Tech Upgrades

ITT: Post your most satisfying tech upgrades.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Mbt1EjDcCHU
youtube.com/watch?v=lvtfD_rJ2hE
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_remanence#Feasibility_of_recovering_overwritten_data
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

GTX 760 > RX480 for me.

Normal Mouse to Silent Mouse

laptop keyboard to old found dustbin ps2 ibm mechanical keyboard

Bought a brand new MacBook Pro with Retina®. Status: Upgraded.

Gtx 780 > 1070 + corsair psu > seasonic

Got it for free when my psu fried itself and my 780

Do you know it is a sin to be homosexual. You need to repent.

Unicomp keyboard, still going strong. Recently X200 to X200T.

best keyboards.

no server > $300 server

Having trouble finding the specific appeal.

youtube.com/watch?v=Mbt1EjDcCHU

wut

youtube.com/watch?v=lvtfD_rJ2hE

The feel and durability is still great, and I actually use the extra Windows buttons for controlling the window manager. Also USB, albeit with a few minor issues on some USB hubs.

GTX 970M > GTX 1080 external GPU (Razer Core)

Does the Core work on non-Razer products?

Well switching my couple of cheap HDDS in RAID0 out for a nice SSD recently was a massive fucking disappointment.

Why?

Going from an android tablet and bluetooth keyboard, to a chromebook that I gutted ChromeOS from and replaced with GalliumOS. Now I've got a genuine x86 Linux laptop that isn't much bigger or heavier than a tablet, runs Xfce, gets about 14 hours battery life, has no moving parts, and isn't part of any botnet. And it cost less than $200.

I have the same setup, works great and only cost me around $80
Do you have the issue with Gallium where it won't properly shutdown?

/g/ to Holla Forums

Removing pulse audio from my gnu linux and use alsa instead.

I don't have any serious power down issues. I'm using an Acer CB3-131-C5RA. It does sometimes take several minutes to power down, but it always does in the end. Occasionally sleep doesn't kick in when I close the lid, but a logout/login always solves that.

Aside from that, no issues at all. And I love how cards in the SD reader on this model don't stick out from the body. I can leave a 128GB card in there 24/7 as my main storage.

And I love the display on this thing. Matte IPS for the fucking win. My colorimiter reports it as 99% sRGB, 75% AdobeRGB, 74% NTSC. For under $200, I can live with that.

Atom with a dying 45mm fan as home server to fanless E-350

Indeed

from windows 8.1 to linux mint

>he doesn't know seasonic is the OEM for top-end corsair PSUs or at least was last I checked

user getting out of raid 0 is reward enough

Under what circumstances? Idle, sleep, in use, web browsing, etc? To me, 14 hours seems like an unreal amount of time for the battery to last.

14 hours in-use, mostly web browsing. Screen at half-brightness (which is still pretty bright), and wifi always on. I'm sure that software-decoding movie playback would eat up more battery but that's something I rarely do.

It's got a pretty big battery for what's basically a fanless machine with a tablet-class CPU and chipset. It's no number-crunching powerhouse but it's ridiculously power-efficient.

Every time I get a new screen with better contrast and color depth.
Waiting for 10bit OLED screens that doesn't cost more than a new car.

Nothing beats the first time you replace your HDD with an SDD.

I'm waiting for OLEDs that don't burn-in before buying into that technology. I'm sticking with IPS LCD until then. It's not the best tech, but it's pretty damn good, and good value for money.

3 button mouse -> 5 button mouse

Those two thumb buttons are deceptively useful.

I have the Acer C-720. The screen's not that great but it works for what I need it for.

I was considering the C-720 instead of the CB3-131 for a few reasons, but the superior display of the CB3 won me over. I'm an amateur photographer and I wanted a portable that would display accurate colors on a proper IPS panel.

The really funny thing is that my Macbook Air-owning friends have to suffer with the awful color inaccuracy of the garbage TN panels in the Airs. They can't believe that I spent one-fifth of what they did, and got a vastly superior display.

I thought I'd see more significant speed improvements but the difference isn't that big. The most significant difference is no longer having to deal with GNU distros' typical complete fucking horseshit integration with dmraid and hardware-assisted software RAID.

I buy low end screens and literally every one has worse contrast than the last. Current is an Acer IPS which has shittier contrast than the last ~6yo Acer. Then I have a really old hp LCD that has no noticeable ghosting while the newer screens do.

And they are all shittier than the old IBM Trinitron I used to have.

