How do the younger generation view the movie theater?

Attention all "18" - 24 year olds

No doubt a few teenagers are here, and I'm most interested in how your age treats the cinema, so just say "18" if you're under.

I'm curious about how the younger generation watches movies in the actual physical theater. I'm curious because I grew up in the 56k, Blockbuster, VHS era and I remember when going to the movies was an event with a sacred feeling to it. You couldn't download shit, you had to wait months or over a year for a movie to be released on VHS for rent. The theaters were the only way to access these movies. Going to see the latest hyped hit seemed to have more cultural power than they do in today's environment. In on-demand, netflix, torrents of today I can't imagine the movie theater holds the same sacred and rarefied place in young peoples hearts and cultural development that it did to my generation. It's impossible as it has been watered down.

I'm turning 32 years old and over the past 9 years or so I've almost completely stopped going to the movies in the theater, but the cinema experience was one of the most significant of my maturation. Going to your first rated R movie alone was a big deal. When a neighborhood kid with cool parents let you rent a rated R movie like Terminator 2 it was hot shit, you felt like you had contraband. This was before internet videos desensitized us to violence; horror movies still had their place in the culture, if you could get the brutal ones you felt wicked and sly; today they are genre schlock, callbacks, and irrelevant in comparison the the real gore that surrounds us online every day.

So, to the young, how would you compare yourselves to this attitude that the early Millennials feel towards movie theater culture? And what have been your cinema habits in recent years and during your formative years? Does my description of the movie and cinema experience gel with your own, or would you say the media culture of your youth changed the significance of the movie theater experience?

It's not so much about cinemas but the movies and the industry are just shit nowadays. It doesn't matter how you watch them.

Films were interrupted, people would come selling ice creams, this is how I kmow the girl I was found of was masturbating a jerk/capitain of the football team.

I'm 27 and I haven't been to a movie theatre since high school. they also don't make for good dates in my opinion, and they cost more than they're worth, so I have absolutely no reason not to just wait till i can pirate or netflix or whatever and watch something with my wife on the couch at home.

lol was hoping this would be first post. I (op) have just been wondering about this due to my advancing age. Am I just an old cruddy duddy disconnecting with the culture or has movie culture died out anyway?

need to breed before their ovaries shut down fam. And then you have an affair with a 14 year old on the side.

27, advancing age.
t. kurt cobain

Too many people in them, smelly seats drenched in cum, piss, shit and soda, speakers too loud, can't take a shit without missing the plane scene.

Do you see your mistake?

I honestly think the changing demographic vs the 90s contributes to this. More multicultral cities means more disgusting theaters.

If you live in an area only rich people can afford to visit the theaters are nice, other than that the Brazil esque hoards of subhumans will quickly ruin the place

If you have a wife or girlfriend you don't belong here.
t. peter pan

youre prob right I would probably find more normies on 4chan honestly.

Talking about autism like it was a curse
No it is a gift.

>>>/wizardchan/

The beginning sounded like The Cure.
I would have call her out if she wasn't a girl.

>>>Holla Forums

It's full of little shits who talk and use their phones during the whole movie. Plus you have the niggers who bring in their screeching little monkey babies into R-rated movies. The seats are nasty beause people can't go 90 minutes without stuffing their face with salty snacks and carbonated syrup.

I used to enjoy my local theater when I first started driving. Me and my friends would just walk in without paying and see multiple movies. The theater is gone now and so is my enjoyment of watching movies in theaters. I would love to go to a theater where only adults are allowed or at least one in an upscale white city.

Thank you user. That was beautiful

was it really?

the datamine meme is ridiculous. Only like list surveys or "fill in these squares" could even technically be used as a survey and datamine.

Nope.avi

Yes. Where did you find this artist?

>>>/reddit/

Tell that to vid related.

Get?

Get.

23y fucking hate it, its loud as hell theres people in it other than me and I can't lie down

You don't say.

I forget honestly.

I went to see Jack Reacher 2 with a friend.
We were 2 of like 6 people in the theater.

A few years ago a friend and I went to the cinema more than I ever had in my life because we had some card that let us watch as many movies as we wanted. It was alright, but not as special as I remember the 90s to be. As you said, it was considered to be a kind of special occasion for quite a while about 80 fucking years or so, but we have easier access and (presumably) more money nowadays, so it has lost its magic.

There are movies which are obviously aimed towards cinema go-ers, such as Gravity, but there is much less incentive to go anymore.

That's why you wait until a movie's been out for a few weeks and go to a local cinema at an unpopular time. Cheaper tickets and empty screenings all to yourself.

I enjoyed them until around the spring of last year when they instituted a no singles policy in my area. Turned away at the door. Fuckin normies man.

