ThinkPad (and Toughbook) thread

Old one's autosaging.

Pic related is my T22 running WinFLP. Batteries are both fucked and there isn't a thing as cheap T2x batteries either. That said, I fucking love this thing and the ThinkLight is awesome.

Also ordered a CF-31 Mk3 yesterday, waiting on it to come in the mail.

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/usr/portportal?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Battery_Power/Lithium_Ion_Batteries#Storage_temperature_and_charge
mega.nz/#!aYhBgTwC!7USKNfFvE0t0gM-UDyw2p9WCCMXkQZzBaAURvesdcwY
microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3740
toshiba-europe.com/computers/products/notebooks/t1000se/
librecore.info/
ebay.com/itm/Battery-55-for-Lenovo-Thinkpad-T410-T420-T520-W520-SL410-SL510-/152111046446
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Toughbooks
archive.is/cfQya
ebay.com/itm/262895531694
support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/migr-70524
libreboot.org/
archive.is/6ttbQ
ebay.com/itm/222269929117?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT#shpCntId
ktgee.net/post/49423737148/thinkpad-guide
lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libreboot/2016-04/msg00013.html
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Classic_Keyboard_on_xx30_Series_ThinkPads
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
archive.is/KLlXY
archive.is/oWhXz
archive.is/dRrk5
archive.is/UuUMI
ebay.com/itm/182516941010
ebay.com/itm/161190685781
ebay.com/itm/251992174402
thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_put_SATA_in_old_ThinkPads
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

A pic of the 31 I brought. Yes, that is a backlighted keyboard from a CF-30. Toughbooks are like Lego and that's exactly why I love them: you can reuse the caddy from a CF-30, the BLKB from a CF-29, and the dock from a CF-27.

What's the best Thinkpad and why is it the X200?

Libreboot?

Best ThinkPad IMO is the T23 or the X220.

I've not gotten around to flashing the BIOS yet, if I do I'll probably use Coreboot.

If you have a battery that you don't use too much that is in good shape. Look into using the tp_smapi kernel module to limit its maximum charge to 40% or so. This is the optimal charge level for Lithium Ion batteries, so if you're never using a significant amount of your batteries charge but need it for the odd occasion you're away from a socket or the power goes out this has no downsides but will prolong its life significantly.

I'm running WinFLP (WinXP for very old (Pentium era) computers) so no tp_smapi for me sadly.

Not only that, both of my batteries are completely dead.

Why have I never heard of it.
If you're not from:
Excludes: APO/FPO, Guatemala, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Guadeloupe, Sierra Leone, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Wallis and Futuna, French Guiana, Anguilla, Gambia, El Salvador, Guam, Micronesia, Dominican Republic, Malaysia, Mayotte, Cameroon, Guyana, Azerbaijan Republic, Macau, Suriname, Oman, Georgia, Tonga, United Arab Emirates, Kenya, Argentina, New Caledonia, Guinea-Bissau, Senegal, Eritrea, Togo, Armenia, Bhutan, Uzbekistan, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Morocco, Qatar, Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas), Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Burundi, Iraq, Slovakia, Equatorial Guinea, Slovenia, Thailand, Mauritania, Belize, Philippines, Aruba, Uruguay, Congo, Democratic Republic of the, Western Sahara, Congo, Republic of the, American Samoa, French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Colombia, Comoros, Estonia, Benin, Algeria, Montserrat, Zambia, Somalia, Antigua and Barbuda, Vanuatu, Swaziland, Ecuador, Ethiopia, Pakistan, Laos, Niger, Tanzania, Panama, Burkina Faso, Kyrgyzstan, Venezuela, Ghana, Reunion, Djibouti, Chile, Cape Verde Islands, Martinique, Mali, Botswana, Croatia, Republic of, Madagascar, Cambodia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Tajikistan, Malta, Paraguay, Cayman Islands, Lebanon, Saint Helena, Cyprus, Rwanda, Liberia, Seychelles, Bolivia, Maldives, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Libya, Nigeria, Lesotho, Central African Republic, Gabon Republic, Zimbabwe, Saint Lucia, Mauritius, Guinea, Jordan, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Côte d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast), British Virgin Islands, Turks and Caicos Islands, Kiribati, Chad, Turkmenistan, Romania, Grenada, Costa Rica, Haiti, India, Yemen, Afghanistan, Serbia, Kazakhstan, Africa, Mongolia, Netherlands Antilles, Nepal, Bahrain, Bahamas, Trinidad and Tobago, Dominica, Palau, Malawi, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Hungary, Nicaragua, Angola, Tunisia, Uganda, Western Samoa, Barbados, Tuvalu, Jamaica, Egypt, Mozambique, Namibia, Niue, Peru, Honduras, Brunei Darussalam, South Africa
This ebay seller:
ebay.com/usr/portportal?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
There may be more "worldwide" shippers

smexy. but I think I could not live w/o a mouseclit.

Where did you hear this? Last time I read up on this stuff the key to lasting charge for lithium-ion batteries is to store them in a fully-charged state when not in use. It's old nickel-metal batteries that last longer when stored uncharged.

This really is /g/.

en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Battery_Power/Lithium_Ion_Batteries#Storage_temperature_and_charge

At least it's vaguely about technology instead of SJWs or low-effort bait

yeah, so much better having Holla Forumstards leaving their echo chamber to talk about shit they have no idea about, only to get triggered by facts and shout memes.

Why coreboot? Why not libreboot? Libreboot is 100% Free and removes the Intel ME

The tranny managing (the documentation at least) Libreboot, overheated and when super critical. After that most of the developers left for Coreboot, which is planning on developing Libreboot last time I read

Old tech > new tech any day.

I've got a Toshiba T1000SE that I've got to get up and running, just need to build a compatible power cord.

I'd be absolutely thrilled if I could use it as a terminal for managing my loonix and ESXi boxes.

Forgot pic.

please torrent winflp image if you have, or anybody else

Here: mega.nz/#!aYhBgTwC!7USKNfFvE0t0gM-UDyw2p9WCCMXkQZzBaAURvesdcwY

It's SP2 so be warned, you will need to either A: do fucktons of updates, or B: install SP3 and some updates. SP3 can be acquired here: microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3740

Is that thing running on a 80386?

toshiba-europe.com/computers/products/notebooks/t1000se/
holy FUCK that's old!

Damnit user now I want something like that.

So instead of looking at the software it self, you are making choices based on the drama behind the software?
If you are talking about librecore.info/ this, good luck using that on your x200 "our focus is more around maintainability and feature completeness of more libre hardware platforms such as POWER, SPARC, RISC-V and other non-x86 ISA's". Use libreboot for your x200 m8, like I said it is fully Free (coreboot still has blobs) and removes intel ME. It has decent documentation as well. Sure the drama and stuff is stupid, but the software is still good.

Rightfully so. Rowe threw GNU under the bus over some spurious allegations and everyone is now keeping well clear because, funnily enough, people don't want to work with hair-trigger loonies like that. Doubly so when it's just Coreboot with a few bells and whistles, nothing Coreboot couldn't pull into their own project.

I'm still using Libreboot's current version (the one which still has a GNU and Linux wallpaper) but will not be updating it. Coreboot is something I'll be trying once I feel like taking the risk.

Bought a T410 with 8gb ram for $65. Came with docking station and recovery CDs (which is actually pretty nice; I never thought I'd say this, but it's actually pretty great to have a reliable installation media of Win7 handy, just in case.)

Battery was terrible to point of being unable when I received it.
I did a cycle reset (or whatever it's called) via the power options, thinking it might be helpful, without researching what it actually does.

My battery went from lasting about 3 - 4 minutes with minimal CPU usage, to dying almost instantaneously.

I hardly use it without the docking station, but it'd be nice to be able to have a solid backup programming computer that I can travel around with - I bring my linuxbox when needed, but I'm also a skilled amateur stress tester since birth (hence unbreakable memepad.)

I haven't kept up with these threads enough, but it's my understanding that Chinese batteries are pretty shit, yes?
Thing is, buying a replacement battery is going to cost me half of what I paid for the thing. What can tech recommend?

You mean Battery Calibration? Reminds me that I should do it too tonight. And yes, avoid Chinese PSUs/batteries like the plague.

Pic related, my 31 which I got this morning.

Keep buying new thinkpads until you get one with a good battery

Elitebooks welcome?

why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why

Kahlon batteries seem to be the standard. X200T user bought some a few weeks back. Time will tell if they're good or not.

