ITT: Americans ruining subtitles

ITT: Americans ruining subtitles.
It's HOLD THE FORT, not HOLD DOWN THE FORT!
What the fuck is "hold down the fort" supposed to mean? It'll fly away if one of us isn't holding it down? "Hold the fort" makes perfect sense, we're defending the fort together and and the speaker can't do it for while so we have to step in and HOLD THE FORT!
Seriously, what the fuck are they even thinking when they say this, or worse, write it down? It's the same with "couldn't care less" and "could care less", do they even proof-read their own work?

Other urls found in this thread:

merriam-webster.com/video/could-care-less-or-couldnt-care-less
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

have you considered it could've been:
bad original writing
bilingual translator not familiar with American idioms

I'm pretty sure that's not the exact phrase they used
That's the thing, Americans say "hold down the fort" in conversations.

"Hold down the fort" is an English idiom that is used in colloquial speech, and idioms are typically used to express entire concepts, which is convenient for circumventing the the time that it takes to convey them using formal speech. "Hold down the fort" communicates the implied existence of a single soldier, who is being bombarded by enemy fire, that is capable of maintaining their mental, physical, and emotional composure, in a time of duress, in order to uphold their duty and complete the tasks to which they are bound by responsibility. In this sense, if you are able to work well under strenuous circumstances, and you have demonstrated a proficiency in certain qualities to your superiors, then you could be said to be trustworthy enough to "hold down the fort."

Idioms, like speech, evolve over time. You may not like it, but variances will occur.

It evolved into nonsense. "Hold the fort" makes perfect sense, can't even blame the change on laziness since it has less syllables.

That's just, like, your opinion, man. Although, I do agree with you about "could care less," as the initial phrasing implies that you have "no more fucks to give," and the rephrasing implies that some part of you cares just a little bit, which makes no sense when trying to communicate the idea that you don't care at all.

merriam-webster.com/video/could-care-less-or-couldnt-care-less
might have evolved the other way around, though

While we're on the subject, it pisses me off that some people have decided that the .gif file extensions is pronounced with a soft 'G'. What the fuck is wrong with these retards?

but obviously "couldn't" is the one the logician would say is correct, while the other means "at this moment i do have the ability of exerting more care" which could imply having the capacity to care more, but simply choosing not to

just chill your autists tits

Couldn't makes sense
Could doens't
Couldn't is superior, we should all be using it
That's it, end of discussion.

The fake subtitles for Rapeman was fucking solid. I never laughed so much in my entire life.

Random question. Any user know a good place to download good quality older anime. All the best versions I found have watermarks on them. Assholes didn't even sub it, yet they still have the audacity to put thier logo on it.

i am one of those assholes who did that ama

Were the guys that worked on it buddies or was this strictly professional shitposting?

im jus kidding i wasn't sorry for misleading you
what are some good older anime's you recommend to someone who's never watched anime before?
im lookin for something to do

So you're so stupid as to think that it couldn't have been the japanese who wrote poorly and the american translators translating it right? No attempt at critical thought was made from this post. Sage.

I disagree it's actually said: "no more gives to fuck".

What you in the mood for? Comfy romance, mecha, or fantasy?

honestly, mecha sounds best (assuming that's like sort of sci-fi)
fantasy comes in 2nd
romance ehh don't want

I might be giving too much credit but I've wondered if the "down" didn't come from people saying "batten down the hatches and hold the fort". My grandparents always used to say them in tandem a lot, especially sarcastically, like when we were leaving and they were going to take a nap.

Huh, that's an interesting hypothesis, but I doubt it's the case.

"Hold the fort" is a military idiom. "Hold down" means to temporarily occupy something with difficulty, as in "holding down a job". American English has combined the two in a perfectly sensible way.

I'm not having great difficulty sitting in my house.

It is for Americans.

oh god do you say jiff i hate that shit… gi-if not jiff its not fucking peanut butter man

Apparantly it sounds like a brand of peanut butter.
The reason americans do it is because they can't stop thinking about food.

The creator of it deliberately chose the soft G to resemble the peanut butter brand while deciding on its pronunciation. It used to be that the only people that pronounced it with the soft G only did it because they knew of its history, somewhere down the line though I think normalfags found out about it and thought it was 'lel so quirky xDDD' and tried to bring it back into popular use.

irregardless, your a fag

It's "Graphics Interchange Format" not "Jrafic"

Are you pretending to be retarded?

Ameriflap detected.

"I could care less" is short for "I could care less, but it would take effort." Fuck off.

Are you serious?

'i should care less' =/= i could care less

You're just making shit up now.
I couldn't care less makes perfect sense. "I could care less" is just Americans being retards, ask someone "what is I could care less short for" and they wouldn't answer like you.

It's true; look it up, my friend.

I don't see how that's relevant. The truth is still the truth even if the layman is ignorant of it.

All "evidence" I could find was a reddit post. Nobody thinks they're saying what you're saying when they do this.

Are you sure?