GNUsocial Thread

We haven't had a good thread on GNUsocial, let's share profiles and discuss good communities for microblogging.

GNUsocial is a federated microblogging network with functionality similar to Twitter. Formerly known as the StatusNet project, GNUsocial is free open source software licensed under the terms of the AGPL. The GNUsocial code is easily extended and can be modified to meet a variety of needs.

There are several GNUsocial instances throughout the network, and it's a matter of personal preference as to which one you frequent. I run unsafe.space/, hosted in Finland but geared towards English-speaking users. Other servers include freezepeach.xyz and sealion.club . There's also quitter.se and gnusocial.no/ if you'd like to use popular but more restrictive nodes.

Not at all. Since GNUsocial is federated, any user from one instance can follow and interact with any user on another easily.

The Unsafe Space source code can be found at gitgud.io/unsafe-space/; it's not very good but I'm making adjustments as I go along.

Post your GNUsocial profile, advertise your instance and why users should join, ask miscellaneous questions about the service, complain about problems with your connection to Unsafe Space, and more!

unsafe.space/despairwave - Vyro, Administrator of the Unsafe Space Discord
unsafe.space/gitgud - Gitgud Software, Administrator of Unsafe Space
gnusocial.no/rms - Richard Matthew Stallman, Founder of the Free Software Foundation

Other urls found in this thread:

commandandconquer.club/mfga-mission-and-goals.html
social.heldscal.la/dtluna
loadaverage.org
social.guhnoo.org/
fediverse.org/
karp.id.au/social/en/
tfwnogf.com/
unsafe.space
gitgud.io/unsafe-space/gnu-social
gitgud.io/unsafe-space/qvitter
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Tokumei is better, sage.

What prevents GNUsocial from becoming a surveillance network like Twitter?

Well, nothing. It's a public-post social network. Anyone can just grab the RSS feeds for any user's posts.

What the fuck are you expecting?

Call me when Pleroma is finished. I'm not using that communist seal's shitware (Qvitter) anymore.

kyle pls

I guess I can't keep myself from sharing this: commandandconquer.club/mfga-mission-and-goals.html

We are in a pretty desperate need for GNU Social backend replacement. MFGA is going to be just that.

And yeah, I am social.heldscal.la/dtluna , so yeah, I'm shilling for my project like a little bitch.

Reminder that "social" networks are as pathetic as it gets.

It would be the "social" part you'd have a problem with.

If you unironically befriend people on chans, you should kill yourself.

I'd agree with you, but GNU Social isn't an imageboard.

How about you go kill yourself?

Yeah nah. GNUsocial is just more of the same Web 3.0 bloat cancer. If a site won't even let you view it without javascript, it's not worth using.

GNUSocial is an alternative to Twitter. That's like saying that vaping is an alternative to smoking. It's still shit, but at least it's less bad than smoking. People shouldn't be using either, but if they are going to use microblogging shit it should at least be free instead of proprietary.

Does the Javascript work with LibreJS? If so, it's not a problem freedom-wise.

I'm all for free software, but why do GNUSocial devs have to mirror the exact same practices of companies that offer proprietary social networks? The reason some social networking websites won't work without javascript isn't because it's absolutely necessary for functionality, but because they want their off-site analytics, tracking and surveillance scripts sending requests to every one of their visitors and users. GNUSocial doesn't include surveillance, but instead of allowing users to switch off Javascript, the developers have elected to act as though it does.

It's not just a question of free versus non-free either. Bloat in software must never be endorsed. There's no reason to have a spinning throbber whenever you go to another page, nor is there a reason to have infinite scroll when numbered pages can do the job just fine. Hell, most moving elements just slow down the experience and add absolutely nothing of value. Javascript is only really useful for things like modal dialogs, as those are vastly more efficient than popup windows.

You can use GNU Social without Javascript though.

You can use it through desktop applications.

There are also servers like loadaverage.org that run without Qvitter or any other fancy JS frontend.

OP kinda done goofed by not posting a directory of different servers, though. On social.guhnoo.org/ you can find a curated list of servers, broken down by features and content, and fediverse.org/ lists most of the known servers. Simply choose one that doesn't use Qvitter and you'll be good.

There's also an unofficial manual written by one of the users that covers most of the basics: karp.id.au/social/en/

Oh, and stay the fuck away from from mastodon.social

I still remember that time when Mastodon flipped it's shit when alt-right.space started.

Is it full of weebs?

Nazi loli weebs.

That's not how chans work.
You may know me as dogjaw BTW.

It should be LibreJS compatible, though I haven't personally tested this.

That... might not be as degenerate as I suspected.

So... Shadman lives there?

It's mostly Alt-Nazi lolicons. And that race mixing sellout Dolus.

No. But he'd be quite popular with some of the other guys there.

What's wrong with Mastodon? Looks nicer than GNU Social...

It's not fully compatible and the dev has no intentions of fixing. That's the software side

The flagship instance at mastodon.social has devolved into a tumblr-style safespace complete with trigger warnings and daily drama when someone forgets to check their privilege.

if you unironically use the term "chans", you should go back to plebbit and kill yourself.

Fine-grained read permissions, enforced cryptographically.

Hint: The purpose of GNU Social is not to exchange messages that are intended only for a limited private audience.

