Mfw cobol is the real redpill masterrace language and the cobol programmers have no interest in people knowing is the...

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

MI SHITTY COLLEGE DOESN'T TEACH IT

HOW DO I LEARN IT

Other urls found in this thread:

csis.ul.ie/cobol/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Learn yourself? I sure you can find some books pajeet.

Only shitty colleges teach specific languages. Good ones teach design theory, algorithms, paradigms, math, time/space complexity, and whatnot. Teaching yourself the syntax of a particular language should not be hard and learning the deep tricks to it is mainly a matter of experience.

What the fuck am I reading.
There exist online resources for COBOL. Programming in it pays well, but there is a reason for that: The language sucks massive dick and your work will purely consist of maintaining a legacy codebase written in it, so nobody wants to do it.

cobol is not a great language

The people paid to deal with cobol are extending and maintaining software projects possibly older than them.

The only reason cobol is still in use is the sunk cost fallacy.

To be fair, a lot of these projects deal with bank transactions. You really don't want to fuck around with these if they aren't broken.

Do you mean to say that if a devilish programmer was keen on it, he could make money just....Dissapear?

Actually the banks really are going to move to Java. It will be very slow, but they'll do it. That'll be a well-paying job as well.

That is more like seeing the matrix than taking the redpill.

seeing the matrix is writing/reading/cracking assembly

Corporations like banks demand to have accountable development projects. It doesn't matter if the programmers who wrote the system are dead because they have full systems documentation to explain all levels of the system. Banks are not stupid enough to entrust their systems to lone programmers who hold the keys to the secrets of the source code, all those secrets are fully documented and readable for the next programmer to come in and do maintenance work.

You do not want this do not go down this path you will most certainly die.

I liked this tutorial: csis.ul.ie/cobol/

there are things called books, and believe me there are shitloads of them dedicated to COBOL

that being said.. it pays well for a reason.. it's like someone insisting on vehicles being powered by horses.. and you having to maintain all the horses healthy and find ways to attach the horses to a 2017 prius

It also pays because unlike web development they cannot afford to hire "I finished one tutorial I am programmer now" people because they need systems that will potentially run for decades.

there are entry level cobol jobs you know.

Time to learn cobol.

I feel an office space reference coming on.

Entry level != StackExchange University

If your measure of a language's worth is that 80% of all code uses it then I've got some bad news cause that isn't COBOL you're describing

He's not a pajeet but a spic. I can tell by the pixels and by the filename

Cobol sucks arse. And those systems run on mainframe computers.

If you really want to break into this industry learn about mainframes.

Look up the Hercules emulator and install z/OS on it, if you qualify sign up for IBM's Master the Mainframe program. Also check out pub400.com

There are shitloads of cobol books.

This. You're literallly talking about nested VMs five layers deep where hardware to run the VMs on the lower couple levels doesn't even exist anymore. That's how ridiculous this shit is.

IBM mainframes run all the programs back to System/360 natively. It's no different than running 32-bit x86 programs on a 64-bit x86 processor.

Don't fall for this meme guys, it's not worth it! COBOL code is bad practice and not clean code!!!

COBOL is literally a language for retards. Back in the late 90s this is what they thought in my high schools introduction to programming class.

I wasn't specifically referring to IBM, though. Sure, plenty of systems have good backwards compatibility, but there are a lot of examples like what I was talking about.