Gahnoooooooooooo

Does anyone here use a libre GNU/Linux distro?

Other urls found in this thread:

trisquel.info/fr/forum/chromium-unconditionally-downloads-binary-blob
jenkins.trisquel.info/makeiso/iso/
jxself.org/linux-libre/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

yes

Yes, I use an iPhone at bistros. Mac runs on linus, right?

Nice thread you have here, totally worth another very likely useless thread die. Not

It's free with 2 non-free components.
My wireless firmware and radon firmware. Both in the kernel source.
Sometimes you have to use the enemies weapons to fight back.

yes

Bullshit
The only reasons to use such is to reverse engineer it or to make drivers from scratch if the manufacturer was kind enough to give you the manuals, nothing else justifies the use of it (well except maybe laptops).

No, you're just too lazy to get hardware that works without blobs. And that's fine, just don't lie about your reasons.

No, I'm not an autist, it doesn't matter.

Sell your computer and get one that can work without proprietary firmware.

That's me. It bothers me greatly that there is no such thing as a totally open and libre laptop.

Thinkpads my friend. The ones that support libreboot.

all of my software is 100% free software including kernel and drivers... i play older games that are proprietary, such as disciples 2, starcraft ,warcraft ,diablo, oblivion, morrowind, silent hill series etc... i just cannot resist them... anyway they are in wine so i dont care...

Why does this make a difference?

windows software is not designed to access some linux specific shit.. wine is just running them to work and thats all, feel free tp prove me wrong... i am really not very technicall about wine.. i dont think that old win games will look in / or /home to botnet something

The Wine home directory is full of symlinks to your real files, and there are probably other ways to reach the real filesystem. Software that's designed to spy on your files on a Windows system is likely to manage that even in Wine. But even leaving that aside, freedom and security are different things. If you just want to avoid proprietary software because you don't trust it then you can properly sandbox it even without Wine.

seems legit, really... i knew it in some way... i though about sandboxing but i didnt for two reasons... 1. Pop* software that i use is old... i dont think team silent or blizzard even thinked about that shit... 2. My gpu is shit for virtualization, i am on thinkcentre m58p with integrated shit

and btw i dont need more than this gpu, i upgraded to q660 for gentoo compilation.. i dont need anything else

I use Trisquel Gnu-Linux on a Librebooted thinkpad X60.

How is Trisquel?

Trisquel is ok, but really, i even managed to run it without systemd... but i literally had to reinstall whole os(packages)...

Trisquel is intuitive for windows users who are a bit experienced (aka who knows at least to install/uninstall and configure).
It's very very simple to install and uninstall software.
It comes with "gnome-app-install" witch is a very simplified version of synaptic.
Synaptic is also installed per default.

You only have software that is free/libre software so chromium isn't available for example.
See this thread to know why chromium isn't recommended or available in repository
trisquel.info/fr/forum/chromium-unconditionally-downloads-binary-blob

Hardware that requires non-free/libre software (blobs) isn't available that means intel wifi cards are mostly unusable and AMD gpus

Trisquel 7 is a bit outdated but the trisquel 8 alpha iso are downloadable.
jenkins.trisquel.info/makeiso/iso/

You can also use the repository of jxself (trisquels kernel maintainer) to upgrade to a more recent kernel
jxself.org/linux-libre/

Impressive, have some RMS image

I use Fedora for work Windows 10 at home

Fedora is free by default.

Fedora is free by default? get the fuck out of here you nigger, it contains pop* firmware in kernel by default, go suck a dick user

Debian is not FSF-endorsed, but it contains only libre software by default. Does that count?

Debian contains free software kernel and userland by default, BUT its repos are containing pop* software... So...

Debian is at the frontier of what is libre.
For a distro to be labelled "freedom respecting" distribution must not propose software that can be installed automatically or by error by the user.

But that doesn't mean that users are forbidden to install non-free software, just that you won't get help to install it by the free/libre community and that you have to refer to the non-free developers.

Thats your version of FSF philosophy. Debian is not endorsed because it contains non-free software in repositories.

Have you used any of the *buntus? It's almost exactly like that. It has two different versions, one with GNOME and one with LXDE. The LXDE version was pretty much just Lubuntu but with only Free firmware; I assume the GNOME version feels like Ubuntu-GNOME. If you've used any of the *buntu's, you'll know what Trisquel is like; the only real difference beyond the DE you have by default is that Trisquel has fewer packages available, and due to it lacking proprietary firmware it has worse hardware support. For the average (normie) user, unless their hardware isn't supported, I doubt they could even tell the difference.

I think its Cinnamon, not gnome.

The FSF's criteria for free distros is stupid.
>package manager configured to refuse nonfree licenses by default

Your distro should not be maintaining a list of non-free software for users to install. It doesn't matter if users have to change configurations to make it happen, as long as the list is officially curated by the distribution team, the team is making recommendations to install that software. The FSF will not recommend systems that recommend non-free software.

If this list was a blacklist that actively prevented users from (non-)intentionally installing the listed software, that would be a different matter.