Realistic sci-fi

Is there any Holla Forums-related realistic scifi out there?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/k03XTjhu
antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/fiction/accelerando/accelerando-intro.html
stallman.org/articles/made-for-you.html
projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/sealofapproval.php
pastebin.com/40eGW3ER
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

pastebin.com/k03XTjhu
memes

Comphy as fuck tbh

Oh wait, it's 2065, you probably will.

Accelerando:
antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/fiction/accelerando/accelerando-intro.html
Starts out extrapolating current technology a decade or so into the future, and continues from there until you may not consider it realistic any more. Features procedurally generated patents liberated via the "Free Intellect Foundation". Released under a Creative Commons license.

Very autistic AI fiction by Richard Stallman, inspired by the aforementioned book. Worth a mention.
stallman.org/articles/made-for-you.html

Forgot- the part that starts with one (the description of the robot)
Is supposed to go where the robot DM2 is mentioned. The superscript didn't carry over sadly.

Also sorry for doubelposting
The people had a tanned tone, not a tunnled tone.

Are you the author? I wish we were friends. Unironically cool story anyhow.

projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/sealofapproval.php

Yeah, I'm the author. I've often found people either love or hate when I write. Honeslty I'm just trying to get into creative writing as of recently.

Pretty gud 2bqh

Speaking of sci fi, has anyone read this? Ive heard its good.

This might not necessarily satisfy the implied hard sci fi request of OP, but I will say that the first book of the MaddAdam series scared the hell out of me in the best way. The rest of the series is quite good.

The first chapter of Accelerando reads like something Stallman might cream himself to. I lost interest after that.

Black Mirror is very Holla Forums-oriented in its themes, not as much with its technology. Worth torrenting.

I think the detail you put into fleshing out the setting is one of the strengths of this. The protagonist is also pretty relatable, you gave him just enough character to be meaningful, but not so much that he seems like another person and I can't project onto him.

I'd say the weakness is that after he goes to the store, the momentum that had been building up starts kinda fizzling. Once the unexpected shipping delay is discovered, I get the feel that this story is going to be not about his ordinary life but that we're right at the beginning of something extraordinary happening. But then he just goes to the store and tries buying his macguffin, and that's it. Although obviously you meant for it to continue with him trapped in the city with no transportation and trying to find a way back. Which is to say write more phaggot

It seems like a very normalfag-tier show. I'll grant that it tries to go 100x further than more traditional TV scifi, but it obsesses far too much over superficial shit that only irrelevant lower middle class normies care about: iphones, jewgle glass, fecesbook etc. It's like if someone in the 80s made a scifi about VCRs becoming huge in 2010 and everyone communicating by mailing those little camcorder tapes in envelopes. They make zero effort to recognize any underlying currents that give rise to popular culture, and act as if pop culture is a thing unto itself, with no corporations or media driving it, and no industrial technology generating its consumer toys.

basically videodrome right there

Long live the new flesh.

I'll need a bit more convincing-- Attwoood was my ex's gateway into Intersectional Misandry Feminism.

Its not really Holla Forums related, but Rendezvous with Rama was a good hard sci-fi book. The first one written by Clarke, anyway. I never read the sequels.

And this is problematic how?

honestly the plot is kind of weak because I never outlined stuff. Maybe today I'll try doing a proper outline. Also there are a lot of in-jokes, so a lot of my normie friends were confused when I showed them it.

I've read Handmaid's Tale and also some other short novel about this teacher or whatever who's a dumb slut and leaves her six figure-earning alpha fiancee to fuck some penniless numale english lit grad student. I think she's a talented writer, and pretty creative, but you have to consciously ignore the main theme and look for the good stuff in the subtext, because she is completely obsessed with the retarded radfem of her generation. On the bright side at least it's slightly less degenerate than modern feminists, she is mostly pro-woman and only neutral on gays (mostly lesbians). I don't remember trannies or other such millennial degeneracies in her writing.

I'd cautiously recommend Handmaid's Tale because the setting is neat. You do get a big ole serving of muh oppressive patriarchy, but at least it's developed from an alternate history perspective. Also her alternate history is kind of funny given that it's basically a cucked&pozzed prophecy of Trump America.

She's breddy gud for a woman but barely half as good as the better male writers.

I know, was just trying to offer constructive criticism.

Oh, did it sound like I was trying to make an excuse or something? Sorry, I meant to convey actually agree with your criticism.
I didn't get to writing more this afternoon, but I got some ideas. If I don't collapse after courses tomorrow evening, I'll probably write a bit more

Charles Stross is a pretty shitty writer so that's not surprising.

Bump for sci fi and this book

necromancer, william gibson

Do you mean neuromancer?

I read this book about ten years ago, so my recollection is fairly hazy.
Tad Williams is a good writer: I have some vivid memories of scenes from that book. Usually not even long or particularly interesting scenes. One, for example, is one of the main characters hooking into the Net via a harness at her university because she can't afford a set at home. The harness is used to prevent one from walking into things. Not very interesting, or all that important in the grand scheme, but it's stuck with me.

The book is centered around the Net and happenings on and off it (that's the Holla Forums angle) but is otherwise not all that sci-fi. Closer to fantasy as I remember it.

I don't recall the middle third of the book (it's about 1000 pages), and I didn't understand the ending.
I have, however, recently brought the remaining books in the series on a whim:
River of blue fire
Mountain of black glass
Sea of silver light

Perhaps it's time to reread the first one.

How are the other books?

pastebin.com/40eGW3ER
I wrote more phaggot
Prologue to something a bit larger I'm working on
hope you like it.

Also It's a rough draft so I get to deflect any criticism and never improve grammatically

Bump?

Yes. Niggas need to read this

I'd like to say to keep an eye on Starpoint Gemini Warlords, a space real-time RPG where you captain a ship and a nation that's in Early Access. However a ton of it is currently fluff, "space anomalies" are unrealistic, and the map's solar system is quite silly. Still, the developers are trying to encourage modders and the framework is there for a decent mod that can be far more in the real world.

Trying to encourage modders to give them 80% of their earnings, maybe.

Anyone read the Three Body Problem series?

Interesting take on how technology (or the fear of it) warps society and the direction of civilization; also explores the (catastrophic) long term effects of first contact.

Also, band wagoning on Neuromancer - Gibson's Sprawl trilogy is stellar.