If they're rugged and have nice keyboards, probably. Same for Dell Latitudes. I think the next thread should be ThinkPad-only though.

Also, Backlit Chiclet best Toughbook keyboard.

So I'm seeing that with Chinese batteries, many of them don't hold a charge, or otherwise have crappy battery life.

Thing is, I'm not actually concerned with making sure I get great battery life. I Just want it to be able to hold a charge for minimal use of an IDE, Putty, and perhaps Firefox. I'm not planning on using it as a super portable machine, but a machine that doesn't die the moment I take it off AC supply, so that it can - for example - survive between classes.

With that in mind, are there any other reasons why I should be dissuaded from buying a Chinese battery?

I'm looking to spend no more than $25 here.

(You)

IE:
ebay.com/itm/Battery-55-for-Lenovo-Thinkpad-T410-T420-T520-W520-SL410-SL510-/152111046446

After doing some more research, it seems like one of the major reasons to avoid cheap batteries is they tend to die out quickly.
So this one above isn't work buying?

If you like your house and dick to not be on fire

Hmm, I don't know what to do. I want to do art and also write stuff. Was even thinking of going for XP Tablet PC Edition? Any suggestions?

No WIndows!

Also it was kinda annoying to get my X200T bezel buttons to work. Firstly, you need to check whether the kernel has mapped them to a keycode. If not, do it. Keep the keycodes under 100 or X won't be able to see them. 89-92 was a free range on my setup.

setkeycodes 67 89 6c 90 68 91 66 92

Next the keycodes need to be mapped in X. Bizarrely, you need to add 8 to the number so 89 = 97, 92 = 100.

xmodmap -e "keycode 97 = NoSymbol NoSymbol NoSymbol"
xmodmap -e "keycode 98 = XF86RotateWindows NoSymbol XF86RotateWindows"
xmodmap -e "keycode 99 = XF86TaskPane NoSymbol XF86TaskPane"
xmodmap -e "keycode 100 = XF86ScreenSaver NoSymbol XF86ScreenSaver"

I don't use the left-most button. Then there's a script someone made for display rotation that's mapped to the one next to it, next one starts cellwriter (don't use it though, a keyboard is for typing, a stylus is for drawing), next is lock screen.

Also install Krita it's a nice program for drawing and FOSS.

What model Thinkpad do you have? I bought a new battery for my T21 about two years ago for a reasonable price. I found a battery for the T20-T24 on Ebay for $20.

Okay, thank you. And yeah, I like Krita a lot.

Enjoy that thing, user. Here's some 1024x768 wallpapers for you.
It's true what people say about XP not being designed for high DPI displays. I had to throw 7 on here and even then text is microscopic with this screen. This machine would have been the fucking boss of the room in 2008, it even could come with an SSD in addition to WiMAX/mobile broadband, display port output and switchable integrated/discrete graphics.
try going online with it
when I had my T22, listening to music on youtube through it's AC 97' audio and watching the whole machine visibly slow while doing it was actually quite comfy

Were those trackpoint wallpapers actually made by IBM

user that's just as bad, for fuck's sake

No idea.
eraser is a fucking dick for picking on the middle one and the concave one, the eraser one wears down faster and the concave trackpoint head is the best as far as control goes
you can get a bag with a few of each on ebay for pennies

Same poster as
& above here.
Was this a Lenovo brand battery or some knockoff? If the latter, how satisfied are you with your purchase, and what does your usage profile look like?

Well, seems like a decent price for this terrible old thing being in decent condition anyway.

You gave me a shock, user.
AHAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHHA
I've got Thinkpads from that era for less than $10.

If he had an original apple computer or something like that maybe, but come on. You can get a chromebook for under $200.

yo we should meet up and fuck

It is a knockoff but I can still get 2 hours of charge out of it when I originally got 3 hours. I only use it for Windows 2000 applications though so it doesn't get as much use as a daily driver and I on average use it twice a week for about two hours. Overall though I am satisfied for $9.

As a seller of used, "vintage" computers, I can certainly tell you that certain models do appreciate. Not as much as an Apple I but gold-heavy CPU's and motherboards have seen a surge in prices compared to the last few years. $100 is absurd though.

/g/ and /tech doesn't give a flying fuck about the Chromebook, they'll still stick to their IBM-era Thinkpads. This thread is a testament to that. When old models begin to fail and replacement supplies dry up, prices start to rise.

I just bought a new open box x230. should arrive early next week. I'm typing this on a t430s with a broken hinge.

Anybody have any info on swapping x230 TN panels for IPS panels? I want to do that swap and backlit keyboard.

I'm trying to install Arch on my Memepad T410, and I can't get any further than attempting to set internet up.

It's got an ethernet cable plugged in at the moment but can't even ping the router.

I have tried everything I know how to do to manually set this thing up, to no avail:
- ifconfig
- ip link
- restarting DHCP after changing /etc/dhcpcd.conf to clientID
- manually confirming, turning on, removing, reinstalling the driver - correct e1000e driver is built into kernel and active on boot.

I can't figure it out and would really like to get further. I've been looking online and none of the solutions I am finding are working in my situation.

Wondering if anyone here has run into this problem while marrying the two memes, if anyone has suggestions, I'd be much obliged.

I have heard this is an issue with dual booting Arch and Windows 7,

Have you enabled the dhcpcd service?

systemctl enable dhcpcd.service

Looking for an X60 or X61, regular, s, or Tablet doesn't matter. I have a bunch of trivial questions. Should I go for the low-voltage CPUs? Would they choke using YouTube, or watching Chinese cartoons in 720p? I hear the 1400x1050 screens on the tablets have issues, is that true? Should I avoid the 32-bit Core Duo Yonah processor? Does the tablet play well with Linux?

Is the external GPU connection to laptop thing practical or not? Apparently you can do it through the expresscard slot, one of which I have on my X200, I've not looked into it too much but it seems unlikely that it has the bandwidth to act as an interface for a GPU.

They might have issues with decoding 720p depending on codec, imho there's few places where you won't be near a plug and extra batteries are cheap, don't gimp your processor like you're some homosexual with his "ultrabook".

Install an SSD in the mSata slot or get a caddy for $4

Oooooh uh oh... systemd

it turned out I was just plugging into a port that wasn't activated because I was plugged into the docking station.

arch installation has since gone swimmingly.

i'm crossing the memes

What if I don't use Windows clone?

The guy was using Arch

X201. It's the only with a nice resolution, the other ones' is too small.

Yes, and user said "Windows clone", not "Unix clone". Arch uses systemd by default.

Hah. My bad I am not very perceptive of humor today.

i've heard to be careful about this, as most of those are actually knockoffs.

mine is in surprisingly good condition, thanks to upping the sensitivity and relying mostly on keyboard. i've heard good things about the concave ones and want to try them.

Unless Lenovo/IBM manufactured TrackPoints can give your fingers mini-orgasms, I don't think anybody cares much. They can't, right?

One issue that plagues my laptops with clit mouses (Thinkpads and a few Dells) is that the mouse will sometimes drift downwards slowly. Anyone know the deal with that? Pisses me off.

the pointer is not going to move unless you are applying pressure to the clit. you are probably inadvertently applying pressure directly or indirectly (resting a finger on an adjacent key which is putting slight pressure on the clit). i've found that some models are more prone to this adjacent key pressure thing.

put even and consistent pressure on the clit for a few moments, release and watch the the pointer drift on its own across the screen before it recalibrates itself. heh.

Just got a SSD for my 31, holy FUCK this thing is fast.

Shame it hardlocks while running Fallout NV but it just needs a repaste.

The X200 is not superior to the X60 in general construction, but the small changes that were made helped remove some of the problems. X60s tend to run hot, and the X200 solved this problem with greater airflow, a better fan, and a cooler chip. I prefer the X60 form factor to the longer X200. It is so much more compact. The ultimate thinkpad is of course the X60ts, as you get the tablet form factor and that icy cool chip, and libreboot support. If you shop smart you can get a barely used one for 60 bucks.

What you are going to have to do is repack the plastic case with new cells. Get a thin sharp knife and pierce one corner of the plastic cell. The batteries close by little snapping clip on the inside and there is a lip from one half that extends into the next, but don't worry about messing that up. Once you have the corner use the edge of the knife inside the exposed groove to break the lip of the plastic shell all around the basttery case. Go back to the corner and gently pry it apart. Now you should have two halves and you will see the microcontroller and the cells. Record their circut and dimensions of cell (probably 18650, 3.6V, etc), voltage, etc. Order replacements, desolder old, solder new, snap together battery case and cover in electrical tape. You can also drill mounts for screws if the case is large enough. Tip: you can use higher capacity cells as long as the voltage is the same.

