Friendly reminder that desktop Linux is absolute fucking shite and not even the most ardent OSS fanbois deny it anymore

Friendly reminder that desktop Linux is absolute fucking shite and not even the most ardent OSS fanbois deny it anymore.

fosdem.org/2017/schedule/event/linux_desktop_versus_windows10/attachments/slides/1730/export/events/attachments/linux_desktop_versus_windows10/slides/1730/fosdem_linux_desktop_security.pdf

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/iu5er
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_(surveillance_program)
archive.is/OBGB1
archive.is/tW6fu
archive.is/2XIvX
archive.is/qLRZx
archive.is/thsGd
archive.is/sz1nt
archive.is/g3QdQ
archive.is/ko469
archive.is/l6pmO
archive.is/zK93U
archive.is/CEvKh
archive.is/vhjwm
archive.is/2jehd
archive.is/KQsBh
archive.is/MB0Yy
coaxion.net/blog/2016/11/writing-gstreamer-elements-in-rust-part-3-parsing-data-from-untrusted-sources-like-its-2016/
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=librsvg-2.41-Rust
esr.ibiblio.org/?p=2122
esr.ibiblio.org/?p=6918
esr.ibiblio.org/?p=7294
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Roberto_Rosario_PyCon_It_2015.jpeg
scarybeastsecurity.blogspot.nl/2016/11/0day-exploit-compromising-linux-desktop.html
github.com/redbrain/gccrs
gitlab.com/femsf/c-plus-equality
open-std.org/JTC1/SC22/WG14/
forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?t=11810
technet.microsoft.com/en-us/solutionaccelerators/cc835245
fosdem.org/2017/schedule/event/linux_desktop_versus_windows10/
microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=50802
redox-os.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

weak b8

Yes, desktop Linux is shite, but OSX and Windows are much shittier. I prefer the lesser shite.

This is why I use templeOS

Shit sliding thread.

not an argument, Lincucks

wew lad

your just one of few last lamenting zealots watching their most precious OS slowly fall into an irrelevant death.

wtf this slide contains like 30 different types of bait

Friendly reminder that it is all FUD and shilling for Rust. (see pages 21, 22 and 23 of PDF)

wew lad
archive.fo/iu5er

Microsoft is part of NSA's mass surveillance program "PRISM":
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_(surveillance_program)

Microsoft informs the NSA about bugs before fixing them:
archive.is/OBGB1

Microsoft openly offeres cloud data to support PRISM:
archive.is/tW6fu

Microsoft has backdoored its disk encryption:

archive.is/2XIvX
archive.is/qLRZx

Windows snoops on the users' files, text input, voice input,
location, contacts, calendar records and web browsing history,
even after related settings are turned off:

archive.is/thsGd
archive.is/sz1nt
archive.is/g3QdQ
archive.is/ko469
archive.is/l6pmO
archive.is/zK93U

Micrcrosoft automatically downloads Windows 10 on PCs running
Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 (between 3.5GB and 6GB), even if
users have not opted-in:
archive.is/CEvKh

Windows 10 scans for illegal/pirated software:

archive.is/vhjwm
archive.is/2jehd
archive.is/KQsBh

Microsoft proudly presents surveillance statistics:
archive.is/MB0Yy

enjoy your botnet

Go and Rust are interesting. Go shills always tell people not to use it. Rust fags are so desperate for attention they shill it in every topic they can. Just read the front page of Hacker News and someone will eventually bring up Rust. It's like a new Godwin's Law.

Rust is free software.

All discussions of Rust should be banned here. Nobody should be using cuckold languages in their open source programs.

systemd is free software too, and it's still a steaming pile of shit

Friendly reminder that C is deprecated and rewriting plumbing in Rust eliminates all of these bugs.
coaxion.net/blog/2016/11/writing-gstreamer-elements-in-rust-part-3-parsing-data-from-untrusted-sources-like-its-2016/
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=librsvg-2.41-Rust

It's 2017 folks.

1. it was fixed the same day on all major distros that it was discovered
2. it required some obscure emulation plugin
3. you should be visiting your internetz only from within a virtual machine anyway

This is just propaganda from Rust shills trying to get everything in Linux rewritten in Rust. Fosdem has been taken over by Rust communists.

Why does it matter that you're politically opposed to the Rust community? Either Rust does what it supposed to do or it doesn't. It's not like you're getting married to anybody when you use the Rust language in your programs. You also do not have to interact with the Rust community either. I've never had to do this for C++ or Java or Python so I don't understand why you'd have to do this with Rust.

