When have you ever seen a normal functioning person using GNU/Linux...

When have you ever seen a normal functioning person using GNU/Linux? Windows will work fine out of the box while GNU/Linux requires firmware to be installed along with other software and even then, something is bound not to work properly. Now you could say that Windows is more susceptible to viruses and malicious code, but if you use common sense, this will never be a problem and the majority of software programs work absolutely fine with Windows when all you have to do is double click on a file or icon. Not being paranoid every day of my life and having a great computer with loads of support and recognition feels damn nice.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/wine-compholio/wine-staging/wiki/Installation
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Quite the opposite is true, OP.

No, many distros like Ubuntu include enough software and device drivers to get you going out of the box. Wincucks are just delusional, and attempting to justify their paying money for the privilege of being spied on whilst using inferior software.

When have you seen a normal, functioning person make shit threads like this to incite flamewars?
Protip: never. It's always some faggot desperate for attention.

Define normal functioning person. If you just mean normalfag, when's the last time they used common sense?

That scenario you just typed is literally not a thing that actually happens normally for most people

On Holla Forums?
But yes, is a troll thread.

I personally attempted to install GNU/Linux onto my computer, and I simply could not get my wireless card to work. I installed the correct drivers and even had the most up to date kernel with the proper non-free urls specified within the computers text files. Windows on the other hand, worked straight out of the box without a hassle and since its installation, I have yet to encounter a problem that requires me to tinker with my system. The GNU/Linux philosophy is great and I am all for free software, but I am not paranoid enough to do it completely, and GNU/Linux has proven to be extremely difficult to work with.

another variant of the same "pretending to be retarded" copypasta

go fuck yourself op

For a lot of older obscure software, yes it is.

A "normal, functioning person" can't handle Windows, much less Linux.

That's a common mistake GNUfags make: Normalfags are technologically illiterate so the OS they use is completely irrelevant.

wrong again, buckaroo.

It's happened on literally every machine I've built, even modern ones.

You're a fucking retard. It's literally just running windows update and it does this for you.

Except when it doesn't, which is 99% of what happens.

You're either a turbo-normie or a terrible shill for Microsoft

topkek

This made my day. Thanks user.

topkek

Capped for future Micro$oft shill threads

Eat shit.
Feel damn nice.

How much are they paying you, Pajeet?

less than you

2 rupees, Pajeet.

Normal functioning people use Mac OSX because it just works.

In my line of work (programming), I see it all the time.
Not with a bunch of programming languages. That's usually easier with Linux.

Just about every other person uses linux mint or ubuntu at my uni, as far as I've been told you just update after installing and you're all set for linux mint. You do need to instill unrestricted codec pack for ubuntu though.

Been running Mint for a year now and never bothered to learn even the basics of linux. Is there a linux bible or manual that'll explain everything and provide depth when wanted? I don't plan on becoming a programmer or linux enthusiast, just want to know how to upate the system, install updates for packages tried installing updates, qbittorrent was added in the ppa and it didn't update, I had to manuall update it, learn some neat terminal commands and make sure it's secure.

During the installation, at one point, it asks whether or not you want to install anything extra. You only need to tick the checkbox for additional codecs to get mp3s and whatever else is in that pack. It's been a long time since I've used Mint, but if I'm remembering right, it asks you for the same thing but has the box checked by default.

That stuff varies depending on your distro. One of the "fun" things with Linux is that every distro is a bit different than the others. Different distros use different package managers, so finding out which one your distro uses is a good start. If it's derived from Debian, it almost definitely uses the "apt-get" command for package management; Ubuntu, and all its derivatives (such as Mint) are part of the Debian family tree, so they do too. Entering "man apt-get" into a terminal to see its manual is a good place to start learning how it works.
Mint has a software center of some sort, and most of the beginner distros do too, but in my experience they tend to be very slow for doing anything.
For neat terminal commands, give grep a shot. Have a big text file and want to find one part quick? "cat filename.txt | grep some_word".

install Synaptic Package Manager. It's much nicer if you just want a simple checklist of all the stuff you have and can get.

apt. sudo apt x packagename, where x can be install, remove or purge remove but also delete configs. There's also sudo apt update, which updates your packages, and sudo apt upgrade, which downloads new ones and upgrades them.