If you really mess up order a cheap chinese or used battery and try again. It's just a plastic case and you are going to install your own cells. Also, not all cells will be at EOL. Replace them all anyway and use the remaining in your RC or power bank.

Also, does anyone know how to refinish that rubber coating on the lid and case of thinkpads?

For use with encrypted OpenBSD with libreboot/GRUB2.
My method was to install OpenBSD on a different machine, then chainload the install disk from grub and load up my system through that. Do not use grub's framebuffer. You may have to load the slim kernel on the disk, grub did not like my bsd.rd. The libreboot website says to chainload the bootloader from the MBR, but I haven't had success with that. Could anyone attempt these methods and report their results?

I would go for the model that is in better condition regardless of the cpu. The low voltage won't choke on video. You can underclock your cpu if you wish and get similar performance to the low voltage model. Several screens are unsupported by libreboot on the X60t; LTN121XP01 and HT12X21-351, both are 1024x768 but a screen exists that is compatible. 1400x1050 should all work. The tablet works fine if you have compatible hardware.

Here are some basic actions you should take with your new Thinkpad:

Remove microphone/speaker (the microphone must be pried off with pliers or desoldered - be careful to not damage the board. It looks like a small disk battery)
Remove Bluetooth/intel NIC
Disassemble and clean
Replace hdd with ssd
Rebuilt battery

>>>/bog/

Plastidip?

>checked hitler dubs

Thinkpads and Toughbooks are in my collection

I daily drive ToughBooks exclusively after breaking a TB screen
the impact should have destroyed the laptop

Macbook Pro screens = Toughbook screen FTW

Linux on ToughBooks is easy b/c manufacturer support and option at retail

dynabook welcome???

Okay, thank you very much. I am not really that much worried about libreboot/coreboot, but I will be using Trisquel, and I already got a compatible NIC. Why remove mic+speaker though?

I'm still looking, just trying to find a real good deal that is in good condition, like you said. If I go for the tablet, from what I have seen many times the screen is very scuffed. One thing I have noticed trying to buy laptops though is sometimes people sell cheap with a stupid error that is easily fixable, like dead CMOS battery. I got a T61 for $20 because of that. So I am on the lookout for something like that for X60/X61.

Uh, PanaSuckIt doesn't sell Toughbooks with Loonix?

I know EmperorLinux sells TBs preloaded with Loonix, but >buying a Linux laptop

That aside: I just brought pic related, again. I had a U1 Mk1 in 2015 and that thing sucked balls, speed wise.

Pic related is a Mk2 U1 and hopefully the 2GB RAM and 1.6 GHz CPU will make a big difference.

Oh, and for 50 euros including shipping I got the U1, that Lind car charger, a desktop cradle and a 2nd battery. Not a bad deal eh?

Also what TBs are you running?

I already tossed both batteries into the battery bin at school, so if I get some disposable income later this year I'll order a new one on eBay.

i just received a pack of 15 fucking concave caps today. i had only ever used the dome style before. this style of cap is basically excellent and the other kinds are obviously shit.

this concave cap should be the default. why the hell would anyone prefer the others?

Where are they on the x200?

why are you suggesting this?

all i fucking want in the world is an X41 but with modern specs like an i7 or whatever ryzen shit will be out for laptops
i LOVE my x41 it is the PERFECT form factor, it is thin, small (12.1 4:3 1024x768 screen) and has a nice big battery that sticks out the back that i can use as a handle, i can flip the whole fucking computer upside down and shake the hell out of it.

Look what I got in the mail last night.

does x41 have libreboot? if yes then it's probably possible unless linux have drivers and the hardware fits perfectly

No. The X60 does have it though.

i've heard those are hell to use with anything other than the windows they shipped with plus the billion custom drivers for all the bullshit peripherals, can you confirm? also how much was it?

I paid 50 euros for it, which is steal if you ask me.

They are hell, unless you use pic related.

does this work? what about the controller chip? wouldn't you need to reset it somehow? if you only replace the cells won't the controller chip still act as if the old cells are in it?

are there small/portable ups units? really need to know how to keep steady power on my thinkpads when the battery supply dries up. i don't even need long life, just enough juice to power off properly.

Are there any improved fan models for the X2xx family? I'm looking at putting an i7 from an X201 into my X200, but it's an increase from 35W to 55W TDP, and I already see some pretty high temperatures at times.

lolwut? You're going to put a 55 watt (i7 XM?) CPU in a X201? That's a thing?

the x201 has a soldered in cpu, if i am not mistaken. might make your plans a little more difficult. :^)

The chassis on the X200 and X201 are almost exactly the same, you can swap out the motherboards. The only concern I have is cooling.

I'm swapping out the entire motherboard, CPU and all, so it will basically be an X201 that looks like an X200 I suppose.

you're going to put an x201 motherboard into nearly identical x200 chassis? sorry but, why do you want to do this? if your x201 chassis is messed up or something you can probably get a replacement for a few bucks.

No, I'm going to buy an X201 mobo for about $100 and put it into my X200 because I want a bit of a bump in performance.

Oh boy, look what i've done to my U1.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I've been using that for years, because it has the easiest Pitch Control function there is.

Not only that, Flipping Double and Reverb are some gr8 preinstalled plugins.

pop the fucker open and look at the cells. I'm pretty sure you can build your own cell battery easily.

i would spend an extra $50 and just get a whole machine.

Oh no, look what I brought on a flea market.

Three CF-18 Mk4's. One of them only has 60 hours operation time and looks nearly new!

that's awesome. how much did you pay? does the operating time get reset when you remove the cmos battery? it'd be nice if thinkpads had an operating time too.

50 euros ('bout 65$) for all three.

No, it's hardcoded and can't be reset AFAIK.

how's it feel to have a rugged laptop?

replace your nub protector
I had a thinkpad that did that
had to take the rubber nub off and rotate then reinstall

fleet of T52's
You can mobo swap T52's and some later TB models
discreet gpu TB internal differences:
MOBO has GPU socket filled
WUXGA driver daughter board (can be eliminated by using different screen)

Toughbook batteries can be repacked
there is just a tiny thermostatic sensor to be mindful of inside,
else it uses panasonic 18650's

sexy

Holy shit 50 bucks for that ?
In what region of EU are you ?

More back-breaking than lifting a 70's Miele up two stories.

Just kidding of course: AWESOME!

And on and on. I could name 9000 reasons why I prefer Toughbooks over ThinkPads or other laptops. Not that I dislike my T22 that much, it only needs a battery.

CF-52 WUXGAs? Sadlmkr pls gtho lel

I actually have a CF-29 battery pack out of my 31 that has seen better days (55% wear as far I remember), but I cba to recell it, as I already brought a good (-/+ 19% wear) battery.

Netherlands, more specifically the "Radiovlooienmarkt" at Autotron, Den Bosch. I highly recommend going there if you're in Yurop.

Guy selling them was a older Britbong guy who got them off the NHS apparently. If only I went earlier that day to that flea market I might have scored much more than these three.

I'm selling them on to buy another 19 Mk6, 18's are quite old by now and they're not that interesting. Oh, and the fact that

By the time I fixed them all I could have gotten two 19 Mk5's instead.

Can anyone in this thread take a decent picture?

If I can be arsed to use the Macro Mode on my N900's camera and use proper lighting, then yes.

Do you guys think my waifu would appreciate one of these for her birthday? I have an x200t that I'm fixing to install Manjaro or some other beginner's distro and rice the shit out of it to her liking. Autism?

If she's into Linux go for it. Just make sure you got the tablet drivers and the buttons fixed up too.

I'm using X201s for about 6-7 years now, it will probably still be usable for another few years despite really heavy use and fan probably needing a replacement soon. However, I'm getting kinda worried what I'll replace this laptop with in case it dies completely.
So I'm thinking of eventually buying a refurbished X220 (don't like the newer X models) and I have a few of questions:
- should I wait a year or two for the prices to drop even further, or is there a possibility that the ones in good condition will disappear sooner than that?
- how much of a price difference are higher CPU models worth paying considering that I plan to use it for a long time?
- I've read somewhere that the touchpad is really bad on X220, is it much worse than the X201 one? (I find the latter perfectly fine)
- does it even make sense to buy such an old model if I plan not to buy anything else for at least 7 more years?

