Which text editor is the best and tell me why it's Emacs

I like emacs, but do not brag about it being small. It's fucking massive.

I like how all the kid are reiterate this argument when it's like 30 years old, at the days of the floppy disk.
It was, indeed, bloated at the time, like everything turning with lisp. Lisp is well know to be an incredible language, but who ask for a lot of resources. IN THE PAST.

It's fucking 2017.

I would just want to compare the bloated version of vim, attached with all its shitty extensions to emacs. Since everyone are like comparing emacs with the entire melpa to a "vanilla" vim.

I can command a fucking salad through emacs. Can you though vim?
With today's internet of thing, you can turn emacs into a damn control panel.
Vim is the exact editor of the corporate programmer, who sucks the dick of its employer while giving him all his code.

Pleb.

neovim

except that it's a text editor. I don't want my text editor to receive emails.

Fuck off with your complicated, bloated shitware, stallman. Emacs is crap as a text editor.

It won't receive mail unless you tell it to. You won't even know it's there until you change your mind and look for it.

Emacs is an example of software that tries to do everything but fails badly unless you have spent years to configure it. I want my text editor to be a text editor and easy to use. The fact is, I picked up Vim in a couple days, but when I spent couple days on Emacs, I was still confused as fuck.

It doesn't try to do all those things until you tell it to. They're irrelevant for the ease of learning of the editor itself.

Did you try Emacs before or after Vim?

The issue with Emacs is not so much Emacs itself, as is the autism it (and GNU in gneral) atteacts. Take for example info mode: instead of being just a wrapper around GNU info and calling it for the heavy lifting, they rewrote the entire thing in Emacs Lisp. That's duplicate work for no good reason. Or compare Magit to Fugitive, Magit tries to be an entire program on its own, complete with its own interface. Fugiti e is just a wrapper around Git, if hou know how to use Git, you know how to use Fugitive.

That's not to say that Vim doesn't have its own share of autism, but Vim's autism is mostly limited to Bram. Luckily Neovim has been making great strides to remove his autism from the codebase, which is why my choice of editor is Neovim.

neovim
spacemacs
vs code just disable telemetry :^)
ed

leafpad
kate
geany

notepad
notepad++
atom
brackets
vim donate to those starving ugandan kids dumb goy

jed
vanilla emacs
anything else

It seems that Emacs' info was actually the original implementation of Texinfo, so it has an excuse for existing (if maybe not for still being maintained).

Magit is really really good, and can justify its choice to be a porcelain instead of yet another wrapper.

neovim is cucked by ugandan kids too

Like this user said
Did you do the basic tutorial when you open emacs ?

It's Nano, because it's not an autistic piece of shit that takes months to learn.

whats wrong with nano?

Nothing. It's my editor of choice, especially for config files. It's tiny, does the job of what it's supposed to do, and doesn't require you to learn the editor like vi/vim/emacs/ed/whatever.

Yeah, you could consume your two neurone. It could even make you smarter!! Stay away from learning, or even using your brain.
Use nano.

What is this neuron you speak of?

There is nothing wrong with not knowing how to use a powertool when you don't need it, and you really don't need one for light work like editing config files. I have learned how to use Vim, but that's because I actually need the power, so investing the extra work upfront has paid off in the long run.

I don't see the benefit of spending days, weeks, months or even years in emacs case being forced learning how to use my editor before I can actually use it when I can achieve the same results with nano.

I use Emacs for org-mode. It's incredibly convenient for note-taking, and I can't go back to plain notes. You can even draw tables and apply functions to them, which is neat for quickly analyzing data.

Outside of that I don't really care about Emacs's features. I use CUA keys, because fuck kill rings and yank chains and whatever when I just want to copypaste. One click in the options menu and it goes from convoluted to easier than Notepad, while also having a fuckton of features.

You can't do the kind of heavy editing you can do in Emacs (or in vim, for that matter) in nano. There's nothing wrong with nano - it's what it's trying to be, and what it's trying to be is not a programmable text editor.

In a programmable text editor you can record macros to make repetitive tasks a breeze, hook up a linter or compiler to highlight mistakes in your code, get any feature another text editor has when someone else likes it enough to implement it, edit files over ssh without manually using a shell, and so on. It's filled with things that can make your life easier.

If you just edit configuration files learning a programmable text editor is not worth it. But if you program a lot it absolutely is. You'll surpass nano's results after finishing the built-in tutorial, which isn't that long.

VIS
I
S

Mousepad

For ricers and "programmers" who edit config files.
For programmers who spend all day ricing their editor.
For programmers who want an IDE but don't just use an IDE.
For people who think "neo" makes stale garbage sound futuristic or people who load their lightweight editor with 100s of plugins so it's only 10 years out of date.

org-mode is much, much more than that. Look up org-babel and org-export. See also Evil for vim modes and keybindings on Emacs.

It's incredible how this guy began with an actual argument, and then proceded to shit on it
Emacs was heavy, in the 80s. It would require half your disk space and the majority of your memory, which was something like 8MB
In 2017, we have editors that require 8GB of free disk space just for the core, and the majority of your memory, which is something like 4GB
Compare it to Emacs 25, which needs less than 50MB of disk, and the memory usage hasn't really increased over the years
Of course you can then connect to the internet, use it as a window manager or as an image viewer, or whatever you want, but all of that is optional and it doesn't suddenly happen without the user running the command (mostly because Emacs is single threaded and it would freeze the progam)