Nice screens are just too expensive for a poorfag these days when you can get shitty acer for $100 and some change

Got a 40 MB hard disk for my Amiga 500. It came with a couple extra megs RAM too.

no phone to smartphone

Epyx Fastload cartridge, made floppy disk access something like 5 times faster

TN > IPS monitor

Holy shit the color depth is off the charts, i'll never buy another TN monitor ever again.

Amen. It's like night and day, ain't it? Especially now that you actually have real reds, and not that awful orange that passes as "red" on a TN.

Looking at black cars in GTA V, I can't even see them at night. At daytime it looks night and day better than with the TN panel.

Using my mom's old windows xp desktop to a brand new windows 7 laptop

No GPU > 960 > 1060

Radeon HD 3650 >> Radeon HD 6870
Felt light years ahead at the time

2.53Ghz Pentium 4 -> 2.13Ghz Core2duo

HDD -> SSD
Sure, getting a computer with a new CPU/GPU was nice, but the performance increase from the SSD is more noticeable even for general usage.

Take a look at cheaper Samsung models. Colour is average, it wasn't an improvement over my old trusty Trinitron, but I needed more screen space. I've had this SyncMaster for seven years and it has never given me any problems with ghosting.

~2010 laptop (i3-370M, 4GB RAM, integrated graphics) > 2015 build (i5-4690K, 8GB RAM, GTX 970)

Also a close second is:

$30 membrane keyboard and mouse combo > CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate + Logitech G602

I waited forever to get an SSD and in the end just got some cheap PNY ones and was blown away.

The only thing I don't like is that it seems unclear that when data is deleted that it's actually deleted. With a HDD you could always wipe.

There were only a few Nutbursts CPUs that were "good" and they were crazy high end ones that tbh in single thread are still okay today. But 99% of them were utter garbage in every single way

Thank you, I am being honest when I say that my very recent Acer (R240HY bidx 23.8-Inch IPS HDMI DVI VGA (1920 x 1080) Widescreen Monitor) is garbage in several ways compared to some random HP LCD from literally when Windows Vista was released.

Yeah, the Acer is way thinner and makes no heat while the HP is hot on the top all the time, but the ancient HP looks better in most ways, like if I display a gradient, or the ghosting. If you check the review on the Acer people apparently think it's the shits tits for the price, and maybe for the price it's okay but I kind of think it's just shit.

The old HP also does 75hz which is nice. Honestly the colors just dont match at all if I use them side by side but overall in every way the random OEM HP from when Vista was released is better, unless you want more yellow color which the Acer seems to like a lot.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_remanence#Feasibility_of_recovering_overwritten_data

Best way to clear a drive is to have one that is automatically encrypted, and just delete the key.

That's what I figured, FDE, because an SSD with all of those controllers (basically entire computers on their own) you have no idea what it's doing. Same basically applied to modern HDDs just not to the same extent.

I don't know if I care enough but it would be nice if hardware manufacturers acted like they cared about their consumers more than the NSA and tried to make hardware that acts in the consumers interest and tried to provide enough documentation to show that is true.

When reading about the controllers on SSDs and HDDs or any USB storage.. ehh not good

I hate to be captain obvious, but have you tried messing around with the settings? They often have a series of "modes" that severely affect color and quality.

Also, color calibrating is a must for a monitor. You can use a hardware tool, or you can use software windows has something built in) to fudge things around.

And I use redshift on both but it comes out way more yellow on the acer if that makes sense. If I don't use redshift the acer is insanely bright (because that sells to normies apparently under fluorescent lighting at bestbuy).

I actually do mess around with that a lot, booting between different OS and whatnot. I don't even think the Acer is terrible it's just not as good as the ancient OEM HP. It's brighter, it's more yellow, it ghosts specifically in the situation where a black text is on a blue background (like here) and the ghost is white colored. I had another Acer 1080p that was like maybe 7 years old and it didn't have these problems, but it died years ago. I bet this one lasts longer due to the different backlights and that it stays room temp, but it's always this tradeoff for less image quality.

I'll let it go now

$8 quality cpu cooling
$5 psu cooling

Now is almost noiseless. Only HDD

when I upgraded my core 2 duo with a 25$ intel xeon

144hz monitor

Replacing 4GB of RAM with 8...

Hardware: replacing a desktop machine with an X series thinkpad.
Software: migrating all my data and OSs to full-disk crypto.

You can modify redshift coloring in redshift.conf.