And holy shit 2GB really makes a difference!

I also overclocked it to 1.9 GHz and it fucking flies with a modded Win7.

Why do you think a dwindling supply of x220 laptops mean that the price will drop? If anything, the price will rise as the supplies decrease.

Disregard this, I just ordered a caddy, a latch and a pair of covers for the best of the two. Still need a battery, the USB/DC-IN port covers and possibly a IDE HDD, if the WD Blue 40GB one I have is really that dead.

Still not much in the way of "damage" to my poorfag wallet, 17$ AUD for the three small parts and 15 USD for the caddy with cable.

Gonna make a beater out of this thing, I guess.

I didn't mean to imply that there's a connection between the two, on the contrary - either one or the other. If the supply stays the same while the laptop ages, then the prices might drop further. My question is: will they? Or will the supply drop instead, so I should buy one now?

Also brought the two USB port covers. I only need a battery and a DC-IN cover.

Haven't heard back from the battery seller yet.

The price will drop.
Demand is dwindling even faster.

i'm a thinkpad guy, but lately i'm interested in a cf-19. you would probably know more than i, what is the deal with batteries? from what i have gathered it looks like all toughbooks (except for the most recent models) share the same battery pack.

CF-19's use pic related as the battery, and the 29/30/31 use the 2nd pic.

19's are trash water resistance wise, there's a design flaw causing water ingress near the touchpad. It hasn't been the first time I ruined a tablet Toughbook this way.

And there's this: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Toughbooks

thanks for the info user. i'm not too worried about water resistance, as i wouldn't actually be using the machine in a rugged environment. i'm just looking for something that can take a beating, and will be serviceable for an extended period of time.

the cf-19 looks much more portable than than the cf-30/31. the strange handle design on the 30/31's also looks like some fisher price shit, if i am being honest.

the nearly-generic battery design is a great (and obvious) idea. i have no clue why laptop makers all use different batteries. batteries even vary from model to model and year to year. it seems absolutely retarded to me that such a critical component would be designed in that way.

if it were up to me, all laptops would use a battery like the toughbook. it would make finding quality replacements for old machines much easier.

The 19 definitely is far more portable than the bigger brothers.

I am finishing a diy expresscard eGPU
total cost: $15
It's a single channel PCIe slot
bitcoinminers proved the difference between x1 and x16 for most gpu use is negligible

I should get one for my 31, got a pic of yours?

Where can I find the LVDS to eDP converters for the T420 1080p IPS mod? Are the gooks done producing them? Are there still 3rd party sellers?

Seller of the USB port covers actually sent me three and I now have a improvised AC port cover. Based Lithuanians!

And I got my caddy in the mail too.

God damn. So close!

Back on topic+forgot to add: i'm selling it off and getting another CF-19 Mk6 instead. Or something else, I guess.

What a pleb

Would you say the same thing about 2nd gen CPUs on x220? The difference between i5-2520M (most popular, can get for a good price at any time) and i7-2640M (highest, but pretty rare) is about 10% in terms of benchmark performance yet the prices of i7 are usually inflated way beyond 10%.
So is waiting for a good priced highest CPU worth it? How much are benchmarks relevant to common usage anyway?

what is the significance of that number? and why are you going to sell it and possibly get something else entirely?

first of all, i don't even have a webcam on my thinkpad. secondly, i actually use my built in mic a lot. and the privacy implications do cross my mind.

maybe i will add a hardware switch to turn the mic off and on. should be pretty easy.

728 being Wittgenstein the Supercomputer's model number and 745 being a Miele washer-dryer, in this case the WT745. And boy, I loved mine. if it didn't shit the bed due to program timer failure, which is a common Miele issue

Back on topic: I was going to get 19 Mk6 again but then comes the question: what the fuck do I need with

Battery seller never responded back btw, what a faggot if you ask me.

What do you guys think of the X60 tablet?

Oh boy, I sold my CF-18 for 80$, now only hope the port covers and latch come in the mail tomorrow, it's being picked up on wednesday evening.

That said, should I get another 19 Mk6 or just stick with what I have? (31 Mk3 and a U1 Mk2)

Very irrelevant. The two processors are the exact same except the i7 is just clocked 300MHz higher. Go with whatever is in better condition and less expensive.

My x220 started acting funny. Thought it was a bad boot sector, and then a bad hard drive, and then I ran a memtest and it's failing at exactly Test #9 on both sticks. Running them both together or individually gets the exact same result. Haven't seen anything like this before. Worried it's a motherboard or CPU failure.

Anyone experience anything like this before? I'd like to narrow the problem down before I do anything else.

Toughbooktalk boycot when? archive.is/cfQya

This is the OP, look what I bought: ebay.com/itm/262895531694

A new battery for my T22, at last. If it lasts an hour or more, i'm happy.

Ended up almost buying a MSI GS60, but it had a broken lower cover so I didn't.

I'm calling the guy back later today to ask if he is willing to swap the lower casing from another GS60 he has.

Probably the same reason he installed steam.. aka. anons a faggot

I still have no idea why anyone would buy a chromebook and not an android tablet/w keyboard,
or even why Google wouldn't just make a desktop OS version of android like RemixOS...

Was horrible to see that screenshot.

Ayy lmao, I just got information that it's possible to use a CF-19 GPS in the CF-31.

The guy telling me said I shouldn't share it with the world. How about no, you fucking kike. if I want to share sekrit information from TBT with the world, then I do.

Expect this info to be on the IG wiki soon.

What kind of thermal pad size (thickness and width/height) should I use on x201s when replacing the original one?
The official maintenance guide doesn't say anything specific (it assumes you bought the whole original heatsink which already comes with the paste and pad applied) and I can't find anything on the web either.

i love the x60s, such a tight little piece, truly ahead of it's time. if only there was something like it with a newer cpu.

does anyone have experience with the x230? i'm thinking of getting one with the intention of corebooting it.

had you removed the ram before the problems started? if so, maybe some dust got into the socket? i'v
e never had any problems at all with ram. a few things to try:
1) get rid of that pozzed backdoor bullshit chinkpad a real computer
2) find different sticks of ram and run the memtest with those
3) if cpu/mobo is fucked, get rid of that pozzed backdoor bullshit chinkpad

what sense does that even make? nobody stands to profit from guarding that info, especially not some
nerds on an elitist forum that jacks off to fucking laptops. it's like people like to keep secrets
just because.

here's some secret that i found: i have had some unresponsive keys on my thinkpad for the past years
. i removed the key caps and massaged the rubber dome with various small items (hair pin, pen, etc).
by rubbing the contacts and, possibly, rubbing the rubber itself on the contact below i was able to
ressurect the keys. i can now use those keys normally instead of having to mash them down with tons
of pressure. i would be be careful to not use anything sharp to massage the rubber dome, and probab
ly don't bother trying this on a chinklet keyboard.

Apparently they do it to prevent eBay sellers upping the prices on >muh hard to find Toughbook parts, which is complete and utter bullshit if you ask me.

It got sold 30 mins after I left, oh well.

Dat triple post tho:

Just sold my 18 fuck yeah. Should I go for a 19 Mk6 now, even though it has the flaw in it's touchpad cable design?

Good question, since I am also wondering something like that. I am seeing people say thickness between .5 and 1mm. I suppose the area is up to your discretion? I think the heat sink had little guides etched into it.

I am wondering about if I absolutely need to use thermal pads, because I recently disassembled and reassembled an X201 and I don't have spare thermal pads, and the thermal pads were all dried out and fell apart immediately. So I put thermal paste. I hope it will be okay for regular use, seems fine. Hope I'm not being an idiot.

Pic related is from a dissasembly vid of a regular X201

I've read somewhere that standard thermal paste by itself shouldn't be used for gaps bigger than 0.2mm since it's only made for filling minuscule gaps in the surface itself.
But there's the "K5-PRO" paste which is intended specifically as pad replacement. It is convenient because you don't have to care about the size, but it doesn't have as much heat conductivity as the best pads.
The most effective way seems to be copper shims sandwiched between standard paste, but you really need to make sure that the shim is the exact same thickness as the gap otherwise it might slip out which could cause a short circuit.
Then there are people who've successfully used standard paste in combination with bending the heatsink itself to close the gap.

