Secure and private messagers

are there any good normie friendly messagers for myself and friends? ive been looking at wire and it seems to tick all the boxes. (pic related) they seem to be having an audit being conducted and they're going to open source their server software in Q1.

mostly curious of yalls thoughts on it, if anyone uses it, or what you do use.

Other urls found in this thread:

riot.im
matrix.org/
rtcquickstart.org/guide/RTCQuickStartGuide.pdf
x41-dsec.de/reports/Kudelski-X41-Wire-Report-phase1-20170208.pdf
matrix.org/docs/guides/faq.html#what-is-the-difference-between-matrix-and-xmpp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

We are not here to serve you. All of the messengers you listed are bullshit and you should just use an IRC

hello?

Tox you fucking asshole

riot.im

In terms of things normies can use, Tox and Signal.

how is IRC secure?

are you using Windoze™ or something? this looks like poop.

Written in unsafe language, and normies are logged in as admins
Requires (((mobile phone)))

I've been thinking of trying this.
matrix.org/
matrix itself seems fine, the only thing I need to check out still is the various client implementations. It won't matter how nice the protocol is if the clients are bad.

Wire seems nice but I prefer decentralized systems if I can, just because I like self hosting. I don't trust others to stay in business or not change their business model, I know that I will be hosting a server for something I use for as long as I'm using it.

Mumble is pretty normie friendly for voice and text and is secure (But you have to teach them how to add a server to there client.), Signal is what I've changed over because its much more normie friendly and you have complete control when messages should be deleted and its like muh whatsapp so setup is very easy. Bitmessage is also a very bit of software as well.

I like Ricochet. Normies may want more than text messaging (although the "more" can be used to deanonymise you). The answer depends on your threat model really.

???

Depends on what private means for you.

For p2p messaging, you should use Retroshare.Not available for mobile yet, but it is the best option for desktops. Though if you don't trust your ISPs (and the route), you should use it with Tor, otherwise they can see who you are contacting with.

For server based messaging, there are only 2 protocols worth to mention: SIP and XMPP. There are many easy-to-use mobile and desktop clients for both of them. For desktops, the most user friendly are Jitsi and Gajim. For mobile SIP Linphone. For mobile XMPP client there are too many choices, pick one you like.
You can set up your own servers with relative ease, here is a short guide if you want to do that: rtcquickstart.org/guide/RTCQuickStartGuide.pdf

If you have friends who are relentlessly refusing to switch application or platform, you can show them how to use Facebook's onion address and how to turn on end-to-end encryption in the Facebook Messenger app.

i think wickr messenger might be good

This
Restroshare uses PGP to encrypt your message
And you can use tor if needed.

I wish that a messenger would implement the gnunet network.

Anyway if you use IRC their are options existing to use it with pgp.

matrix / riot

apparently matrix is objectively better than XMPP but the app for it is bad and drains battery. i prefer XMPP. conversations for android is so sexy plus it seems a lot more normalfag friendly than discord-looking riot. just send everybody to make accounts on a server (or run your own), get everybody to install conversations, and boom. easy encrypted messaging.

I love Conversations. Great encryption, easy to use, VERY easy on the battery. I never notice a difference in my daily battery life with it on or off.

x41-dsec.de/reports/Kudelski-X41-Wire-Report-phase1-20170208.pdf

Wire's audit is out now.

pick any 1

Can you elaborate a bit on this? I'm not too familiar with either but would like to be. The idea of XMPP appeals to me, in the sense that it's decentralized and obviously extensible. If matrix is just a better XMPP I'd like to learn about it and use it.

XMPP + OTR

You mean OMEMO.

matrix.org/docs/guides/faq.html#what-is-the-difference-between-matrix-and-xmpp