it always produces an error. In other words the site is now inaccessible. Takes care of the scraping issue at least.

How do you implement unnoticeable scrapping? Do you add random sleep breaks between each download, with occasional longer pauses? That would likely look like a normal web visitor.

Chromium in general is a nightmare to me.

FAGIOLI FAGIOLI CAN'T DISABLE THE PLUGINS ON CHROME ANYMOLI

Not really surprising the way they advertise their locked down hardware and software and continue to encourage this "out of the box" mind set. Google wants to slowly monopolize the software industry by building the best/most popular software and then locking it the fuck down so everyone has to hold their hand in order to use a device.

The war is coming, friends

mah nigga

How for fuck sakes
They are just changing the API so it can be compatible with the new shit that they are implementing.
What pisses me of tho from mozilla is the mandatory signature.

Is it even possible to install plugins/addons/extensions/whatever without visiting google.com?

you can download the extension and then drag and drop the file into the chrome://extensions page, it will ask if you want to install it. That is, at least on Chromium it allows you to do that

where from?

Sorry I meant from developers that give the option to download their extensions from somewhere else like their personal site. I don't know if there's another repository like the web store

1. firefox isn't killing addons but making them more secure
2. chrome is forcing plugins to be enabled upon you, so that it's more effective spyware/fingerprinter

Why use Chromium in the first place? I used it in my old bugchasing days when I was still getting myself pozzed on Windows, but that was a decade ago. After switching to Linux distros I haven't even once even thought of using Chromium, just honestly don't see the point when there are equal or better browsers out there which are not made by Evil corp.

What pisses me off is whichever idiot made this that stock photo didn't even bother to take a picture of Chrome itself, but a tab in Firefox.

it's part of chrome's push to get rid of plugins altogether. Which is a good thing.

Do retards get drawn to japanese cartoons or does watching them make you retarded?

So you can't remove flash from chome anymore?

Were you? That's good, well at least you'll know for next time.

it's botnet anyway.
for serious personal use, there is ungoogled chromium, or even better, Firefox™

I'm glad I wasn't the only one.

bump

Will we see a huge migration soon?

Probably. Better get some mirrors going for lynx.invisible-island.net so the main site doesn't get overloaded!

Something smells fishy, Firefox and Chrome are both removing functionality either via dev or user side on a version release that has 57 in it.

With the new API you can't modify the GUI as much as you could with the one that is currently in use. That means that the Firefox classic theme won't work.

Why?

Firefox's traditional way of addons is through a system known as "XUL extensions". This is a powerful system but it has a certain design flaw: XUL extensions are able to affect your computer as much as Firefox can affect your computer. As part of Mozilla's move to multi-process Firefox, they decided that they're going to deprecate this XUL extension system and adopt the Webextension system. Webextensions are more secure because these addons are not able to control Firefox in the same way.

underrated post

Incompetence, nepotism, what else?

I'm sure 95% of chrome users don't even know what plugins are.

Haven't you learned Google is just a meme now?
Everything they do now just weakens them.

Plugins? You mean like flash and applets? lel

Just use extensions if you need to.

This is why I use memory leak fox; the god damned plugins.

Firefox is, as far as I'm concerned, a 100% perfect browser in every way but the memory leaks. Just remove the memory leaks and I have the browser of my dreams. I wish someone would make a browser that is exactly firefox but no memory leaks.

I need uBlock Origin, Stylish, and a variety of other plugins I use.

You never formulate affirmations like that.

The proper affirmation to be used in auto-suggestion would be.

"Be good".

You can't apply negation when it comes to the subconscious mind. It just picks up on the concept you're trying to negate and strengthens it.

So their own mantra just reinforced their evil.

Don't be evil == be evil? That's news to me!

Who the fuck uses Chrome?

Subconscious can't into negation.

"I am not sick" becomes "I am sick".

"I am healthy" is the proper suggestion.

when did this fucking browser version hysteria begin? I remember 10 years ago firefox was version 2 or 3, now they are suddenly version 52 and I see nothing that would justify this step.

it's because they plan on removing plugins altogether.

plugins are a security risk.

Not just spying. Uniform software makes it easier to write exploits for as well, because you can better predict the behavior.

Do you remember back when we all liked Firefox and is was slim and nice and Internet Explorer was in charge of internet standards.. so we were frustrated?

We wished that more people used Firefox so that we could "Take Back The Web" and then we all were a bunch of idiots and donated a lot of money for dual-page advertising in the paper edition of New York Times and large newspapers all over the work... boy were we a bunch of idiots.

FAGIOLI FAGIOLI GIVE ME THE BOTNETOLI

I didn't donate nuthin'. Was using Lynx most of the time, and only Netscape if I really had to. Anyway the web is dead now, fuck it. Long live gopher!