I know all this is pretty autistic but temperatures on my X201s can quickly get very high so I'm looking for something effective and reliable. Right now I'm thinking of ordering some quality 1mm pads, better slightly too thick than not enough I guess.

Almost sold my U1 too but then I reconsidered, even though I could get a nice price for it.

Any cool shit I could do with it? Bike computer?

And I got my CF-18 parts in the mail, a day later after I sold it, talk about fuck logic.

Temps on my thermal-pasted X201 stay rather okay, like in the 40s to 50s sitting. I don't think that's bad, right? I'll get pads anyway.

Also if you use Wangblows you can use TPFanControl for a little more control on your fans, for any ThinkPad I suppose.

Of course not.

If I had spare parts to run more tests, I would. I'm trying to draw a conclusion without that luxury.

Also, it's a ThinkPad thread. As much as I'd love an IBM laptop, I can't feasibly use a laptop from 2005 daily. The whole idea is to buy older Lenovo models and strip the botnet from them.

I'm using thinkfan on GNU/Linux. After being cleaned of dust the temperatures are about 30 right after boot with just DE running, and in the 40s when a whole bunch of casual programs are running. Add 10 when the laptop doesn't get cleaned for half a year. They're perfectly fine for casual use, even when playing games.
But the problem is that I can't keep them from rising without limit when I do something intensive like compiling, they go through the roof. The CPU doesn't seem to get throttled automatically at high temps either so I have to throttle it manually to a constant low frequency. This makes compiling much slower than it should be.
Basically, my goal is not so much to lower temperatures overall but to stop them from rising without limit in certain situations. I'm hoping thermal paste and pad with high thermal conductivity will make a difference.

Is the X220T any good for drawing? They seem fine for Krita. Coreboot should work, too (athough Intel's ME is needed for now).

Pretty sure the X220T has a digitizer, so it's pretty good for drawing.

Checked!

I was right, it does last at least an hour. Not bad for a chink battery!

It is pretty good but the screen is just very small.

Sold my CF-U1 today, that Atom really is pure trash.

Oh well, got a very nice offer for it and took it.

Still on the fence of getting a 19 Mk6 or not..

I can get a T420 for 150 (gbp)

is that good

X220 is kill and I've always wanted a mobile workstation, so I picked up a W520 off eBay. Should be here next week.

Will keep you guys posted with its status as I de-poz it.

I did this for my mom, and she was very happy with it. Just install Plymouth, and force a quiet boot, so the console doesn't scare her. I also installed stuff like Libre Office, Ungoogled Chromium, Skype, and Spotify, so she could get her bearings. Cinnamon DE works great for newbies.

X260 after 7 months of 4hr browsing daily:

Internal: Sanyo, 80% capacity
External: LG 23Wh, 94% capacity

Degrades faster than I expected. Charge threshold 75% - 85%.

Otherwise, been pretty happy with it, though it's still a bit lacking: no m2 pcie and screen only goes up to 1080.

I also tried using secureboot with it, but apparently bootguard can be broken, they haven't fixed this.

Do you use scaling? How much? Which OS?

No scaling. Arch with gnome 3.

I'm assuming you've nevertheless made fonts bigger? I was looking looking precisely at X260 few days ago but 768p would be too low for me, yet native FHD is way too much to be able to work with text comfortably all day long.
So I'm wondering if it would work to enlarge only fonts by factor of 1.2 or 1.25 while keeping the UI and everything else native. Can you try that out with a terminal or text editor opened and screenshot it?

No. I keep everything 1x.
Except maybe one or two websites.

Also it looks hideous if you try that. If you ever tried enlarging fonts in a phone's accessibility settings you'll know.

Thanks a lot. The UI-font size difference is too much at this factor, but I see you already set fonts to 11 though, weren't they 10 or 9 by default?

Pretty sure they're all 11 by default, though I can't remember.

Got this T500, for 200 CAD, I paid a bit on the high end, if I was more patient, I could of got one at 140-165. I love this baby, keyboard is great, everything just rocks. They swapped in a new battery at that price. I get about 1.5-2 hours under heavy use and 3+ under minimal use. I just got gentoo this week, haven't got around to setting up the environment, going to set up KDE 5. Check out the battery sticks out a small inch on the backside. This thing is so tough, I love it.

What do you need the ME for?

I thinks hes saying the ME is needed to run the X220t

those pictures are clearly a fresh installation, he hadnt set up sudo yet.

Is there an x220 or older era Thinkpad that has a good 13-14" IPS display?

He's a gentoo user, it is common knowledge that they desire to be penetrated by ransomware.

I don't think so, but you can probably put a custom IPS display in there. I'm sure there's somebody out there who has attempted this.

wew, I can now Install Gentoo on my CF-31, brought a 2nd caddy to put a spare SSD in.

And I also brought 2x256MB RAM for my T22, and a eGPU dock for my 31, and a T23.

Forgot pic.

No, the IPS on the X220/X230 is the only halfway decent one out there.
You could try modding though.

Posting this from my brand new R50e I brought at a flea market earlier today!

Needs a reinstall though.

Check my dubs too, because why not.

Fuck I broke the cooler while cleaning it.

Will any others fit? I guess in the meantime I could undervolt the fuck out of it instead.

Actually scratch that, the fan never comes on even though it works fine with missing fan blades.

Based IBM, overbuilding laptops since 1992.

Should be getting my T23 later this week.

And my CF-31 caddy, and my eGPU dock.

Well, of course it is the battery. But what could have happened here? Is the battery probably gone forever? I just got this dang thing.

What does "relatively new" mean? New but manufactured ages ago?

Oh well, I took the T61 home from my office and they had a spare that was still in the box unopened and shipped from Lenovo. I guess that means it was manufactured ages ago. I'm just complaining for the sake of complaining I suppose.

should I bother?

Depends on what that other laptop is and what your needs are. What new does the X200 bring into your life?
If your current laptop is mostly the same as X200 then I would cancel the order and eventually buy something different in terms of size or performance so that you have a wider coverage of different use cases.

Fuck yeah i'm getting my T23 and eGPU dock tomorrow.

Apparently some guy on Toughbooktalk has a ASUS XG Station and used it with his CF-19 Mk2, wonder if a EXP GDC Beast likes my 31 Mk3.

How hard is it to find a keyboard replacement for an X200 and replace it?

Not hard at all. Lots of them on ebay and the work is minimal.

Replacing is trivially easy, you just unscrew a few screws on the bottom and unplug the keyboard from the motherboard.
Finding one depends on which layout you're searching for. There's plenty of US, UK and DE layouts, while other layouts are harder to find. In that case try searching by the product number as well. You can see these numbers here:
support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/migr-70524

I think I now got the fastest CF-31 Mk3 in the world, lmao.

Also ordered a P-M 735 for my R50e which i'm recieving tomorrow. Hopefully I won't break more stuff, I already broke my T23 which was in a HORRIBLE state though, more than I thought

How did you break it?

Ripped off a coil while wanting to replace the thermal compound.

Fuck IBM for making the T23's cooler so fucking hard to remove, holy shit. It took me 10 seconds to remove my T22's cooler!

what's wrong with malwarebytes?

help I am being overrun by laptops.

Left to right: CF-31 Mk3, T22, R50e

Did someone say fully rugged gaming laptop?

fugg

It isn't much but it made my day. Comfy typing angle now. And more USB ports.

libreboot.org/

archive.is/6ttbQ

wtf, does >tfw get censored?

wtf does sage get censored too?

Yeah I figured it has come to this, I hope it's easy

[panic intensifies]

and yes I h4x0r'd the fuck out of that V12 .lua to get 3.8k+ HP, and that insane Engineering Time

lets get some old shit in here
380ED coming in

When I bought my T22 there was a 310ED I bought too, but the hinges were badly worn and broke off, so I scrapped it.

Still have the HDD though.

Is there any option in the BIOS of circa 2010 Thinkpads to absolutely throttle CPU like the powersave governor does in GNU/Linux? There's no clear indication what the available options actually do.
Here's my situation: I need to run Memtest but the laptop rapidly overheats without any limit. I know the longterm solution is to replace thermal compound, which I plan to do, but I need to run Memtest now.

Or alternatively, is there a way to make fans more aggressive in BIOS? That would work as well.
thinkfan (which I already use) is irrelevant since I need the fans to do their job while running Memtest.

Nevermind, I managed to do it by changing AC Power options to "Balanced", this basically throttled the CPU and made fans slightly more active but really not by much. The BIOS fan settings are really shit. The whole Memtest was passed at a stable temperature of around 57°C, it was slow as fuck but at least it didn't fry my laptop.