Further hint: Its purpose is to facilitate the postomg of messages far and wide for the friggin' whole world to see.

Fine-grained read permissions simply don't fit into that purpose. If that's the functionality you want, look elsewhere. I'm going to be nice and give you the benefit of the doubt. I'll pretend that you're merely someone who's never used GNU Social before, and is simply a little unclear as to what it does.

wasn't even me

but I did come here to say the same thing

i've made great friends on 4chan and Holla Forums. you kill YOURself

what this user said
It's tumblr with free software.

The forker (eugene) doesn't want anyone with his authorization to use the software.
He doesn't document his changes and he doesn't want to.
There is also no public timeline
Eugene should bury himself alive for the unethical behavior that he's having.

It's run by /a/, so yes.

RIP Holla Forums

You can use a pseudonym, but GNU Social isn't anonymous, so what's your point?

What's wrong about wanting to have your name (or pseudonym) attached to your ideas?

it means your ideas are too shit to stand on their own

OK.

I'm social other times, but if I'm selling an idea or looking for honest opinions, I share it with strangers, as a stranger. Compare the responses to ideas on Facebook vs *chan. Most of your friends on Facebook will (1) like it and say so, (2) dislike or not care about it and say they like it, or (3) dislike it and ignore it. Here, people will accurately tell you how shit your idea is. Twitter is somewhere in between: everyone can see your ideas but they will still judge them based on your name. And you see clearly on Twitter how ideas gain visibility because they are held by famous people and not because they are good. Trump's ideas are consistently attacked because he tweets them, not because they are *that* outrageous alone.

I share ideas with friends too, because they are interested in what I'm up to or because it makes good conversation. But I'm not trying to sell them my idea. They will like my idea (or at least say so) because they like me and I came up with it, not because they have objectively considered the idea.

So when you are advertising your ideas to the public on social media, adding a name adds bias. Sharing ideas with friends is useful but a microblog is a pretty weird place to chat with friends.

It's not too far off, hopefully.

Most of these 'ideas' are 2hu shitposts. GS isn't for high-level debates, but for comfy socializing among peers.

I use it because I'm too lazy to set up a shitty Wordpress page to publish my translations.

Enough with social already, we need something anti-social. Right now imageboards are the best we got, but they're all pretty shitty.

I'd probably use Pleroma FE if it managed to get completed this year.

You in charge of a GS node?

Speak for yourself, user. That's not the case for me. I criticize his ideas because they are bad.

Criticizing ideas because of someone's character is intellectually dishonest anyway, so I don't do it.

Sucks to be you if your friends can't honestly criticize your ideas. I don't have this problem.

What do you want from your anti-social site? What more do you want that the imageboards don't do right now? Do you want login accounts before people can post to them?

install tokumei

Why not use a static site generator like Pelican?

go use twitter or gab and stop being autistic.

Gno.

But then I'd have to set up a server as well. Nobody's going to look at it anyway so it's not a big deal.

What do you think about something like tfwnogf.com/

Yeah, I'm the unsafe.space node operator. I started the site up a few days ago, I was hoping to build up our community and get some conversation about the technology going.

I've updated some of the extlibs for the Javascript and PHP and made minor changes to achieve Qvitter compatibility with jQuery 3.1.1 recently.

I guess I just wanted to see what people thought too, some of the conversations about better front-ends have been helpful as far as giving me an idea of what would be good to do in the long term.

I guess getting some help cleaning up everything would help. GNUsocial already has messy code and some of my changes and commits have admittedly been guesswork as far as their behavioral results.

gitgud.io/unsafe-space/gnu-social
gitgud.io/unsafe-space/qvitter

Also I'm not a Nazi weeaboo, if that helps.

You say that like it's a bad thing...

the correct term is still "imageboards", nigger.
into the trash it goes, >>>/cuckchan/

Apparently there is a good amount of a bounty on making Gnu Social and Diaspora one big network, bridging the two.
I'd love to see that.

But muh freedoms...

are you implying most users of Holla Forums didnt come from 4chan? fucking retard

Merry Christmas.

Unrealistic, there'd be tolls every mile with armor piercing weapons that would track and fire upon any individuals who didn't pay the toll. And sometimes on those who did.

in the ear 2011

WTF Loadaverage ?
What is that kind of a name of something ?
Having a script for HTTPS ?

There's a benefit to having server logs scattered across many different nodes, each controlled by a different individual, especially if every node is inside a different home.

Access to the logs on the entire federated network would require a warrant for each home.

The default installation of GNU social does not require JavaScript. It's only if you install the Qvitter plug-in (to make the site look and act like Twitter) that you'll have JavaScript issues.

Another reason Qvitter is shit.

but who paid for that road???

Where do you faggots keep coming from?

It is you retard, especially the latter

Faggot, not every place need to be like an imageboard.

lmfao either you don't have friends at all or you are even more deluded than the average person.

No, it's called "having honest friends" you retard.

Too bad you're in an image board right now you missed abortion

Well this thread sure slowed down.

I've been working on unsafe.space for a couple of days, we switched to postActiv and I've been working on fixing stuff in postActiv while making it compatible with more modern external libraries.

We also have greentext if you're into that kind of thing.