Well, you obviously don't know shit. REAL PROGRAMMERS use C, unlike you, who only uses Pajeet languages. With real stable languages with little to no features, you need to interact with the community constantly, which is why everybody who has made a Fizzbuzz in C once has posted on several mailing lists discussing the C language spec section by section, because we all know it by memory.

It's not like C was ever updated or ever improved and will never be again.

Continue to suck the tranny mozillian dicks user you're doing a great job

This is just again a move of SJWs trying to acquire power and I won't let some mentally i'll retards destroy the hacker community
Eric Raymond wrote about this

Kafkatrapping
esr.ibiblio.org/?p=2122
Why Hackers Must Eject the SJWs
esr.ibiblio.org/?p=6918

And he also made a good article about rust
Rust severely disappoints me
esr.ibiblio.org/?p=7294

autistic wew

I tried to install visual C# (2012 / 2015 / 2017) to win 7 that previously had additional HDD which broke. Now VS installer thinks i still have it installed and fails with annoying errors (Microsoft.PortableLibrary.msi: account already exists) and literally nothing short of reinstalling the OS will fix it.

wine would be good alternative but I need Windows.Imaging, System.ComponentModel.Composition and System.Media.XXX assemblies to get some C# software work. I believe these are not available in Mono (need to be able to compile sources which use them).

Friendly reminder that your goal very obviously has nothing to do with reducing C-related bugs, because otherwise you would have been shilling Ada decades ago. Tell your SJW friends to be more subtle with their power plays.

should've used HURD

Remember that the protocol whenever the smug Adaposter pops out is to ask him what has he written in Ada.

What have you written in a language you just discovered half a year ago here in Holla Forums, user?

should use grsecurity+PaX anyway, they now have a full CFI kernel with RAP.
the mitigations have existed for atleast 10 years to deal with entire classes of bugs, Linux kernel still doesn't have the important ones it in.

FTFY, I'm on to your filthy SJW tricks.

Because it is so much better to exchange a *probably* 90% shit OS with one that is 100% shit.

>esr.ibiblio.org/?p=6918

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Roberto_Rosario_PyCon_It_2015.jpeg

wtf i hate linux now

He's dark even for American standards.

SJWs being retarded
What's new ?
That's the whole point of what Raymond is talking about.
These people don't care about freedom or making good software/work.
They just want to push a political agenda.

And how does (((Ada))) reduce bugs exactly?

we should ban all win and macfags, fucking negroids

Don't worry. 99% percent of the population of this very board hasn't even written a Hello World in Ada, so your identity would blend in right with them.

"Ada exists so we are going to keep using C" is exactly why we needed Rust. Ada is good as dead now, and nothing could have reanimated it. Rust also has nice stuff Ada doesn't, like metaprogramming.

>>>/templeos/

I'm not going to read his fucking slides. What bug are we talking about? Are we talking about an actual attack surface? Like remote expolitation?

Or something like a "Hey, I can interact with memory allocated for my user and do kernel stuff. Never knew how PCs worked" bug. I mean like the guy who thought, hey man one X app can interact with another X app kind of crap. Don't remember the blog.

Summary: What is this bug?

We could also implement filtering based on user agent. It would be pretty hilarious if all non GNU/Linux users would be automatically redirected to >>>/g/.

SJWs are known to try to get people fired and even promote violence against anyone who criticizes them. Are you going to upload a memory dump to them when your browser crashes?

and why should non-pedos care?

scarybeastsecurity.blogspot.nl/2016/11/0day-exploit-compromising-linux-desktop.html

It was patched straightaway everywhere. But still, it was a stupid 0zero day involving a stupid package that nobody actually uses but is installed on a lot of distros by default.

They aren't that many of them dude, but sure. The actual bug was the one linked.
HOWEVER, that's not really what you are intended to take away from the slides. The actual issue is that the linux desktop has horrible defense-in-depth and there's tons of suspect code that can fuck up your day thanks to things like indexing/thumbnails.

Oh, yea on all systems disable all that file indexing crap including AV. Not a good idea.

Just see how incredibly malicious things has happened, because of a simple thing such as the system deciding which program to open based on the file you double click on. The other way around "open program", "open file" would have saved a lot of idiots from e-mail attachments, not the worst idiots, but at least the idiots who trusted the file extension.

Oh it's that one. I really liked that exploit. Nice one.

((( )))

beware the language police

stricter semantics and stronger static checks.