Got another WT745 and loving it! Needed two new capacitors on the engine board, works fine now.

Also bought some shit from flea markets:

And I got a free Toshiba P200 which needs a new keyboard.

I've been meaning to do this for three years now but I think it's finally time. I'm looking at an X230. After I get it, should I pull out the microphone, intel wifi card, bluetooth and 3G reader? How would i go about installing libreboot?

no, x200 is last x to support libreboot. They are working on porting to x220, but that is not released yet.

Alright, how about coreboot?

I don't know, try using a search engine.

Ended up selling the P200 and N610c for 15 euros, not a bad profit if you ask me. (N610c 2 euros on a King's Day flea market, P200 free)

It still connects but doesn't click in. Is there anything I can do to fix it?

I guess you can call that.. a tripping ethernet port!

Replace the jack?

Re-solder it? I can look into it.

Nono, replace the entire jack. If it works fine I don't see why you would nee to re-solder it.

That is, if your port's actually loose.

That's what I meant, unsolder the old one and replace it. I haven't cracked the case yet, but I hope I can just get a vanilla ethernet jack and drop it in.

ebay.com/itm/222269929117?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT#shpCntId

Opinions? I know it has windows 10 but this basically has everything i need, will wipe and add some kind of distro like mint or Kubuntu
Currently have a Acer Aspire ES1-572-35HI
It's ok besides having a cheap touchpad and the screen is bad, unless i tilt it. Spent 379$ on it, could of done better and got a x220 instead and saved 150$+ at least

*insert pre-programmed "too expensive read the fucking thinkpad buyers guide" here*

No, really, 250$ for a X220 is too expensive. Bought mine last year for 195$ and it wasn't in awesome shape either.

You can limit the battery using a lenovo settings app for windows.

Sane thing to do would be to Chuck windows.

Got a used T430 at Fry's a few months ago. Best laptop I've ever had by far. There's an old IBM R series ThinkPad that I've kept in a closet at work so I can grab it sometime this week.

I erroneously assumed that older Thinkpads would have replacement batteries available since they're still popular and get recommended a lot. Now I have a Thinkpad T500 with a chink battery that's total garbage since the original Lenovo batteries are nowhere to be found. Don't fall for the Thinkpad meme.

Why are people so used to be spoon-fed?
Is it only a millenial thing or is everyone like that?

I was actually just planning to do that, but idek what distro I should use.

Or I could go Old School Mode and use Windows 2000.

Kahlon

If you're thinking of buying an old laptop of any kind make sure to check first if whatever parts you want to replace are still available. This is just common fucking sense retard.

You're the retard, and provided the answer already. Without a doubt you are sixteen years old. Get off the internet.

Question. I got some very interesting information about unlocking a Toughbook BIOS password, but should I share it here or try to Social Engineer my way into Toughbooktalk's sekrit part and leak everything?

Any suggestions if you are missing the display locking tabs for x220? Just thought about putting velcro down. Any better suggestions?

i bought a t420 on monday. what can i expect? can i libreboot the nigger?

cant wait to have the thinkvantage.

Libreboot-ed Thinkpad X60 here. I fucking love this thing but I have no idea what to do about its middle click button. I need a new one. I can't find any for sale on the internet and I have no idea how to put a new one IN the thing. It looks like you'd have to bend it in half to get its little pegs in the holes. What the fuck do I do?

hwat in fuck?

if i recall correctly, you must remove the left and right buttons before putting the middle one in.

Buy a mouse.

How good a result are you supposed to get with the X200T digitizer? It's a little off on mine even with calibration attempts but in specific places. Also not shown, but moving too far up-left makes the pen "wrap around" somewhat and start drawing jagged lines straight down half-way.

HERESY.

is that proprietary software?

World's first Toughbook with a gayming GPU.

I sold the GTX650 and bought a 1050, but of course I got Jewed by Jewvidia and can't run any drivers newer than 375.63.

Replace the palmrest? idek I don't know much about ThinkPads.

What, Windows or Automation? (the game that's running in the background)

Pretty based game and so do the devs, updates take forever but WHEN they come out, they're fuckhueg. (the next update is a conversion from some homebrew engine called Kee Engine, to UE4)

That, and Turbo Threes, and V10s in the next update = hype confimed!

I bet those fags on /g/ never heard about the Toughbook shill that made this thread.

wew, unpaid shilling for a 4,5 grand Japanese-made block of magnesium

Help, I think I just caught the ThinkPad virus. I bought a X31 on a flea market earlier today.

Funny how this happens to be a TOL(?) 1.7 GHz X31. Windows is passworded, but that's no big deal. Gotta upgrade the RAM to 1GB first.

Wow, I finally bought my first Toughbook GPS module.

Super cheap too: www.ebay.com/itm/272637491570

Expect a short writeup of how it performs on the IG Wiki soon(tm)

AND IT HAS A BRAND NEW BATTERY, FUCK YEAH!

Not that it makes it any more usable as a daily laptop, though. I tried browsing Holla Forums on my T22 and it's slow af

What is the thinkpad with the longest battery life? I have an T410 and I use it for games and watching videos on the internet. In the summer here, almost every other day there is some stupid thunderstorm that lasts all night, so at least I can watch some movies on my laptop. But this laptop only lasts 4 hours with a 9 cell battery.

Is there something better that's not expensive?

sexy action shot
[spoiler]$25 near mint[spoiler]

Is there a fucking script to change the function key to l_ctrl and l_ctrl to function key?
Later thinkpads have bios that do this shit, but my X200 can't do it, like what the fuck is this subhuman crap

spoonfeed me please.
what's the most modern thinkpad to support libreboot? perhaps with a 16:9 AR IPS screen

the x200 has a 16:10 display
maybe the t400

just check which laptops have a Core2 Duo, ktgee.net/post/49423737148/thinkpad-guide

16:10? at last, i truly see!

x60/t60
see this img

that's about what I'd expect, are you expecting a miracle? The obvious solution is multiple batteries and a short intermission between animes.

>ktgee.net/post/49423737148/thinkpad-guide
tumblr scum

So you're knocking a guide just because >tumblrfags?

C'mon man, you can do better than that.

That guide is present in literally every /tpg/ thread, you sperg

Just got an x200s with the dock for $65 CAD.
Did I do good?

It's just that I've seen these new laptops last even 12 hours even when gaming. I thought there was something less expensive that would maybe last me 6 or 7 hours.

nice

I wish there was a proper video on how to libreboot hardware because fucking with computer chips makes me nervous. You think if I walk to the FSF downtown they'll do it for me for free?

You actually live near the FSF? Neat. You should stop in, ask for a tour, and give them your fizzbuzz dude!

it's in downtown boston so I can take the train there in like 15 minutes

I'm way to shy and awkward to just go in

also what's a fizzbuzz

Finally managed to setup Zorin OS on my 31.

Don't care for the trackpad though

are you saying you endend up in Holla Forums without knowing what a fizz buzz is?
is this bait?

dank samurai meme

There are hackerspaces where you can get help flashing.
lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libreboot/2016-04/msg00013.html

sorry to disappoint you, user.

I'll look to see if there's one around me, thanks

I have a T420 now, but the hardware is feeling a little dated. Where should I go from here if I want something newer?

Best OS for an old 32 bit x60 tablet? Only like 1G of ram

Umh, I would suggest to keep the laptop and upgrade both SSD and CPU.

GNU

Upgrade to 4GB RAM and watch that thing fly.

Also, Libreboot+Linux-libre

you can upgrade the cpu?

I'd say go straight for 8

That's like saying "buy a Ferrari instead of a Volvo!", ergo 2x4GB DDR2 is expensive as fuck and not worth it for a X60.

T420"S" and X220 have a soldered CPU, T420 on the other hand not.

that makes sense considering how I tend to overdo things a lot.

I never knew CPUs were upgradeable at all to be honest.

If I had the $$$ I would have upgraded my T22 to a 1 GHz CPU, the 1400x1050 display and a T23 lid with the antenna built in. Even though my T22 already has a T23 lid, but with the 13.3 XGA screen.

And yes, most older laptops have upgradeable CPUs. Bought a HP NC4400 last year for cheap, a T7200 CPU on Jewbay for 2,50$ and then gave it away to a relative in Serbia, as he needed a laptop for school. He loves it!

