Is anyone else experiencing slowdown on their Vista install?

My grandmother asked me to check her computer because it is "slow".

It turns out that 50% of the CPU was in use when idle.

This changed to 1% when I disabled windows update in services.msc.

It seems likely to me that since the end of support for Vista is near on April 11 2017, microsoft is has decided to backport the botnet framework of Win10 into Vista (previously Windows update only infected Win7 and Win8 with this malware).

What do you guys think?

Other urls found in this thread:

trisquel.info/en/download
pcworld.com/article/253431/microsoft_ending_windows_vista_mainstream_support_on_tuesday.html
catalog.update.microsoft.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Get her a SBC with a solid state drive like a good grandson and fuck off, winfag.

Microshit has had that update taking up 100% CPU on a thread bug for years and their pajeet programmers haven't been able to fix it. Install Gentoo (or Mint since it's your grandma.)

The update service was using disc I/O and you are a complete retard who doesn't know how to defrag your shit

Eternal lolz@ Wincucked Gramma niggas.
Better than eternal tears

at least get her win 7 instead of this shit, it's less bugged and will have support until 2020

This happens with all versions of Windows. If you're using Vista or 7 just disable updates and be very careful.

Go into services and set windows updated to stop, then either manual or disabled. Then download wsus offline and download all the vista updates and apply them manually.

What Linux doesn't have gvsf? I have disable it on Slackware (takes 5 seconds but still).

Windows update always have and always will suck obscene amounts of CPU for little to no reason.
I'm guessing it's because the format of the updates list is is terribly un-optimized, something like a 600,000 lines long TXT file that's downloaded and parsed each update request.

Either way your option is to either leave it be, or set Windows Update to manual and manually install all required updates once every month or something.

What are the needs of your grandma ?
just install her trisquel M8
trisquel.info/en/download

You must be kidding

I mean, you can not install it on any autist distro to begin with.

Disable updates, and update one week after new updates roll out. This is how I solve many of problems for normies using Windows 7, it'll probably work the same for Vista too.

How can anyone sane use Windows Update (in auto mode)? It's basically a backdoor. You let microsoft and NSA install any software and code into your computer at any time.

And microsoft used it to install telemetry malware

pcworld.com/article/253431/microsoft_ending_windows_vista_mainstream_support_on_tuesday.html

I find for some reason on Windows 7 if you haven't updated in a long time and for some god forsake reason have auto update on, Windows Update will just sit there trying to check updates and using half your CPU and RAM. So I guess it's also the case there.

Time to upgrade to Windows 10million, goyim

How to bring Windows 7 up to date:
Set Never Check for Updates and restart
Install KB3020369 and restart
Install KB3125574 and restart
Install KB3138612 and restart
Install KB3145739 and restart
Install latest cumulative monthly rollup: January 2017 (KB3212646) and restart.

Note that today (2/14) is patch day and KB3212646 will be superseded by a new February rollup patch. However these 5 updates will bring you from a clean Win7SP1 install to being able to get all other updates. Use catalog.update.microsoft.com to manually download and install the updates.

Vista, same procedure, except these updates in order.
KB3078601, KB3109094, KB3185911, KB3191203, KB3203859, KB3204723, KB3216775.

Get a real operating system faggots.

If he just needs it for facebook and youtube get him lubuntu

Lay off the meds, for one second.

Sorry I misread grandfather

Just busting you legs for a minute. Nice dubs there Hitler.

your grandma probably clicked on a pozzed link user. get her a noob proof pc

Windows XP got support until 2k38. Beat that.

disable the windows update service then destroy the triggers on task scheduler (set it to disable again)

You do realize that it takes exactly the same amount of effort to type 2k38 as it does 2038, right?

windows update only works on windows 10

the first thing you do on any other windows OS is to completely disable the update service

No it didn't.

Since I don't use Vista, I was unaware of that April market he death of Vista.

POSReady has support until 2019. The other POS versions lose support the same day it's parent OS lose it (2021 for 7, 2023 for 8)

Basically OP, the best thing you could do right now is Install Mint with Cinnamon, install a theme to make it look like Windows (A quick Google search shows this has been done several times for Cinnamon) and make everything look like Windows. If all she does is Facebook or something, this will be sufficient enough to trick her into thinking she's still using Windows.

I did this for my mom, and until she bought the Sims, she had no clue.

You guys probably didn't catch the pun.
2k38 = the *nix date bug. Windows uses *nix and will stop fuctioning in 2k38 plus the Military still use these OS that's why (non-consumer) support would still exist. After 2k38? Who knows, no one's solved it yet. Maybe get the IBM something and build the time machine.

It's not due to drive fragmentation, it's because Rajalakshmi Srinivasarao can't fucking figure out for his life how to fix the Windows Update service so it won't cycle at the drop of a hat while eating an entire CPU core. I had this happen in Windows 7 and I managed to solve it only after trying like the 10th fix I found on Jewgle.