Keeping companies from spying on you

How can the average user keep companies from spying on you? What can you do online (using a VPN or similar) to keep your privacy.

Other urls found in this thread:

torproject.org/download/download-easy.html.en
gnunet.org/compare
ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnuzilla/45.5.1/
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/
github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki
addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/umatrix/
github.com/gorhill/uMatrix/wiki
addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/https-everywhere/
addons.mozilla.org/nn-no/firefox/addon/random-agent-spoofer/
github.com/dillbyrne/random-agent-spoofer/wiki/User-Manual
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full/Installation
trisquel.info/
servers.opennicproject.org/
gnunet.org/goals
gnunet.org/concepts
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Not using those companies.

There is no guaranties that the vpn companies isn't going to sell you data.

TOR for web browing (IP anonymous)
torproject.org/download/download-easy.html.en

Advices:
- you can change the settings of tor so that it allows some features (security settings=low), but it's dangerous.
For best anonymous use just put TOR on security level=high.
-NEVER install other addons than the ones installed you will corrupt your navigation
-NEVER download with tor you will comprise your location.

I2P, GNUnet for data sharing.
gnunet.org/compare

If you have users who can't or won't use TOR
Make them use Icecat
ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnuzilla/45.5.1/

You need to configure it so that it never save passwords, cookies etc...
Go in privacy section of the browser.

You also need to add some extensions and go in the options
-µblock origin
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/
RTFM:
github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki

-umatrix (for advance users but easier to use than noscript)
addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/umatrix/
RTFM:
github.com/gorhill/uMatrix/wiki
advices:
-block everything then accept only what is needed.
-Activate strict HTTPS

-https-everywhere
addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/https-everywhere/
notes: it's a no brainer/passif addon

-Random agent spoofer
addons.mozilla.org/nn-no/firefox/addon/random-agent-spoofer/
RTFM:
github.com/dillbyrne/random-agent-spoofer/wiki/User-Manual

Your OS/software can also fuck you up:
Install gentoo if your brain can process it
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full/Installation
Advice's:
-never install binary blobs or non-free software you'll comprise your PC

Install Trisquel otherwise:
trisquel.info/
Advice's:
-Trisquel 7 is a bit old the 8 version is still under alpha just use official PPAs to have recent versions of x software.

Change your DNS to OpenNic too
servers.opennicproject.org/

- download over tor
- turn off your network card
- open the file
- delete the file
- turn back on your network card
Where's the problem? Or you could just use Whonix.

You do know that VPNs spy on their users and sell that data.

I never understood why VPN is such a meme when you're just paying extra money to put blind trust in a different corp instead of your ISP. And then all these faggots claim how paying for a VPN is so much better than Tor. I just don't get it.

get off the net

That's my point. For some reason, you can't trust your own ISP but you can trust some other arbitrary company (that may possibly be an ISP) to not scoop up all your data to sell. I never understood that logic.

Do you trust your Tor exit nodes? I sure as hell wouldn't. I just download the occassional movie, but you guys that buy into Tor haven't read a news story in a donkey's age. A VPN isn't a lot of protection, but it doesn't light up the bat signal like using Tor does.

What.

Of course I don't trust ANY any nodes, whether any guard nodes or any exit nodes or any middle nodes. The point is guard nodes don't know where I'm going, and exit nodes don't know where I'm coming from. Additionally, each one of my streams goes through a different circuit. Which makes things quite difficult for my adversary.
Now compare that to paying for a VPN who knows as much as an ISP would, and will be able (and obliged) to disclose just as much.

He assumes that most of TOR exit nodes are under the control of a government agency.
Witch is to take into account.
Bu their are some way or getting around it if you know the bad nodes.

I really hope that gnunet gets more used, the way they designed is just great.
gnunet.org/goals
gnunet.org/concepts

Doesn't HTTPS negate the security holes with exit nodes?

It only helps against MITM. You can still be deanonymized.

What a shock

This is bullshit, you know that loading a webpage is also downloading right dick face?

The danger is that you might download something that after being downloaded has the ability to phone home. Downloading by itself is not dangerous

Yes, the exit node only knows what particular server ip/hostname is being connected to, but does not know the exact address or what is being accessed .

perhaps, but targeting is rather difficult because you do not know what is being accessed.

It's a meme lazy redditors use to pretend that they're now outsmarting all the intelligence agencies spying on them with their 4.99/mo service placebo. There were leaks years ago showing VPNs are childs play for the nsa to work around if they need to if they're even trustworthy to begin with.

Most VPN lads will then shit on Tor and i2p as if that makes their shitty alternative a valid option. Fuck em

Usually they go

or some variation. Correlation traffic analysis is the best I've seen in terms of criticizing Tor and it's only making it stronger. You may as well just install Chrome and windows 7 and forget about everything rather than waste time and money on a vpn.

VPNs are shit for avoiding NSA surveillance, but they're pretty nice for avoiding ISP logging. Especially if you don't live in the US.

They also help work around geoblocking.

This is the ONLY reason why I use VPN.

why?

You are supposed to use 'KuriGohan and Kamehameha', aren't you?

.. and too slow.

That's the purpose of exit nodes. You can see what's going through it but you don't know where it comes from.

It's not that slow anymore. And obviously if you log into anything through tor you're asking for trouble.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Hence use Whonix if you really want to be sure. Then phoning home happens over Tor and only that particular VM instance is effected, which you should be already purging after a period of time in any case.

Why, assuming it's over HTTPS? I know NSA collects everything in case they can crack it in the future, but I don't see how it's feasible for them to crack on a mass level and with casual services that have lots of users.
Logging into a really marginal website that is seen as suspicious is a different thing, but then you're not really going to leave personal dirt lying around on that account or use it for more than a short-while. Unless you're simply stupid and no tool can combat against user's stupidity.

Make your own VPN.

I also never understood why VPN, not a proxy? proxies are more convenient and can be easily chained.

The main use of VPNs is to hide your origin from the site you're accessing. It's especially useful for torrents and getting around geoblocks.

eld but geld

Should be the basic set up.

Just buy a full-auto assault rifle with high-capacity baby-skull-seeking clips and the thing that goes up, move out of the city, and get fucking noided. At the rate telemetry is advancing, with both AMD and Intel teaming up to give Mr. President your census data ASAP, you're better off being ballsy, and trying to look like something the deep state will have a hard time wiping out, with how things are getting.

Just plug in and consume your soylent, flesh golem.

Just run and hide, goy.

Proxies are shit. They only hide your browser traffic. VPNs apply to everything transmitted out of band, they apply to your entire system instead of just your browser.

That image is shit, outdated and full of BS.

pic related