Yeah I have already upgraded to an SSD. They thing really bumming me out is the wireless card (Centrino 6205) which absolutely SUCKS in GNU.

I'm trying GuixSD!

Anyway, can an X60 boot without hassle using GPT?

This is what hell looks like for someone who has absolutely no idea what they are doing and is trying to flash coreboot on an x220 by following step-by-step guides.

Fuck.

I've got a couple of these that need new BIOS batteries, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

You need more beer.

I'm installing arch and I'm stuck in the bootloader bit. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to install grub, exactly. Can anyone clarify a bit for me, please?

The next four year I will be studying graphical design, and that requires a laptop. I want a libre boot, durable laptop for that.
Should I get a Thinkpad with a touch screen? A TP with great resolution? Or should I assume that I will need lots of propietary software for my studies and get a non-free laptop?

pacman -S grub-bios os-prober

mkinitcpio -p linux

grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
grub-mkconfig --output /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Unmount and reboot. Should all work. This is assuming you have not done encryption.

If your school's policy on proprietary software is like everybody else's, they will be doing their work with proprietary software; they will be teaching you how to operate in the proprietary software tools. If you intend to use these program on your own computer, they will probably have student licenses of these programs and expect you to use them.

Maybe it's possible to achieve all you work with the upstream free software programs available today but my guess is that it won't be the case.

This was the case for me when I went to school to study engineering and computer science, I refused to install any non-free software onto my own computer so I did most of my course activities on the school computers.

Just got a t420 as my first thinkpad, typing on it now.
It's got the nvs 4200m and an upgraded HD+ screen. Pretty much everything is mint to, no glossy keyboard.
Besides the fact that the keyboard is a bit flexy this thing is pretty much perfect for me.

THANKS PANASUCKIT

I'm torn between getting a x201 and an x220.
Witch one should i get?

Qubes and FreeBSD both work perfectly on my X220. So does any other Linux distro.

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

Also have you mongoloid retard tried it with the deblobbed kernel?

Your point?

Linux is the shortened, or common name, for GNU/Linux. Mostly because it's easier and faster to just say Linux, as opposed to GNU/Linux. That doesn't change what it is, just how we reference it.

When I think of freedom this Independence Day, I'll be thankful of our choices in general and Linux's natural rights specifically. In regard to your post though, that choice is that you can run any operating system you desire. I don't think that dovetails into meaning every piece of software designed should be able to run on all of them. I would think that preferable.. GNU and Linux are not pawns of the freedom of information and shareware - they are making great products and to do this some things need to be proprietary and involve the transfer of money from designer to user. If that wasn't the case neither would be a blip on the radar.

Are you saying that this Linux can run on a computer without Windows underneath it, at all? As in, without a boot disk, without any drivers, and without any services? That sounds preposterous to me.

If it were true (and I doubt it), then companies would be selling computers without a Windows. This clearly is not happening, so there must be some error in your calculations. I hope you realise that Windows is more than just Office? It's a whole system that runs the computer from start to finish, and that is a very difficult thing to acheive. A lot of people don't realise this.

My friend, I admire your tenacity, but I'm afraid there is no authority that dictates how to pronounce acronyms. Using phonetic rules could lead to either pronunciation. I simply reported my observation, but I find the arrogance in your response interesting. Why are you so confident it's not "ganoo"? I'm an expert on these matters, so listen up and listen good - I'll try to keep this simple but it won't be easy, because I am an expert, as I mentioned previously.

A heads up for those of you who have maybe lost your tempers or are about to post in this thread: is basically impersonating a man by the name of Richard Stallman, whose opinions you can see in the first page of this board. The whole GNU/Linux thing is a rant by Stallman that has been copypasta'd across the internet thousands upon thousands of times ironically, since his opinions have become a bit of a joke to many. I just assumed that people would be in on the joke by now (if they actually are involved with Linux) or at least not get so mad that this fag needs to get involved. I myself have posted a fake reply from Linus Torvalds (if you don't know him, he invented the Linux kernel featured in the rant in cause it's pretty humorous to nerds, I think.

I know, it's not what you want to hear. But Mac OS is stable, secure, and has tons of free, easy to use, and open sourced software. There's really no reason to use Windows or Linux, which aren't as easy to use.

Next level shitposter there mate.

I wouldn't replace my X201s for X220 if you paid me. Better keyboard layout, better screen resolution, better touchpad, has all the led indicators, etc. etc.

Just sent rms a mail about LinuxBIOS for my T22.

That's pretty retarded.
RMS knows and cares about the GNU and FSF, I'm pretty sure he doesn't have the time and the interest to be involved in other crap like Coreboot, which isn't anyhow related to him.

Why do you bother St. iGNUcius with the stuff he has not been involved with?

Your letter belongs to libreboot mailing list. Or in order to get a faster reply write directly to Francis Rowe himself. He is a BDFL of libreboot and his email is [email protected]/* */.
Protip: address him as sir, otherwise he might ignore you (kinda autistic). But he's a nice guy though, red-pilled and also a shitlord like us. And use British spelling because I believe the guy is a BNP member or something and crazy about it.

I'm pretty sure he owned T22 before and will be able to help you.

And if you want to bug RMS on the real issue, remind him about TempleOS still not being recognized as a completely free/libre OS.

Sounds like a plain old cunt to me.

At least he is not a fucking disgusting social justice tranny faggot wanker. That's for sure.

you devil :^)

So Holla Forums I want to upgrade my x220 hard drive and mSata with the SSD version, but I'm bit broke so only one can be upgraded.
Which one should I choose Holla Forums??

So what eGPU would you recommend if I have a x230?

I got this T60 & R31 for $10 a few weeks ago, still haven't done anything with them yet. They both work and the R31 is in great shape. The X200 is librebooted and serves as my main use laptop and desktop.

you should get an ultrabase then

I never really thought I needed one, but since they can be had for

How can I get rid of these three "holes" I accidentally made in my CF-31's palmrest?

Note to self: tell dad to fuck off when i'm repairing something.

T60 is a good choice?

Meh, if freedumbs X200, otherwise just get a Dell Latitude.

ThinkPads post x2x models are hilariously bad.

Or go full blown autism and buy a Toughbook, which I haven't regretted at all.

Is there a thinkpad with a processor that can compile effectively? I'm going to install gentoo on one and I'd like to avoid 2 hours of compiling firefox. The x20 series seems to have the best processor out of the classically designed thinkpads, but I'm not sure how suitable a dual core sandy bridge cpu is. I could get a t420 and upgrade to a quad core i7 but then there's the issue of heat and again I don't know how effective sandy bridge is.

T430 with the i7 and Classic Keyboard?

Should be doable apparently: thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Classic_Keyboard_on_xx30_Series_ThinkPads

Help me anons, i'm very close to ordering a CF-19 Mk6 from JewBay as a beater Toughbook.

Or should I go with a much more cheaper and battered Getac V100X instead?

t60 is pre-x200, and decent

x200 was really last good series, anything older should be fine. some models have problems with warm handrests and whatnot though so it might be worth doing some googling

thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPads are a joke post IBM.

What's a good Wi-Fi card with free drivers to replace the non-free Intel Centrino N 6205 on the X220? All I know that there's Atheros, with the ath9k driver, but which model is the best?

AR5BHB63

considering getting a W500 as the successor of my T61, because >glorious 16:10 and can handle 8gigs of DDR3, which is a must.

just one mystery, what's the best CPU the W500 could handle? I've read some experiments with a core2quad, maybe with an alternative BIOS mode...

Where is that pic from?

I hope you'll soon be able to clean up that mess.

Nevermind found it, Alita: Battle Angel.

I have been in graphical design and two things we almost mandatory
and

I was == forced == to use their shit in the classroom the teacher didn't know anything about computing.
For my own used I used these tools in replacement.
Scribus, Inkscape, Gimp and Krita.
I won't lie to you it's a hell of a course when you do both because their isn't someone next to you who knows how to use the free/libre tools.

This
I tried to show that we could have (approximately) the same result with something other than apple and adobe but the cult of apple and muh adobe performance are strong.

The biggest problems comes when you have printers that are only made to work with adobe software.
I swear to god if I had the CEO of xerox in front of me I would fucking rape his ass for the shit his engineers made me go trough.

Just bought a palmrest for my T22, as the original one is cracked.

Why I am spending money on a 16 year laptop, idk. Do I love my T22? Certainly!

