Which FOSS/privacy-friendly IM program has the most significant chance of taking off (i.e...

Which FOSS/privacy-friendly IM program has the most significant chance of taking off (i.e. adoption by normies on a Skype/FB Messenger/WA scale)?

Other urls found in this thread:

ring.cx/en
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i use wire because it seems normie friendly enough

Matrix. I'd love for it to be XMPP but it's just lacking the market appeal. Riot looks like gaymen shit and is for groups, XMPPs apps focus on one on one discussion which I can just do over text (and encrypt with Silence).

Still want it to be XMPP though. Using it is fun. Riot is a bitch.

We are using Riot in our community. It's pretty neat and usable once you go through the process of verifying the keys.

Privacy-friendly IM program that has most significant chance of being adopted by normies is WhatsApp.

pick one and only one

Toxfags on suicide watch

I am between Riot/Matrix and Ring.
Ring have client for desktop and mobile, end to end text and video call. It's just what I want.

if Tox or Tormessenger would want to succeed, they'd need to market it at normies too and provide some eye candy and crap features, and be trendy and "modern"
privacy should be marketed as one of characteristics, not the single one

Doesn't tox fit that description?
qtox, for example, has emoji. I think its main problem right now is groups being fucky and between-device stuff.
Though I cant really see how accounts between devices could possibly be a problem, just copypaste the damn profile file.

None.
FOSS and privacy doesn't appease to normies, they just want latest cancerous ""features""

People still use that?

Signal.

That door has probably already closed with Discord filling the "account-less users" niche and their recent implementation of proper clients on Mac OS and GNU/Linux.

Wire would be perfect if it could register through phone (nobody gets confirmation SMSs).

rocketchat

XMPP is a protocol, not a program. Many programs use it: from Jitsi and Xabber to Facebook and Google chat. It is focused on text for one reason: latency.

SIP is also a protocol. Many program use it: from Signal to most of the landline phones and VoIP softwares today. Just like MSNP (used by Skype), it can be implemented in a peer-to-peer way, which is really important for voice and video chat. Studies show the "acceptable" delay for these is about 300ms.

Matrix is another protocol. It has a lot of promises, it is up to the software developers to create something good out of it.

If something can provide the same capabilities, ease-of-use and straightforward design as MSN Messenger had, it will be a killer app.

bump

GNU Ring

A telephone: a simple tool to connect, communicate and share.

ring.cx/en

Not after these CIA exploits have been revealed.

Besides the fact that it wasn't open and federated, MSN was GOAT.

My dear.

Signal because of seller shill about this

Ricochet

Fix the damn Tox or Retroshare. Plus I2P-BOTE.

If you mean taking off as in being popular outside of 4chan/Holla Forums users, Signal.

Why is there so much love for this uncomfortable shit, isn't there any love for a nice federated system no more?