In fact there's a very, very big chance that C11 will be the last revision ever

language != implementation

Help us write a Rust frontend for GCC
github.com/redbrain/gccrs

How difficult would it be for a filemanager to attempt to warn about this? If it checked a file when you're opening it, and said something like "This file is labeled as an .mp3 but it appears to be ." and then give some short warning about potential dangers. It seems like it should have already been implemented ages ago, yet I've never heard of it being done.

Research shows that more inclusive business environments are associated with better economic outcomes.

The days of programming using out-dated sexually violent coding paradigms are thankfully almost past.

If you want to still be working in computer science in ten years, it's time to update your skills. gitlab.com/femsf/c-plus-equality

for what I see they are still working on it
open-std.org/JTC1/SC22/WG14/

No source
And even if there is it's probably SOROS who funded it.
Want a good business ?
Employ talented/good people who care about their work.

3rd generation feminist pushing their politic agenda instead of making themselves better.

Correlation =/= causation. Big companies eat a small loss in productivity from diversity, in return for PR that attracts competent employees and customers.

Thanks for that, user.

Still no source

Employees only wants to make a good job, and their paycheck they don'(t give a dam fuck of --insert particularity-- of their customers.. well except for morons like you who will likely not serve someone who you consider to privileged or other BS.

Customers don't give a dam fuck of the products you server them has long has it just works and continues to works the same way, you should know that if you use the gnu operating system.

I was agreeing with you you mong

Sorry m8.
I didn't understand it.

Typical C-straight programmers with their problematic evidence based arguments. Cis-C's are going the way of the dinosaurs.

It's alright, I should have said

Yep, the tone is always LOOK AT HOW MANY FEATURES THIS LANGUAGE HAS. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD USE IT.... YOU CIS WHITE SCUM.

I wonder how quickly that language will go to shit.

Also who the fuck wants their library system(cargo) to have a hard dependency on git?

It makes me feel like they want the javascript library nightmare to infect systems and application programming.

Agreed but their are people who will make some claims that it isn't and they will make pseudo-studies lets say for example to know if air conditioners are sexist

I swear to god just search sexist air conditioner that's what made me say "fuck this" to the third generation of feminism.
After lots of research I have concluded that women equality was obtained at the second wave of feminism and if they want to be treated with respect they just have to prove it, just like any men.

Tasty kek, but that's what it took for you to see it? I gave up ten years ago after oh, the third woman that failed to fuck me despite my espoused feminist sympathies.

Good. The next step is to realize that women are not equal, and should not be treated as such. Attempting to show women respect only causes problems.

Really, all you need to know is to observe how women treat misogynistic shitlord chads the best vs. white knight betacucks. But just to help you out here's another juicy tidbit.

I'm spoilering just to minimize derailing, now fuck off.

So what? Every developer uses git, there are no exceptions.
Use git or die.

Why can't you ignore Kafkatrapping like I do? I respond to blatant attempts with something along the lines of "you are a liar" and leave it. It's obvious that they're not interested in proper discourse so why expend more energy than that. This is no different to dealing with trolls who are not SJW, they're not interested in discourse either so I don't bother with anything but a minimal, "you are a liar". Once again, my argument goes back to "ignore the community, just take the tools".

I like Rust because it is able to do high performance computing while being a safe language. I haven't evaluated it beyond the basics of getting recursive toy functions. I intend to try developing a toy OS kernel with it in the future. I also have not been interacting with the Rust community as I did this, all I did was download the tools and read the documentation.

I can do that if I feel like it. You're implying there's some kind of consequence to doing this and I'm not certain of what it is.

I am talking about legal rights

I do know that their are physiological differences between male and female one has to be retarded to not see it.

If someone wants me to respect them then they just just have to prove it.

Myself I have proven myself to the hacker community by making what people considers good and useful software.

A women who has more brains than the usual ones doesn't make trouble and makes good work.
But they are quite rare.

If you show respect to any dumb people it will always end in abuses.

I don't care about Holla Forums
The one who regularly says that is brainwashed and does not listen or argument?

Are you Swiss ?
Not listening to what is happening doesn't mean it's not happening.

That's not the best thing to do because you don't argue to why it's a lie.
Just do it once to show where the fallacy is.

Because some people who can be less vigilant might not see it.
Plus if some fresh/new sjw isn't to much brainwashed it could help that person.

I don't agree.
Trolls just want to have some keks and disorder.
SJWs wants to push a political agenda.