Just bought a R52 with a sadly broken FlexView IPS screen and the X300 GPU for.. 15$

Dirty as FUCK though, with loads of nicotin residue everywhere. Seller bought it brand new back in '06 for his wife.

Yay for sniping advert sites I guess.

his post had nothing to do with politics you faggot commie

Is $50-80 on eBay sketchy for a T60 with the BIOS shown? What battery should I get?

Not at all. I bought my x200 for 50 bucks on an auction. Original batteries are way too expensive... I simply ordered one (9 cells) from AE from 30 bucks and seems to be pretty good.

Just bought one that comes with the battery, so I guess I'll see how bad that one is before I get one. How long does it last?

Ended up doing pic related+my T22's palmrest came in the mail, fuck yeah. Apparently ThinkPads.com are just as pozzed as Toughbooktalk is.

2-0 for Holla Forums vs forums once again!

Should be getting my CF-28 adapter soon(tm)

Left to right: T22, R50e guts, R50e with R52 board, Toughbook 31 Mk3.

It surprises me how usable a Pentium M is in 2017, Firefox runs like a dream with 2GB DDR2 RAM and the ATI X300 GPU.

Might try Deus Ex next, which is something I used to play a lot in class on a Dell Latitude D810

Or a eGPU!

And of course like a retard I broke the R52's keyboard. No big thing though, as it's gross as fuck with nicotin residue.

Might pick up a dead T42p for parts, seller does not know if the board or screen is dead, so I hope the board's dead so I can swap the screen over to my R50.

HAHAHA: archive.is/KLlXY

Get rekt, Toughbooktalk!

I have a T420, and been trying to get a BSD variant on it. Any suggestions? I know there's an explicit guide for fBSD

I might aswell An Hero myself tell him to go fuck himself and ask my money back, but whatever.

FUCKING

REEEEEE

archive.is/oWhXz

Oh my god, wish me luck faggots. Getting b& on Cuntpads.com incoming in 3... 2... 1...

archive.is/dRrk5

Got my answer.

Might make a Hybridpad page on the IG wiki because fuck the inane faggotry that is called ThinkPads.com

[panic intensifies]

archive.is/UuUMI

Checked!

Should I just replace the motherboard then? Or can I find the proprietary ROM somewhere and flash it externally? It looks like the Pomona clip actually costs a few more dollars than the motherboard itself so I guess I should just do that.

You chose the worst laptop to Libreboot. Didn't you read the documentation? It's full of caveats.

i read the other parts lesson learned.

lession

i want to fucking kill myself now

Can I have your T60 if you An Hero yourself?

There are three options that I see:

As I recall from libreboot docs circa 2014, the BIOS chip at least on an X60 has a serial number or something that prevents ROM dumps from one machine from being used on another. This is probably also true for a T60.

If you can ssh into your machine, you might be able to get away without buying the test clip. If it boots as is but with no sshd or video, you could put the hard drive in another machine, enable sshd, and swap the hard drive back, or maybe you could try to nigger-rig a test clip with electrical tape and scrap wire.

I thought of that but it only gives me beep codes after resetting the cmos battery so it looks like hardware flashing is the only way.
I guess I could do that if I had the clip. It looks like I might as well just replace the motherboard for now, but I'll keep the bricked one for later. I could use it to replace a completely dead motherboard later on.

but i already came all over it

Stop.

I want to kill the guy who runs ThinkPads.com because pic related.

NO1 CARES
KILL YOURSELF

I think you should end yourself instead.

Just installed the new motherboard and it's fine now.

Little Caesars or Dominoes?

The box was generic and clean, so the guy probably worked at or knew somebody from a mom and pop place.

Entire new mobo? Couldn't you simply buy a SOIC clip and flash it with a programmer like RPi/BB?

It has AMD graphics which means I would have to blob libreboot, (right?) which means I would need an intact copy of the video firmware. (right?) It was cheaper anyway, but I might have a look at it later on now that I have the latter again.

God damn, I spent 4.5 hours yesterday just trying to get my HybridPad thing working, thanks to those faggots from (((thinkpads.com))) who said it could be done.

Fucking ThinkPad community, man. There's more misinformation about them than there is about Trump.

With that being said, posting this from my hotrodded R50e-R52-T42p hybrid thing. Loving the IPS panel so far!

if you're willing to deal with some botnet the upcoming thinkpad retro will be one of the least pozzed systems available in terms of modern design.
blog.lenovo.com/en/blog/retro-thinkpad-its-alive

get an alfa awus036h usb wifi drivers work

Hah, you wish. You bet that Retro ThinkPad is gonna be pozzed to hell and back.

Well I'd be willing to suck an actual pozzed dick in exchange for a non-chiclet keyboard with hardware better than the equivalent of Intel Celery you find in non-pozzed systems, so there's that.

Thinkpad is fucking shit
There are so many better alternatives

Toughbook, Elitebook, Latitude/Precision, Tecra, Lifebook, and many more business laptops out there.

Ergo, there's a world outside ThinkPads thankfully.

Left to right: T22/R50e-R52-T42p hybrid thing/CF-31 Mk3

Probably soon(tm): CF-19 Mk6, waiting until the British Pound crashes with no survivors! and they get hilariously cheap on Jewbay.

Mods are asleep, so I'm doing their job for them. Anti-spam bump 3

Just bought some shit for my T22, a 1 GHz CPU (fastest one the T20-22 models support) and a UltraBay 2000 HDD Adapter so I can run dual hard drives, aka dualboot WinFLP, Loonix or Win2k.

Ayy lmao, getting the Blink of Death again.

Looks like I will have to find someone who can solder like a pro, going to try the 10kOhm resistor mod on the ADP3421 voltage regulator chip.

So according to this pic, I am a God, because I use a CF-31.

now i know how to hide my text thanx anomalous

does anyone know the sauce for this image? i've seen similar style of stallman before. i seriously hope that its creative commons

meant to reply to this post sry

please invest in a camera.
i should make a decent camera tier thread, speaking of, because it should not be tolerable.

as soon there's a Thinkpad, anywhere, there's a notorious mess.

1337 [email protected]/* */[email protected]/* */

I can't be arsed, nor can afford a decent camera. Besides, my N900 can do proper pictures if I take my time.

you wot m8

Posting this from my hotrodded T22, now with a 1 GHz CPU!

Also bought a ThinkPad Dock for that glorious PCI slot. Still waiting on my UltraBay 2000 HDD Caddy though.

Oh I have a Thinkpad 600X but finding a bigger hard disk (PATA) and more RAM for it (384Mb) is becoming difficult. As later I should get a new battery for it.

ebay.com/itm/182516941010
ebay.com/itm/161190685781

This should get your 600X up and running. Oh, and try finding a 850 MHz MMC-2 CPU if you feel adventerous.

Except those 850 MHz CPUs are hilariously overpriced: ebay.com/itm/251992174402

Thanks user! In fact I was looking for a much larger HDD, and above 120b those gets absurdly overpriced. Currently it's a Toshiba 80Gb with signs of "not doing so well"
For the RAM it's not really an emergency. maybe one day I'll get a pair of 512Mb SODIMMs.

Also yeah the other parts for this machine, or any actually solid machine remains expensive.

Maybe you could get one of these IDE to SATA converters? Or IDE to mSATA and put an mSATA SSD in there.

thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_put_SATA_in_old_ThinkPads doesn´t recommend using a IDE > SATA adapter.

Besides, it's a waste of money to put SATA in a 600X, you're limited to 33MB/s because 440BX chipset.

please, for the love of god, tell me this is bait
no one man can be so cringe-worthy

I've just bought a T530 for 250€, did I do good ?

if the screen is fullHD, with a good hard disk and 8gigs, why not. it's the average price for this kind of laptop today.
well if it suits your needs it's fine.

not bait, this user does really use win 2000 pro, and an old phone to avoid the CIA niggers.

It's a 1366x768 screen... And 4GB of RAM... And 320GB HDD...

oh well, terrible deal. your screen has just a few more horizontal pixels than this 1999 thing here

okay; do you read specs before yu buy,or you just... buy because your job allows you to buy anything you find?

Fuck. Getting the BoD more often on my T22.

Any tips for soldering? Already bought 2.2kOhm resistors but I can't solder worth a damn.

Lol, I unplugged the battery, held the power button while reinserting it, and boom it came back to life.

What the fuck even, IBM?

New thread:

Hilariously overpriced, you got screwed over m8

dilbert is by far and away the most thinkpad comic

They share your info with Google, I think.