Everything's gonna be fine.

How was it growing up tho? when you were younger did you go often? netflix replace blockbuster or what?

guys this thread is about how young people view the movie theaters, not about old people going in present day

Okay, 17fag here fresh from reddit. I think the movie theater is more about the experience than movies themselves. For my generation its like the library- it more about the atmosphere and social aspects. I mean who the fuck reads books anymore? You can't stay inside all the time.

How was that? Does that work for your datamine?

I remember when I was a kid going to the cinema was special, too, around the early 2000s. Maybe it's because technology hadn't yet caught on, but I think it's just that you grew up and shit comes cheaper.

Some of us have been around since the beginning of 4chan, we managed to kiss girls/boys and some eventually even get married. It happens.

I was born in the mid nineties and I remember the tail end of this phenomena. I remember being asked when I saw my first R-Rated movie, and when I first went to the theaters alone. I remember waiting a year (seemingly forever) for a movie to come out on VHS. I remember older siblings having friends stay over and marathon rented horror shlock from the previous decade.
I saw Fast and furious last year in theaters with a large group of friends and it was a really enjoyable experience and everyone liked it. IT was strange because we all seemed fascinated and to a large degree the wonder and fun was still there. It just wasn't something that happened often. For sure I've still seen the "lets just pirate it mentality" but a fair number of people dont want to watch ass quality movies over some dude's laptop.

I was born in mid 80s so I would have been the older sib and friends. Renting the Jason and Halloween series and other horror movies were big deals in the early 90s. That shit is gone and gone forever and it's never coming back. That's why horror movies today suck and literally cannot be good. There is no ability to horrify a modern American with internet access.

It is a wonderful experience really. You go in and reserve your seats, and then enter later on. People are quiet and respectful throughout the entire movie.

Don't be antisemitic Goyim, buy your theatre tickets.

Goddamn how I miss being young.
Listen here youngster, in my day, we had 38K and we were damn happy with it. Also, Blockbuster was like a special gift from god, I was lucky enough to have a Blockbuster, AND a local video store on the same street within two blocks of each other.

I was born in '96 (it terrifies me that I'm not underage and b& any more). I do remember the cinema being a decent treat, going to see stuff like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, but I remember we dropped RotS because it got too expensive and AotC was so disappointing. Even when we used to go a lot, it wasn't as much as other people because our only cinema is a shithole that's out of town and my family don't drive.

Before that early 2000s period, I don't remember going to the cinema at all, since I lived in London when I was very young and mostly went to theatres or whatever.

Since my childhood, I've gone to the cinema about once or twice a year to watch a few blockbusters, but even though I've enjoyed some, like True Grit and LEGO Batman, there's been so few that the 'cinema experience' has been worth the £8+ on the door. I think in the last 5 years, it's just been Gravity that impressed me, then when I watched it on TV, even with surround sound, I realised how bloody boring it is without a cinema sound system.

I've started to patronise smaller, independent cinemas more lately, since they usually have more interesting stuff on and the ticket is the same for a much tidier, nicer environment and the actual screening room is often quite grand. I've often thought a revival of the classic cinema model, where you pay to get in then watch whatever you want from a choice of blockbusters, classics and indie/weird, and there's a mix of feature films and shorts would be cool, but I guess streaming services already provide all that.

This is already so fucking long, but even when I was growing up, the VHS/DVD releases didn't trail that far behind the cinema release, so you could pick up the video with the cinema still in your mind, I especially remember that with the early things I got on DVD like Hitchhiker's Guide and the shit Thunderbirds reboot. And I usually found the bargain bin more fun anyway, you found some weird stuff in there. That's still pretty much how I use {(((streaming))) and piracy, finding weird films to watch.

I do think age ratings still hold a kind of prestige, though. Or at least they did. Watching stuff like horror films with my dad, or Tarantino on sleepovers felt pretty fucking cool, and I remember sneaking in to see Run, Fat Boy, Run with pals, which was a 15 and we were 13, and feeling like I was pulling a heist.

They've cottoned onto that round here! Most films either don't drop in price that much over a few weeks, or they just get taken off the roster. They realised it was possible after The Force Awakens, and just kept the prices fixed since then.

OP, you're a millennial as well.

i only go to the theater to laugh at the fat virgin nerds that go alone, i don't even watch the movie.

I know I am. I think anyone born in 1999 should be considered gen z.

Nigger, we got to movie theaters often. It's not a foreign concept for us to go watch a movie where it should be watched. The only ones that wouldn't are the faggots on reddit because "LOL I'll just watch it on Netflix as oppose to watching it at the theater which would support the director and crew and encourage them to make more movies like that but naaah im too lazy XD"
I see movie theaters as a great time, wonderful for dates.