I would agree if you could easily hijack the project and make a new non-mad community who focus on making good software and having fun.
But that isn't the case mozilla has it's gripes on it and it won't let some white CIS scum nazi shitlord take it somewhere else.
To tell you how bad the mozilla community his see when they asked to censor things on the palemoon fork
forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?t=11810

I have more fun and good results with the guile community to be honest.

wew

With all things these days you have two choices:
Proprietary with better security against random people but it's backdoored.
Open source with terrible security but it's not backdoored.
Unfortunately, option 2 is no different than having a backdoor since it can be so easily compromised.

No, it's comparing off the shelf defense in depth.
Windows has excellent oftt the shelf defense in depth. In fact, it's using ideas originally written for Linux. Linux does not have these off the shelf, it requires further work. Distributions do not include these patchsets by default.

As for this vulnerability, it's C as usual. Whatever the autists in the thread say, it's much better to rewrite plumbing in memory safe languages than to have these retarded fuckups every month.

But that's all that's needed, defense in depth is the only valid security strategy, and if you take something off the shelf and want further defense you usually need to work at it. The only distro that makes it easy for this is Gentoo, but it's technically a metadistribution. So users make the choices.

The only thing that sucks about GNU/Linux is systemd (and its shithead developers and pimps).

The default Linux desktop is ChromeOS and they failed to demonstrate an exploit in it.

It doesn't really matter how much Linux sucks, because it couldn't possibly suck more than proprietary alternatives. No amount of usability justifies giving up your privacy to corporate assholes. Even if the suckage was so bad that Linux was unusable, it would still be preferable to avoid computers entirely as much as possible rather than submit to Win10-level spying.

>not at least lincux
How is this still a thing? Do you newfags not even know what we call people cucks for around here? You're a cuck for using Steam. You're a cuck for going to cuckchan. You're a cuck for living in Sweden or Germany. What do these things have in common? What do these things have in common with Windows?

Read a book

I want to use windows coz the MAGA man who appointed literal billionaire at his government told me so :DDDDD He is so counter establishment, you know.

Mono has a full winforms library, it's just not shipped by the default "mono" package in some distros.

1) Have Windows Pro.
2) Download technet.microsoft.com/en-us/solutionaccelerators/cc835245
3) Follow the recommendations.
4) Profit!

and/or

1) Turn off the DNS client (dnscache) service so applications don't do DNS requests through svchost.exe, and you can define it individually for each app. (maybe set-up dnscrypt too)
2) Learn to use Windows Firewall and only allow programs and protocols which you need.
3) Profit!

or

1) Go to Holla Forums.
2) Keep re-posting articles/screenshots from normalfags and newfags.

Probably the lack of developers
not really, you're just a retard

Post the shorter link so people can watch the vid too: fosdem.org/2017/schedule/event/linux_desktop_versus_windows10/

A comment to 12m 58s or Slide 20:
microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=50802 EMET 5.5 User guide, page 32:
"There is an option for the ASLR setting called “Always On”. This setting will force address space
randomization for binaries that do not specifically support it."
It says it is unstable, but I set it up on many systems and the only problem I had was running Virtualbox.

EMET is awesome and it should be the first software you install if you have Windows.

Chris Evans played around with gstreamer cpu emulation and found some flaw. I doubt he just happened to found it as he could spam the internet with his exploits, but after an iOS thing he didn't posted anything about Linux at all. I don't mind if he or anyone else found exploits against Linux (though i doubt Chrome or Chromium is default in many distro with their automatic download thing). It's good as it's let the devs patch it.

So?

Linux mostly feels just random people merging shit codes together. Went to BSD, installed Enlightenment, now I am a happy panda.

Wasn't there an issue with X11 lockscreens being totally bypassable too?

Not only is that EXACTLY what it is, but git itself was invented specifically for Linux development.

At least it's accidental and not built-in. And we can actually fix it instead of hoping someday MS will close their security holes (which I'm sure they're eager to do).

Not exactly, as the maintainer decides what can land in Linus' mailbox and he also compile it (at last). Testing system is available too. Anyway i don't see how can be any OSS system differ from lkml.

I meant the emphasis is on RANDOM people and SHIT code (most of the time), and I meant it on the Linux desktop ecosystem, not the kernel.

Rust hates dealing with bare metal, I have no idea how you went from something userland like gstreamer to a kernel.

Rust does fine on bare metal, there's an entire proof of concept kernel written in it right now.
userland is the plumbing in this case. it's what the thread is about. you don't see the faggot OP talking about memory corruption vulnerabilities within a few minutes of looking at the kernel, do you?

Give link or GTFO. PoC without proof is just concept.

redox-os.org/
A free Unix-like written in Rust.

Fuck this planet. Fuck it.

Well you're the one posting on a known pedo site so you tell me.