Think back to those old mail order catalogs. You get a catalog, you pick what you want and send away for it. If you want more to choose from, you get a second catalog.
Linux package repos are the same. You have your default catalog or repository which has all the software you can get. You tick the ones you want and hit install and it orders them for you. If you want stuff that isn't in your catalog/repo, you add a new catalog/repo that covers those things.

For a practical example, let's say you want Wine Staging. It's the experimental version of Wine, and it's where all the cool features come from. You use "sudo apt search wine-staging" and get nothing. You open your browser and look for wine-staging and you get here: github.com/wine-compholio/wine-staging/wiki/Installation
Now click Mint and you'll get your instructions. First line adds the catalog/repo, second updates your packages so your system knows what is available. Third installs wine-staging.

Every distro that isn't Slackware, Puppy Linux and Gentoo will follow the repo method. Slackware's difference is that it has minimal repos, and you're expected to build the rest yourself. Also if a package requires another, it won't tell you. Puppy focuses on GUIs, and I don't know if they have a CLI package manager at all. Gentoo builds everything from source, but has a neat layer that makes it easy.

Why did GNU/Linux have such an issue with wireless card detection for the longest time anyway? Are there really that many different wireless cards out there that need such a wide variety of different drivers?

See Unix For the Beginning Mage, which teaches you the basics of the command line. It doesn't take long to read.

www.unixmages.com/ufbm.pdf

Thanks.

Thanks for an in depth explanation, great stuff.

So I read, I don't mind using a debian based distro for now but I feel eventually moving on to a better more simplistic distro without systemd. Thanks.

I already dualboot linux and windows, but I need windows 7 for work stuff that I can't get on Linux. Is there a list of essential security updates pre telemetry updates I need? I only use browse Holla Forums and other safe sites on windows but I need flash and feel more vulnerable with it. I use noscript and a few addons like that for more security but still figure I need critical security updates for windows 7.

Also I need flash player and I read that adobe doesn't update flash for firefox and only chrome, does iridium still phone home to google and does it recieve flash updates? Thanks.

Need updates for windows 8.1 too.

Workstations and Servers don't use WiFi, and it is inherently insecure.

Because most Wi-Fi hardware is built by the same dog-eating nation that only knows how to steal and produce bad knockoffs of everything else, but this stuff is also trying to solve an increasingly hard DSP problem with per-unit price constraints.

For every transistor on that silicon there's at least 5 corners being cut for shekels, and those end up being worked around by a BSOD-prone windows driver hacked together in 2 weeks by some underpaid intern working with only engrish PDFs of register documentation (or if they're unlucky, they speak mandarin natively).

Linux has to reverse engineer all that bullshit from scratch, as does every other OS. The main difference from windows is that it moves past the "barely working" phase over time.

Why else do you think the likes of Google and Apple are spending billions to buy chip manufacturing companies exclusively in the West? They know you can't make high quality products out of chink excrement.

The normies so excruciatingly out of touch with everything outside of their social circle as to think like this dont post here.
The only other people who use terms like "normal, functioning person" in this context are desperate, self loathing autists who hate their existence and everyone else they interact with.

I'm a dirty normie and I have been running mint for two years now. No issues. I don't know how to to use terminal beyond the system wide update, don't understand all this stuff about repositories and packages either. Mint is certainly normie friendly, since even a retard like me can use it. Yet most normalfags don't give a shit about Linux. Some younger normalfags don't even know what Firefox is. I work at a school where I tried to convince the principal to begin using a Linux distribution and libre software. The computers are dated so I figured that Linux would up the speed a bit and reduce the number of time wasting crashes along with saving the school money. The leader of the IT team argued that there is no support for Linux, if anything happens you can't give pajeet a call for assistance. Personally I suspect he believed that without the issues that windows causes, the jobs of some of his fellow IT workers would be threatened.

t. Normalfag biology teacher, pls no bully

Oh shit, meant to post in stickied thread.

That is the problem, and it's why people should use un-bubbled forums like anonymous boards and IRC more.

Every other website is building a social bubble around people so they start to think that everyone else is like them.

That does not encourage tolerance and I think that is the reason this whole self-righteousness is so common now a days, they don't give shit about tolerance even if they preach it.

They want to eliminate fascists with fascism. They want to stop homophobia with phobia against homophobes. It's just stupid.

I run Trisquel on a Librebooted X60. I'm a teacher.